Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 10:45   #121
BHPian

re: VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8

Real neat job mate!! Looks sporty and classy at the same time!!!
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 10:34   #122
BHPian

re: VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8

Super Cool !! Does not seem to hinder the brightness much. Are you planning to upgrade the tail lamp bulbs?
Old 19th March 2012, 19:02   #123
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Super Cool !! Does not seem to hinder the brightness much. Are you planning to upgrade the tail lamp bulbs?
Thank you! Yes light does not seem to be too much of a concern (There's still one round of rubbing polishing to go) in the daytime especially with the third brake light. I do have some LED bulbs to try out in the tails on order from DX but they are way delayed now.
Old 19th March 2012, 19:10   #124
BHPian

Those tail lamps look Smokin hot! Any plans to give the headlamps a similar treatment?
Old 20th March 2012, 01:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

What a co-incidence!! Just last night I was looking at some videos that showed how to smoke the tail-lamps. Wow, you sure have mentioned each and every step and the end product is quite predictable (read: amazing) Congrats!! I just wanted to ask you that did you order the night shades and clear spray from abroad or got it from a local market. If local where did you source it from??

I just had 1 more question- Why did you not go in for a smoked vinyl instead which could be removed as and when you wish??

Last edited by S2!!! : 20th March 2012 at 01:31.
Old 20th March 2012, 10:43   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
Those tail lamps look Smokin hot! Any plans to give the headlamps a similar treatment?
Thanks Jogidada! Not right now as I'm not sure regarding discoloration or uneven light dissipation that might occur due to the process. Even if I do sometime in the future it will not be a night shade paint but a very very light grey/gun metal film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
What a co-incidence!! Just last night I was looking at some videos that showed how to smoke the tail-lamps. Wow, you sure have mentioned each and every step and the end product is quite predictable (read: amazing) Congrats!! I just wanted to ask you that did you order the night shades and clear spray from abroad or got it from a local market. If local where did you source it from??

I just had 1 more question- Why did you not go in for a smoked vinyl instead which could be removed as and when you wish??
Thanks S2. I ordered the Nite shade off eBay. Great seller though a bit more expensive than buying it yourself from abroad. I guess the guaranteed delivery more than compensates for the extra amount you have to pay. Aerosol containers are not allowed in airplanes as part of passenger baggage or even freight on most airlines.

I didn't opt for a 'film' base to tint the tails because there was no way that would last the almost daily assault of the local car washer . Plus the adhesive used to stick on the film is really no good for the health of the plastic material used to make the tails. Another reason I'm glad I did not stick on film is just today morning noticed a slightly deep scratch on the tail lights!!! Guess the society children playing around the car couldn't keep their hands off. with film on, this would have been a tear and looking really bad but now its just a few minutes over the weekend I will need to put on some polishing compound and buff the scratch out.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 11:48   #127
Senior - BHPian

@ayedongivadam

Excellent thread and great mods. I just installed the city light kit in my Jetta. As you described its a five minute job. I will be closely following this thread to see what else you are putting in this car.

I want to get the angel eyes headlight mod from ECS tuning.
Volkswagen Jetta V TDI > Lighting > Headlights > European Spec > ES#240957 Blue / Chrome Angel Eye Headlights - FKFSVW8003

I have a blue jetta and want to badly try this out. But the moolah to just try out is a little huge compared to the bulbs and light changes .

Are you ordering directly from ECS and getting it shipped to India.

Was interested even in the Blue tooth kit but again our friendly india dealers will ensure the warranty is void even for the bulb changes we are making. Hate them VW
Old 10th April 2012, 18:49   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Are you ordering directly from ECS and getting it shipped to India.

Was interested even in the Blue tooth kit but again our friendly india dealers will ensure the warranty is void even for the bulb changes we are making. Hate them VW
Thanks buddy.

I'm ordering from all over the world, literally - The bulbs came from HK & the USA and even a Chinese seller. The spoiler is from Taiwan, lots of stuff off Amazon US/UK. BT module from Poland.

This should give you and others hope, I will be getting my BT module installed by the VW dealership. Its taken me a few months to convince them but they have finally agreed to do the job for me. Will keep you posted. Maybe once I'm done you could cite me as an example and have your dealers move on it.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:05   #129
Senior - BHPian

W-O-W!
Those tails look oh-so-hot! Nice work there. Looks sporty and elegant at the same time.

What do you plan to do with the headlamps?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 15:01   #130
Senior - BHPian

@ayedongivadam

Can you please share some details on the shops? I am looking to change the bulbs as well and could use some pointers.

Including the bluetooth kit and if possible RNS510 in the future.

Please do share those pointes from where you are ordering apart from ECS tuning and the customs charges that you have pay here.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:32   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
W-O-W!
Those tails look oh-so-hot! Nice work there. Looks sporty and elegant at the same time.

What do you plan to do with the headlamps?
Thanks Swanand. On the headlights I don't know any good guys here that can take my unit apart and drop in a projector so I guess the only option left to me is wait for the Jetta Hybrid to debut somewhere, anywhere and order the HL assembly off it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@ayedongivadam

Can you please share some details on the shops? I am looking to change the bulbs as well and could use some pointers.

Including the bluetooth kit and if possible RNS510 in the future.

Please do share those pointes from where you are ordering apart from ECS tuning and the customs charges that you have pay here.
Hi VW, I apologise for the late reply here as well as not getting back to you over PM. Will collate all URL's and PM you.

I have to mention though that the RNS510 would be super expensive just for the navigation feature, especially when you don't have a market to offload your RCD unit.
Old 27th April 2012, 19:14   #132
BHPian

Allrighty then, success with the Bluetooth module. Convincing Volkswagen guys to retrofit it for me sure took its time but in the end it was worth every second and penny. I would like to acknowledge the Chief-Engineer at my VW dealership (John) and his able second (Mansur). These guys are stellar!

Having the BT functionality to me was more than just a convenience/show feature, I've considered it a personal safety measure. I was after getting the module installed by hook or crook into the car from day one. It took eight months, but its in and it rocks. Everything is VW genuine done by VW engineers in a VW authorised workshop with ofcourse a little nudge and wink to the warranty aspects (of which I'm considerably opinionated and I'd just like anyone to try something with me) with a full fledged job sheet.

Pics
The module (Procured from Poland)
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-13_max.jpg

Installed RCD510 - Main Screen
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-bt-mainscr2.png

The Dialler screen
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-bt-dialer.jpg

Phonebook loaded
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-bt-phonebook1.jpg

Search function Phonebook
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-bt-phonebook-search.jpg

MFD Phone screen
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-bt-console-main.jpg

BT Menu on MFD
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-bt-console-menu-1.jpg

Screen 2 BT Menu on MFD
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-bt-console-menu-2.jpg

The Phonebook loading into the module
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-bt-console-pb-load.jpg
Ayedongivadam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 09:02   #133
BHPian

Wanted this from Day 1 as well! Would be great to get the details! My workshop guys need much more encouragement though.
Old 28th April 2012, 09:37   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
am missing the clear-coat from this set which is on its way to me, once its in the Taillights are getting smoked!
Hey good job on the DIY, looks great.

BTW what brand of clear coat did you use and where did you order it from?
bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 09:43   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
Wanted this from Day 1 as well! Would be great to get the details! My workshop guys need much more encouragement though.
Keep after them Aurum, they have to relent otherwise a short day trip to Pune and we could have the guys over here get it installed for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Hey good job on the DIY, looks great.

BTW what brand of clear coat did you use and where did you order it from?
Thanks Bharatbs, the clear coat was procured from a vendor off e-bay (Search clear coat paint). It was the only one I could find, not too good. I have a better (Duplicolor) clear coat spray coming in with which I intend to redo and gloss my cars tails.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks