Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2016, 00:20   #2971
BANNED

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Here's the 20K bill for my Swift's service. Do check if the figures are similar?
They have done wheel alignment and balancing.
I remember the service kit was 2000 INR. Oil was around 2350 INR.

I had another Swift VDi before this from 2010. sold it last week.(Old customer-thats why i managed that 10% off on labor) so the service cost was almost same for that also.
I dont know why MSIL cant control these costs were the others are much lower. Now VW looks descent in-front of MSIL. at-least their service intervals are high.
Old 27th June 2016, 00:38   #2972
BANNED

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysak View Post
They have done wheel alignment and balancing.
I remember the service kit was 2000 INR. Oil was around 2350 INR.
Ah there you go. Wheel Alignment, Balancing and Rotation add up to almost 1000 bucks in the bill if done at MASS.

Oil seems to be 780 per litre surprised to see the pricing as I have been charged 560 per litre for synthetic oil (MGDO - Mobil Super 5W40).
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 20:42   #2973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ok, now you can check few more things 1) if brakes are sticking 2) if air filters are dirty and 3) any obvious leaks, especially at the fuel filter end. These should rule out the obvious culprits. Still 5 kmpl drop seems quite high.
Took a fair bit of time to get back to this one, have been travelling a lot. In the last 2 months have got the following things done:

1. Got the brakes serviced
2. EGR cleaned
3. All injectors cleaned
4. Clutch plate changed (leaking slave cylinder)
5. One wheel bearing changed (loud whining noise)
6. 130K services done (including oil change)

FE is still hovering around 11. Now am unsure what else can be done, or optionally I'm doing wrong. Does engine decarb or similar help in these cases or is it a sure path to engine damage?
Old 27th June 2016, 21:48   #2974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Does engine decarb or similar help in these cases or is it a sure path to engine damage?
Don't bother if you are doing a decarb using those machines, not very useful. And dismantling and decarb at 1.3 lakhs does not makes sense.

Want to rule out few things, what size tyres are you running on the car?

How is the oil consumption of your car?
Old 28th June 2016, 09:26   #2975
BHPian

What is this Service Kit? This I have seen appearing in my Service bill only in the last 2 services. I have never seen them before. Have not asked the SA also :(
Old 28th June 2016, 09:35   #2976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
What is this Service Kit?
Service kit includes:

1. Oil Filter
2. Air Filter
3. Fuel Filter
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 10:09   #2977
BHPian

Quote:

Want to rule out few things, what size tyres are you running on the car?

How is the oil consumption of your car?
Size is 185, have been using similar Bridgestone Potenza tires since 2010. Currently on the second set of Potenzas (2yrs/20k old). Average was 18.5 kmpl on these tires in Delhi, dropped to 14.5 kmpl in Mumbai (presumably heavier traffic).

Oil consumption is regular doesn't drop alarmingly between services (10K), no white smoke either.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 10:13   #2978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Size is 185, have been using similar Bridgestone Potenza tires since 2010.
====
Oil consumption is regular doesn't drop alarmingly between services (10K), no white smoke either.
Ok now that is ruled out, how about trying different fuel station and a tank full to say 100 kms and again fill up? If you have not done that.

14-15 kmpl inside a city like mumbai under normal driving is correct.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 10:47   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Ok now that is ruled out, how about trying different fuel station and a tank full to say 100 kms and again fill up? If you have not done that.
Many thanks for the advice, will do that as well. The only reachable COCO filling station is near my office, so need to drive the car around for a couple of days to achieve this. Tough call as the wife prefers the swift as her daily drive.
Old 28th June 2016, 11:07   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took a fair bit of time to get back to this one, have been travelling a lot. In the last 2 months have got the following things done:

1. Got the brakes serviced
2. EGR cleaned
3. All injectors cleaned
4. Clutch plate changed (leaking slave cylinder)
5. One wheel bearing changed (loud whining noise)
6. 130K services done (including oil change)

FE is still hovering around 11. Now am unsure what else can be done, or optionally I'm doing wrong. Does engine decarb or similar help in these cases or is it a sure path to engine damage?
No engine decarbonisation ever. Regular oil change is all it takes to keep the engine clean, although I feel sticking to 10 thousand kilometer intervals on the 15-40 Engine oil while you are driving it in Mumbai all the time is pushing it. I change my engine oil every 5 to 6 thousand kilometers. My car is at similar running as yours, 1 lakh 25 thousand km.

Was the intercooler cleaned when you cleaned the EGR ?

Do you clean the air filter every 2 to 3 thousand km ?

What air pressures do you keep in cold condition?

Post your last alignment reading please. An overly enthusiastic alignment guy setting too much of toe in can reduce mileage too.
Old 28th June 2016, 11:24   #2981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Was the intercooler cleaned when you cleaned the EGR ?

Do you clean the air filter every 2 to 3 thousand km ?

What air pressures do you keep in cold condition?

Post your last alignment reading please.
- Intercooler was cleaned along with the EGR.
- I do dust out the air filter every 3-4k Kms, not using pressurized air though.
- Tire pressure is 36psi front and 33psi rear.
- Will post the alignment report as soon as i lay my hands on it.
Old 9th August 2016, 10:32   #2982
BHPian

Average update: The regular daily commute is ~12kmpl and throwing in a couple of early morning SoBo runs on a weekend bumps it up to 15kmpl. Not completely happy yet, but can be better.

Last edited by varunsangal : 9th August 2016 at 10:34.
Old 4th September 2017, 21:52   #2983
BHPian

Battery was replaced last month, today battery light lit while driving, Slowed the car down, AC stopped cooling and Temp gauge shot up towards max. I let the car cool down, drove back home. What could have led to this? Alternator?
Old 4th September 2017, 22:03   #2984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Battery was replaced last month, today battery light lit while driving, Slowed the car down, AC stopped cooling and Temp gauge shot up towards max. I let the car cool down, drove back home. What could have led to this? Alternator?
Most probably your accessory belt snapped/came off.

AC stopped cooling -> AC compressor isnt running
battery light lit -> Alternator isnt running
Temp gauge shot up towards max -> water pump isnt running

Classic symptoms of multiple failures together points to the belt coming off. Replace it with a new one along with the tensioner and you're all set.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 4th September 2017 at 22:06.
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 22:08   #2985
BHPian

Yes that's correct. All lights came 15 days ago while I was driving and heard than sounds from engine. It was belt. Belt, tensioner and labour cost 2800 total.
nisarg86 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks