Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2023, 22:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

A group of supercars were trying to overtake a camper despite solid line markings. 3 cars make it, a Ferrari driven by a Swiss Couple tries to overtake a Lamborghini driven by an Indian couple and a camper van. The Lamborghini does not indicate and collides with the Ferrari which crashes in to the campervn. Both overturn and the Ferrari catches fire and both are killed

Very sad - rules, signals and vigilance are there for a reason!

https://www.freepressjournal.in/worl...ardinia-2-dead
ajmat is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 07:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Video of the crash in Sardinia. 2 people killed.
windrider is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 07:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

Had a quick look at the video and it seemed from the video that the Lambo with the Indian couple in it moved left without checking their mirror. The overtaking Ferrari too seems to be attempting an aggressive manoeuver given the traffic in that section. Should have perhaps waited before attempting the overtake itself.

EDIT: Just saw in TOI as well today - seems like the Indian couple were Vicky Oberoi (Oberoi builders) and his wife Gayatri.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th October 2023 at 07:17.
Axe77 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 10:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

EDIT: Just saw in TOI as well today - seems like the Indian couple were Vicky Oberoi (Oberoi builders) and his wife Gayatri.
Vikas Oberoi of Oberoi Realty is husband of Gayatri Joshi, SRK's co-star in Swades. Both were in a Lamborghini when this happened. Both are safe.

Link
BoneCollector is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 14:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Vikas Oberoi of Oberoi Realty is husband of Gayatri Joshi, SRK's co-star in Swades. Both were in a Lamborghini when this happened. Both are safe.

Link
Here is the video of the accident taken from a dash cam behind them.

https://twitter.com/globeclip/status...rc=twsrc%5Etfw.

This is in Sardinia, where the roads are one laned along the coast. From the video looks like the Blue Lambo driver (one of the Oberoi) was trying to peek over the truck and did not see the Ferrari overtaking and triggered this :(

Last edited by warp_10 : 4th October 2023 at 14:35. Reason: spell chk
warp_10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 14:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
that the Lambo with the Indian couple in it moved left without checking their mirror. The overtaking Ferrari too seems to be attempting an aggressive manoeuver given the traffic in that section. Should have perhaps waited before attempting the overtake itself.
Spot on here.

Overall aggressive driving by the entire convoy on such narrow roads + consistent oncoming traffic + illegally overtaking on solid centre lines + a millisecond’s lack of examining the left hand side mirror by the Lamborghini + unusually risky move by the Ferrari.

Mind you, this is Italy we are talking about here; they anyway drive like maniacs tailgating far more than you’d expect, complete with road rage and rough surfaces & worn out road markings in provincial areas. I lost at least one of my nine lives on a holiday in Santorini where correct side driving was seemingly recommendatory, not mandatory!

Daily Mail article:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...campervan.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th October 2023 at 15:07.
itwasntme is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 14:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: International Road Accidents

Seems they were traveling in a group? I once went on a group ride with the Dodge club and it was a strict rule that you shall not attempt to overtake one another.
amitoj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 15:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had a quick look at the video and it seemed from the video that the Lambo with the Indian couple in it moved left without checking their mirror.
Everyone was wrong. Crossing a solid line is a strict NO. Almost all the guys crossed the car, which had this video camera. Usually, in such events, your hormone changes (https://www.waters.com/blog/can-spor...was%20observed.) and people can do stupid and risky things.

How the Lambo moved to the left and immediately hit the caravan ahead, it does appear that it was trying to save a sudden stop-by caravan (though I don't see the brake lights on the caravan) or had built so much speed that it happened almost instantly (impact with that red car and caravan)

Ferrari guys were completely wrong, blocking the oncoming traffic, all because they had so much power available and, since it was an open-top, got crushed by the rolling Caravan. Things might have been different if Lambo hadn't hit the caravan or if Ferrari had a hard top.

So, all in all, everyone was wrong except that Caravan guy who got hit for no fault.

Love the driving style of the guy who was making the film, especially how calmly he went off the road after the accident.

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th October 2023 at 15:39.
Turbanator is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 16:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
How the Lambo moved to the left and immediately hit the caravan ahead
I think the Lambo was knocked into the caravan by the Ferrari.

Both cars were in the wrong, but I think the impatience/aggressiveness of the Ferrari driver caused the accident. The Lambo was guilty of moving left without indicating. But it always had LHS tires over the white line and the Lambo driver only seemed to be waiting for a clear view of the road after the cars that were ahead passed the camper van. Given how the whole group was driving, I guess the Ferrari driver should have expected the Lambo to initiate an overtake any time. He seemed to hesitate for a second (brake lights came on for an instant), then decided to go for the overtake.

Last edited by StarrySky : 4th October 2023 at 17:03.
StarrySky is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 17:27   #10
BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

I don't own a powerful car, but regardless of the power/driving dynamics, I want to learn what potentially goes in a driver's mind when trying to overtake on narrow unknown roads?

Are we overconfident in our cars, because we certainly aren't pro drivers? We barely know how to commute from points A to B.
Do a few bad overtakes instil false confidence of invincibility?

And this is not to badmouth supercar drivers, everyone is at fault! Nobody has patience on roads, its just that negative publicity is more for costlier life style choices because people are jealous, have loads of idle time yada yada.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 17:44   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Mind you, this is Italy we are talking about here; they anyway drive like maniacs tailgating far more than you’d expect, complete with road rage and rough surfaces & worn out road markings in provincial areas. I lost at least one of my nine lives on a holiday in Santorini where correct side driving was seemingly recommendatory, not mandatory!
OT:
A little extra stereo typing about Italian Drivers methinks. Also just a reminder that Santorini is actually in Greece, not Italy.
shankar.balan is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 20:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
OT:
A little extra stereo typing about Italian Drivers methinks. Also just a reminder that Santorini is actually in Greece, not Italy.
This is what happens when you’re trying to think and post a message when stuck interminably in traffic in an auto .

Each to their own but I have observed some terrible driving in Italy, and significantly more prevalent than most other EU nations I have been to.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 20:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the Lambo was knocked into the caravan by the Ferrari
Looks like you are correct
Attached Thumbnails
Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead-accident.jpg  

Latheesh is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 21:34   #14
Team-BHP Support

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

Looks like Vikas Oberoi is in trouble - again, the Daily Mail has an extreme rightish stance

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-homicide.html
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 21:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Looks like Vikas Oberoi is in trouble - again, the Daily Mail has an extreme rightish stance

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-homicide.html
The link you shared was not opening in my phone. I used Google search to find the article.

I don't think that it was a homicide. The senior citizens were driving recklessly and tried to overtake dangerously. The Lamborghini didn't move left, it was the Ferrari that went off road and struck the Lamborghini.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks