Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2023, 22:01   #46
ais
BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I think it is the simple inability of most people to scrutinise their inputs at the pedals/wheel that causes them to forget about the direct dangers
Very good point, because this does happen. That is why I included "car feel" in my post. Decision making must include easing off if there is a risk involved in overtaking. Between the thought to begin the overtaking process (judging the distance and speed of vehicle to be overtaken, reaching a safe distance to peek ahead of that vehicle, checking the rear before peeking ahead of that vehicle, downshifting if required, signaling with the dipper to let the driver know your intention) and the actual commitment to the overtaking, that decision is finalized only when on the side (behind the target vehicle to abort if required) and all is clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
NO. How does one keep everyone safe? Follow the rules. All those drivers broke the rule. Well, except the car recording and the poor campervan guy.
"NO" to what? Following rules has already been mentioned in my post.

Last edited by ais : 5th October 2023 at 22:02.
Old 5th October 2023, 22:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Are these (paid) test drive vehicles ?
No, either rented or most probably their own (in Oberoi's case at least). From the article -

Quote:
According to Italian media, all occupants of the luxury cars took part in the Sardinia Supercar Experience event, which started in Teulada and was set to finish in Olbia.

Over the course of a few days, the participants drive across the island in Ferraris and Lamborghinis, visit viewpoints and stay overnight in expensive hotels.

If tourists travel in their own car, the trip costs £10,409. A multi-day trip in a rental Ferrari SF90 from the organiser can be booked for £21,515.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 22:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A simple but important practice that used to be followed when we had highways of only 2 lanes in total (and applicable very often even today) - Overtake One Vehicle At A Time. The Ferrari didnt follow this.
This is the biggest takeaway for all reading this thread. Always overtake one vehicle at a time. Most car drivers stuck between multiple vehicles will never use the side mirror because they are much focused on the oncoming traffic to effect their own overtake. If you really want to overtake multiple slow moving vehicles with little space between them go the traditional Indian way - Honk till it’s done.
true_sedan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 22:11   #49
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Indians are well equipped to drive on 2 lane roads? Did you see that video. Half the problem was an Indian driver. And, honking is not a legitimate way to 'announce your presence'.
Yes. Indians most certainly drive better in 2 path roads and we definitely anticipate better (here). The Indian driver is driving a LHD vehicle there and no thought how habitually he does that.

I know sounding isn't genuine, however it would have alerted.

Last edited by RGK : 5th October 2023 at 22:13.
Old 5th October 2023, 22:21   #50
BHPian

Noob question: Any information how the Ferrari caught fire? Is it so easy for cars to catch fire on impact? So much so that neither had a chance to get out before it caught fire.
Sufficient_shop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 23:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Yes. Indians most certainly drive better in 2 path roads and we definitely anticipate better (here). The Indian driver is driving a LHD vehicle there and no thought how habitually he does that.

I know sounding isn't genuine, however it would have alerted.
Honestly, Indians are no better. In overtakes of this kind on narrow roads, it is almost always the largesse of the vehicle in the opposite incoming lane which results in a completed overtake. Most often, on such narrow roads, the cars which overtake cut right across the nose of both the vehicle being overtaken and the oncoming one. And very much like in this incident, drive too close to the slowe vehicle and fill up the gap eventually making matters worse for everyone.

It was just overconfidence and possibly entitled feeling which resulted in the accident. I can understand the urge to speed, but can't digest the recklessness and total disrespect for conditions.

I am not sure who was recording the incident. Doesn't look like a dashcam. But, possibly the driver anticipated some incident and kept a safe distance. That's excellent driving. There simply was no point trying to close the gap Or overtake (illegally).

Last edited by theabstractmind : 5th October 2023 at 23:32.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 23:51   #52
BHPian

Both car drivers at fault for crossing the solid line but my thoughts after watching the video clip is that may be both car drivers have anticipated other one to stop, until it's too late. It's difference in driving mentality that cause it.

Lambo driver being Indian may have thought, if I m moving left, then car behind me have seen me moving and will stop or slow down as it usually happens in India. While Ferrari driver being European may have thought, I m already in the left lane, so it's my right of way to go first and Lambo driver would stick to his lane as left lane is not clear to move in.

I think accident would be avoided if both drivers were either Indian or both European.

I
Gummybear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 01:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the Lambo was knocked into the caravan by the Ferrari.
Nope. Watch again, but pay attention to how much of the Lambo is over the line. When the Ferrari starts to aggressively overtake, there are only two wheels across, but just as the Ferrari is right alongside, the Lambo veers left and crashes into the Ferrari, lifting it. Basically a PIT maneuver. The Lambo rebounds into the camper or the idiot realizes late and pulls back crazily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Looks like you are correct
Nope. See my comment above. The Lambo veers left and crashes into the Ferrari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp_10 View Post
From the video looks like the Blue Lambo driver (one of the Oberoi) was trying to peek over the truck and did not see the Ferrari overtaking and triggered this :(
Indians aren't used to planning overtakes from will in advance. It's really stupid to tailgate a vehicle and then put two wheels on the other side to peek, as he's doing. If he'd slowed down a bit allowing the camper to go a bit ahead, he could easily pick a good spot when the solid line changes to a dashed line, and do a smooth overtake that would not even take him five seconds to complete in that Lambo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Rules followed or not, the 4 supercars before the red Ferrari lined up in a queue behind the camper van and waited for their turn to overtake. There seems to be an order to their cockiness. The red ferrari broke that unwritten common sense. It should have queued up behind the blue Lamborghini, who was already under the assumption that it was his turn to overtake!
If road rules which are vital for one's safety and that of others isn't respected, why would you expect him to respect some obscure gentleman's rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm going to go against the tide here and solely blame the Ferrari driver.

In an ideal world, all are breaking rules and overtaking solid white line. I agree to this that all are at fault for violating rules but the accident cause is the red Ferrari only.

The Blue Lambo always had 2 tyres on opposite lane to look at oncoming traffic. It was clear that the blue lambo was trying to pull an overtake
Sorry, but that's not how overtakes work here at all. You don't stake your claim on am overtake by sticking two wheels across the solid line. Don't forget that he only needs to put two wheels on the other side only because he tailgates the camper so much. Here, the correct way to make that pass is have a safe separation to the camper so you can see what's coming at you, plan the pass at a place where the line changes to a dashed line, and make a quick pass. Even if we overlook all that, he should not move left when a car is already in the act of overtaking him. Both Oberoi and the Ferrari driver are total idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
It was just overconfidence and possibly entitled feeling which resulted in the accident. I can understand the urge to speed, but can't digest the recklessness and total disrespect for conditions.

I am not sure who was recording the incident. Doesn't look like a dashcam. But, possibly the driver anticipated some incident and kept a safe distance. That's excellent driving. There simply was no point trying to close the gap Or overtake (illegally).
Exactly right.
supermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 06:44   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The OG video is a 60 seconds demonstration on How not to drive in a convoy. All of the SC drivers in the video were impatient, reckless and stupid. It reinforces the stereotypical entitled SC driver behavior.

As someone who participates in performance car drives I can provide some basic rules that we follow.
  1. Drive to the road conditions and your personal ability to control the car.
  2. It is not a race. There are no prizes for finishing first. Leave your ego at home.
  3. Do not tailgate.
  4. Use the two-way radios/walkie-talkie to communicate with the other drivers.
  5. Do not overtake when you can't see ahead.
  6. Overtaking a convoy vehicle:
    1. Slower driver to indicate to the faster driver to pass them.
    2. If the above hasn't happened then, the faster driver to signal the slower driver and have them acknowledge the request. They slower driver will move over when it is safe.
  7. Overtaking a non-convoy vehicle:
    1. Never overtake them over a double white line.
    2. DO NOT startle/surprise/embarrass/trigger others.
    3. Check if there's a clear window to overtake them without issues; indicate your intention to overtake, pass them, complete the overtake, thank them with a wave (if they made an effort to slow down/move over) and move on.
    4. The world is filled with dashcams and mobile cameras. Remember that people might record and report you for any improper driving. Stay away from trouble when in the company of strangers.
Slow moving traffic is one of the most annoying things during our drives but we do not own the road and we have to share the road with others. At times when there's not a safe window to overtake slow vehicles, our Drive group leader asks us to park on the side and give space between us and them. Take a water/bio break, capture pictures and chill.
kiku007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 06:53   #55
BHPian

Looking at this video, the Hindi phrase "Bandar ke haath mein talwaar" comes to mind. Translated to English, it means "A sword in the hands of a monkey".

The drivers of the Lambo and and Ferrari demonstrated piss poor judgment and traffic sense and should be held equally accountable for the aftermath. Its one thing to break or bend traffic rules, but quite another to do it so callously and dangerously.
kinetic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 07:43   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Nope. Watch again...
The way your write it seems you believe that the main fault lies with the blue car and far less fault of the red one trying to execute a double overtake!

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th October 2023 at 08:24. Reason: minor edit.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 08:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Some of the comments are biased against the Lamborghini driver just because he happens to be an Indian, they also believe Indians don't know how to buy a car and stupid at making decisions.

Yes, the Indian driver is tailgating, just like all those other drivers.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 08:54   #58
BHPian

While the consensus here is that both the Ferrari and Lambo drivers were at fault, perhaps it is for the investigators to decide who was at greater fault. My only gripe is with the guys who are saying "honking would have ...". When I am driving with music on or if I am focussed on other things or just chatting with my co-passengers, I either do not hear the honking from others or (unintentionally) ignore/miss those. Please never rely on your power of honking, you can never honk enough to alert everyone around you. Honking is not the solution to anything, really honking doesn't solve anything. Drive outside India in some good roads and you will realise it is always fine without any honking noise.
jazzy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 09:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Totally six people were caught up in the crash that is 2 in the Ferrari, 2 in the Lambo and 2 in the unfortunate camper van.

Now, we can debate who's fault led to the unfortunate accident and yes the Ferrari guy was a bigger idiot in the scheme of things which unfortunately lead to the death of him and his wife. But, Mr Oberoi could have been more careful and this whole thing could have ended with 2 more people alive.

a) If you see his overtake maneuver was a lot faster to merge with the rest of the group between the camper van and the car recording this whole video. The reason being he almost hit/pushed the biker coming from the opposite direction who had no room and could have hit the railing. He should have better jugged the scenario and avoided that overtake when he saw the biker approaching. That was a very dangerous move.

b) Tailgating the camper van was a bad idea and that is why he collided with the van as soon as there was impact with the Ferrari. Had he maintained safe distance this could have been avoided totally.

c) Lastly, I am surprised how he didn't notice the Ferrari trying to overtake him as that guy was in that extreme left position throughout. And this being a left-hand drive car the only way for him to not see the car would be when he was in his blind spot but if had been scanning his rear view mirrors throughout as he should have then there is no way he would not have been aware of the presence of that Ferrari. I guess since he was tailgating and wanted to stay with the group in front all he was focused was to complete the overtake and never imagined someone to overtake him while he was doing it in a place where there was absolutely no room for another car.

Mr. Oberoi broke too many rules and took too many chances and now has to live with this unfortunate memory for the rest of his life.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 10:53   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Sadly I did not know that until I started taking driving classes in Dubai. Upon seeing the video as a fresh Dubai driving student, I was like 'Oye Teri, Has to be someone without the knowledge of Solid Line'.

It looked like a scene from a typical Indian street/highway, double overtake. Sadly it would have worked if the camper knew what was happening behind him and stepped out of the road onto the shoulder.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=B-cK-BsOk7U
OT, but the title of the video - "Overtake mass video" kind of sums up the problem in South Indian roads atleast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks