Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2023, 11:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

Hence Proved Accidents are always a chain of events. A very simple example of swiss cheese model, where so many risks were taken till an incident happened. Demonstrating It’s inevitable that humans will make mistakes.

But I was just thinking without this Dashcam footage, no one would have been able to easily comprehend the nitty gritty of this crash, shows the Importance of having one in the car.

Personally, extensively driven in EU, I have seen craziest driving etiquettes on Italian narrow roads, blatant disregards for the rules, you'll need to bring your driving “A” game. Even some of the country winding roads don’t have guard crash rails, road signanges and markings.

There's a saying "Italians Love their speed" and probably winding down the narrow roads gives more thrill than the monotonous Autobahn.

Last edited by NomadSK : 5th October 2023 at 11:21.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 12:28   #32
BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

Who died in that crash? It was not clear. Somewhere I saw the old camper couple were killed.

And I can confidently say that 90% of the drivers In India wouldn't know that you are not supposed to cross the solid line.

Last edited by fordday : 5th October 2023 at 12:28. Reason: typo
fordday is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 12:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
And I can confidently say that 90% of the drivers In India wouldn't know that you are not supposed to cross the solid line.
Sadly I did not know that until I started taking driving classes in Dubai. Upon seeing the video as a fresh Dubai driving student, I was like 'Oye Teri, Has to be someone without the knowledge of Solid Line'.

It looked like a scene from a typical Indian street/highway, double overtake. Sadly it would have worked if the camper knew what was happening behind him and stepped out of the road onto the shoulder.

svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 13:39   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I took my driving lessons from Maruti Driving school and good 15 minute spend discussing these lines on roads but yeah normal driving schools are least bothered with these and never tell you the importance of these lines on roads.
.sushilkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 15:55   #35
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Sadly I did not know that until I started taking driving classes in Dubai. Upon seeing the video as a fresh Dubai driving student, I was like 'Oye Teri, Has to be someone without the knowledge of Solid Line'.

It looked like a scene from a typical Indian street/highway, double overtake. Sadly it would have worked if the camper knew what was happening behind him and stepped out of the road onto the shoulder.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=B-cK-BsOk7U
Why should the van have moved. That's absolutely wrong.
Old 5th October 2023, 16:09   #36
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I don't own a powerful car, but regardless of the power/driving dynamics, I want to learn what potentially goes in a driver's mind when trying to overtake on narrow unknown roads?
I think I can answer that because I do own powerful cars and love to drive at the limits (of car, road and traffic).

1. Once speed is built up, the overriding desire is to maintain that speed. The brain adapts, and there is an irritation if the speed drops.

2. The vehicle ahead seems like a target in the crosshair.

All else is an impediment.

So how does one survive and keep onself, others and the car safe?

'Train the brain' to constantly gather information on road conditions, hazards in front, rear and sides and car feel. Make decisions based on this information against the backdrop of experience, rules and driver training received. Execute the decision(s) keeping a margin for error and error or unexpected moves by others. Minimize distractions.

So far in 35 years of driving, that has kept one safe, with no accidents. But it takes only one error to change that. Off late in Mumbai traffic, I've been noticably aggressive, impatient and invited aggression by others including an attack on my car. So I calm myself down before starting the engine each time and think- it's not a race (against time or anything). Learn to yield.
ais is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 16:10   #37
BHPian

The Ferrari is probably in the Lambo's blind-spot when the Lambo started initiating the overtake. The Ferrari clearly had time to react, but chose to be aggressive. Probably wasn't stock if it caught fire in what seems to be an accident that happened at relatively slower speed.

OTOH, always love a bit of racism from the Daily mail which tried to portray the Ferrari drivers as innocent victims.
buzzy_boy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 16:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Why should the van have moved. That's absolutely wrong.
OT
That was supposed to be sarcastic.
Old 5th October 2023, 17:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
OT
That was supposed to be sarcastic.
I think what @nidhikapoor perhaps meant was why should the Van have moved to give way to these sports cars? There was nothing wrong the van(camper) was doing and was maintaining its straight line.
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 18:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
what potentially goes in a driver's mind when trying to overtake on narrow unknown roads?
I think the answer has to do with gear ratios and a lack of finesse in terms of throttle control. For example a car ahead might be comfortable cruising at 40kph however your car either develops too much torque at the same speed in second gear; thus requiring measured throttle inputs or too little torque in a higher gear at the same speed. Thus you would want to overtake rather than have the vehicle in front dictate which speed you cruise at.

I think it is the simple inability of most people to scrutinise their inputs at the pedals/wheel that causes them to forget about the direct dangers of conducting a blind overtake on an unknown road and instead focus on making their job at piloting the vehicle easier by praying that they get through the overtake so that they can cruise at whatever pace the muscles in their right foot allow them to hold comfortably.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 20:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Once again, it gets me thinking why these supercars catch fire after a crash. We've read/seen crashes at speeds higher than this, and car flipping but not catching fire so soon. I guess too many parameters at work here.

Anyway, all points discussed already. The Ferrari was in a bit of hurry and should have let the Lamborghini finish his move.

In India, it is rather customary to honk while overtaking and it would have probably helped in this case as well.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 21:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Anyway, all points discussed already. The Ferrari was in a bit of hurry and should have let the Lamborghini finish his move.

In India, it is rather customary to honk while overtaking and it would have probably helped in this case as well.
Please, there is nothing good about honking to pass. Regardless, one needs to adapt to the rules and conditions of the place they are driving in. If they cant, they need to ride a cab, not drive.

Nobody likes being stuck behind an RV. That does not mean they get to break rules, or make up own rules - like honking to pass. It would probably freak out European drivers.

This is a group on a high - just because they are in exotic cars, they are passing other vehicles recklessly. The lambo is focussed on oncoming traffic, but forgets he is in a group of rowdy drivers, taking chances. Sooner or later, they were bound to run out of chances. It sucks for the family that lost their loved ones.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 21:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
So how does one survive and keep onself, others and the car safe?

'Train the brain' to constantly gather information on road conditions, hazards in front, rear and sides and car feel. Make decisions based on this information against the backdrop of experience, rules and driver training received. Execute the decision(s) keeping a margin for error and error or unexpected moves by others. Minimize distractions.
NO. How does one keep everyone safe? Follow the rules. All those drivers broke the rule. Well, except the car recording and the poor campervan guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
The Ferrari is probably in the Lambo's blind-spot when the Lambo started initiating the overtake. The Ferrari clearly had time to react, but chose to be aggressive. Probably wasn't stock if it caught fire in what seems to be an accident that happened at relatively slower speed.

OTOH, always love a bit of racism from the Daily mail which tried to portray the Ferrari drivers as innocent victims.
Cant prosecute the dead right. They were equally at fault but are dead. They should prosecute the others responsible.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th October 2023 at 07:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 5th October 2023, 21:45   #44
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Are these (paid) test drive vehicles ?

Honking would have made a difference. Regardless, Indians are well-equipped to drive on two-lane roads instinctively.
Old 5th October 2023, 21:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Are these (paid) test drive vehicles ?

Honking would have made a difference. Regardless, Indians are well-equipped to drive on two-lane roads instinctively.
Indians are well equipped to drive on 2 lane roads? Did you see that video. Half the problem was an Indian driver. And, honking is not a legitimate way to 'announce your presence'.
nidhikapoor is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks