Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2023, 11:08   #61
BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
I either do not hear the honking from others or (unintentionally) ignore/miss those. Please never rely on your power of honking, you can never honk enough to alert everyone around you. Honking is not the solution to anything, really honking doesn't solve anything. Drive outside India in some good roads and you will realise it is always fine without any honking noise.
I barely honk while driving as it is mostly useless. Most of the time there is a cacophony of other vehicles playing their own symphony with the horns. How is it that one can decide which of them are directed at you and which are not? The general advice is to ignore all the honking so even if we hear it we are trained to ignore.
electric_eel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 11:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

There were vehicles on this road of opposite spectrum. By the looks of it, the camper van was being driven in acceptable lower-side speed limits. Then comes this batch of supercars. Suddenly, the camper van looks slightly like a nuisance/irritant. The batch of supercars just wants to get past the camper van. At such times, some of the drivers get impatient, specifically when in a group. They just want to be done with the hurdle. The blue Lambo did not show much impatience and was just trying to have a peek. The red Ferrari got impatient and also got overconfident that he could whizz past the peeking lambo in a jiffy. Then the unthinkable happens. Of all this, the camper van had to also bear the brunt.

If it was in India, likely blue Lambo driver would have likely seen RVM as part of anticipatory driving. Also, maybe the Ferrari would have honked/flashed its headlights before overtaking if it were India
funkykar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 12:00   #63
BHPian

Ferrari was doing an illegal overtake over a solid line, but he would’ve been perfectly fine had the lambo driver not stepped out of his lane so abruptly without any left indicator. I’d say most of the fault lies with the lambo driver, should definitely be charged with manslaughter due to negligent driving.
Old 6th October 2023, 12:43   #64
ais
BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../104191919.cms

Here is a longer video with voice recording.

Vikas Oberoi (assuming he, not his wife, is driving) has overtaken the recording car despite a bike coming from ahead. Clearly, he is in a hurry, throwing caution to the wind and breaking rules recklessly.
Old 6th October 2023, 13:10   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Very sad - rules, signals and vigilance are there for a reason!
Agreed 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat;5636967[url
https://www.freepressjournal.in/world/italy-car-crash-video-ferrari-collides-with-lamborghini-in-sardinia-2-dead[/url]
On checking the link, the video posted on X shows 3 cars before Lamborghini and Ferrari overtook the Camper following each other in coordination but not the Red Ferrari. If the Ferrari had followed the Lamborgini as the other 3 cars had done, the accident would not have been averted.
Old 6th October 2023, 14:03   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Some of the comments are biased against the Lamborghini driver just because he happens to be an Indian, they also believe Indians don't know how to buy a car and stupid at making decisions.

Yes, the Indian driver is tailgating, just like all those other drivers.
He wasn't just tailgating though. He completely missed that he was in the process of being overtaken by another driver when he swerved into the Ferrari. I'm seeing some hilarious stuff on this thread, things like his planting two wheels on the other side meant he was going to pass. This isn't like putting a handkerchief on a train or bus seat and claiming it as yours. If someone is already passing you, you need to check for it on the first place, and not go ahead with the pass. Nationality has a little role here as most Indians either don't know the rules, or don't care about them, but we aren't by any means the only idiots or there. Here, it required two idiots with gigantic egos to cause this fatal coming together, and they delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The way your write it seems you believe that the main fault lies with the blue car and far less fault of the red one trying to execute a double overtake!
The fatality required two idiots. Both delivered. Oberoi did hit the Ferrari, not the other way round. Both were idiots, rather pointless discussing who was the bigger one.
supermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 14:12   #67

I think the culprit here is cockiness, plain and simple.

The lambo driver is too cocky to not be tailgating a campervan, and the ferrari driver is too cocky to be bothered about letting the lambo overtake first. Both are cocky enough to breach the solid line of the lane.

One plays stupid games, one wins stupid prizes.

Sad for the campervan couple which was caught in this dance of cockiness.

Also - a bummer that Gayatri's car got rammed into a caravan. A caravan had featured prominently in the plot of the Swades movie for which she's famous. They irony is not lost here.
Old 6th October 2023, 14:34   #68
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
Honestly, Indians are no better
I think you have misjudged. We Indians face this sort of circumstances frequently and judge better. Not contending who is correct or wrong.

My insight is the fault lies with the Ferrari driver who is in the incoming lane and the vehicle ahead is clearly attempting to overtake the van. Off course, all super car drivers cut the white line is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
If it was in India, likely blue Lambo driver would have likely seen RVM as part of anticipatory driving. Also, maybe the Ferrari would have honked/flashed its headlights before overtaking if it were India
Absolutely spot on. Each accomplished driver would have gone through this sort of circumstance a huge number of times here.

Last edited by RGK : 6th October 2023 at 14:41. Reason: Added a line
Old 6th October 2023, 14:34   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Both were idiots, rather pointless discussing who was the bigger one.
This was completely avoidable.

I hope this was a mistake on Lambo driver that he missed to see the other car in rear view mirro, if not this was criminal for sure. On the other hand, the red car driver was able to see him fully and he should have waited.

Two people lost their life in fraction of seconds. I have myself committed mistakes on road, but never intentionally I would move into something like this.
Old 6th October 2023, 14:46   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post

My insight is the fault lies with the Ferrari driver who is in the incoming lane and the vehicle ahead is clearly attempting to overtake the van.
No, that isn't how overtakes work in Europe. You don't get the right to overtake just by turning without even bothering to look behind or indicate.
The Ferrari was always on the far left. He was on the wrong side of the line, which you've agreed everyone was, but the Ferrari was already in a pass on both the Lambo and the camper. Oberoi would have seen the approaching Ferrari who had more right for the pass than Oberoi did at that point.
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 15:02   #71
BHPian

Looks like everyone but the poor caravan was to blame. If you watch the video frame by frame it appears that the Ferrari already seemed to be out of control and veering off to the left.
Old 6th October 2023, 15:13   #72
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
He wasn't just tailgating though. He completely missed that he was in the process of being overtaken by another driver when he swerved into the Ferrari.

The fatality required two idiots. Both delivered. Oberoi did hit the Ferrari, not the other way round. Both were idiots, rather pointless discussing who was the bigger one.
Slightly OT, but I recall about 15 years ago, Oberoi was at the Safety Course at Maharashtra Rifle Association that I attended. He wasn't interactive at all and had no questions to ask. Maybe was just there to gain eligibility for an arms license.

Wonder if he did a course on driving here or of it is mandatory for this drive in supercars?
Old 6th October 2023, 15:23   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The way your write it seems you believe that the main fault lies with the blue car and far less fault of the red one trying to execute a double overtake!
The first thing one learns in safety is that there is no main or lesser fault. It's like saying that a car that is one foot over the stop light is less at fault than one that is 2 ft across the stop sign!
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 15:52   #74
BHPian

Here’s my 2 cents. I don’t know who's at more fault, but as a defensive driving, with lambo’s nose ahead (already in process to overtake the camper van), Red Ferrari should have aborted the overtake attempt at this stage and not tried to squeeze in the overtake, Irrespective of the continuous bold marking. Unfortunately, he took his chances and paid severely for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead-img_6068.jpeg  

Last edited by NomadSK : 6th October 2023 at 16:17.
NomadSK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 16:23   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
The first thing one learns in safety is that there is no main or lesser fault. It's like saying that a car that is one foot over the stop light is less at fault than one that is 2 ft across the stop sign!
Not to mention the fact that there's no law against double or multiple simultaneous overtakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgritesh View Post
This was completely avoidable.

On the other hand, the red car driver was able to see him fully and he should have waited.
An emphatic NO. That's not how overtakes work in Europe. It's not a queue system where priority is on the basis of who is first in the line. The priority here is who is first on the passing lane. The Ferrari had all four wheels on the passing lane, and was approaching from behind. The rules in India or how people drive there doesn't make the slightest difference here. The Lambo should have checked the mirrors and the blindspot to see if anyone is already in the process of overtaking him, which the Ferrari was, and should NOT have started his move. That he started to move into the path of the Ferrari, and that too without even indicating are just way too many rules being broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Here’s my 2 cents. I don’t know who's at more fault, but as a defensive driving, with lambo’s nose ahead (already in process to overtake the camper van), Red Ferrari should have aborted the overtake attempt at this stage and not tried to squeeze in the overtake, Irrespective of the continuous bold marking.
Nose ahead? That is not how order of overtaking is calculated here. This is not an F1 overtake we are discussing. Here, the one on the passing lane has priority. If a car is already on the passing lane and in the process of passing me, I should'nt get in the way. My being ahead of him has zero importance. I should wait for him to make the pass on me and then and only then should I pick a good moment for my own pass, indicate, and then make the pass.
supermax is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks