Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 23:45   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
Hello Shashi sir,

Firstly would like congratulate you for completing so many successful year with the car. I take you as my idol when it comes to maintaining my car. When my father bought home a WagonR in 2015 I was sure to buy all the products that I could with my two year's of savings. I was still in Inter School and had only 1000 as my savings. Bought a Jopasu duster, a microfiber and a Formula 1 Wax so as to keep her in immaculate condition. Fast forward to today she has only done 8500 kms till date and is the best looking car in our neighborhood despite people buying newer cars.
Hello Buddy

Thanks a lot for all the appreciation. The habit always starts from a small saving, and eventually develops into a passion. In my case, I still remember the first spray Wax worth 50 rupees I had purchased with my pocket money.

Slowly the collection grew into this :

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-1-2.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-22.jpg

Enjoy the journey!

Quote:
Also sir, I'm planning to perform a comprehensive service on my friend's 2008 Alto LXI. The engine is my primary concern right now. The car has clocked a total of 73,000 kms and the servicing was mostly delayed. I last drove the car in Dec 2019 last time when I was teaching him how to drive and there was denying the fact that the engine has been abused badly. There is a definite resistance when one wants to accelerate, the clutch grabs too quickly, the brakes feel too woody and the list just goes on. Infact i'm so much scared that i might break something while just trying to fix it that I've never popped the hood till date as i fear whether the hood will latch again or not.

So this is all that I've thought of performing on his car:-

1. Oil Change to full Synthetic
2. Radiator Flush
3. Coolant Change to Ecstar Coolant/Golden Cruiser
4. Brake Fluid change to Ecstar DOT 3
5. Cleaning of oil strainer.
6. Adding Liqui Moly Injector Cleaner
7. Replacing Brake Pads
8. Replacing the water pump and timing belt
9. Cleaning the fuel tank.
10. Replacing the fuel filter
11. Replacing the Air Filter, Cabin Air Filter
12. Replacing the spark plugs.
13. Clutch Overhaul
14. Gear Oil Replacement
>Oil change to Synthetic won't create any issue. It won't damage the seals, but if there are any weak seals, its weakness will surely come out in the form of a leak. That doesn't mean that the synthetic oil damaged your seal. The leak was already weak. I'll recommend Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. I'm not a big fan of flush, let the detergents of synthetic oil do the job.
Regarding sludge, do take a look inside engine and then you can decide whether to clean the strainer and pan or not.

>For radiator flush, you can use Liqui Moly or something similar. I did it as a DIY. Pour the contents into your radiator and drive for a week. Then remove the thermostat housing and radiator inlet hose. Choose any end and insert a pipe so that water flows freely. You'll understand when to stop, once water coming out is clear. If you are concerned about tap water remaining inside coolant galleries, then take a compressed air hose/blower/vacuum cleaner in blower mode and make sure all tap water is flushed inside. Do the same for radiator. Replace coolant and dilute with distilled water.

>Injector cleaner by Liqui Moly is good. I also regularly run System G after every tankfuls.

>Brake Pads by TVS(Apache Series) is cheap as well as excellent. Do give it a try.

>Tank cleaning is a must every 5 or so years I'd say in Indian conditions. Also if the internals has to much rust then consider replacing it for good.

>Plugs etc are fine but also measure resistance of coils/HT cables. They also go bad with age.

>For clutch, go with Exedy/Ceekay or Luk. Strictly no Valeo for Alto. Also check clutch cable while you are at it.

>For gear oil, on a budget, try to source 75W90 Shell Spirax. Also source two tubes of Liqui Moly Gear additive if possible then see the magic. Avoid 80W90.

>Regarding belts, you may check condition of timing belt and water pump. Change depending on their condition. I have changed Timing belt many times but it was in excellent shape everytime. Since you are on a strict budget, I'd recommend taking a look at them first and then make a decision. Also whenever you change timing belt, always change tensioner without fail.

>Change water pump only if there is any issue like sound, leak etc. Water pump doesn't go bad if maintained. My 800 is still on the original water pump, which is shared with Alto.

>I found WIX filters on Boodmo.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 21:26   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

DIY Fuel System Clean: After the fuel pump failed in 2017 due to sediments, I decided to have a look inside the tank to gauge the cleaning frequency. I was surprised that even after 3 years, there was considerable amount of sediment inside.

Didn't want to take GG to MASS as they will hardly dedicate this much time and effort to clean things. I wanted to do it my way with inputs from friends, mechanic and ex-SA Dhiraj.

Since I was alone doing it, couldn't take as many pics as I'd have wished. This is all I could manage:

1. Relieve the fuel pressure. To do that, I took out the fuel pump relay and let the engine run till it died. Then opened the tank cap, to release the built up pressure. This is important in MPFI cars and don't miss it. Carb owners may skip as there is no pressure in your lines.

2. Jack up the car from behind to access the fuel tank. First disconnect all hoses. There will be a thick inlet hose, a thin vapour line, One high pressure line from pump to filter, and a hose from filter to metal pipes.

3. Put a jack below the tank so that it gently touches it. Remove the 4 bolts holding the tank to the body. Slightly lower the tank and then disconnect fuel pump coupler and fuel gauge pin.

4. Lower the tank and then carefully pull it out.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-1.jpg

Noticed this wet part which indicates a leak. The gasket of fuel level sender unit was gone again. Unfortunately it's gasket doesn't come separately. But since I had a new sender unit, I used it's gasket.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-2.jpg

Also took this opportunity to remove the catcon and the silencer for another DIY:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-3.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-4.jpg

The dirty Fuel Pump:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-5.jpg

Drained around 3L of fuel and washed the internals once. Then allowed it to soak with APC overnight.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-6.jpg

Cleaned the pump externally to reveal that it was originally a Japanese made unit:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-7.jpg

New Sender Unit: It's gasket was used since the old unit was working flawlessly.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-8.jpg

Cleaned and polished the hoses to reveal its actual condition. They were all in excellent shape.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-10.jpg

Since the longer High pressure hoses are rare plus expensive( close to 3k a piece), I was advised by Dhiraj to cover it with a protector, since they are often targetted by rodents. Used MGP's protector.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-11.jpg

20 Year old hose, still in excellent shape:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-14.jpg

Ready to go in:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-15.jpg

After tank had dried, it went for a fresh coat of paint. Didn't bother much about finish, protection had to be good:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-16.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-17.jpg

Thanks to the summers, it was ready to touch and work with in an hour. Also installed new filter.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-18.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-19.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-23.jpg

Opted to color code the HP and LP hoses :

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-21.jpg

Cleaned the fuel pump coupler and applied electrical grease:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-22.jpg

Replaced some frayed hoses:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-24.jpg

Keeping a good stock at home helps, no running around for spares:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-25.jpg

Needed some lock washer and bolts, found in my stock again!:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-26.jpg

Using Jack again to mount the tank. The masking tape was used to protect the tank along edges during installation:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-27.jpg

Also thought why stop at this. While the soaking was going on, decided to pull out the injectors and cleaned them myself using aerosol cleaner and the contraption I have made. Took a hose, put injector at one end and blocked the other end with a bolt. Made a tiny hole in between for cleaner nozzle to pass. Also made two wires to go into the injector terminals. Failed a couple of times, but after some mods(like putting clamps), it worked great. First tried to give voltage as pulses, as that's how the injector gets it. Continuous voltage should be avoided unless the injector is clogged(one in my case was) as the solenoid tends to get hot.

The contraption:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-28.jpg

Sealed the tiny hole with glue gun and taped it later.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-29.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-30.jpg

Working:

Hope you all liked it.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 21:43   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
DIY Fuel System Clean:
Another excellent DIY.

Quote:
Since I was alone doing it, couldn't take as many pics as I'd have wished.
I can understand this. It's a challenge to take snaps at every step when you're working alone. Although this is quite informative.

Quote:
Since the longer High pressure hoses are rare plus expensive( close to 3k a piece), I was advised by Dhiraj to cover it with a protector, since they are often targetted by rodents. Used MGP's protector.
Whoa! Never knew that something like this also exists in Maruti's arsenal. How long is it? Do you get both colours or single one? Please share the part number. Can be handy for many things.

Quote:
Cleaned the fuel pump coupler and applied electrical grease.
Electrical grease also exists?

Quote:
Keeping a good stock at home helps, no running around for spares.
That's true. Having everything within reach when working on a DIY is of utmost importance.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 21:49   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Whoa! Never knew that something like this also exists in Maruti's arsenal. How long is it?
Its about a feet long. Same stuff what you get in local electrical shop, the thicker variety. I had some in my stock so I spared myself the trouble of running to the electrical shop. No need to buy it IMHO. It's normal black in color, I did color coding with electrical tapes.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 5th June 2020 at 21:51. Reason: Typo
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 22:44   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
DIY Fuel System Clean: After the fuel pump failed in 2017 due to sediments, I decided to have a look inside the tank to gauge the cleaning frequency. I was surprised that even after 3 years, there was considerable amount of sediment inside. .
You should open a garage and cater to the enthusiast who aims towards long term ownership of their car. I am sure such care and detail isnt easily found elsewhere and it really pays off when we consider owning cars for longer durations of time. Really appreciate the work being done on your car. Sometimes it might look like its too much of work, but hey this is brag worthy. Hadnt checked this thread in sometime and it was about time.

Keep it up!
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:07   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Also took this opportunity to remove the catcon and the silencer for another DIY
DIY Catalytic Converter Cleaning: Taking inspiration from a video where renowned mechanic Scotty Kilmer recommended flushing/soaking catcon to remove deposits of soot and unclog it, I decided to remove the cat. Also offlate I was noticing some reduced flow. Of course I could be wrong, but since I had prepared stuff for soaking, decided to soak the CAT as well.

Video of Scotty Kilmer:

For catcon, I relied only on strong kitchen and laundry soap liquids as recommended.

Initially the CAT was so badly choked that there was absolutely nothing visible through the honeycomb mesh. I believe that's what had resulted in reduced flow and weird popping sounds from exhaust. After cleaning, I could see some diffused light through the mesh, so mission successful! It also solved the issue of reduced flow and those popping sounds.

Time for some pics and Videos:

Soak solution ready:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-.jpg

Soaking the cat for almost a day:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-b.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-c.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-e.jpg

Summary of the entire process:

Used new Exhaust crush gaskets:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-f.jpg

Installed back after cleaning and a fresh coat of paint:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-g.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-h.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-i.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Note that this cleaning will work only if your substrate is intact in one piece.
Leoshashi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:43   #742
BHPian

Great job Shashi. Have you noticed any change in exhaust note and engine performance after the catcon clean? How did you paint the catcon and the fuel tank?
Blow Horn Ok is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:06   #743
Senior - BHPian

Hi Leoshashi!

Just came across your thread today and may I say you brought back so many memories of mine with 800s. The review is a complete joy to read and I feel so happy that Maruti and your SA give such good service even after all these years of ownership.
OT: In Shillong, there was an abundance of the M800s and the '00 800s being used as local taxis They were mostly converted to have 6-Seat conversions and I remember my 3-year-old self back in 2008 just enjoying the views of the city while sitting in the middle seat of the front row .

Thanks,
Akashdeep
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 16:56   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Another great DIY. The thrill and satisfaction of a successful one is worth all the work.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
How did you paint the catcon and the fuel tank?
I would too like to know about the paint used over silencer part. I want to paint the exhaust end can to black and hide it.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:19   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great job Shashi. Have you noticed any change in exhaust note and engine performance after the catcon clean? How did you paint the catcon and the fuel tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The thrill and satisfaction of a successful one is worth all the work.
Indeed. Specially for a noob like me who mostly end up with something broken whenever I attempt a DIY.

Quote:
I would too like to know about the paint used over silencer part. I want to paint the exhaust end can to black and hide it.
For your requirement, I'll recommend 3M's Black silencer coating. Its easily available online.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-51ihcomnl._sl1024_.jpg

Quote:
I haven't got the opportunity to take it out for a spin yet. Initial impressions look positive with good exhaust flow and the popping sound which used to come earlier is much muted now.

I painted the fuel tank with Abro's Mat Black paint spray. For silencer I used Liqui Moly's Zinc Spray. Its fairly heat resistant and LM advertises it as Silencer spray as well.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:49   #746
BHPian

I would but it is unbearably dirty at this time as it is most of the time parked at that spot below the tree where small leaves & flowers gets inside the bonnet. Let me get a wash done and then will post both before & after pictures. It uses R12a AFAIR.

Quote:
PS: @ankitsharma Sir, which AC gas system is your car running? Will love to see pic of engine bay as well.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 21:35   #747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
I would but it is unbearably dirty at this time as it is most of the time parked at that spot below the tree where small leaves & flowers gets inside the bonnet.
Please be careful and ensure that the cowl is clean, the drains are not clogged. Else it rusts pretty soon and then the whole car becomes a mess.

Quote:
Let me get a wash done and then will post both before & after pictures.
Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Quote:
It uses R12a AFAIR.
What is the month of manufacture of your 800?? AFAIK, the last batches of 5 speed did get R134 system. But they are rare.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 23:09   #748
Senior - BHPian

Good Job! Did any boy help/advice you or you managed to do this yourself?
Second Question - Washing them with soap water? did you perform any kind of treatment? Won't the water cause the tank to rust from the inside?

This will be my next DIY - all alone

Last edited by Captain Slow : 6th June 2020 at 23:28.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 12:35   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Good Job! Did any boy help/advice you or you managed to do this yourself?
Second Question - Washing them with soap water? did you perform any kind of treatment? Won't the water cause the tank to rust from the inside?
I did seek advice from many, watched many youtube videos for reference, but the DIY was done entirely by yours truly without any help. I was in constant touch over whatsapp with my trusted mechanics and ex SA Dhiraj.

Quote:
I did add some amount of Rustoleum Rust cutter in between, diluted in water. That not only dissolved some specs of rust it had, but also claims to coat bare metal for some protection.

If your tank is completely rust free, then no need to use rust cutter. A nice clean wash and comprehensive drying on the rooftop is enough. Rusting happens when moisture is there.

Quote:
This will be my next DIY - all alone
Perfectly doable if you have a trolley jack with you.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 01:03   #750
BHPian

Quote:
DIY Catalytic Converter Cleaning

Awesome DIY Leoshashi, preventative maintenance like these will make sure that your M800 continues to be in immaculate condition for a long time to come, both cosmetically & mechanically.

I have a small query regarding painting the silencer. How does the paint hold up in the long run? I am aware that you have used a heat resistant paint, but the silencer does heat up a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Let me get a wash done and then will post both before & after pictures. It uses R12a AFAIR.
I think it should have R134 AC gas since it has all the other updates that were made mandatory in 2003, like rear seat belts & HMSL. My good friend has a Feb 2003 registered Zen LX, his car has a R134 based AC system along with rear seat belts & HMSL.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 9th June 2020 at 01:05.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks