Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 00:10   #211
Senior - BHPian

This could be off-topic but I just read that our Honda Civic is actually an Acura CSX in Canada.
2.0 Ltr, 155 Hp, 17 inch alloys, Bi-Xenons and Voice activated Navigation come standard...!

CSX
Old 17th October 2008, 10:02   #212
Senior - BHPian

Yep, old news.

The Acura CSX became the JDM Civic which became the Indian Civic.
Old 19th October 2008, 14:10   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
My Civic-Auto has done 28K. Two of my OEM tyres, GoodYear Eagle NCT5 are bald. I have short-listed two: 1) Michelin MXV8 OEM size 195/65 R15, 2) Michelin PP2 205/60 R15. My brain wants MXV8 but my heart wants PP2! I want to keep my stock alloys, so only 15 inches is my choice.

any ideas to clear my confusion?
Bald in only 28K can you elaborate this? have you rotated your tyres in proper interval, n have you used 5th tyre while rotation, becasue IMHO 28K is very less it should at least last for 40+. Experts please commnet if yhis is the case with civic only?
Old 20th October 2008, 13:17   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
Bald in only 28K can you elaborate this? have you rotated your tyres in proper interval, n have you used 5th tyre while rotation, becasue IMHO 28K is very less it should at least last for 40+. Experts please commnet if yhis is the case with civic only?
unfortunately yes, Goodyear NCT5 lasted only 28.5K, my OHC nine years back gave me 47K on oem tyres. Maybe latest technology tyres last little but gives more grip and safety?
Old 20th October 2008, 14:01   #215

Hi all!

Read the topic through and through today and want to say a bit about my Civic AT Jan 2008/7880 km. Firstly, I read about guys being worried over the Auto Hydraulic Power Steering!! Guys this is good news as the PS we have in our car is very sensitive to the speed you are driving on and becomes more and more stiff as u pump up the speed thus not allowing you to flick it with a slight mistake and fly to hell at high speeds. In only electronic PS you only get the ease of moving the steering even with tongue but the feel of the road goes and for a car loving person that's a big sacrifice! Especially in a car you would pump all the time.
Secondly I also felt that "THAAAKKK" of the sound form my car when you move it after 2 days or more. I think that is probably for the reasons that the brakes keep kissing the pads for long and when yuo move it the tear of sepration which makes the sound. Hope this is not going to cost us anything!!
Old 20th October 2008, 15:00   #216
Senior - BHPian

I get the sound on my Civic as well. It disappears as soon as you get moving.

Having fun with the car at the moment. I'll be posting a detailed ownership thread once the first service is over.
Old 20th October 2008, 19:14   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonaljain71 View Post
Secondly I also felt that "THAAAKKK" of the sound form my car when you move it after 2 days or more. !!
The THAAAK sound for me is very day in the morning when I move my car. I noticed it carefully and it doesnt come when the car moves but the moment when I rotate the steering wheel while reversing.

Got used to it now.
Old 20th October 2008, 23:21   #218
BHPian

thakk sound in my case is always there whenever i move steering in any direction just after starting.
I had discussed this with showroom people but they could not resolve it.
Other than this there is no sound in car it is very quite.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:43   #219
Senior - BHPian

Completed 20K on Civic 1.8S MT. Nothing unusual till now. Once had a noise at low rpms, Honda engineers who came from Chennai to train the service engineers had a thorough look and identified it to be a the PS belt, and changed it. This was covered under warranty.

Suspensions though soft, nothing much of a concern till now - probably because I am used to it by now.

Tak noise after and over night parking, yes it was there and my service engineers told me it is mainly due to parking brakes. From then its not a concern,

After long parking, say 2days plus, I get a noise, this is mostly the brakes getting adjusted after its long sleep. Not much of a concern as it goes off.

Low rpm issues not a major set back, I attribute this mainly to our driving style. I have got irritated sometimes, but now I know her better, and she reacts to my needs.

Some rattles from the seatbelt holders are coming now. Probably a tightening of the same should fix it.

Tyres, I see that half the threads are still remaining. Hopefully it seems that it can do another 20+. It is the stock Goodyear NCT5.

Mileage around 10+ in city and nearly 12 on highways. On highways I do not look at rpms, hence the result.

Overall satisfying and pleasant experience. A point to be noted is the very low cost of maintenance -paid 4700k on services and consumables till 15K.

Regarding Power steering, world over due to FE and Environmental issues EPS is getting favoured as it eliminates the need of having an additional pump for the hydraulic pressure built up, and hence less strain on the engine, more FE. But I like the HPS in Civic than the uninteresting EPS in my Swift.

Last edited by laluks : 28th October 2008 at 18:52.
Old 29th October 2008, 16:16   #220
Senior - BHPian

Good review Laluks....

Low servicing costs also took me by surprise, i was expecting it to be higher for a car in this segment
Old 5th November 2008, 00:09   #221
BHPian

Steering wheel vibrates when braking

My Civic AT has done 30K in around 1.5 years. When I brake hard, the steering wheel vibrates. I think that it might be due to balancing of the wheels. But then in normal running there is no vibration, only when braking. Maybe it is because of wheel-alignment problems, but I do not want to do it unless I am sure that it will cure. No one from Honda service were able to give me a proper answer. Any ideas anyone?

Since brakes are related to safety, I am worried.
Old 5th November 2008, 08:02   #222
Senior - BHPian

I'm guessing there is something wrong with one of the rotors. If one is chipped or something like that, it would vibrate under breaking and that that would travel to the steering. Get the brake system on both the front wheels checked out thoroughly.
Old 10th November 2008, 11:39   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
My Civic AT has done 30K in around 1.5 years. When I brake hard, the steering wheel vibrates. I think that it might be due to balancing of the wheels. But then in normal running there is no vibration, only when braking. Maybe it is because of wheel-alignment problems, but I do not want to do it unless I am sure that it will cure. No one from Honda service were able to give me a proper answer. Any ideas anyone?

Since brakes are related to safety, I am worried.
If it is a problem of wheel balancing then it will come on high speed also.
If vibration is coming only in case of hard breaking then I think ABS is kicking in and this can be one of the reason.
Try doing this 2-3 times and see if this is happening only in case of sudden and hard breaking, if it is so then this is sure case of ABS.
Old 10th November 2008, 14:28   #224
Senior - BHPian

That is the ABS kicking in. You will feel the vibrations in the brake pedal and a little bit on the steering as well. The feeling is as if somebody is grinding their teeth. :-)
Old 1st December 2008, 10:56   #225
Senior - BHPian

OBD analysis on Civic 1.8

Hmmm, so now that Civic has been there for some time, I thought it's time to understand the car's engine management better. For this I bought an OBD interface and thought of playing around with it.
Not that I know too much about engines, sensors, etc but still with BHPians it would not be too hard to figure all out.

While figuring OBD and what to do with it, will be discussed in the OBD thread, CIVIC specific readings I will post here

Posting below a simple out of box Fuel Economy Analysis I did today on my way to office...
Attached Thumbnails
12000 km ownership report Civic 1.8S-fea-homeoffice-11208.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks