Team-BHP - Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/18313-tata-safari-dicor-3-0l-vx-4x4-lehd-105k-kms-up-auf-wiedersehen-14.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 830830)
I know Benny, the other bird's already completed 5k kms after fixing her new shoes, I think I owe at least Ishan an update on that one if not anyone else:p

Koi nahin old man, I understand it's a tough job to write updates now, what with your tired limbs & aching joints & all that!! Take your time but please don't be as slow with updates as GD is after having a "Maya" stint!!!

@Suman..... Fuel Filter for 21xx Rs, isnt that expensive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 830780)
The clutch was a little hard & gear shifting was hard in cold conditions - to my mind, all that they needed to do was to remove & service master & slave cylinder & refit. But the Advisor insisted that "Sir, clutch replace kar dete, warranty mein. Maaza aah jayega gaddi chalake sir". I wasn't keen on this but since it was under warranty, I agreed. So, clutch changed, lol!

Surprisingly, the same thing happened during my 30K km service. The clutch was a little hard. The service advisor took a brief test drive and said - let's replace the clutch assembly under warranty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 (Post 833169)
Surprisingly, the same thing happened during my 30K km service. The clutch was a little hard. The service advisor took a brief test drive and said - let's replace the clutch assembly under warranty!

Hmmm, gets me to think, is there a problem that TM have discovered with the clutch assembly of the old Dicor Safari. Otherwise, TASS will never replace the clutch assembly just because the customer complains that the clutch is a little hard!!

Probably, TM is not so naive that their A.S.S. replaces something already working and they will accept it under the warranty.

Unless the A.S.S. already has some directive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumitB (Post 833201)
Hmmm, gets me to think, is there a problem that TM have discovered with the clutch assembly of the old Dicor Safari. Otherwise, TASS will never replace the clutch assembly just because the customer complains that the clutch is a little hard!!

there are also few other people on this forum who has the DICOR clutch changed within 20K kms

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 833326)
there are also few other people on this forum who has the DICOR clutch changed within 20K kms

yes thats me.. @ approx 1050 kms on the 3rd day after delivery!!
Both clutch & pressure plate were replaced!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 833395)
yes thats me.. @ approx 1050 kms on the 3rd day after delivery!!
Both clutch & pressure plate were replaced!

Thats something new for me.
I bought me 2.2 in nov07. Should i too inquire about the changing of the clutch & pressure plates for my beast

Quote:

Originally Posted by harjeev (Post 833970)
Thats something new for me.
I bought me 2.2 in nov07. Should i too inquire about the changing of the clutch & pressure plates for my beast

It seems that you only need to complain that your clutch feels a little hard and going by the example of Suman and Jay, they should change your clutch assembly too. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 831684)
How much thread left in the tires?;)

Well, quite a bit of tread left - showed it to Atul (BK) the other day & he just dismissed it with a wave of his hand. So, good for a few k kms more I suppose.
Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 832008)
@Suman..... Fuel Filter for 21xx Rs, isnt that expensive!

Yes, the full fuel filter assembly, its changed every 30k kms which is why this service is expensive

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumitB (Post 833201)

I doubt it - the vehicle is over a year & a half old. Its one hell of an effort for them to service the master & slave cylinder so they prefer to take the easy way out whenever someone cribs - take off the entire unit & replace

The Beast has crossed the 40k kms mark a while back. So what's been happening since the last update? Well, quite a bit actually, including (finally!) a workshop change!

The following items were changed during the 35k kms service at Dhingra Motors -The following items were changed at 37k kms due to non-availability during the 35k kms service at Dhingra Motors -The following irritating noise could not be fixed by Dhingra despite three attempts (at 35k, 37k & 39k kms) - after the car ran about 20-25 kms, a "wonk-wonk-wonk" noise could be heard from the rear (centre?) when I took a left or right turn (could hear it clearly at slow speeds, but may have been masked at higher speeds) or even when I went round a roundabout or something. This was initially diagnosed as a hand brake cable issue but when it persisted, they said it may be the brake linings but when I complained even after the linings were changed, they didn't know what to do next! Then they said that there was no noise! But I could hear it clearly, LOL so that's when my quest for another workshop started. I've described that elsewhere (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...5-gurgaon.html).

Just over the 40k kms mark, I took it to Tyres Shoppe in Noida for wheel alignment & balancing (could feel vibrations at high speed); it was a timely visit & the front tyres were showing signs of slight wear (Dhingra's had probably not done their last free alignment diligently) so they were cross-rotated. The rear ones (which are now in front) look good for at least another 10-15k kms, lets see. Overall, I was quite happy with Tyres Shoppe - checked out the vehicle on the expressway the next morning & the steering wheel was dead straight & vibration free (went up to 140 kmph & then eased off).

The Beast then had its 40k kms service at Autolinks - this is a major service, especially for a 4x4, involving gear & axle (front & rear) oil changes apart from the engine oil & filter change. The work was done quite satisfactorily by Autolinks & a couple of days later, they also fixed the noise which Dhingra had failed to identify correctly. It was related to the clutches in the Limited Slip Differential (covered under extended warranty, of course). It was an amazing diagnosis by the General Manager of the workshop - he was spot on, the minute I described it over the phone, without even having heard it for himselfclap:!

The Beast is back to its usual self post the workshop visit & has just been given a nice shampooing over the weekend. Gleaming & ready for further mud to be thrown at it. Next month, the vehicle would have completed 2 years with us & as a family, I think all of us have enjoyed the ride immensely. The kids are particularly euphoric about their kingdom in the middle row with miles of space, so to speak. We're really looking forward to our Leh trip which is tentatively planned for next year May/June - that's when the off-roading limits will be put to the ultimate test.

So that's all folks, till the next update, leaving you with a few pics, hope you enjoy them -

Hi Suman

Your safari looks as good as new.Gr8 upkeep.

Was it only Brake pads change or was it both Brake pads + shoes ?

And was it the first change(as mine dont last more than 15k) ?

Also can you please update the thread with itemised billing of the 40k service.

And how much Tyre Shoppe charge for Alignment Balancing,you have mentioned in some other thread that they were costly.

but i believe when you came from Gurgaon to Noida,it should be well justified.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 (Post 980721)
Hi Suman

Your safari looks as good as new.Gr8 upkeep.

Thanks Sandeep:)
Quote:

Was it only Brake pads change or was it both Brake pads + shoes ?

And was it the first change(as mine dont last more than 15k) ?

Only the pads were changed. The shoes had been changed at 25k kms along with the rear drums (under warranty). My pads were last changed at 15k kms (under warranty).
Quote:

Also can you please update the thread with itemised billing of the 40k service.

Will do that, invoice is at home, the total was Rs 5169 including labour.
Quote:

And how much Tyre Shoppe charge for Alignment Balancing,you have mentioned in some other thread that they were costly.

but i believe when you came from Gurgaon to Noida,it should be well justified.

I have updated that thread, check post # 7. My Office is now at Jasola so that's just 12 kms from Tyres Shoppe;)

Suman,

A beautiful looking vehicle! You have maintained it very well over the last 2 years!

So what is the average that you spend on a service? Do you mind sharing the cost of each of the *regular* services done so far?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 980764)
Suman,

A beautiful looking vehicle! You have maintained it very well over the last 2 years!

So what is the average that you spend on a service? Do you mind sharing the cost of each of the *regular* services done so far?

Thanks mate. IIRC, the cost of the 30k service is there on this thread itself, I'll let you know the 20k one. Generally speaking, every 10k kms, the engine oil & oil filter gets changed, every 20k, the gearbox & axle oils, in between, every 5k, its the general top-up scenario. Also, once you run out of free services, the labour charge kicks in (around Rs 750 but you can beat them down with a "loyal customer" discount!)

Of course, this being a 3 litre, the service intervals are different from the 2.2s.