Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 14:12   #226
Senior - BHPian

Just to clarify, (some PMs I received) that fuel is expensive in Bangalore compared to other parts of the country and hence I have entered Rs. 57 per liter as petrol cost (for trip cost computation).

Also when I posted my initial (tank to tank) fuel consumption report, some Corolla owners were scoffing at me. So this comes out as a first validation of my FE experience with City usage, AC and music system playing, Monday morning sober driving

Last edited by ST7677 : 1st December 2008 at 14:22.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:59   #227
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of getting a ScanGuageII myself. A fellow BHPian had one for sale a while ago, but he was asking for the full list price in dollars (this was when the dollar was touching 50 while he bought it a while ago at a much cheaper conversion rate). Didn't exactly want to participate in that neat little trick.

I'm having a tough time keeping track of mileage because of the unreliable fuel guage - it gets really finicky once it hits 3 dots - the E indicator comes on at different levels at each fill up and this leads to wildly different fuel efficiencies when calculated between small top ups.

So far my best runs using tankful to tankful were :

13.xx for a tankful of highway running and 11.xx for a tankful of city driving. 100% AC.

Ignore the Corolla users - let them eat VTEC!

Looking forward to your next update!

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 1st December 2008 at 22:00.
Old 2nd December 2008, 00:31   #228
Senior - BHPian

Dots are not too reliable, especially the first few and the last few ones!
I use always use full tank method - i.e. I let the tank get empty (when 1 dot is left and light is on) and then fill up the tank till it auto shuts off from the same pump every time. It takes about 40 ltrs +/- 1 ltr every time. And every time I fuel I reset the trip meter.

So distance covered since last reset over amount of fuel taken to refill the tank, gives very accurate FE.
And now I also have the OBD...

My car has done about 18k km by now and FE has slowly improved over period of time.
Now I consistently get 10+ full tank average with normal to fast city driving.

I guess if I do ecodriving then with help of OBD I should be able to do much better While I am not really so FE conscious, with OBD I am getting tempted to take some hypermiling exercises...
Old 2nd December 2008, 01:36   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Dots are not too reliable, especially the first few and the last few ones!
I use always use full tank method - i.e. I let the tank get empty (when 1 dot is left and light is on) and then fill up the tank till it auto shuts off from the same pump every time. It takes about 40 ltrs +/- 1 ltr every time. And every time I fuel I reset the trip meter.
So you too get about 40 ltrs in when the tank is empty? Wonder how big the reserve is as the tank capacity should be 50 ltrs.
Old 2nd December 2008, 08:27   #230
Senior - BHPian

The reserve is 7.5L, with an additional panic reserve which is not disclosed by Honda. "Even when the fuel guage shows empty, there will still be some petrol left in the tank." to quote the manual.
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:09   #231
Senior - BHPian

I have once driven 70Km after all the bars disappeared, and still when i tanked up to the brim(not auto cut off) it still was only 45+, but never 50. So dont know really. But i also do agree on the personal experience of 40ish when all the bars disappera.

ST7677 - which software was that from which you attached that picture?
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:38   #232
BHPian

I have driven 86 km's after the reserve light turning on and then filled 48.XX liters. The FE I am getting is 11 in Bangalore city drive with AC on for 50% time.
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:05   #233
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
(when 1 dot is left and light is on) and then fill up the tank till it auto shuts off from the same pump every time. It takes about 40 ltrs +/- 1 ltr every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
"Even when the fuel guage shows empty, there will still be some petrol left in the tank." to quote the manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I have once driven 70Km after all the bars disappeared,
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
I have driven 86 km's after the reserve light turning on and then filled 48.XX liters.
All you above, please be aware that the lower the fuel in the tank, more is the chance of any sediments in the tank to get to the fuel line and that is torture for the fuel filter.

Moreover, modern fuel pumps are in the fuel tank and need a certain amount of petrol to pump efficiently as well as to keep them cool and lubricated.

Don't wait for the petrol to get so low.

And welcome to the world of non linear fuel guages.
Old 2nd December 2008, 18:25   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven 86 km's after the reserve light turning on and then filled 48.XX liters.
It would be an absolute hazard to drive with such low fuel. You could kill your fuel pump any time.

Considering the fuel capacity of 50 ltrs, I guess there is 12-13 ltrs fuel when the light comes up (and about 8-9 ltrs when all dots disappear). However for the reasons rightly mentioned by TRRK, one should never drive around without any fuel dots.

Quote:
ST7677 - which software was that from which you attached that picture?
It's Proscan.
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:45   #235
BHPian

Quote:
It would be an absolute hazard to drive with such low fuel. You could kill your fuel pump any time.

Considering the fuel capacity of 50 ltrs, I guess there is 12-13 ltrs fuel when the light comes up (and about 8-9 ltrs when all dots disappear). However for the reasons rightly mentioned by TRRK, one should never drive around without any fuel dots.
with ST7677, The car was going for service next day and didn't want to tank up before it. The last some km's I was really sacred whether the car is going to stop.
In my friends Optra Magnum once the car stopped because of low fuel and turbo charger didn't work for next few days and later on it got corrected automatically. Service guys advised a min of 10 Litre fuel all the time.
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:00   #236
Senior - BHPian

Diesels require a full fuel system purge if they ever run out of fuel - it is a very frustrating process which wastes a lot of fuel. You simply cannot buy a jerry can full of diesel from the nearest pump and continue on - you'll have to get the car towed to a service center.
Old 4th December 2008, 11:07   #237
BHPian

Civic - Steering Hold position

Folks,

I have problems in holding my Civic steering comfortably for longer times. Don't think all of us would religiously follow a 10*L 3*R clock recommended position. Personally, I would like to hold my steering mostly with one right hand during long drives at 12*to 1* clock. However, Civic steering has a soft finish at that position(for specific reasons, I guess)

May be I am spoiled because of the previous years my Ikon. The Ikon sport steering is just big enough to sit tight on your palm.

I am thinking of a Stanley accessory for a better grip.

Any suggestions. Greatly appreciate !

Thanks
Old 4th December 2008, 15:18   #238
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I have no problems holding the steering at 1'o clock during long drives. Of course, with all the twisty roads in Kerala, one never really has to hold his steering still for more than a minute or two. An interesting factor could be that I have rough palms thanks to a lot of cycling in my younger days. This might help my grip
Old 5th December 2008, 14:30   #239
BHPian

Unbelievable FE figure

Folks,

Just got my car back from 10k service and tanked up , the service was done after a long trip to and back to my native place and some small running around in the city.

The trip meter stood at 652 Km and it took in 39.07 l with auto cut off, which means a scarcely believable FE figure of 16.68 kmpl.

I am sure I did not fill any fuel in between since I was out of the country for a couple of months after the trip and before the service and I always make sure to get a receipt.

Anybody got similar figures ?

bye
Old 5th December 2008, 18:06   #240
Senior - BHPian

Most likely this would be some calculation error, though very much possible if you were doing a light footed long distance running and did not meet any major traffic obstructions.

My OBD shows that avg FE on cruise is as good as 16-20 kmpl. So if one can extend this over a long distance than overall 15/16+ on highway is very much possible.

The other day my avg FE from Electronic City to Bommanhalli Junction was close to 14, I thought it can't be true but by the time I crossed silk board and BTM traffic it had come down to 10, which is what I get in the city, so you see.... Road situation matters a lot.

Last edited by ST7677 : 5th December 2008 at 18:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks