Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 10:09   #601
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Hey thanks for the logical explaination! I do have the VIN decoded with me and checked it today. There is an option "S8KM - Oil Service interval 12,000kms/ 12 months". So it is indeed set at 12,000 kms for Indian conditions. It might have reduced to 9,000 kms due to higher sulphur content in our diesel. But my running being 95% on smooth highways, I would have thought I could have atleast eeked out 12,000 kms between every oil change.

I am OK with oil every 9k kms if that's what's required to keep the engine happy. But my problem is that every time I go for this oil change they take a reading from the key and change AC filter and air filter. I resisted last time, but the guy said that it may cause problems with warranty if I opt out of system recommended changes. I asked them to just clean the air filter and fit it back as it had run only 9k kms, but the guy categorically told me " NO, at BMW we don't clean filters, we only replace"
A couple of years ago, the standard setting used to be 15k kms, which was then reduced to 12k kms, and now 10k kms. And even the 10k kms does reduce if you push the car (to about 7k-8k kms).

Also it is better to just replace the other filters at the time of oil change.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 10:23   #602
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
I cannot live with the dynamics of the car which is hampered due to the rough road package.
The grip levels are still enormous and one really can't hit the dynamic limits of this car on public roads. It can handle crazy speeds.

I value the ground clearance as it enables me to take the car anywhere & everywhere, including parts of rural India. It's a good balance.

Quote:
GTO, just wanted to check with you at what intervals is your iDrive recommending oil change?
About the same as yours which is the maximum I'd go anyway. See my post on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The quality of oil is key to a smooth, efficient & powerful engine. Simply put, if there is only one thing you'll do for your engine, use good oil & change it on time.

What oil change interval do you stick to? I think 10,000 kms is the sweet spot. Not too early, nor too late. I stick to 10,000 kms for a synthetic oil change on my cars. I don't use mineral oil, but if I did, I'd probably change earlier.

15,000 kms oil change recommendations have become popular in the last decade. Sorry, but I don't agree with them. If I ever buy a car with a 15k service interval, I'll change the oil at my own cost at the 7.5k mark (thus keeping the interval even). 15,000 kms is simply too much for India's stressful driving conditions (short distances, stop & go traffic, low average speeds, dusty environment, extreme heat etc.). 15k intervals were introduced mainly by European manufacturers to shed that 'high on maintenance' image they suffer from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgvij View Post
GTO sir the tyre mechanic had suggested me not to repair the bent rims as they might get weak and more prone for developing cracks.
Would suggest taking a second opinion from another professional wheel shop. I wouldn't change the rims just like that. If replacement is required, go with Turbanator's suggestion. I'd gotten one damaged rim of my C220 replaced under insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Bhat! If you decode the vehicle VIN, you will find an option code SA0988 (for Petrol engine it is SA0984). This stands for reduced service interval. Market specific.
Thanks! Learn something new on Team-BHP everyday.

Quote:
But my problem is that every time I go for this oil change they take a reading from the key and change AC filter and air filter.
He's upselling! See this invoice from my last service:
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 10:40   #603
BHPian

Quote:
The grip levels ....

He's upselling! See this invoice from my last service:
Yes. He is up selling but by keeping the buyer not 100% informed.

GTO, that's a very neat invoice. You got a good service advisor.

If you notice, oil change on a BMW is just 15 minute job. It is invoiced at 3 FRU (one FRU is 5 minutes work time)

Regarding oil, the dealer is obligated to mention oil spec on the invoice. It is buyer's choice therefore to pick an oil that could be cheaper but with the same spec. Like from Castro. Should meet LL04 requirements.

Logic of filters:

AC Filter, only change when it is necessary. May be in 1 to 1.5 years. It is activated carbon filter, highly sophisticated and therefore very pricey. It's criminal waste to dump such a beautifully engineered part just for the name of upwelling. It does not void warranty.

Air filter, it depends upon the environment. If the air filter is choked, it creates a suction in between the air filter and turbo charger. Badly choked filter may lead to the oil seal on the turbocharger to give away. This would result in the impeller wheel shattering and debris entering the combination chamber. Disaster for engine. RIP.
However, it's not so scary. Just check the Air Filter visually. It has serrations. If it is choked, distorted etc...go ahead and change it. Lest retain it.
BeamerBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 11:02   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
A couple of years ago, the standard setting used to be 15k kms, which was then reduced to 12k kms, and now 10k kms. And even the 10k kms does reduce if you push the car (to about 7k-8k kms).

Also it is better to just replace the other filters at the time of oil change.
You are right Akshay. I actually did my first Oil Change at 7,800 kms (about 1,500 earlier than required) as I had a long trip coming up. Now the next one is coming up at 18,000 kms. 10,000 kms is about right I suppose. Oil filter change is standard with every oil change, no arguements. I was only concerned about the cabin filter and air filter which come at about 4.5k each. Of course, I went with their recommendation and changed all filters they wanted to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Air filter, it depends upon the environment. If the air filter is choked, it creates a suction in between the air filter and turbo charger. Badly choked filter may lead to the oil seal on the turbocharger to give away. This would result in the impeller wheel shattering and debris entering the combination chamber. Disaster for engine. RIP.
However, it's not so scary. Just check the Air Filter visually. It has serrations. If it is choked, distorted etc...go ahead and change it. Lest retain it.
Scary!

I believe they go by the readings given out by sensors which are then downloaded into the key. Nice system actually so that dealers don't indulge in foul play. I've got 5 years warranty and no BSI. I've decided to go by their recommendation to keep the records clean.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 11:54   #605
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Another weekend, another road-trip. This was my car's 20th highway drive in as many months of ownership.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20161211-13.04.13.jpg

Spent the weekend in Lonavla and on Sunday, drove to a village (Pabal) as Mom wanted to visit a Temple there. Some observations:

- The engine is a jewel and so is the gearbox. There's no driving condition where the two fail to impress. Mercedes & Audi might have 6-cylinder diesels, but they simply don't revv as nicely (took my car to ~5,500 rpm in Sport+ and manual mode!!!) or have a gearbox as brilliant. This combination is gangsta. She's F-A-S-T and she flies!

- Didn't scrape anywhere. The added ground clearance is Godsent. The approach road to Pabal was single lane and we had to frequently take her off the road if there was a bus coming from the opposite side. Tackled that without complaint.

- I like that the gearbox never makes the car freewheel. Take your foot off the accelerator and it'll never engage neutral. Thus, you always have some engine braking. In Sport mode (lower gear maintained at all times), the engine braking is even stronger. What's more, the paddle shifters allowed very aggressive downshifts coming down the Lonavla ghat. In terms of 'control', the paddles allow you 80% of what you'd get in a manual.

- A sedate driver will never cross 1,500 rpm in his life! With a light foot (and still moving with expressway traffic), you'll see the car between 1,200 - 1,400 rpm only. 120 kmph? At ~1,500 rpm.

- The grip levels from the new tyres are phenomenal. I have to sheepishly admit that I took one curve on the Lonavla ghat a bit faster than I should have. She didn't complain and the car retained its composure.

- The biggest problem remains rear seat space. If I set up the driver's seat the way I like it, no adult can sit behind. It's an unspoken rule that, if there are rear seat occupants, the front seats have to automatically be moved ahead. I never had to do this in my Civic, and don't in the Sunny either. This kind of awful packaging is shocking in a car that's longer than a Fortuner!

- I heard mild rattles on rough village roads. This wasn't the case with my C220. No doubt that Mercedes is screwing parts in better than BMW. Many BMW owners complain of excessive rattling once the car crosses 50,000 km and I have no doubt I will be too.

This is an outstanding sedan and even though the model is now 6+ years old in India, there's no other I'd rather be driving.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20161211-13.05.07.jpg

For a vegetarian, things don't get better than this. Cheese garlic naan + spicy kolhapuri @ Sunny's Dhaba:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img20161210wa0005.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2016 at 12:06.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 12:10   #606
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Out on my favourite highway + ghat section this weekend. Clean & sticky tar road (no concrete rubbish). Afternoon time means an empty highway as the truckers are sleeping. This pic is from the climb up to Igatpuri on the Nashik highway. My goodness, what grip:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-1.jpg

LOL! Check out the brake dust. On ghats is where I really, really miss a manual gearbox. As talented as the ZF is, it simply cannot match the control & engine braking you'd get with an MT on mountain roads:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-2.jpg

A rare time that I met another M-Sport on the highway, and in the best colour too! Light colours look so much better on such cars:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-3.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2017 at 12:14.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 15:20   #607
BHPian

Friends today i took my 530D to service center for general checkup and when we opened up the hood of the car we saw mouse foot prints due to dust which had gathered inside. On further investigation the SA found that rodent had in fact reached till the engine compartment under the engine cover.

I have been having nightmares ever since because we all know that rats can cause serious problems to the car, especially when it comes to complicated car like a BMW.

I request the fellow members to kindly suggest the best possible solution to keep away the rats away from the engine compartment, which can be easily implemented in a BMW.

Thanks!
Old 7th January 2017, 13:14   #608
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
On further investigation the SA found that rodent had in fact reached till the engine compartment under the engine cover.
Take action right away! Rats & expensive cars are like Hamilton & Rosberg - they just don't get along. I heard of someone who spent over 5 lakh rupees in getting his rodent-attacked Audi fixed.

Besides, they can also cause severe reliability & safety (e.g. fire) issues.

Immediately, get:

- Rat repellent spray from AutoShine

- Get this device installed. Be sure to add a fuse

If you can add some equipment to your parking spot, check my thread out - link.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 08:16   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

I found this short video review of 530D M-sport. It's done by guys from Bangalore. It is their first review and has come out pretty good.

Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 09:19   #610
BHPian

Went on a drive to Nandi Hills early in the morning and she never fails to plaster a smile on my face in the twisties.
Only thing that bugged me throughout was the ride quality cause of the runflats.
Finally hit 4k KMS since 6 months of ownership.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_5194.jpg  

Last edited by #enzowho : 18th January 2017 at 09:22.
#enzowho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 13:43   #611
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I found this short video review of 530D M-sport. It's done by guys from Bangalore.
The car in the pic as well as video above is the same! Very nice video, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
Went on a drive to Nandi Hills early in the morning and she never fails to plaster a smile on my face in the twisties.
Oh, she is beautiful. And the way that she can climb - thanks to all that torque - is super-sedan class.

But why do you have 4 tail-pipes sticking out like that . Looks ugly man. Please consider removing them.

Quote:
Only thing that bugged me throughout was the ride quality cause of the runflats.
I find the ride quality to be comfortable. You could consider changing to tubeless tyres, but be prepared to run into a lot of obstacles (thanks to the staggered setup).

My earlier post on this thread:

Quote:
I got my tyres replaced. As much as I prefer tubeless tyres over runflats, I had to choose the latter. Reasons:

- Tubeless tyres aren't available for the 530d. No one in India has them. From one dealer, I found tubeless for the front tyres (245 mm), but not the rear (275 mm). Ordering from tirerack.com was a painful option. For one, the cost of Michelins (about $1000) + shipping to India (about $675) made it ridiculous, especially when you add local custom duties (about 40k) and Octroi. Then, refer to this excellent post and witness the associated headaches of importing. My last concern was, if & when there would be some sort of issue with the tyre (say, manufacturing defect), who would handle it? Certainly not tirerack thousands of miles away.

- My experience with the Continentals has been positive. The grip levels are awesome, ride quality is comfortable and most importantly, my tyres didn't develop a bulge or any sort of damage in 25,000 km. This was an important point considering the tyre size & the fact that I head out on the highway often. Tyre guru Nikhilb2008 also told me that runflats - with their firmer sidewalls - will be less prone to damage than low-profile tubeless rubber.

Yes, the ride with tubeless tyres would be even better and their life would be a little longer. The only area I'm unhappy with the Continentals is their quick wear rate (completely gone in 25,000 km).

- Shockingly, the tyres were cheaper at BMW authorised workshops than outside! Whatever tyres that were available outside were priced a grand higher, were of 2015 build and didn't have warranty. I got 2016 build tyres from Infinity, officially imported by BMW.

It was a no-brainer purchase.

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2017 at 13:45.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 22:59   #612
BHPian

Quote:
The car in the pic as well as video above is the same! Very nice video, thanks for sharing.

Oh, she is beautiful. And the way that she can climb - thanks to all that torque - is super-sedan class.

But why do you have 4 tail-pipes sticking out like that . Looks ugly man. Please consider removing them.

I find the ride quality to be comfortable. You could consider changing to tubeless tyres, but be prepared to run into a lot of obstacles (thanks to the staggered setup).

My earlier post on this thread:
Thanks a lot. We have more videos coming up.

That must be the Angle of the picture, it actually looks pretty good in real.
Going for a different exhaust setup soon, work on the prototype is on, will keep you in the loop when it's done.

I don't use the car much so I don't mind changing to tubeless.
It's not a needle want!

Cheers
Old 20th January 2017, 13:24   #613
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hope you guys are parking your beasts safely. Wherever I go, I tip the valet, get a good spot (that's right under their watchful eyes) and park myself. Would rather tip & park safe, then park her in some back lane and lose sleep over an idiot vandalising my car.

This is on a busy road just off Linking Road (Bombay people will know 'Fatty Bao'). The valet cleared up this spot for her:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20170119-20.09.44.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 13:34   #614
BHPian

What are the odds?

Here are the facts:

1) I resisted visiting Navnit Motors for 2 years
2) 10 days after I did, my AC packs up!!!

...and that's the FIRST issue I've had with the car.
Suspicious? You bet I am.

After my recent oil change at Navnit, the AC started playing up. I knew it wasn't the evaporator or the compressor per se because when the AC worked --as it did intermittently --it was absolutely fine and cooled perfectly.
It seemed more like a loose connection.

BTW mine is a 2012 car with 74K kms on the clock. I bought her pre-owned, and this is the first issue I've had.

All of a sudden and quite unpredictably, it stops cooling. All the while the blower fans still run and the lights on the AC controls are all on.

The local dealer in Bangalore --Navnit Motors -- whom I don't trust completely, says it is the clutch on the compressor that's malfunctioning. Their service policy does NOT allow them to replace just the clutch so I will need to change the entire Compressor + Clutch assembly at a ridiculous price of Rs 1,25,000.

I paid their diagnostics fee of Rs 1311 and brought the car home. Now, I badly need a solution.

I have no extended service plan so this is a lot of money to put down.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 24th January 2017, 14:09   #615
BHPian

Are there no other service centers outside of BMW dealership? e.g. Bosch etc?

Going to dealer and replacing entire assembly is like the worst possible way of doing things but this seem to be the case with all foreign brands especially German brands in India. Even for a VW you wont get parts or repair service outside of dealership.

It almost makes sense to get the extended warranty for 4-10 years if that is possible. Of course that is not going to help you now so sorry to hear about your problems. Hope you can resolve it soon and share your experience.

Last edited by noopster : 24th January 2017 at 15:36. Reason: Typos/grammar
krcustoms is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks