Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:01   #406
BHPian

re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Ganesh and Fellow Polo owners, need your input -

Though I've never driven my car with windows rolled down, there seems to be too much dust in the car. The seat fabric has turned a shade of dark brown and I didn't realize that until I cleaned the interiors of the car yesterday. I checked the door beadings for any spots that's open to air and I couldn't find anything.

There are massive concrete mixers working away to glory with dry cement flying the wind all over the place, both at my place of work and home (covered parking both places). I'm worried about our health.

Is it like a Polo thing because my Swift and Vento does not have this problem at all. Any suggestions ?
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:19   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Ganesh and Fellow Polo owners, need your input -

Though I've never driven my car with windows rolled down, there seems to be too much dust in the car. The seat fabric has turned a shade of dark brown and I didn't realize that until I cleaned the interiors of the car yesterday. I checked the door beadings for any spots that's open to air and I couldn't find anything.

There are massive concrete mixers working away to glory with dry cement flying the wind all over the place, both at my place of work and home (covered parking both places). I'm worried about our health.

Is it like a Polo thing because my Swift and Vento does not have this problem at all. Any suggestions ?
I have also felt when i drive the car, without A/C on, it still blows a till bit of air from the vents. May be you can try using the recirculate mode for the A/C and see if that helps.
You can shut those A/C vents completely when the car is parked, i know its not a feasible option every time, but you can try it and see if that helps.
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:34   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
May be you can try using the recirculate mode for the A/C and see if that helps.
You can shut those A/C vents completely when the car is parked, i know its not a feasible option every time, but you can try it and see if that helps.
Being in Chennai I always drive with AC switched on and in recirculate mode enabled. Probably will try the vent closing thing too. Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 22:21   #409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Being in Chennai I always drive with AC switched on and in recirculate mode enabled. Probably will try the vent closing thing too. Thanks
The dust and pollen filter located behind the glovebox will not let the dusty air to get into the cabin so it doesn't matter if the recirculation mode is turned off. As regards the seats, do note that the fabric based upholstery sucks in a lot of dust compared to PU and leather seats. A whack and you'll see dust flying in all directions! Not to worry IMO.

Use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dust off the seats on a weekly/fortnightly basis. Perhaps you haven't cleaned the seats so far? How long is it since you've owned the car?
Old 3rd March 2015, 00:31   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
How long is it since you've owned the car?
Thank you.
Its not just the seats. Its the dashboard, door panels everywhere.
In 8 months of the car's ownership, I have got it cleaned 6 times at least. I'm not sure what to narrow it to.
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:59   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post
Hey Gannu, did you get this delivered? If so, how is it?
Received the inflator yesterday afternoon and the postman delivered the consignment at home.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150302_19_41_43_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150302_19_56_14_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150302_19_57_10_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150302_19_56_40_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150302_19_59_08_pro.jpg

Since it was dark by the time I reached home after work, I couldn't test it right away so tested it today on my friend's XUV5OO. We deflated the tire to 20 psi and then tried inflating it. Results were good. The unit makes some noise thanks to the compressor inside but the impeller mounted on the other end keeps it cool.

I've posted the snaps and a short clip on the dedicated thread (Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump).

Quote:
Thank you.
Its not just the seats. Its the dashboard, door panels everywhere.
In 8 months of the car's ownership, I have got it cleaned 6 times at least. I'm not sure what to narrow it to.

Just an afterthought - can you check if the dust and pollen filter is installed in the correct orientation? The filter is located behind the glovebox and there are 2 plastic latches that can be moved. Move it to the center and the trim will come down revealing the filter. Take the filter out and check the arrow that indicates the airflow direction. Checkout this video:

Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 11:16   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Just an afterthought - can you check if the dust and pollen filter is installed in the correct orientation?
Thanks Gannu. I did clean the filter and the AC cools a little better. As regards to the dust I'm yet to see the results. Alternatively I'm also trying to shut the vents off after I park the car for long durations.

The inflator looks awesome and seems to work the way it looks too. I had my eye on this for my Swift when I was in ZH but fearing customs I did not pick up. Got to get one now.
Old 4th March 2015, 18:48   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received the inflator yesterday afternoon and the postman delivered the consignment at home.

Hey how do you think this will affect the battery of the car ? Is it recommended to keep the engine running while it inflates the tyres? I used VCDS without running the engine, just ignition on, battery has taken a hit. Surely the charge has become low and I am not liking it. It recharges after a drive but at night with headlights on, AC on, the horn sounds very weak. Battery has never drained in my 3 yr old Vento, but the Laura I had, battery was replaced after 2 yrs, reasons unknown. Hope Skoda can replace the battery in my Octy if it's not charging up to optimum levels. Sorry for diverting from the topic.
Old 4th March 2015, 21:03   #414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hey how do you think this will affect the battery of the car ? Is it recommended to keep the engine running while it inflates the tyres?
Not for inflating just one tire I reckon. A colleague was saying that his tire filled faster when the engine was running. I couldn't test it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I used VCDS without running the engine, just ignition on, battery has taken a hit.
What!

That's just not possible Adi. I mean the while the cable is connected to a laptop and possibly no accessories other than the HU functioning, how can it drain the battery like that?
Old 6th March 2015, 22:13   #415
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another small mod-job coming up!

Windshield washer fluid low level warning symbol and message.

Shall post the results once I get it installed.
Update:

Completed the work today since we got a day off on account of holi.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_9872.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_9881.jpg

Good to have this feature since the water level inside the tank was near-empty and I never knew of it. Will put up the DIY thread shortly.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th March 2015 at 22:29.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 22:56   #416
BHPian

Gannu, You amaze me with your DIYs. Amazing stuff.

I need your help in understanding something. My Passat does not have footwell lighting. But when I bent down and saw, there are proper slots for the same already there.
OEM Footwell lights can be purchased from Aliexpress at fairly cheap prices.

I just want to know from you that is installing them DIY stuff? I want to connect them to BCM (or whatever the concerned module is) and enable them using vcds (just like factory).

Can you please help me understanding the same. Thanks
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 13:00   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
I just want to know from you that is installing them DIY stuff? I want to connect them to BCM (or whatever the concerned module is) and enable them using vcds (just like factory).
Everything is in this link.

A weekend job - routing the lights, connecting the pin to the BCM connector and coding via VCDS.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 14:35   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Everything is in this link.

A weekend job - routing the lights, connecting the pin to the BCM connector and coding via VCDS.
Thanks alot Gannu. I did alot of google search but did not come across this link. Its very helpful. Thanks alot. Will keep you posted when I go ahead with this DIY
Old 25th March 2015, 09:48   #419
Team-BHP Support

A component for another minor DIY job has arrived:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_9926.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_9921.jpg

The additional knob helps control the intensity of the lights in the dashboard. The Polo and Vento sold overseas gets this:

Name:  autowp.ru_volkswagen_polo_3door_14.png
Views: 4979
Size:  575.7 KB

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-ii_15733_1342186182511.png

But not in India unfortunately. VW and their ridiculous cost cutting tactics! Luckily, the replacement part is cheap (15 USD landed) and requires an extra cable and a pin for the connector. A Spanish friend who has access to Elsawin’s current flow diagrams helped me with the schematic as well. It’s pretty easy I reckon. Will do it in the weekend and post the results. I mean why should the Jetta owners have all the fun?

BTW, the MFD has been throwing the service reminder countdown messages since 1500 km. Here’s an old one:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150316_07_03_35_pro.jpg

Crossed 28k km last week. Will have to get the second service done shortly.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 12:42   #420
BHPian

Quote:

Since it was dark by the time I reached home after work, I couldn't test it right away so tested it today on my friend's XUV5OO. We deflated the tire to 20 psi and then tried inflating it. Results were good. The unit makes some noise thanks to the compressor inside but the impeller mounted on the other end keeps it cool.

I've posted the snaps and a short clip on the dedicated thread (Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump).
Thanks! It seems to be making a lot of noise and also not filling up very fast.
Also, the least count of the analogue gauge is 5 psi so one can't fill (say) 32 psi accurately.

Also, in your opinion, what is the single most important mod that you have made so far without voiding the warranty? I am trying to get into the whole modding business but scared to do DIYs. The service center is not being very helpful either. I asked if they could fix the armrest; they initially said it is not good because cutting the carpet will decrease sound insulation, though later they said they could do it. I also asked about fitting Osram NBs but then again they said one should only use the bulbs with same rating etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks