Team-BHP - Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/18313-tata-safari-dicor-3-0l-vx-4x4-lehd-105k-kms-up-auf-wiedersehen-18.html)

hwy suman,
please pm me the address and number of the guy whom you got the nautilus from. I have been searching for this a long time and haven't been able to get my hands on one.

hey suman,

nice thread man...

just a quick heads up on where autolinks is. i'm upto my eyeballs with the nonsense that pahwa motors and vivek have gotten upto with me and the safari.

and any help in terms of contacts would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harjeev (Post 1102773)
hwy suman,
please pm me the address and number of the guy whom you got the nautilus from. I have been searching for this a long time and haven't been able to get my hands on one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet (Post 1102806)
hey suman,

nice thread man...

just a quick heads up on where autolinks is. i'm upto my eyeballs with the nonsense that pahwa motors and vivek have gotten upto with me and the safari.

and any help in terms of contacts would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Gentlemen, have PMed you........cheers:

The Beast crossed 50,000 kms this morning, somewhere on the expressway, after 27 months of ownership. Need to get the 50k kms servicing done soon. There's some stuff that needs to be attended to - shockers, air cleaner element etc.

Of late, I've stopped my earlier habit of redlining 24x7 & its paid me dividends as far as the FE is concerned. The last couple of tankfuls, The Beast has been returning 10.5 kmpl & 10.75 kmpl. The weather has also contributed to it but I think being light footed has definitely helped.

Other updates -

Cam sensor was changed during our Corbett trip (end Dec-begin Jan). We were lucky we were not going anywhere on that day else would have been delayed by at least 3 to 4 hours. Had parked vehicle outside the resort in the morning & was taking it back in, later on in the day when it started once, stopped & then refused to start up again. Checked out the starter fuse, it was fine. Sounded like a cam sensor issue to me (healthy cranking, no other warning lights but not starting up). Called up Autolinks GM in Gurgaon, and the possibilities were -Anyway, I was given strict instructions NOT to allow any local guy to touch the car (most of them would be Gypsy experts anyway). GM called up his friend in the TML Regional Office in Lucknow, friend called me up & told me that a couple of dealers would contact me in the next 15 minutes. As promised, received calls from Haldwani & Rudrapur & decided to go with Balaji Autolinks, Rudrapur. Though they were further away (approx 100 kms), they had a laptop whereas the other one had the diagnostics machine only at the workshop.

The Helpline from Rudrapur came in a well equipped Sumo (very well stocked with tools & spares) & I must confess I was quite impressed with the expertise of the main guy (there were 4 of them), one Mr Nandu. He was of the opinion that it was either an issue with the fuel or it was the cam sensor. Very systematic. Checked out the fuel first & then replaced the Cam sensor. First half crank & the bloody thing started. A less than 10 minute affair but an unavoidable visit since it was not a DIY:Frustrati!!!

Other than this, met up GD's contact Mr Deepak Kataria of Star Wheels in Sector 14, Gurgaon & got my wheel alignment & balancing done after the Corbett trip. Was impressed by his knowledge of tyres & the quality of service at his shop. After inspecting the tyres, he assured me that the front ones were good for another 10-15k kms & the rear ones for another 5-7.5k kms. So, can push back that tyre change for another 3-4 months now:D.

More updates after the service is completed.............

Got the Beast serviced last weekend. Apart from the oil & filter change, the coolant was changed for the first time (part of the service schedule at 50k kms). The red band on the air filter was reappearing frequently so decided to get the air cleaner element changed. Front Brake pads were showing signs of wear so those were replaced as well. Overall it was quite an expensive service this time around, cost me 7.5k.

New Year gift of Mytone Grace car freshener did ease the pain of a light pocket somewhat:D

Congratulations Suman - great feeling isn't it when the truck crossed 50K?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1147736)
Congratulations Suman - great feeling isn't it when the truck crossed 50K?

Thanks Hrishi, yes it felt good cheers:

Yalla - the last one year has brought the two of you closer to me in mileage.

Cant wait to get back into my truck and start racking up those miles again.

7.5k is okay for a 50k service, Suman. Havent they changed transmission fluids, et al or was that done at 40?

Ya, you were way ahead I remember.......
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 1147812)
Havent they changed transmission fluids, et al or was that done at 40?

That was done at 40k. It was actually the Brake pads (1.7k) & the coolant (1.3k) which pushed the cost up this time.

Congratulations Suman! The truck has definitely made you (diesel) vehicle-wise in all these months of your ownership...

Well, I am expecting my Safari Ex Vtt 4.4 (Pearl White) somewhere between the 12th-15th Feb. Booked it with Sanya Motors!

I'll get in touch with U very soon - somehow, I am having problems PMing people on team-BHP ony office internet. However, I've received your number and shall speak to you soon...:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by asejwal (Post 1147835)
Well, I am expecting my Safari Ex Vtt 4.4 (Pearl White) somewhere between the 12th-15th Feb. Booked it with Sanya Motors!

Congrats Arunclap:, speak to you soon! Hope you did the rounds of all & booked with the guys who gave you the maximum discounts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 1147850)
Congrats Arunclap:, speak to you soon! Hope you did the rounds of all & booked with the guys who gave you the maximum discounts!

Thanx Suman...The guy is offering me a discount of 15k on a new 2009 model. All others are acting very pricey - no discounts/freebies, waiting (procurement) period being about a month. Any discounts being offered are on 2008 4x2 models which need to be 'cleared' ASAP.

The Sanya guy is offering me the vehicle for an on-road price of 10.40 and says he'll deliver by 12th Feb. I'm keeping my fingers crossed - I hope he keeps his word!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by asejwal (Post 1147866)
The Sanya guy is offering me the vehicle for an on-road price of 10.40 and says he'll deliver by 12th Feb. I'm keeping my fingers crossed - I hope he keeps his word!!!

Good luck & make sure its a current 2009 model (the VIN will tell you which month it is).

Had been meaning to get the shockers changed. The Beast had become a bit irritable of late (and less benevolent to middle row occupants) if I took speed breakers flat out - let out a groan occasionally & bounce in disapproval so to speak :p. So decided that enough was enough - left it at Autolinks on Monday & asked them to check it out. A close inspection revealed that suspension bushes & shockers needed replacement so decided to go for it. Cost me close to 6.5k - 4.5k for bushes & shockers & 2k for labour (including external lathe charges of close to 1k for the bushes).

The spacers trick on the diff didn't seem to be working long-term (had been cautioned about this by the GM when the job was done last December) & the occasional "klunk" noise had resurfaced. So they decided to call in Dana Spicer who in turn recommended replacement of clutches, pinions etc etc - all that was done under extended warranty, except for 0.5k worth of diff oil which I paid for.

The Beast was delivered home last evening - has stopped groaning & bouncing after the rear shocker & bush change & no "klunk" noises so far. I wanted the front shockers replaced as well but they told me to push those for another 2k kms or so - will get them done at the 55k kms service which is coming up soon.

A Corbett trip is coming up next weekend so next on the agenda - new footwearclap:, hopefully this weekend. Will keep you posted. A few pics of the rear (not very good ones though, I'm afraid) with the Tbhp stickers -
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-010.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-011.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-012.jpg.

The Beast marches on!

Congrats Suman, on your half century.

Good to see your beast faithful to you at all times.

Wish you many more miles and smiles :)