Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 19:38   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
- Mahindra dealership is not at all keen to sell AWDs, I have seen the same attitude from Bangalore dealer while I was hunting for SUV.
I understand they are not bothered about you buying the right vehicle, their priority is to make a sale, with least amount of effort/cost.

Quote:
- They don’t have a single AWD for test drive in whole of Kerala.. We would really want to see how it handles on some of the bad roads out
there.. Now the decision is made based on your ownership report more than anything
Don't worry about it, AWD drives exactly like the 2wd XUV, just the Torque steer(Steering pull on hard acceleration) is missing.

Quote:
- They have hardly sold any AWD’s in Kerala. Hence Mahindra technicians may not be equipped to handle them
The AWD system is maintenance free, just oil needs to be changed at specified intervals. For anything more complex, Mahindra customer will take care of it for you. All the workshops have manuals, tech team will assist them over phone/email.

Quote:
- Mileage will be only around 10 kms due to AWD (One of their sales guy even told it is an All time All wheel drive)
AWD uses on-demand AWD system, so for normal road usage it does not make any difference to fuel consumption(except due the extra weight of it).

Quote:
- Service cost is high for AWD, heard it is around 15K per service
There is no extra maintenance cost, except the AWD system oil change at specified interval(not at every service, i dont remember the exact interval).

Quote:
- Resale can be very bad (not sure why?)
I don't agree, if you list your car properly, there maybe people looking specifically for AWD variant.
.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 16:58   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
-
I hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I don't agree, if you list your car properly, there maybe people looking specifically for AWD variant.
Thanks falconion and anshuman for your very valuable inputs. Decision is still pending, debate now around if an XUV 500 can take the daily battering on the rough the terrain. Second hand Fortuner 4WD is looked as an alternate
Old 6th March 2015, 18:09   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks falconion and anshuman for your very valuable inputs. Decision is still pending, debate now around if an XUV 500 can take the daily battering on the rough the terrain. Second hand Fortuner 4WD is looked as an alternate
Are you looking at daily short-distance errands which involve AWD? In other words do you need the size of an XUV? If yes, then I would rate reliability as a higher concern on your day to day requirements. Please confirm if thats a correct assessment.
Old 9th March 2015, 17:29   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are you looking at daily short-distance errands which involve AWD? In other words do you need the size of an XUV? If yes, then I would rate reliability as a higher concern on your day to day requirements. Please confirm if thats a correct assessment.
You are correct ampere, we would need frequent usage of AWD for short distances through rough terrains(if not daily). My concern is that XUV is not designed for that frequent abuses
Old 9th March 2015, 18:37   #170
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are correct ampere, we would need frequent usage of AWD for short distances through rough terrains(if not daily). My concern is that XUV is not designed for that frequent abuses
Is XUV a proper SUV or a Crossover? Are crossovers ever designed for frequent abuse?

If frequent abuse is the requirement, you should seriously consider the Fortuner.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 19:23   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Is XUV a proper SUV or a Crossover? Are crossovers ever designed for frequent abuse?

If frequent abuse is the requirement, you should seriously consider the Fortuner.
That was exactly why I asked that question? The other aspect, do you need the 7 seater or a Thar would do the job for you?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 20:03   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV is pretty tough, my car has taken bad road abuse pretty well. Unless smash the underbody, it can take a lot more abuse than you think.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 14:06   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That was exactly why I asked that question? The other aspect, do you need the 7 seater or a Thar would do the job for you?
We are using a Thar Non CRDe version there, so that is not been looked at as an option.
Old 10th March 2015, 14:32   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

If you do not want a seven seater, do look at the Duster AWD. I was impressed with the build quality of the Dacia duster in Iceland. Rental 4x4s face a lot of abuse, and many gravel roads have deep pits and ruts, but still, the vehicle is very popular with the rental companies due to its ability to sustain abuse and come out unscathed.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 01:48   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Last Sunday, it was raining, we went dipping the two 4wd SUVs in mud.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-videotn.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-dsc00208rsz.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th March 2015 at 02:02.
.anshuman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 09:51   #176
BHPian

Thanks for the video.

But the main question is, were you comfortable/confident driving the XUV in those conditions? and do you think the XUV AWD is built to handle such rough terrains or terrains that might be worse than this?

I did notice a couple of time the AWD kick in due to front slippage.

Thanks again!
Old 17th March 2015, 10:42   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
But the main question is, were you comfortable/confident driving the XUV in those conditions?
Yes i feel absolutely comfortable taking my XUV anywhere a 4wd SUV can go but there is something you need to notice- being a monocoque with no low range there are two things always to be kept in mind-

1. Know your car's ground clearance and underbody well. Every car has its strengths and weaknesses, XUV's engine plate is low but if you manage to avoid that you can place it anywhere. In comparison Rexton has good approach angle and engine is placed high but fuel tank and side foot boards are low.

2.There is no low range and gearing is tall but the mHawk engine in this state of tune pulls extremely well even at idle, knowing how to use the clutch is the game, you'll shred it in first few minutes if abused.

Quote:
and do you think the XUV AWD is built to handle such rough terrains or terrains that might be worse than this?
See Post#172, you have the answer.

Quote:
I did notice a couple of time the AWD kick in due to front slippage.
In the beginning of the video, i had AWD Locked, ESP off and i was intentionally flooring it hard to have fun in the mud.

So what do you think performs better, XUV AWD with a driver who knows the car perfectly well or Rexton 4x4 with proper offroad hardware but driver has no idea on how to tackle the rough terrain? During this drive the Rexton had some minor underbody hits, got bogged down, had to attempt twice at places where it was a easy walk for XUV. XUV came back with zero scrapes.

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th March 2015 at 11:54.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 10:33   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
XUV is pretty tough, my car has taken bad road abuse pretty well. Unless smash the underbody, it can take a lot more abuse than you think.
GC is big concern on our road Anshuman. As you rightly mentioned in your posts, I too think it can tackled if you know how to place your vehicle. But my in-laws depend a lot on drivers and can't trust them on this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you do not want a seven seater, do look at the Duster AWD. I was impressed with the build quality of the Dacia duster in Iceland. Rental 4x4s face a lot of abuse, and many gravel roads have deep pits and ruts, but still, the vehicle is very popular with the rental companies due to its ability to sustain abuse and come out unscathed.
Duster 4X4 is in consideration, my folks test drove Duster 4X4 on those roads and were happy. I was little concerned about the long term reliability when exposed to frequent use on bad tracks, it should be reliable if rental folks are putting it on bad roads with no issues. Will love to hear more on Duster 4X4 from all here..
Old 18th March 2015, 10:48   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Duster 4X4 is in consideration, my folks test drove Duster 4X4 on those roads and were happy. I was little concerned about the long term reliability when exposed to frequent use on bad tracks, it should be reliable if rental folks are putting it on bad roads with no issues. Will love to hear more on Duster 4X4 from all here..
You can check out my post in the official review. Detailed information there.
That said, XUV is more roomy definitely, and very good value for money. But for somebody requiring a 5 seater, its overkill.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 17:03   #180
BHPian

Hi Anshuman how is your vehicle performing now?? how many kms done and if any niggles.

I am planning to get a XUV W8 AWD and planning to get an exchange offer for my current xylo (2010) which has done just 20k and in excellent condition. I personally feel and exchange deal with Mahindra might not be a great win for me. probably a private sale might be better.
What do you reckon?

Also is there a XUV w8 AWD specific PDI+buyers checklist in the Tbhp forum?

I will be buying most likely from Anant motors Bangalore. Can someone provide a reference to a good RM there.

thanks in advance for responding
BigWheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks