Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2018, 18:30   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes it had lots of metallic particles. Dhiraj told me he had used these for 800s and couple of other cars and performance wasn't satisfactory. The set is still lying in my car unused.
Expectations need to be realistic, at least mine are. These things cost a fraction of the OEM parts so my expectations with respect to life is lower but if they do not perform well, out they go. I generally cruise/drive at 100-120 kmph on the highway and the brakes are THE most important sub-system in my car. Right now I'd say they are satisfactory but bedding in and several hundred kms of use will reveal their true performance and/or failings.

Quote:
This is something which Dhiraj had warned me about on the day of first usage, months back. He just told me this: "This grease may create some issues" and kept quiet. I requested him to elaborate but he kept quiet. After that whenever my car went in for any kind of work, he used to inspect the boots. Now after you posted this, I understood what he was doing. I will keep an eye on the rubber parts.
TBH, any guy working in an ASC and an old timer will always be suspicious of a non OEM part. Think about it.

Not to worry though. It is not absolutely certain the grease will mess up the boots. As long as you check them every 6 months (as you normally do with GG) or so you should be fine. Good thing is Maruti's parts are available easily unlike Toyota's where there is a real long song & dance sequence for OTC sales even to car owners.

Quote:
How much do these cost??
Not sure, I'll find out around the end of the month. The part is so rare they were out of stock and ordered specially for me. Makes me wonder what lube these blokes use when servicing brake calipers and pins!
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 00:01   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'm hoping this MGA one should be generic in nature, which I can roughly DIY it on my car.
Did a small DIY myself on my car. The boot lacked that Vapour barrier after the wiper installation. Cleaned the mating surfaces first with Rapid Cleaner. The surfaces has to be absolutely clean for the Butyl tape to be effective. Then carefully apply the Butyl tape around the edge of the plastic. Use uniform pressure to stick it while taking care not to leave any air gaps in between.

Result:

Pretty happy with the results, it looks OEM

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180611_165813.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180611_165818.jpg

Liqui Moly Rapid cleaner used for cleaning the surfaces

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180610_204935.jpg

Update on the LEDs: Loving every single bit. Recently realised that the beam wasn't aligned properly. I woke up at 3AM in the night to have the public roads all to myself and did the alignment after a lot of trials. I still think there is some room for improvement.

King of the road

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180612_204653.jpg

Off
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180612_204847.jpg

Low
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180612_204901.jpg

High
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180612_204905.jpg

Even the reverse lights are adequately bright, compared to the halogens. Illuminates nicely.

All dark

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180612_202258.jpg

Reverse engaged

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180612_202301.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 18th June 2018 at 00:02.
Leoshashi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 11:30   #453
BHPian

Maruti 800 - 1986 | Restoration | Bangalore - India |

Hi All, wanted to share a complete restoration video my friends Maruti 800 1986 Model.
They have owned it from day one and its a very sentimental car. The restoration included complete dismantling, paint scraping, tinkering, repainting, Rust removal, mechanical repairs except engine work. Seats and interiors,Brand new tyres all window glasses except windshield was replaced The finished product ,the time spent and the money invested was worth the final outcome. Hes a very happy guy now. Wanted to share this with all like minded
shreyas99 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 19:41   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas99 View Post
Maruti 800 - 1986 | Restoration | Bangalore - India. Hes a very happy guy now. Wanted to share this with all like minded
One word - Beautiful!

Ok, now here are some suggestions:

a) Get those wheel/lug nuts changed. They're an aberration on a car that looks like a glazed cherry and possibly better than she did when she came from the factory. I was a college kid back in '86 and remember these newly introduced red "new model" M800s. Their paint finish was nowhere close to what's been achieved with this car.

b) The car's dashboard needs detailing. Once the paint is about 2 months old and has set get the whole car detailed by 3M or similar detailing service.

Good luck to your friend and it's been a treat watching this old beauty come back to life again.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 11:01   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Shashi, saw your post on roof channel cleaning. I want to do the same for our legacy zen.
Can you describe how to pry up the roof channel beading. Like, where to start pulling it out . And how to fit it back? Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 21:49   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Shashi, saw your post on roof channel cleaning. I want to do the same for our legacy zen.
Can you describe how to pry up the roof channel beading. Like, where to start pulling it out . And how to fit it back? Thanks
Firstly, the plastics may be brittle and may break while prying out.

Secondly, your zen has two ends, and a long plastic channel in between. My 800 has only one at front. The ends need to be removed first. In my car the ends need to be pushed perpendicularly to the channel length: ie if its the LH end you are trying to open, push it towards right side. It unlocks from the metal hook on the roof. Then carefully and slowly lift the channel. It will creak as it gets free.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 22:54   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, the day started with stripping BHPian Sumitsinha0280's 1992 M800. This car was sold in 2002, and retrieved back in 2011 after it was found abandoned, almost waiting to be scrapped. Then it was restored in a local FNG, and the work appeared fine initially, but actually it was badly tinkered and all rust spots were hidden by putty rather than solving the issue. So this time we have decided to go for the complete overhaul. All chassis panels will be replaced, rather than tinkered and then will be rust proofed in the best way possible using Zinc Primer and Epoxy. Also the engine and gearbox will be changed. Engine has done more than 4 lac kms and now it cannot be overhauled as the block's condition is very bad(was rebored once).
And she is almost ready. 1992 Spec, even the shade is Cairo Dust she originally left the factory in.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180627_192118.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180627_192631.jpg

A detailed restoration thread will come up soon with all details of how we converted a rust bucket to a spanking new car. Few more touches are needed which I will be doing this weekend to complete the factory look.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 19:33   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I have ordered glycol rubber grease (part # 08887-01206) from the ASC which is the stuff Toyota recommends for all its brake caliper applications including internal piston seal/ring.
This is off topic for this thread nevertheless updating since it was mentioned in one of my earlier responses here.

Ok, finally got my hands on the elusive and rare Toyota glycol rubber grease after a wait of about 3 weeks. The grease is pink in colour. The ASC had never heard of it and the part was ordered for me from TKM Bangalore. Makes me wonder what these guys use for brake service.

Anyways, a 100 g tube costs a VERY reasonable Rs 650-700 including taxes and it is really worth the money. And to think I spent more than a couple of thousands buying Permatex ceramic lube albeit in a larger quantity of 230 g/8 Oz. I expect each tube to last for at least 2 brake lube jobs on all 4 wheels. One has to apply this grease sparingly to the specific parts including caliper pins, piston seal among others. This is not for lubing the back of brake pads or pad clips as Toyota doesn't recommend it. Permatex comes in handy for lubing these surfaces if necessary.

The quality of this rubber grease product can be gauged from the fact that my car's caliper pins were last lubed at the factory nearly a decade ago. Dealerships do not lube the pins during service and only check for free movement. If the pin moves freely they just move on to the next step. The product is made by Cosmo Oil Co. Japan

PS - Tube reminds me of a Colgate toothpaste pack
Attached Thumbnails
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-glycol-grease-1.jpg  

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-glycol-grease-2.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd July 2018 at 19:40.
R2D2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 23:39   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is off topic for this thread nevertheless updating since it was mentioned in one of my earlier responses here.
I am grateful you replied about this, I was about to ping you.

Quote:
Anyways, a 100 g tube costs a VERY reasonable Rs 650-700 including taxes and it is really worth the money. And to think I spent more than a couple of thousands buying Permatex ceramic lube albeit in a larger quantity of 230 g/8 Oz. I expect each tube to last for at least 2 brake lube jobs on all 4 wheels. One has to apply this grease sparingly to the specific parts including caliper pins, piston seal among others. This is not for lubing the back of brake pads or pad clips as Toyota doesn't recommend it. Permatex comes in handy for lubing these surfaces if necessary.

The quality of this rubber grease product can be gauged from the fact that my car's caliper pins were last lubed at the factory nearly a decade ago. Dealerships do not lube the pins during service and only check for free movement.
Sounds like an awesome product, and a long lasting one at that. Permatex also lasted much more than standard Maruti grease for me, but will definitely try this one.

Thanks for sharing the part number, will try to place an order here, else, will trouble you.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 09:22   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am grateful you replied about this, I was about to ping you.
Of course, I'd update this thread! You should know me by now.

Quote:
Sounds like an awesome product, and a long lasting one at that. Permatex also lasted much more than standard Maruti grease for me, but will definitely try this one. Thanks for sharing the part number, will try to place an order here, else, will trouble you.
I am interested in your feedback about Permatex Ceramic especially the effect on any rubber parts. I do not think it is a red flag for rubber parts but some users have reported undesired aftereffects.

Normally you would just get a rubber boot and squeeze it on to the lip to install. In my car the rubber boots have a flanged metal bush at the end which require a clamp and a bench to press them evenly onto the caliper carrier. This is a Bosch braking system part and you can trust the Germans to be 'thoda hat ke'.

About buying parts from Toyota - As I said earlier getting parts even minor ones from TKM's dealers is one heck of a song and dance sequence. If you seek to buy this lube go with a friend/family member who owns a Toyota vehicle. This lube is rare to find and if it's not in stock be prepared to wait. Spares are always sold against a particular model and a job card. Some dealers go to the extent of asking for proof of ownership as was done with me. I was even asked to send the car's RC, warranty book and the VIN # by WhatApp before they agreed to sell spares OTC. The good thing is TKM permits sale of spares OTC so while dealers initially resist a call to TKM sets them in order.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th July 2018 at 09:33.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 11:02   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of course, I'd update this thread! You should know me by now.

Quote:

I am interested in your feedback about Permatex Ceramic especially the effect on any rubber parts. I do not think it is a red flag for rubber parts but some users have reported undesired aftereffects.
I have been using Permatex since November last year, and the boot is healthy as ever. I am keeping an eye over them.

Quote:
Normally you would just get a rubber boot and squeeze it on to the lip to install. In my car the rubber boots have a flanged metal bush at the end which require a clamp and a bench to press them evenly onto the caliper carrier. This is a Bosch braking system part and you can trust the Germans to be 'thoda hat ke'.

Quote:
About buying parts from Toyota - As I said earlier getting parts even minor ones from TKM's dealers is one heck of a song and dance sequence. If you seek to buy this lube go with a friend/family member who owns a Toyota vehicle. This lube is rare to find and if it's not in stock be prepared to wait. Spares are always sold against a particular model and a job card. Some dealers go to the extent of asking for proof of ownership as was done with me. I was even asked to send the car's RC, warranty book and the VIN # by WhatApp before they agreed to sell spares OTC. The good thing is TKM permits sale of spares OTC so while dealers initially resist a call to TKM sets them in order.
I do have some experience of TKM and its dealers, as we own an Old Gen Innova which is currently used by my Grandparents. Also a close friend owns many Toyota's.

When I asked them today morning about the spare, they said "Saar it's a service part and Toyota cannot sell it OTC as it's meant only for workshops. We can sell if you show us a proof of owning a workshop, GST number and all".

Coincidentally, dad's official ride which happens to be a Crysta was going for its 2nd Service today. I have asked the driver to place an order for the same. Let's see how it goes. They don't apply their brains when it comes to fulfilling orders for cars with GoI tag on them, hence I am hopeful.

Also a long wait for such a consumable item is too much. MSIL keeps a healthy stock of such special greases etc which are imported from Japan, even when it's rarely used by workshops. 10 days maximum is what they need.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 11:44   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates:

1. A bad Sunday: I was at MASS to inspect the restoration of BHPian Sumitsinha0280's 800. I had parked my car outside the MASS. Suddenly the guard came running and informed that one Dzire had banged my 800 while reversing, and my car was dragged and partially pushed in a drain.

Luckily the damage wasn't much, thanks to the flimsy bumper of the Dzire. My 800's rear bumper got some scratches, but paid back the Dzire in the form of broken bumper locks and torn bumper.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180624_092637.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180624_092818.jpg

What was more concerning was that the front left wheel was lying inside the drain, and the entire load was on the front stabiliser bar. Looking at the scene I was dead sure some steering or suspension component will be affected.

Every single part was taken out and inspected. At last, we found one tie rod and the stabilizer bar was damaged. The deviation on the stabiliser bar was 3mm compared to new one.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180624_112126.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180624_112417.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180624_112525.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180624_112729.jpg

After changing the parts, I took the car for wheel alignment(also to check the caster angles). As it was a Sunday, the shop where I regularly go was closed. Going back to my MASS wasn't an option due to traffic. I got the alignment done from another MASS which was near my house, and immediately all problems started. Steering was super hard, and the front wheels felt they were dragging. I called it a day and decided to get it checked next day at my regular shop. Didn't take GG anywhere as something wasn't right.

Next morning, my mechanic Arjun called me and asked if everything was fine, I told him everything, and he told me to reach the alignment centre, and he would visit too.

While the caster was perfect, thanks to changed stabiliser bar and bushes, look at the toe values.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180626_111236.jpg

Arjun supervising the entire process

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180626_111623.jpg

Later that day wobble started, and it was found that left front rim was slightly out of shape. I took this as an opportunity to change the look of the car. Always wanted to check out how Zen Facelift's wheelcaps would look on my car. Got black Zen rims(same design and specs as 800, but black in color for VXI) .

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180628_144052.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180628_185140.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180628_185826.jpg

So this is how GG currently looks:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180629_183453.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180629_183507.jpg

Photobombed:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180630_181352.jpg

I am not sure if it is an improvement or a degrade, so do pitch in with your suggestions if I should retain it, or remove it. BHPian Sumit Sinha is furious and he liked my old silver rims more.

2. Side effects of Wiper installation and damping: The boot door had become extremely heavy after wiper installation and damping. The stock damper was unable to lift it completely. I therefore ordered the damper which goes for export market, which gets these features as standard.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180703_195935.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180703_195952.jpg

Now the lifting action is much better. Hope it remains like this.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 11:58   #463
BHPian

Looks like the GG is back to its former glory
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 12:34   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been using Permatex since November last year, and the boot is healthy as ever. I am keeping an eye over them.
That's good news for sure and makes me trust Permatex even more.

Quote:
When I asked them today morning about the spare, they said "Saar it's a service part and Toyota cannot sell it OTC as it's meant only for workshops. We can sell if you show us a proof of owning a workshop, GST number and all".
He's giving you a load of tosh. In fact they DON'T sell to FNGs them being competition.

Quote:
Also a long wait for such a consumable item is too much. MSIL keeps a healthy stock of such special greases etc which are imported from Japan, even when it's rarely used by workshops. 10 days maximum is what they need.
Since your grandparents use an Innova if the dealer refuses to cooperate just call up TKM's help line and complain about the dealer.

The volume of cars sold by MSIL is in a different league compared to TKM hence they keep most spares on hand.

Strange thing is the rubber grease is pretty unheard of and sourcing it is a mystery even overseas where people default to Permatex, 3M silicone grease, Syl Glide and similar easily available products for this purpose.

I hope TKM's ASCs don't use multi-purpose grease to lube those pins because that'll destroy the boots over time. Must dig deeper into exactly what they use when I go there next time for my car's annual service.

PS - Saw your update on GG's experience on Sunday. Good to see it restored to its former shape. Looks even better with the new rims.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th July 2018 at 12:38. Reason: added PS
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 07:03   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi
do pitch in with your suggestions if I should retain it, or remove it.
You have a car towards which you have put in a lot of effort to preserve its originality. Putting in wheels that don't belong with the car and with those awful looking wheel covers will spoil the efforts you have been putting in till now.

Wheels are a major part of the personality of a car and tells you within seconds whether a car is an original or not.

Modifying a car is relatively easy and there are several ways one can go about it but preserving the originality of an earlier model is a skill and an art. Please don't spoil your efforts in this manner.

Once you have tampered with the originality your car is just like every other 800 on the road and would lose its uniqueness.

Please throw those wheels away and stick to the original.

Quote:
Looks even better with the new rims.
@R2D2 - this is sacrilege! How could you??

Last edited by AMG Power : 5th July 2018 at 07:17.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks