Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 17:35   #346
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
i saw a post in HT classified couple of weeks back of a 530D (2014 reg) for sale because the owner was going abroad. if you subscribe to HT you can ferret that posting out. i think it was a weekday (either thu/wed; there is one weekday when HT has some limited car classifieds on. it is a small 4 page supplement) and on that saturday's paper. may be a long shot but whats the harm trying.
Tried looking, i wasn't able to find one.
It's funny that the No.1 reason for selling a car in Delhi is because the owner is going abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So true. The last time I was with an E350 CDI on the highway, I chose to calmly cruise. 6-cylinders, empty road, but I still didn't push it. Was a very boring drive. My C220 was a lot more fun in comparison. However, if you are looking at comfort & space, the E-Class is the pick of the segment.
It's just not visceral, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaks19 View Post
Well, I too am in the same boat, and looking for used 5ers in Delhi/NCR within the 30L budget. But mind you, this budget will mostly get you a 2011/12 520d with around 25-30k on the odo. Check out online classifieds, there are plenty of well maintained 520s around, in whatever trim you fancy. You can also find a lot of 525s online. In fact, have a look at http://olx.in/item/bmw-525-d-dec-201...tml#e8de7e3613, only if you're okay with a 2010 model. 525s will satisfy the straight 6 urge and also come off as budget friendly. A well maintained used 530d is hard to find in Delhi/NCR though there are plenty of 'em in Mumbai. But if you're not specifically keen on the 530d and the RWD fetish, you might look for A6 3.0 TDIs within the 25-35 lac range. The straight line performance is definitely comparable with enough push in the seat to excite you and it's a car, that has and will age gracefully. Do look out for one. Cheers!
Maybe we can help each other out, check out this listing, what do you guys think about commercial vehicles? http://olx.in/item/bmw-520d-2011-top...tml#9a249b246a

I spoke with the guy over the phone, he said that he'll convert it into a normal number. And he has no issues with me getting it checked and what not at BMW.
Not that i'm very keen on this car since it's exceeding the GTO prescribed limit of 40,000 kms., but it's an intriguing offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
In case of the A6, the quattro ensures that there is absolutely no drama. Its clinical but can get mild for those wanting to get dramatic. (read - catch the tail out)

Straight line speed however its bloody quick. The A6 was actually the quicker car until the 5's facelift when they added more power + torque. AFAIK they are now even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You guys are forgetting the ride of the A6 which is awesome with the air suspension and 17" wheels.

Though I agree in terms of driving the A6 is best driven in a relaxed manner.

I've been a fan of Audi from the very beginning, since i found out about the Auto Union and the Quattro and their recent performances at the LeMans.

But VW had to come in and screw things up like no one's business.
I'm appalled by VW and Audi now after the emissions scandal. I think it's important to consider the macro impacts of our decisions. It may sound silly and i know that BMW & MB have also been involved in the scandal, but the proportional damage done by Audi and VW is mind blowing. 14-15x of emissions! Whereas a few models from the other two were at 2-4x (520D being the lowest at ~1.9x), and sales numbers were much lower than popular cars like Golf etc.

Plus they're one of the companies giving 0 about electric propulsion etc. Which is stupid. It's not a company i resonate with anymore. BMW has their eMini and i3 and i8 etc, MB has the Neon SLS AMG.

e-Tron is a sham.

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2015 at 08:48. Reason: No inappropriate language, not even indirectly
sidzler15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 18:50   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzler15 View Post
Maybe we can help each other out, check out this listing, what do you guys think about commercial vehicles? http://olx.in/item/bmw-520d-2011-top...tml#9a249b246a

I spoke with the guy over the phone, he said that he'll convert it into a normal number. And he has no issues with me getting it checked and what not at BMW.
Not that i'm very keen on this car since it's exceeding the GTO prescribed limit of 40,000 kms., but it's an intriguing offer.
Well, I'd say, stick to the 40k limit. My personal limit is 30-35k with BSI even though it results in escalated costs. Moreover, I'm more keen on personal vehicles since they'll definitely be better maintained by the owners/company drivers. Likewise, as attractive these beauties look at such price point, they're pretty expensive to maintain, especially without BSI and after being run for more than 40k kms. That's the main reason I've been unable to find a 5er that ticks all the boxes. I'd say, at this price point (17-22 Lac), look for a hardly used 3er, if you're not keen on the Straight-6 motor. The 2L unit is better suited to the 3er and will be good enough for the enthusiast in you, at a fairly attractive price point and almost newish condition. You'll lose out on space, features and ride quality though so that's your decision to make. Even I'm keenly looking for a 5er with my preferences but if I don't find one, I might settle with a 320d Sportline with BSI coverage. Warranty and running costs are more important to me for now since I intend to keep the car for at least 4 years.

Quote:
I've been a fan of Audi from the very beginning, since i found out about the Auto Union and the Quattro and their recent performances at the LeMans.

But VW had to come in and screw things up like no one's business.
I'm appalled by VW and Audi now after the emissions scandal. I think it's important to consider the macro impacts of our decisions. It may sound silly and i know that BMW & MB have also been involved in the scandal, but the proportional damage done by Audi and VW is mind blowing. 14-15x of emissions! Whereas a few models from the other two were at 2-4x (520D being the lowest at ~1.9x), and sales numbers were much lower than popular cars like Golf etc.

Plus they're one of the companies giving 0 about electric propulsion etc. Which is stupid. It's not a company i resonate with anymore. BMW has their eMini and i3 and i8 etc, MB has the Neon SLS AMG.

e-Tron is a sham.
That's true. If the scandal makes you skeptical towards their vehicles, leave 'em out then. Though I must say, the A6 is still a very competitive package. But that's your viewpoint; your choice. Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2015 at 08:48. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 7th December 2015, 18:57   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I'd say, stick to the 40k limit. My personal limit is 30-35k with BSI even though it results in escalated costs. Moreover, I'm more keen on personal vehicles since they'll definitely be better maintained by the owners/company drivers. Likewise, as attractive these beauties look at such price point, they're pretty expensive to maintain, especially without BSI and after being run for more than 40k kms. That's the main reason I've been unable to find a 5er that ticks all the boxes. I'd say, at this price point (17-22 Lac), look for a hardly used 3er, if you're not keen on the Straight-6 motor. The 2L unit is better suited to the 3er and will be good enough for the enthusiast in you, at a fairly attractive price point and almost newish condition. You'll lose out on space, features and ride quality though so that's your decision to make. Even I'm keenly looking for a 5er with my preferences but if I don't find one, I might settle with a 320d Sportline with BSI coverage. Warranty and running costs are more important to me for now since I intend to keep the car for around at least 4 years.

That's true. If the scandal makes you skeptical towards their vehicles, leave 'em out then. Though I must say, the A6 is still a very competitive package. But that's your viewpoint; your choice. Cheers!

I'm not sticking any budget, it was just surprising to find a car at that price point, so i was wondering what you guys think about such offers. I don't think i'll compromise on ride quality etc, therefore sticking to the 5er.

I agree, the older one was really powerful and the interiors were top notch.
Old 8th December 2015, 08:54   #349
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
No, please don't. That is a 'public' vehicle. You are buying a premium luxury car for a special experience. Don't get one used as a cab.

One thing I must recommend is to be patient, but at the same time diligent in checking all classifieds & dealer sources. You will find the right car, just takes time.

The Jan - Mar period might be good for you too. For one, whatever cars are on sale today will lose their value once we enter the new year. Second, a large number of businessmen & corporates schedule their upgrade by March, the end of the financial year, to claim depreciation. You will certainly have a lot more choice in the Jan - March window.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 15:38   #350
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tried looking, i wasn't able to find one.
It's funny that the No.1 reason for selling a car in Delhi is because the owner is going abroad
How about this car (seems a bit too cheap, but no harm in checking it out) and this one?

Be sure to search online on a daily basis.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 16:32   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about this car (seems a bit too cheap, but no harm in checking it out) and this one?

If you look closely at the picture the car has a 520d badging. I guess that explains the pricing.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 18:06   #352
BHPian

Quote:
No, please don't. That is a 'public' vehicle. You are buying a premium luxury car for a special experience. Don't get one used as a cab.

One thing I must recommend is to be patient, but at the same time diligent in checking all classifieds & dealer sources. You will find the right car, just takes time.

The Jan - Mar period might be good for you too. For one, whatever cars are on sale today will lose their value once we enter the new year. Second, a large number of businessmen & corporates schedule their upgrade by March, the end of the financial year, to claim depreciation. You will certainly have a lot more choice in the Jan - March window.
ok, i won't go for the commercial vehicle..

Patience is not a problem, i just leased a car until February after reading your post. The logic makes a lot of sense, the period might churn out a couple of well maintained ones, so hoping till the end of Feb..

Quote:

going through the online sources, i wish there was a service that would help you do this and take care of everything.. like a concierge for used cars with a service fee and not brokerage. (running it with a few simple algorithms and a back end asset identification and control system might actually work).. (anyone wants to start-up?)
sidzler15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 18:58   #353
BHPian

Quote:
i wish there was a service that would help you do this and take care of everything.
My family was looking at a pre owned BMW/Merc and this was my exact thought too. It would be nice to let someone else take the pains of searching, doing all the checks etc. Truth be told, I'm seriously considering looking into it once I've completed my education.
Old 14th December 2015, 09:04   #354
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ Or all classifieds websites could have a keyword subscription that automatically emails you whenever the car of your choice is listed. I don't see this feature on OLX.

I had set up Google search alerts for a used 530d in Mumbai. It really helped.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 14:27   #355
BHPian

GTO,

Congratulations buddy! An outstanding car and a fantastic review.
Quick question - does the Indian variant have BMW's Dynamic cruise control? Have you had a chance to try it on your highway drives?
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 13:42   #356
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Congratulations buddy! An outstanding car and a fantastic review.
Thank you!

Quote:
Quick question - does the Indian variant have BMW's Dynamic cruise control?
Nope. Requires radar which, till recently, was not permitted on cars in India. We might see these technologies in the near future (related thread).

Quote:
Have you had a chance to try it on your highway drives?
I'm not a believer of cruise control in India (used it extensively in the USA). Wouldn't ever use the feature here, with or without radar.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 01:42   #357
BHPian

So I had an opportunity to drive down my friend's 530d M-Sport (2014) all the way from Delhi to Jaipur on the FLAT NH-8 and man, what a dream machine!

The way that ZF gearbox performs, damn. It behind leaves Audi's S-Tronic in dust. Cruising down or sprinting ahead, it's just so effortless. That stright-6 motor is just something else really. I've driven an Audi A6 3.0 TDI for similar distances through ghat sections but nowhere it is as ecstatic as the 5er. There's just an understated flair in this beast that leaves everyone drooling on the expressway. Now, I'm even more desperately looking for a pre-owned 5er.

Last edited by mohaks19 : 30th December 2015 at 01:44.
mohaks19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 22:49   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The way that ZF gearbox performs, damn. It behind leaves Audi's S-Tronic in dust.
Sorry but thats rubbish. No doubt the 5 is a fantastic car, also no doubt that the 8 speed ZF is fantastic in its own right.

But leaves the twin clutch S-tronic 'in the dust' ?? The S-tronic is the quicker box so your love for the 530 apart, get a hold of yourself
Old 31st December 2015, 09:02   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry but thats rubbish. No doubt the 5 is a fantastic car, also no doubt that the 8 speed ZF is fantastic in its own right.

But leaves the twin clutch S-tronic 'in the dust' ?? The S-tronic is the quicker box so your love for the 530 apart, get a hold of yourself
Well, that's from my own personal experience, what I felt. Maybe it ain't true really but I've driven an A6 3.0 too and the DSG tough great in its own right, didn't feel as smooth as the ZF at low speeds though the S-Tronic outshines in Sport Mode with awesome rev matching. I feel the ZF is a better all-rounder. The 'leaving behind in dust' phrase came up a tad too overwhelmingly though.

Cheers,
Mohak

Last edited by mohaks19 : 31st December 2015 at 09:03.
mohaks19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 16:20   #360
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The way that ZF gearbox performs, damn.That straight-6 motor is just something else really.
Nice to hear! Yes, the engine + gearbox combination is really something else. It's among the best I've seen so far in India.

Quote:
No doubt the 5 is a fantastic car, also no doubt that the 8 speed ZF is fantastic in its own right.

The S-Tronic / DSG is a superb + quick gearbox, no doubt. However, the ZF is superior. Because of the torque converter, start-off and driving around at low rpms is seamless. Unlike the S-Tronic / DSG. The S-Tronic / DSG has a lot more reported failures, with countries even forcing VW to run a recall + offer 10 year warranties on them.

Are the DSG / S-Tronic issues solved? I don't think so. Take a look at Sahil's RS5 thread. It's been to the shop twice in <12,000 kms for the gearbox.

Then, there's that additional 8th cog that leads to unbelievably relaxed cruising (100 kph is seen at only 1,250 rpm in 8th gear, while 120 kph is at ~1,500 rpm).

The ZF 8-speed has evolved so much that there's really no advantage that a dual-clutch offers over it. Heck, Audi themselves agree. The new S4 / RS4, RS7 and a lot more Audis to come are going to get the ZF 8-speed.

There's a reason why the ZF is the most used gearbox among premium cars...across brands.

Last edited by GTO : 31st December 2015 at 16:25.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks