Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 12:00   #316
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

^
Thanks for the thoughts, will also post a photo this weekend.

- The Bolero unit blacked out this morning and displayed some vertical red lines only. It then returned to normal after a while. Will have it checked out by Skoda if it happens again.

- Still to find the perfect driving position to avoid this knee situation. Only driven 200kms so it might take a few more days.

- Purchased rubber mats for Rs. 850. Had to cut out parts of the driver's mat as I didn't want any part of the mat to come behind the pedals.

- Also purchased a Map My India GPS for Rs.11,990 (Vx140s Premium) to go with my car. So far so good, except the device has a poor battery life which lasts only about 1.5 hrs.

- The car is giving 10.8 kmpl in Delhi so far. I am pretty happy with that!

- The damage done to the bumper by the valet guys has been a sore point in my mind. Can't wait to get a touch-up done.

- Love the gear change indicator. It indicates a gear shift-up at around 1800-2000 rmp, even though one can shift up earlier at around 1500. Wonder if it is because the Turbo charged engine is more fuel efficient at slightly higher revs??

- Yet to sit in the back seat of the car!!!
ac-cobra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 14:42   #317
Senior - BHPian

dkaile - Howz the Superb doing? I did share this review link to my friend who was looking for an upgrade from Octy and being a non-bhpian he has informed me to convey his sincere thanks to you for putting in this detail. He is now biased to Superb but considring the Diesel model.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 14:54   #318
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-cobra View Post
- Also purchased a Map My India GPS for Rs.11,990 (Vx140s Premium) to go with my car. So far so good, except the device has a poor battery life which lasts only about 1.5 hrs.
This is a known issue and not just MMI, all the GPS units available here are cheap "Made in China" boxes.

Quote:
- Love the gear change indicator. It indicates a gear shift-up at around 1800-2000 rmp, even though one can shift up earlier at around 1500. Wonder if it is because the Turbo charged engine is more fuel efficient at slightly higher revs??
While the car will lug itself along at low rpms and higher gears, it is not advisable since the engine is under stress. Also, like you said, the gear shift indicator tells you to shift the gears when the turbo has spooled up and the engine is at its optimum operating range/power band.
Please follow its advise.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 15:14   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

While the car will lug itself along at low rpms and higher gears, it is not advisable since the engine is under stress. Also, like you said, the gear shift indicator tells you to shift the gears when the turbo has spooled up and the engine is at its optimum operating range/power band.
Actually, I am glad that my TSi did not come with gear shift indicator so I can shift whenever I want. Most of the time I cruze in the 6'th on the expressway, last weekend a Superb and a Santa Fe gave me high-beams even though I was not in their way (I was in the middle lane, miding my own business). When they came close blinking continuously, I just flicked into 5'th and they disappeared in my rear-view mirror. I was laughing all the way to home. Thank god the MID did not tell me what I should do!

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 27th November 2012 at 15:16.
Old 27th November 2012, 16:13   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Actually, I am glad that my TSi did not come with gear shift indicator so I can shift whenever I want. Most of the time I cruze in the 6'th on the expressway, last weekend a Superb and a Santa Fe gave me high-beams even though I was not in their way (I was in the middle lane, miding my own business). When they came close blinking continuously, I just flicked into 5'th and they disappeared in my rear-view mirror. I was laughing all the way to home. Thank god the MID did not tell me what I should do!
Its actually quite useful. Now I don't think I am a novice with manual transmission cars, but yet the gear change indicator has surprised me prompting me to upshift earlier than I thought the car would manage, but in reality the car managed it easily. Its good for relaxed driving. I think it also tells you when to upshift just before the redline, quite useful if you ask me.

I don't understand what you flicking into 5th and going faster has to do with the gearshift indicator? Its not a physical restriction on you shifting a gear, its just there as help.

On another note, just drove to Goa and back in a Superb Diesel. Gained respect for the car on the drive. It isn't as slow as I thought it would be, and the space and comfort was great. Wish the rear seats had better lower back support. Otherwise a great package at its price.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 16:26   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I don't understand what you flicking into 5th and going faster has to do with the gearshift indicator? Its not a physical restriction on you shifting a gear, its just there as help.
Of course.
Indicator would have told me to remain in 6'th so I would have felt bad.

BTW, generally I shift very early. TSi can surely pull from really low RPM.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 27th November 2012 at 16:27.
Old 27th November 2012, 16:29   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Of course.
Indicator would have told me to remain in 6'th so I would have felt bad.

BTW, generally I shift very early. TSi can surely pull from really low RPM.
Thats where you are wrong. It would have just shown 6th. Had you downshifted to 5th and accelerated the way you say you did, it would have not told you to upshift to 6th till your pressure on the throttle decreased.

Edit - corrected the typo

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th November 2012 at 16:40.
Old 27th November 2012, 16:39   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats where you are wrong. It would have just shown 6th. Had you upshifted to 6th and accelerated the way you say you did, it would have not told you to upshift to 6th till your pressure on the throttle decreased.
Some typo somewhere?
Anyway, if you are saying it would not have complained (by showing 6th) when (and after) I downshifted to 5'th, then I am good.
Old 27th November 2012, 16:49   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- The Bolero unit blacked out this morning and displayed some vertical red lines only. It then returned to normal after a while. Will have it checked out by Skoda if it happens again.

- Still to find the perfect driving position to avoid this knee situation. Only driven 200kms so it might take a few more days.

- Yet to sit in the back seat of the car!!!
- That is not a good sign. Kindly get the Bolero unit checked and if necessary replaced under warranty if the problem reoccurs.
- Try pushing the seat a little back. That has helped me and my long legs.
- Even I have not sat in the back seat of the car even after nearly 8 months of ownership... lolz. That's how addictive it is to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
dkaile - Howz the Superb doing?
Its doing great as you would have noted from this ownership thread. Your friend has made a good choice.
Quote:
Actually, I am glad that my TSi did not come with gear shift indicator so I can shift whenever I want
Really can't understand your point. The indicator is NOT stopping you from shifting but it's just a guide for proper stress levels of your engine as rightly pointed out by n.devdath. By keeping higher/lower rpm's than required you may be just reducing your engine's optimal life.

Last edited by dkaile : 27th November 2012 at 16:57.
Old 27th November 2012, 16:54   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
By keeping higher rpm's than required you may be just reducing your engine's optimal life.
Actually, I already clarified my point that I understand the indicator actually does not prevent me from remaining in a lower gear. It just prevents me from enjoying my sin - when I am in a mood. Generally, I shift very early.
Old 27th November 2012, 17:03   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Actually the gear shift indicator does not tell you anything about the turbo spooling etc...

It just gives out a suggestion based on car speed, engine speed and driver input. Initially I though its just a gimmick where they might have programmed it to display optimum gears based on speed. For example it won't suggest you to upshift even if you are at 80 kph at say .... 4,500 rpm in third gear as long as your foot is on the throttle and you're accelerating . But if you are in 5th gear going at a steady 80 kph and not accelerating it will suggest you to upshift to 6th! Its logic is similar to what you would find programmed in AT Boxes.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 17:46   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
For example it won't suggest you to upshift even if you are at 80 kph at say .... 4,500 rpm in third gear as long as your foot is on the throttle and you're accelerating . But if you are in 5th gear going at a steady 80 kph and not accelerating it will suggest you to upshift to 6th! Its logic is similar to what you would find programmed in AT Boxes.
Ah, this is good. So it kind of senses driver's mood or intention or need...
So I assume it does not spoil the party when you downshift as well? Say if you are cruzing in 6'th and even if you could have accelerated in 6'th, you shift to 5'th to get much more surge?
Old 27th November 2012, 18:02   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I assume it does not spoil the party when you downshift as well? Say if you are cruzing in 6'th and even if you could have accelerated in 6'th, you shift to 5'th to get much more surge?
It may momentarily suggest an upshift, but once you floor the throttle it will disappear. It may then possibly indicate an upshift very close to the redline only. Not sure if one can afford to look at the gear shift indicator if the needle is near the redline in fifth gear though
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 19:05   #329
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its logic is similar to what you would find programmed in AT Boxes.
Precisely, and this logic keeps the engine in the power band/healthy/avoids lugging etc, which is what I was trying to convey.
Old 27th November 2012, 19:31   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Can this Gear Shift Indicator be turned ON/OFF via some MFD menu?
Or does it need VAGCOM?

BTW, does it take into account inclines? Say when you are driving downhill and you need to be in a lower gear to use engine braking, does it shut up?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks