Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2014, 09:38   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Silver Ford EcoSport Titanium (O) TDCi. First delivered in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBeast View Post
Which means even if the service center guys do an ECU scan, they won't be able to detect it.
Thanks.
Is the remap guy in hyderabad too.

Also can you pen down all about your remap here?
By the way when is your ownership report coming by?.

Ford guys connect the ECU port at every service to check and clear error codes, will they not detect anything? .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
But the 1.5TDCI requires a bench flashing right ? in that case the ECU box opening part can be easily detected i guess?
Can you please elaborate Ranjit? Are we talking about the same port which is there at the right bottom of the steering wheel (one with a flap)
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 09:44   #302
BANNED

Quote:
But the 1.5TDCI requires a bench flashing right ? in that case the ECU box opening part can be easily detected i guess?
I was thinking that all the access to the cars ECU is from the 16-pin OBD 2 port than is located near the right knee of the driver as ecosport rules had just said?!

Are you sure that the ECU needs to be opened from the casing for a remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Thanks

Just checked tune-o-tronics website and their FAQ says they'll come to all major cities and work with the car. So while contacting them you'll need to mention the address and they come with the tools than you driving to Bangalore.

But one thing I noticed was, in the 'Cars List' - Ford EcoSport wasn't mentioned! Either the list was not updated or their in the R&D stages.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 1st May 2014 at 09:53.
Old 1st May 2014, 09:57   #303
BHPian

@Ecosport rules

I may be wrong here , with limited knowledge that i have , not sure whether the below holds good or not

The 1.5TDCI from Bosch is not as easy to remap as 1.4TDCI from Siemens.

The 1.4 TDCI can be remapped using the OBD2 port ( the one which you mentioned at the bottom of steering wheel) and doesn't require the ECU unit to be removed from the vehicle .

The 1.5 TDCI ECU encryption is yet to be hacked and hence the ECU unit needs to be removed from the Vehicle and need a reset of the CHIP to proceed with the Remap

Although both process has same end result , the ECU removal for 1.5 TDCI can be easily detected (visually) is what i understand .

To add, the claim for stock map replacement for the warranty claim is not entirely true , what i understood from a knowledgeable person is that the Modern ECU is intelligent enough to keep all the historical logs and it is indeed easy to identify on the changes made .

In short one should't be thinking about the ECU warranty part if he decides for Remap as Warranty will be out for sure.

Last edited by ranjithrnair : 1st May 2014 at 10:04.
ranjithrnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 13:05   #304
BHPian

Quote:

Also can you pen down all about your remap here?
By the way when is your ownership report coming by?.
I will be posting the entire remap experience soon. Probably on the weekend.
The second service of my car is due in a couple of weeks. I am planning to get a lot of things done in that, like switching to Mobil Synthetic oil, get the firmware upgraded, etc. I'll post the ownership review after that, with the second service experience included.

Quote:
Ford guys connect the ECU port at every service to check and clear error codes, will they not detect anything? .
As per the tuners, they won't be able to detect the remap via the OBD2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Are you sure that the ECU needs to be opened from the casing for a remap?
Yes. Access to ECU maps via OBD 2 is secure for Ecosoprt. Cars like Swift can be remapped via OBD 2 but It'll be a while before tuners figure out a way to do so with Ecosports. My ECU was removed from the car and opened up to expose the main chip. Then the chip was directly interfaced, maps were read and updated maps were applied.
It is not for the faint heated to watch your ECU unit ripped opened and fiddled with. You have to have full faith in your tuner.

Quote:

But one thing I noticed was, in the 'Cars List' - Ford EcoSport wasn't mentioned! Either the list was not updated or their in the R&D stages.
The list is out of date. They have remapped a couple of Ecosports, including mine. Obviously the list of tuned Ecosports is short, as it is a new car in the market.

Quote:

I may be wrong here , with limited knowledge that i have , not sure whether the below holds good or not

The 1.5TDCI from Bosch is not as easy to remap as 1.4TDCI from Siemens.

The 1.4 TDCI can be remapped using the OBD2 port ( the one which you mentioned at the bottom of steering wheel) and doesn't require the ECU unit to be removed from the vehicle .

The 1.5 TDCI ECU encryption is yet to be hacked and hence the ECU unit needs to be removed from the Vehicle and need a reset of the CHIP to proceed with the Remap
The above is true. 1.5 TDCI ECU needs to be removed from the car to be remapped.

Quote:
Although both process has same end result , the ECU removal for 1.5 TDCI can be easily detected (visually) is what i understand .
Depends on how careful the tuner was while opening the ECU. Once removed from the car, the Ecu unit is opened using a heat gun to melt the seal and then opened up. It is somewhat like opening a headlamp. If done gently and carefully, there will be minimum or no tool marks.

Quote:
To add, the claim for stock map replacement for the warranty claim is not entirely true , what i understood from a knowledgeable person is that the Modern ECU is intelligent enough to keep all the historical logs and it is indeed easy to identify on the changes made .
I think the above is true when the remap is done via the OBD2. I asked the same question from my tuner and he answered, when they open up the ECU, All the security checks are bypassed and the chip is directly interfaced.Only the sectors where maps are located, are accessed and update. The ECU cache is cleared so there is no history either.
I am planning to take my car to the showroom soon to get the upgraded firmware. So I'm about to find out whether my remapping is detectable or not. I'll share the experience soon enough.

Quote:
In short one should't be thinking about the ECU warranty part if he decides for Remap as Warranty will be out for sure.
When you remap your ECU, it is not just the warranty of the ECU that is voided, the entire vehicle's warranty is voided, provided they detect it.
EcoBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 13:54   #305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBeast View Post

When you remap your ECU, it is not just the warranty of the ECU that is voided, the entire vehicle's warranty is voided, provided they detect it.
Ford will detect such fiddling easily. The service guys keep an open eye for such instances so that the warranty can be removed. Customer loss here.

Till warranty is there use tuning boxes and enjoy. Once warranty ends then go for a remap.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 21:33   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Ford will detect such fiddling easily. The service guys keep an open eye for such instances so that the warranty can be removed. Customer loss here.

Till warranty is there use tuning boxes and enjoy. Once warranty ends then go for a remap.

Anurag.
Why do you say that the reversed remap would be detected and not a detached tuning box? If the ECU is intelligent enough to remember the alterations, shouldn't it keep track of both instances equally?

Quote:
Tune-O-Tronics does their business traveling. Once you contact them, they'll let you know the nearest date when they will be visiting your city. For me, it took almost a month before they came over. I guess they'll fix a date only when they have around 2-3 cars lined up to work on. I am planning to give them a call this week to fine-tune mine. My car has been smoking a lot recently.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 21:53   #307
Senior - BHPian

Contact Tune-O-Tronics they keep travelling and should be able to do this over a weekend. Connecting to the OBD port to clear error codes, will never show any signs of a remap to the service center guys. If they wanted to find out whether your car is remapped, they would also be able to detect whether you have used a tuning box even after you've disconnected it. So unless money is a constraint, a good remap is always recommended.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 22:15   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Contact Tune-O-Tronics they keep travelling and should be able to do this over a weekend. Connecting to the OBD port to clear error codes, will never show any signs of a remap to the service center guys. If they wanted to find out whether your car is remapped, they would also be able to detect whether you have used a tuning box even after you've disconnected it. So unless money is a constraint, a good remap is always recommended.

With you on the remap vs box.

Will get remap done only when they can successfully do it from the OBD port.
Dont want to take the risk of opening up the brain of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Tune-O-Tronics does their business traveling. Once you contact them, they'll let you know the nearest date when they will be visiting your city.. I am planning to give them a call this week to fine-tune mine. My car has been smoking a lot recently.
How are you? Havent heard from you for a long time.

Can petes do the same jod through the OBD port?

I dont know the quality and performance of their maps.

And I want someone who can support all over India in case of Emergency. (Petes has good presence)
Old 1st May 2014, 22:15   #309
BANNED

Quote:

Why do you say that the reversed remap would be detected and not a detached tuning box? If the ECU is intelligent enough to remember the alterations, shouldn't it keep track of both instances equally?
I never said anything about reversed remap or tuning box. Once the stock maps or stock ECU is replaced finding out if a remap or a tuning box addition is difficult.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 22:25   #310
Senior - BHPian

There is noting like history or cache in the ECU.

The ECU generally has a flash counter. Every time the ECU is flashed/mapped, the counter is incremented by 1.

There are tuners who have found a way to counter that even.

Ford is one company which releases updates/patches to the ECU often, hence there are more chances for Ford to either recognize the remap OR over-write the remap with the update.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 22:40   #311
BHPian

Quote:
How are you? Havent heard from you for a long time.

Can petes do the same jod through the OBD port?

I dont know the quality and performance of their maps.

And I want someone who can support all over India in case of Emergency. (Petes has good presence)
Hi Doc, yeah, been a while. Been kind of busy lately, both work and personal front. Hope to meet you all soon.

I am not sure if Pete's have done up any EcoSports till now. Your best bet would be to visit the Pete's shop at Banjara Hills on way to Apollo Hospital. From what I hear, Pete's has a very good reputation when it comes to quality of maps and also after sales support, so don't worry about that part. ToT offices are currently limited to Bangalore, but they travel a lot so it wouldn't take much time to address any issues.

I am planning to call Vivek of ToT this week since my car has been smoking a lot lately and it's kind of disgusting. The car is running with new air filter after a service, so it has to be the map or the fuel quality or both playing spoilsport here. I might have to get the map down-tuned a bit since mine is currently running the peak map within safe levels. May be you can meet Vivek when he comes over to Hyd next time. If you are interested, I'll let you know the dates after I call him up.

Last edited by jayded : 1st May 2014 at 22:42.
Old 1st May 2014, 23:25   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Ford is one company which releases updates/patches to the ECU often, hence there are more chances for Ford to either recognize the remap OR over-write the remap with the update.
You are spot on, Fords get regular firmware updates and that is what frightens me..
The Ecosport has already got an update as per a fellow bhpian.

Quote:
Hi Doc.
I am planning to call Vivek of ToT this week since my car has been smoking a lot lately and it's kind of disgusting. The car is running with new air filter after a service. If you are interested, I'll let you know the dates after I call him up.
Sure I am interested to meet him.
Which filter are you using currently?
What is your opinion about K&N?

Last edited by ecosport rules : 1st May 2014 at 23:27.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:19   #313
BHPian

Quote:
I'm running OEM air filter from Ford. I had checked with Vivek about the need for a more free flowing filter to which he suggested sticking with stock. Just that you need to make sure you change it more frequently than usual. So I've decided to change it every 5K kms instead of the regular 10K. Also it'll be cleaned every 2.5K kms. This is a much cheaper option.

As for K&N. they have both stock and CAI systems. If you really want to go for it, CAI is better, but then it would require additional plumbing and I don't prefer doing that now.
Old 2nd May 2014, 18:48   #314
BHPian

Quote:
You are spot on, Fords get regular firmware updates and that is what frightens me..
The Ecosport has already got an update as per a fellow bhpian.

Hi Doc - enjoyed the drive in the ecosport. Thanks

That said, given your goal is long range cruising, I would suggest otherwise on remap. Do you see an issue in the way the power delivered, loved reading your thread by the way.

Best - ML
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 11:06   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Hi Doc - enjoyed the drive in the ecosport. Thanks

That said, given your goal is long range cruising, I would suggest otherwise on remap. Do you see an issue in the way the power delivered, loved reading your thread by the way.

Best - ML
Thanks for the kind words.

It is superb on the highways and the city.
Power is just adequete so I thought there is no harm in having a little more.
Remap will mostly be useful for city runs.

This is one mod I will not do unless I am very sure of it. (Will drive an ecosport which is remapped and then decide)
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks