Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2012, 00:58   #301
BHPian

Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

Visiting Delhi?
I think I saw the Falcon yesterday/day-before on the GK1 main road near Cocoberry!
barcode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 09:33   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Visiting Delhi?
I think I saw the Falcon yesterday/day-before on the GK1 main road near Cocoberry!
Yes, thanks for spotting. My younger brother was driving it in the last 2 days in that area. BTW I have my 2nd residence in GK2 which I keep frequenting.
Old 14th November 2012, 16:32   #303
Senior - BHPian

Hi dkaile,
It's been a long time on Falcon's thread !
How goes it ? Haven't seen updates here.

Couple of questions for you:
1. What is the RPM of the Fortuner at idle or at least what does Falcon show approximately on the meter ? Reason for this is that I've been trying to get the answer out of the ASC chaps - even the Tech Head only states it as between 700-800 RPM which I find odd as the range is too wide. The range should be in a band of 50. Say 750-800 or 700-750. I know the tachometer isn't very accurate. With the OBD tool Admiral records an idling RPM of 750.

2. Other than Dunlop & Yoko which other tyre brands have the 265/65/R17 size AT tyres ?

Thanks.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 19:03   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Couple of questions for you:
1. What is the RPM of the Fortuner at idle or at least what does Falcon show approximately on the meter ? Reason for this is that I've been trying to get the answer out of the ASC chaps - even the Tech Head only states it as between 700-800 RPM which I find odd as the range is too wide. The range should be in a band of 50. Say 750-800 or 700-750. I know the tachometer isn't very accurate. With the OBD tool Admiral records an idling RPM of 750.

2. Other than Dunlop & Yoko which other tyre brands have the 265/65/R17 size AT tyres ?
Heil Herr Generale',

No news is good news, I presume.

Well, the Falcon been seeing fewer updates because really it doesn't require any. Trouble free and issue less driving as ever.

Also peace time has made me enjoy the company of the luxurious 'Czech Maiden' more than the brute 'Spartan Warrior'. But worry not, as soon as you sound the war drums the Falcon will be roaring all guns blazing...

Here it is consigned to the dungeons and awaiting the next battle

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-12480km-1.jpg

But fully battle ready

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-12480km-2.jpg

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-12480km-3.jpg

With 12480kms on the Odo today, you can also make out the RPM needle at idle for your reference. It is very hard to ascertain the exact rpm though, seems to me at about 800rpm. Don't mind the low light high ISO photos. There are no scratches, its armor is all but shining.

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-12480km-4.jpg

And giving a solid 11.7kmpl on the cheaper oil

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-12480km-5.jpg

- Haven't really had the time to research for tyres yet. Though after reading Mannuj's experience, I would stick to the OE Dunlops at all costs. Though this online Indian site may provide some pointers - http://changemytyre.com/

Last edited by dkaile : 14th November 2012 at 19:33.
Old 14th November 2012, 20:23   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
No news is good news, I presume.
Hi dkaile,
Many thanks.
That sure is some useful information.
Shall do my research on the tyres and circle back.
And - do keep udating this thread !
Old 15th November 2012, 10:26   #306
Senior - BHPian

Hey dkaile,
Couple of more observations !
1. Checked the tyre site. The guy recommends Bridgestone - and funny enough BS India doesn't have the size for Fortuners in India. So is the case with Michellin. Means that the guy must be sourcing grey market tyres. Avoidable at best I guess. Does that mean there is only Dunlop & Yokos of this size in India ? Interesting.

2. Your idle RPM snap seems to have been taken when the engine was cold. A question for you - does the idle RPM fall (or actually - does the indicator needle fall to about 750 - approx middle of the band between 1K RPM and 1.5K RPM) in the Falcon after the engine has run for a few KMs after a cold start/early morning start up ? I have seen this happening on the Admiral (with no difference in the performance or anything at all) - so wondering about the reason for the phenomenon...no satisfactory explanation from the ASC chaps either.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:43   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couple of more observations !
1. Strange. That site has good reputation though. But you seem right in your observation that he might be importing those tyres or these tyre companies don't update their site with the tyres that they are officially importing. A authorised dealer might be able to provide more answers.

2. The rpm needle does fall very slightly after warm up but still not to the middle of the band. This happens with most/all modern vehicles which are ECU enabled where the rpm remains high on cold start and then drop slightly after warm up. In my Superb it is quite perceptible where the rpm starts off from 1100 band and gradually drops to 750 after 30~40 seconds on start up. Though in the Fortuner this is harder to judge just by engine noise alone. Will get back to you on this issue after more thorough research with the Fortuner.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 11:48   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Though in the Fortuner this is harder to judge just by engine noise alone. Will get back to you on this issue after more thorough research with the Fortuner.
Great dkaile ! That way I'll get you to run the Falcon a little more.

Actually there is no change in the engine note/sound when the needle drops to about 750. Perhaps there is just a wee bit of settling down I guess - but then it happens only after a few KMs of running.

But yeah on the LoH's K10 Alto it is very apparent.
Old 10th January 2013, 17:18   #309
BHPian

Dkaile it has been a long time since we had any updates on the Falcon. I know that there wont be any issues with the vehicle that will need reporting but how about some pics of it in action?

Any recent trips taken over the holidays?
Old 11th January 2013, 09:17   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Dkaile it has been a long time since we had any updates on the Falcon...
Hi dkaile,
I agree with Manuuj. Been rather quite here and what with Admiral also on 'coastal patrol only' status the Fortuner group seems to have Nilanjan's Bison and Manuuj's Yeti (God forgive him for that christening !) as the only blue water warriors.
What's happening to Raptor and how's the bird ?
Old 14th January 2013, 11:58   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Dkaile it has been a long time since we had any updates on the Falcon.
Quote:
What's happening to Raptor and how's the bird ?
Yes, it's been receiving a slightly step brotherly treatment in the family of cars. Nothing goes wrong with it. Will update the thread with some new photos soon.
Old 6th April 2013, 08:48   #312
Senior - BHPian

So with nearly 1.5 years under the belt and 14000 kms on the odo this is what happened recently -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-scratched-05042013.jpg

Luckily not a dent but a major scrape caused by an erring truck driver. Hope to get it sorted out soon as the ASC. Otherwise the 'truck' is running like the day I bought it and looking like new too...
Old 6th April 2013, 12:21   #313
Senior - BHPian

Falcon once again out of the dungeons and sprinting new grounds. It crossed the 14k kms mark today in about 1 year and 8 months time. Little slow but that's the cost of owning multiple dream machines...

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-14000km-06042013_1.jpg

The interiors looking as fresh as ever

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-14000km-06042013_2.jpg

Classic rear much better the face-lift IMHO

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-14000km-06042013_3.jpg

Musings -
- Would like a better sound system after having been spoilt by the Superb's.
- The clutch is much softer than many others, definitely much better than the Germans.
- No niggles, no squeaks.
- After being spoilt by the plushness and comforts of the Superb, the interiors definitely feel spartan and hard. So does the bumpier ride. Have to get back to SUV frame of mind after continuously driving a luxury sedan.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 18:16   #314
Senior - BHPian

Finally rumbled down to the dealership today to get the scratch touched up -

My good man on the job
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-scratch-repair-11042013_1.jpg

Scratch fixed. What would you say?
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-scratch-repair-11042013_2.jpg

The Raptor ready to bite...
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-scratch-repair-11042013_3.jpg

All done complimentary at the ASC.
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 18:48   #315
Senior - BHPian

Got this in the courier today -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-toyota-keyring_1.jpg

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-toyota-keyring_2.jpg

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-toyota-keyring_3.jpg

Good heavy chrome quality. Suits the personality of the Fortuner now.

Got it from ebay here - http://www.ebay.in/itm/140947727012?...84.m1497.l2649 for just 199/- bucks.
dkaile is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks