Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2011, 15:12   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Hey Dkaile,the falcon looks uber cool.
Do you have the HId's installed on it?
I have a XUV and innova but with With all the comparison with XUV and T fort I have great respect and in no ways a 14 lakh XUV can match the comfort and reliablity of a fortuner.
I would pick up the Auto T-fort very soon and join your club!!!The Classic looks Monsterous,but my requirement is specifically AT tranny.
Thanks Kedar Walke; Definitely the Fortuner has some core inherent strengths which grow upon you day after day of its ownership. That is why the long waiting list and consistent demand, unlike some comments to the contrary from its 'non-owners' that its only a 'image' vehicle. The XUV is a capable vehicle in its own right but it is still in a segment below and not comparable with the Toyota's, yet. I hope that day comes soon.

The classic shape of the Fortuner will be revered for long by purists. I have kept the vehicle completely stock with no modifications or HID's and feel no urgent need for the same. I dont like to 'bling' up my vehicles as with many Fortuner owners and happy with its simplistic design and form.

Awaiting your arrival into our club, though from the reports I have received, the AT on the upcoming Fortuner is not very peppy and you should definitely go in for a long test drive before finalising it over the fantastic manual which comes with one of the lightest clutches and gear throws in the business.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 22:31   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Dkaile,the falcon looks uber cool.
Do you have the HId's installed on it?
I have a XUV and innova but with With all the comparison with XUV and T fort I have great respect and in no ways a 14 lakh XUV can match the comfort and reliablity of a fortuner.
I would pick up the Auto T-fort very soon and join your club!!!The Classic looks Monsterous,but my requirement is specifically AT tranny.
The XUV500 might be more comfortable from what I have read (no personal experience), given the softer suspension and better handling.

As dkaile mentioned, the manual D4D is supposed to be peppier than the AT version, at least that is what I read in the South African forums I frequent (those guys have been using the Fortuner for years and use it the way it is meant to be used). But then it depends on you whether you prefer better driveability in the city over a peppier vehicle.

So you will have a XUV and an Innova and a Fortuner!
Old 14th December 2011, 04:18   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kedar,
Let me use dkaile's thread to welcome you, in advance, to the Toyota Fortuner club.
However my feeling from the chats I've had with the Toyota friends in the factory and the ASC indicates that your wait for the A/T could be slightly longer than envisaged - thanks to the Thailand parts supply issues. There could be a delay in the launch of the A/T and other (4X2) versions in India. And along with the delayed launch could be the wait period.
Personally for me, as mentioned earlier on the Admiral's thread, a 4X4 has to be a manual gear box - with the 4X4 system being a robust mechanical one ! One of the reasons why the Fortuner was a winner in my selection process.

Nevertheless I am sure the A/T has its own charms and advantages.
So once again welcome to the band of Fortune/r hunters !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 13:05   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

So you will have a XUV and an Innova and a Fortuner!
I will let the innova go and welcome the manual facelifted t fort.
With the new versions coming,I just hope they have a full time 4wd available with the facelifted beast.
Old 15th December 2011, 05:42   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will let the innova go and welcome the manual facelifted t fort.
With the new versions coming,I just hope they have a full time 4wd available with the facelifted beast.
Hi kedarwalke,
From the whispers around what I have learnt is that the way the Fortuner story would progress next in India possibly in 2012 is that you'll see a manual/AT 4X2 and only an AT - AWD in India. Same path Ford took the Endeavour on, so you may not see the facelifted Fortuner AWD in a manual version in India, going by current gup-shup.
Which to me, if true, would be a real pity !

Last edited by Guderian : 15th December 2011 at 05:56.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 08:15   #231
Senior - BHPian

The thick cover of fog has taken over the entire North India. On my way to Tennis today -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-20111220_074008.jpg

Couldn't see the opposite player on the court today...
Old 20th December 2011, 08:31   #232
BHPian

Dkaile ji,

Hope you could drive the falcon in that heavy fog today morning.

Was thinking of you when I read in yesterday's Times of India that Meerut recorded the country's lowest temperature this year: 2.2 degrees.
Must be freezing out there. Here in pune we've had 11 deg. minimum temperature.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:40   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1.The thick cover of fog has taken over the entire North India.
2. Couldn't see the opposite player on the court today...
Hi dkaile,
Been a long time !

1. Is the ACC (heater side) working well and maintaining the predetermined temperature ? What is your current temp setting in the cabin ?
Have never tried the ACC on the warm side - and so the Q.

2. Thanks to the circumstances - trust you won the game comfortably...!
Old 20th December 2011, 11:50   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
1. Is the ACC (heater side) working well and maintaining the predetermined temperature ? What is your current temp setting in the cabin ?
Have never tried the ACC on the warm side - and so the Q.

2. Thanks to the circumstances - trust you won the game comfortably...!
1. ACC works perfectly. I have a) set the temperature to 24, b) switched on the front defogger & c) set recirculate mode to fresh air. Now even when the ACC is OFF, I get fresh air through the vents which is slightly warmed due to the ACC remembering the last set temperature.

I miss the Indicator light (Green) on the AUTO switch though (that is there on the AC-Green and Front Defogger-Amber switch), as I had the same on my Corolla and found it convenient in the dark.

2. Lolz Herr' Generale'. The game could not take place as the opponent got lost in the mist and ended up on the (Civil) courts next door....

@Monaro ji - It was tough driving in such heavy fog. Set Front Fog Lights ON, High Beam ON but at a conveniently low set position (No. 3 on the headlamp leveler) so as to not glare the eyes of the oncoming traffic. And then I quickly rushed back for morning cuppa in bed...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th December 2011 at 11:54.
Old 21st December 2011, 11:37   #235
Senior - BHPian

That fog is ominous. And here I am thinking of a drive to Kumaon during the last week of this year! Looks like all my travel time estimations will have to be recalibrated.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:18   #236
Senior - BHPian

So the Falcon suffered it's 1st major scratch yesterday night. A drunk cycle-walah grazed the car being driven at 30kmph and melancholingly drove away carefree of this world. Perhaps on his way for another fill at the Madhushala. God bless his soul...

The scratch is deep on the driver side rear door and rear wheel arch. Tried removing most portions with Formula 1 Wax+Scratch-Out combo but still remains. Will try to get the wheel arch portion touched only and let the door scratch remain as a reminder of Scarface...

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-scratched-03012012.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 4th January 2012 at 10:28.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 11:06   #237
BHPian

Folks, does anyone have an idea about the exact price of the new 4x2?
Old 4th January 2012, 11:21   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
So the Falcon suffered it's 1st major scratch yesterday night.
Hi dkaile,
Sorry to have seen this ! Heartfelt condolences.

Even the scratch on the door/s can be touched up by the ASC with the exact shade - Mica Silver and then polished normally. I don't think it'll show at all.
I trust there is no dent ?
You should look at getting the side door claddings. Helps to a great extent.

And yes...welcome to the world of grizzled, scarred, tough old Toyota Fortuners. The loss of scratch virginity is indeed memorable yet painful.

Last edited by Guderian : 4th January 2012 at 11:22.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:27   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
I trust there is no dent ?
You should look at getting the side door claddings.
The loss of scratch virginity is indeed memorable yet painful.
Thanks for the condolences Herr' Generale'. Nope, NO dent luckily. Will traverse down to the A S S and see what they can do. The scratch line, as you will see in the picture, is above where the claddings would have been attached and wouldn't have helped either.

Yes, its painful, especially when it's no fault of yours. But then it's India and and we just need to grin and move on...
Old 4th January 2012, 16:37   #240
Senior - BHPian

The first cut is always the most painful - love, scratches, whatever.

I have stopped bothering after the first one. Have a number of scratches - rogue Honda City brushing by, thorns, dog etc. Also have water/salt deposits in all the cracks. Will get a proper car detailing session done in the next few weeks. That should bring things back to new (till the next jungle trip).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks