Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2023, 12:47   #91
BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

The Indian couple quickly made their way back to India, I wonder what the consequences are if they are found guilty.
Old 7th October 2023, 15:02   #92
BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

Link Vikas Oberoi returns to Mumbai after no prima facie case against him in Italy car crash: Sources

Seems they have returned.
Old 7th October 2023, 18:16   #93
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
1. Nearly everyone in that convoy was reckless, almost as if they were trying to outdo each other
2. The margin for error on every overtake was ridiculous
3. The lambo driver is an even bigger idiot than previously known. He nearly causes a head-on collision with an oncoming motorcycle. Unlike India where motorcyclists are bullied to the edge of the road, riders in EU/US command the full width of the road irrespective of whether they're riding solo or in a staggered group. As a rider myself, such drivers infuriate me. He had no business being behind the wheel and hopefully gets the book thrown at him.
4. I don't know if the person filming was trying to get a video of the supercars, or expecting a mess based on the driving they'd already observed.
I watched this video three times. Indeed all those drivers seemed to be very rash and reckless and I am quite shocked, this being in the EU. One imagines this type of driving more in India because we are an indisciplined and entitled bunch of fellows overall, over here in India because if one is rich then one is also influential and/ or able to buy one’s way out a la innumerable examples we have seen so many times with monotonous regularity.
It appears that Blue Lambo’s left side was right on top of or over the white line. Of course he had left almost no margin at all for that poor motorbike chap who must have had his heart in his mouth. And then that Ferrari tried overtaking with absolutely no margin at all. The road is not wide. It is only a 2 lane. The crash barrier is right there and there is hardly any verge per se on the left side. I don’t think anyone half sensible will ever attempt that type of maneuvre, on a crowded highway anywhere in the world because there was absolutely no margin available.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th October 2023 at 18:22.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 19:24   #94
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Unlike India where motorcyclists are bullied to the edge of the road, riders in EU/US command the full width of the road irrespective of whether they're riding solo or in a staggered group. As a rider myself, such drivers infuriate me.
OT here, but safety issue still justifies this post.

Unlike EU that has the same speed limits for Motorcycles and Cars, India has a lower speed limit for Motorcycles than for cars (which is absurd). So they ought to be on the left lane. Other than pro/hobby group bikers that are well equipped and kitted, the regular Indian biker doesn't know there is also a strap in his helmet (if he has one) that needs to be buckled up, leave aside follow further rules!

So while I respect the pro/hobby bikers and have enjoyed interactions with them at dhaba lunch breaks on long drives, I see the regular motorcycles riders as a major hazzard, especially on highways. One of the key points I taught my nephew while teaching him driving cars was never to follow a biker. If you're far, they are unpredictable. If you're close your view ahead will be blocked (you can see through a car ahead unless its an SUV).

So out here in India, the edge is where they belong!
Old 7th October 2023, 20:22   #95
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post

Yes, true, but they are STILL entitled to a full lane. Like a cyclist.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 20:45   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
OT here, but safety issue still justifies this post.

I see the regular motorcycles riders as a major hazzard, especially on highways. One of the key points I taught my nephew while teaching him driving cars was never to follow a biker. If you're far, they are unpredictable. If you're close your view ahead will be blocked (you can see through a car ahead unless its an SUV).

While not following a biker is sound advice I disagree with your point of pushing the motorcyclists to the brink. This behavior of cars and larger vehicles is dangerous and putting the life of the motorcyclist to grave danger. Granted the motorcyclists have no sense of safety here but it does not justify pushing them to the brink of the left lane on a highway. Most Indian roads have broken (or even no) shoulders and at highway speeds a small pot hole can lead to the motorcyclists losing balance or might prompt them to swerve. I am not a motorcyclists but safe driving dictates that you should treat them like a small car when it comes to giving them space.
electric_eel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 22:40   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
The Indian couple quickly made their way back to India, I wonder what the consequences are if they are found guilty.
Unless India and Italy have an extradition treaty for criminal negligence cases (if this is proven to be that), I bet nothing happens. Besides, justice is always two-tiered and the rich rarely face real consequences unless they poke a bear of the same size.
Old 7th October 2023, 22:45   #98
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Yes, true, but they are STILL entitled to a full lane. Like a cyclist.
If it exists!

Where it doesn't, and there are different speed limits for cars and bikes, what happens then?

Where more than one lane exists, should bikes and cars stick to their lanes?

Could you point us to the rules governing all this in the MVA?

Fact of driving in India is that with heterogeneous traffic, cyclists and bikers would keep themselves and others safe if they keep to the left as far as possible. So even if a rule exists that they are entitled to a full lane, please don't tell them about it. As it is, truckers have taken the rightmost lane!

I haven't advocated squeezing them there with cars.
Old 8th October 2023, 10:31   #99
Team-BHP Support

Why were all 6-7 cars driving so rashly?

Even the perceived middle aged Swiss gentleman from a land of rigid rules!

From what I read, they had just begun the Supercar Drive.

Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead-7611290512587871imagea8_1696339503114.jpg

My guess is that this was a cocktail of
  • Excitement
  • Inexperience and lack of familiarity of both the car and the road conditions
  • Possibly, a clash of egos leading to one-up manship

I have seen this on media drives, especially on the more desirable cars

I really feel sorry for those (law abiding participants if any!) who paid for the trip which would have been cancelled and the organisers who would end up taking a hit.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 12:54   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
While not following a biker is sound advice I disagree with your point of pushing the motorcyclists to the brink. This behavior of cars and larger vehicles is dangerous and putting the life of the motorcyclist to grave danger. Granted the motorcyclists have no sense of safety here but it does not justify pushing them to the brink of the left lane on a highway. .........
The motorcyclist has been pushed off the road by cars and other vehicles in India. Partly it is their fault for overtaking recklessly and travelling between the lanes to bypass the traffic. Partly 'machismo' on the part of the two wheeler rider who doesn't think he or she are bound by the rules of the road.

They are entitled to a place on the road and should drive on the road in the center of their lane like a four wheeler. Anything else is dangerous and puts a lot of stress on the four wheeler driver - he has to constantly keep a watch for motorcycles freewheeling from behind his vehicle so that he does not swerve in their path.
Old 8th October 2023, 17:38   #101
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

I really feel sorry for those (law abiding participants if any!) who paid for the trip which would have been cancelled and the organisers who would end up taking a hit.
This is true. A highly regrettable incident.
In fact I think this may very likely lead to much more scrutiny of driving licenses and overall credentials and competence of those who may in future, wish to rent such vehicles or participate in such experiences.
Old 8th October 2023, 18:49   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Unless India and Italy have an extradition treaty for criminal negligence cases (if this is proven to be that), I bet nothing happens. Besides, justice is always two-tiered and the rich rarely face real consequences unless they poke a bear of the same size.
Quite unrelated but I remember many years back (a decade?) there were two Italian marines who were arrested in Indian waters for shooting fishermen.

There was quite a diplomatic row and India was not ready to release them to go back home. They were released on parole to go to Italy with some conditions later when diplomatic interventions happened. I don't know what happened to the case later. I believe they are not lodged in any Indian Jail as of now. I can be wrong though.
Old 8th October 2023, 19:45   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless India and Italy have an extradition treaty for criminal negligence cases (if this is proven to be that), I bet nothing happens.
If the Italian authorities had any intention of filing criminal charges at a later stage, I guess the couple would not have been allowed to leave, even if they were not immediately under arrest. It would be quite unusual to let them go now and later ask for extradition.

That said, I am surprised they were allowed to travel back to India just a couple of days after the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
I believe they are not lodged in any Indian Jail as of now. I can be wrong though.
You are right. They were held without charges for a few years. They were later allowed to leave. The case was eventually dropped by India and Italy.
Old 8th October 2023, 22:28   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
If the Italian authorities had any intention of filing criminal charges at a later stage, I guess the couple would not have been allowed to leave, even if they were not immediately under arrest. It would be quite unusual to let them go now and later ask for extradition.

That said, I am surprised they were allowed to travel back to India just a couple of days after the accident.
The news articles say they have no "prima facie" evidence of a crime, which I suppose means that they can't hold them back without cause. I personally found that surprising given the facts in the video, and I am sure it has nothing to do with the status/standing of the person involved (/s)
Old 8th October 2023, 22:37   #105
BHPian

While discussing this accident at the dinner table. My dad asked a question which has kept me pondering.

Like most Bhpians, we always prefer to drive whenever we travel to any foreign country .

God Forbid ..
What Happens, if you are involved in such a severe crash.

You may or may not be at fault, but there is a possibility that court may want you to appear in the hearing.

This thought is scary.

Is it worth the risk ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks