Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 09:57   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

The DO IT YOURSELF for getting full ipod and aux-in functionality is finally updated here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post2706782

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-usaspec-pa15toy16.jpg

Finally, a parting shot of the Falcon today, in all its sublime glory.
Understated Elegance...
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortunerfalcon08032012.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 8th March 2012 at 09:58.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:43   #272
Senior - BHPian

A new friend of the Falcon has arrived. The new girl is looking slightly apprehensively at the Falcon for his approval -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-46-superb-head-lights1washer.jpg

The New SUPERB ownership thread is now online here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-destiny.html
Old 7th April 2012, 11:06   #273
Senior - BHPian

The Millenium Falcon (No. 1) compared to the No. 2 in the D2 segment - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2738625

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-superb.jpg

BUT what matters most is that both 'Live to Drive'...

Last edited by dkaile : 7th April 2012 at 11:15.
Old 13th April 2012, 17:19   #274
BHPian

Hi dkaile,

I have almost decided on buying a T-Fortuner (4 X 4) and have got quotes for both the old model and the new one. I read on your thread that you went for insurance from your own source outside of the showroom. Can you tell me the difference if the insurance is taken direct from the insurance provider rather than the showroom ?

Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 19:59   #275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaji View Post
Can you tell me the difference if the insurance is taken direct from the insurance provider rather than the showroom?
Insurance from the showroom is always costlier than insurance from outside simply because the showroom employee/s are insurance agents and hence try to extract the maximum possible margin from the customers on the excuse of providing a hassle free experience whereas there is absolutely no difference in either. What matters is the type of policy you choose.

Since you are from Bangalore, let me know the lowest quote you get, either from the showroom or outside and I will get you something lower.

PS: I DO NOT sell insurance and there is no financial or other interest behind this initiative of mine.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 09:41   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Insurance from the showroom is always costlier than insurance from outside simply because the showroom employee/s are insurance agents and hence try to extract the maximum possible margin from the customers on the excuse of providing a hassle free experience whereas there is absolutely no difference in either. What matters is the type of policy you choose.

Since you are from Bangalore, let me know the lowest quote you get, either from the showroom or outside and I will get you something lower.

PS: I DO NOT sell insurance and there is no financial or other interest behind this initiative of mine.
Get hold of an independent insurance agent, and find the formula. As far as I know this is what my agent explained to me :

1. around 3% of the 95% of the Ex-showroom price, my agent gives me 20% discount on this figure.
2. Third Party cover, in your case should be around 2.5k

so for a 20L vehicle it would be approximately 20Lx0.03x0.8 + 2.5k ~ 50K. The exact figure of 3% will vary (between 2.5 and 3.5) from company to company and depend on the type - normal, zero depreciation etc. This figure is definitely much lower than what the show rooms give, as they want to pocket as much as 40% of the initial premium.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 10:18   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi dkaile,
I have almost decided on buying a T-Fortuner (4 X 4) and have got quotes for both the old model and the new one. I read on your thread that you went for insurance from your own source outside of the showroom. Can you tell me the difference if the insurance is taken direct from the insurance provider rather than the showroom ?
Hi Madhava,
The difference should was around 20K when I last took quote. However at last moment the dealership was adamant to take Toyota linked Insurance from them. If you add zero percent depreciating, it would be around 10~15K extra. I however feel zero% depreciating is not needed in the 1st year. Kindly take quote from outside and you can then insist on your dealer before handing them advance that you would take Insurance yourself. A cover note from your agent can be carried at the time of taking delivery.
Old 14th April 2012, 10:55   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
What matters is the type of policy you choose.

Since you are from Bangalore, let me know the lowest quote you get, either from the showroom or outside and I will get you something lower
I' am looking at a no frills policy.

Thanks for your offer to help devnath. I will get back to you once i get the quotes from outside sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Get hold of an independent insurance agent, and find the formula. As far as I know this is what my agent explained to me :

1. around 3% of the 95% of the Ex-showroom price, my agent gives me 20% discount on this figure.
2. Third Party cover, in your case should be around 2.5k

so for a 20L vehicle it would be approximately 20Lx0.03x0.8 + 2.5k ~ 50K. The exact figure of 3% will vary (between 2.5 and 3.5) from company to company and depend on the type - normal, zero depreciation etc. This figure is definitely much lower than what the show rooms give, as they want to pocket as much as 40% of the initial premium.
The funny thing is that on a price of 20.6L i have been quoted an insurance of almost 56K where as on a price of 22.1L i have been quoted 85.5K. The math does not match up at all ! These prices are for an old and new model respectively.
Old 14th April 2012, 10:57   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Hi Madhava,
The difference should was around 20K when I last took quote. However at last moment the dealership was adamant to take Toyota linked Insurance from them. If you add zero percent depreciating, it would be around 10~15K extra. I however feel zero% depreciating is not needed in the 1st year. Kindly take quote from outside and you can then insist on your dealer before handing them advance that you would take Insurance yourself. A cover note from your agent can be carried at the time of taking delivery.
Thanks for your feedback dkaile. I will now start exploring the options but i have this dirty feeling that the dealer may throw tantrums on this issue.
Old 14th April 2012, 17:33   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I' am looking at a no frills policy.

Thanks for your offer to help devnath. I will get back to you once i get the quotes from outside sources.

The funny thing is that on a price of 20.6L i have been quoted an insurance of almost 56K where as on a price of 22.1L i have been quoted 85.5K. The math does not match up at all ! These prices are for an old and new model respectively.
The difference is the extra margin the dealer would be making. 56K on 20L is about the right amount, 85.5K on 22.1L is the scam.

I had come across a similar scam in case of a friend's Vento. If I remember well the dealer was around 40K, the calculation came to 25K. This is what I think the dealer does

1. Calculates the premium on full value, where as the insurance will give only 95% of the ex-showroom value. They may also be using a higher rate (after all you have no method of verifying!)

2. Does not pass a part of the commission. My agent gives me 20%.

But that still does not account for nearly 30-50% premium charged by dealers compared to the normal insurance agents.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 20:06   #281
Senior - BHPian

19-07-2012, 10000km Report - 3rd Free Service

Well it was 10002 km on the odo when the falcon rolled into Grand Toyota, Meerut, today morning for the 10k km 3rd service exactly after 11months and 10 days into ownership.

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-1.jpg

The engine oil was changed, as was the oil filter. The air filter was air cleaned and all fluids checked. All 4 brakes were serviced and the front disks underwent a thorough cleanup. I got all 5 tyres rotated as per the manual and the stepney was used for the first time ever.

Then I got the shock of my life when I was informed that the service staff had very little idea what "Propeller Shaft Greasing" meant. Some photos from Teambhp were shown impromptu to the Service Manager and I was even more shocked to hear that they did NOT have a grease gun for the job. Hue and cry was raised and I was assured that the same would be arranged within a day or two and I would be given a call back for the job. As my vehicle was never submerged or went off road, I assured myself that the same could be skipped for the moment. I however made it a mark to inform them that their service department was still not up to the mark of the Delhi ones.

The SUV was moved the the wash area which was much more professional and one that I was quite satisfied with. The car was given a thorough air cleanup.

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-2.jpg

Then moved up the hoist for under-body pressure wash and et al

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-3.jpg

Finally the cleaning guys gave it a thorough mopping down

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-4.jpg

The engine bay looking as good as the day I bought it after the 3M treatment

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-5.jpg

The Toyota ages very well

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-6.jpg

The wonderful D4D engine, running better than when it was new

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-7.jpg

The Exide Battery looking pristine

Name:  Toyota Fortuner 10K Servicing 8.JPG
Views: 3110
Size:  291.5 KB

The final look on reaching home

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-9.jpg

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-10.jpg

The insides too shining as new and the ipod merrily playing away

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-10k-servicing-13.jpg

Total cost of servicing was 2437/- which included 6.9L of 5W30 original Toyota Engine Oil, Oil filter and a oil gasket. No alignment or balancing was necessary. Service charge was free.

Faults till date - NIL

The Falcon merrily cruises along. May the Force be with you for reading...

Last edited by bblost : 31st July 2012 at 16:15. Reason: Replaced one Hindi word with English.
dkaile is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 14:00   #282
Senior - BHPian

As one year was completing on 09-08-2012, got the 2nd year Insurance done by Oriental Insurance. Only Third Party Insurance (my legal obligation) done @ 3374/- for a year. Yes, I am one of those "Insurance is the biggest scam" believers. These Toyota guys had already scammed 60 thousand bucks from me for the 1st year Insurance.
Old 31st July 2012, 14:56   #283
Team-BHP Support

People who have taken auto loan probably don't have the choice of giving up comprehensive insurance.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 15:12   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
As one year was completing on 09-08-2012, got the 2nd year Insurance done by Oriental Insurance. Only Third Party Insurance (my legal obligation) done @ 3374/- for a year. Yes, I am one of those "Insurance is the biggest scam" believers. These Toyota guys had already scammed 60 thousand bucks from me for the 1st year Insurance.
what if you bang your SUV and its a total , dont you loose all the 20 Lakh - depreciation in one go ?
Old 31st July 2012, 15:37   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
what if you bang your SUV and its a total , dont you loose all the 20 Lakh - depreciation in one go ?
I can give many rebuttals to your apprehensions but just let's just leave it at that. I follow a path less traveled in many facets of my life and this is one of them. To each his own...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks