Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 23:42   #2881
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Firstly, 80-90W is the wrong gearbox oil grade for the simple reason, its a tad too thick and during morning starts or first starts of the day, it will cause hard shifting for first some kilometers which can be detrimental for the synchronizer. The MASS which fills this grade of oil should be immediately reported to Maruti.

This situation will be extremely painful when the winters start. If your daily running starts with a traffic jam right outside your house, be prepared to stop the car for the gear to slot into 1st gear, otherwise it just won't go. Change the gearbox oil immediately and let the oil drain for 10 to 15 minutes before you refill the new one with the right grade that is 75-90.

Secondly, the sound you are hearing with the clutch pedal release is normal sound from the gearbox. It's all right and present in all Swift Diesel. Nothing to worry, it has got nothing to do with circulation problem etc etc.

Enjoy your car !
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 00:05   #2882
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Clutch or associated parts it is then. While stationary how would any other parts like gear wheels move inside the box? I feel its release bearing or associated parts.
Well, opinions could differ. I had also checked with MASS once and they too said its gearbox.

Since this happens when the clutch pedal is not touched (i.e. clutch is engaged) the clutch release bearing completely sits idle (not even rotating) and the clutch itself it tightly set against the pressure plate. Therefore, there should be limited possibilities for the clutch and related parts to rattle. On the other hand, while the clutch is engaged, the torque is being transferred to the gearbox and there are significant parts moving, only that no gear is engaged for transferring the torque to the drive shaft(s).

Quote:
Quite common in many maruti cars
I agree with that part , both my WagonR and Ritz keep doing this once in a while and it was very frequent on the erstwhile 5 speed 800.

Last edited by SLK : 29th October 2014 at 00:08.
Old 29th October 2014, 10:38   #2883
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Well, opinions could differ. I had also checked with MASS once and they too said its gearbox.
Most of them give a theory that one would buy and keep you off their backs.

Quote:
Since this happens when the clutch pedal is not touched (i.e. clutch is engaged) the clutch release bearing completely sits idle (not even rotating) and the clutch itself it tightly set against the pressure plate. Therefore, there should be limited possibilities for the clutch and related parts to rattle. On the other hand, while the clutch is engaged, the torque is being transferred to the gearbox and there are significant parts moving, only that no gear is engaged for transferring the torque to the drive shaft(s).
Yes but its not the turning rather the vibration that is causing the rattle, my understanding.

Quote:
I agree with that part , both my WagonR and Ritz keep doing this once in a while and it was very frequent on the erstwhile 5 speed 800.
I had the same issues in two vehicles, which was set right after a clutch overhaul (old zen and recently the gypsy). Hence i am going with that theory, and the mass was very clear it was release bearing noise and had asked me to ignore it till it is time for a clutch overhaul.
Old 2nd November 2014, 07:03   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Snowie has been running around without much care for the last few months, neglect was showing up in the cars behavior.
=========Need to do the alignment and balancing done this weekend and then fix an appointment for 3M detailing.
Hi Jaggu and Swift owners,
Can write something about gear rollover sound? I have changed back to 75w90 Total Gear oil and the sound is gone. Slightly more sound in the coldest hours of the morning. Rest of the day, the car is very silent and gear shifts have become very smooth. My landlord owns a old model swift Dzire Diesel. The car is mostly driven by many drivers. No proper maintenance of the car. They use TOTAL 3000 15w40 in their car that is basically a petrol engine oil. I have never seen their drivers warm up the car in the morning. Instead they rev it hard. They tell me to do the same. Now since the past month they have been facing the following problems-

1. Huge amounts of black smoke when accelerating
2. The SVS light comes ON after driving for 4-5 kms.
3. When you press the accelerator the car receives the push after 100 metres or so.
4. The engine turns off by itself after driving for some time.
5. Lots of sound in the morning that makes me feel bad for the car.

Can anyone pinpoint out some reasons for such problems? I have asked them to take the car to the nearest dealer workshop but they are adamant to take it to a local garage who I know is a bad mechanic. I have seen what brands of engine oil, brake fluid they use and detest them. Still many people service their good cars there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Firstly, 80-90W is the wrong gearbox oil grade for the simple reason, its a tad too thick and during morning starts or first starts of the day, it will cause hard shifting for first some kilometers which can be detrimental for the synchronizer. The MASS which fills this grade of oil should be immediately reported to Maruti.

This situation will be extremely painful when the winters start. If your daily running starts with a traffic jam right outside your house, be prepared to stop the car for the gear to slot into 1st gear, otherwise it just won't go. Change the gearbox oil immediately and let the oil drain for 10 to 15 minutes before you refill the new one with the right grade that is 75-90.

Secondly, the sound you are hearing with the clutch pedal release is normal sound from the gearbox. It's all right and present in all Swift Diesel. Nothing to worry, it has got nothing to do with circulation problem etc etc.

Enjoy your car !
That is a VERY IMPORTANT POINT. I have suffered on account of using 80w90 gear oil in my Ritz. Let alone winter, even on summer days, the gear shift is an exercise. Who will report and who will listen? In India the customer is the most pathetic individual. As a Team if all Bhpians would come together, maybe something can be done to punish such MASSs. They had filled crap 80w90 gear oil in my car. I had to undergo a loss 0f 2000 Rs to change it again. At any MASS no one drains the oil for 10-15 mins. They only do it for 5-7 minutes maximum.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2014 at 11:40.
Old 6th November 2014, 11:45   #2885
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
1. Huge amounts of black smoke when accelerating
2. The SVS light comes ON after driving for 4-5 kms.
3. When you press the accelerator the car receives the push after 100 metres or so.
4. The engine turns off by itself after driving for some time.
5. Lots of sound in the morning that makes me feel bad for the car.
1- Might be a clogged filter, bad pump calibration
2- Need to check what is the error, connect to a scanner and read
3- Seems like this turbo or filter is clogged
4- Again hook up the scanner and see what all is wrong
5- Wrong oil, wrong heat up and so on and so forth. Nothing can be done
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 12:46   #2886
BHPian

Quote:
1- Might be a clogged filter, bad pump calibration
2- Need to check what is the error, connect to a scanner and read
3- Seems like this turbo or filter is clogged
4- Again hook up the scanner and see what all is wrong
5- Wrong oil, wrong heat up and so on and so forth. Nothing can be done
I shall tell them. Hope they pay heed to your advice. Mostly so many problems are never seen in the fiat multijet. Hope it gets resolved soon. The fiat multijet is a great vehicle but mostly spoiled by local garages.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:47   #2887
BHPian

Hi guys! My Swift-D has recently been quite a drunkard, with city mileage drop to 12-13 kmpl & highway mileage 15-16 kmpl with 4 adults on board.

My car has run ~95k kms, and MASS says it's because of the clutch which is nearing its end. Yes the clutch is weak but not enough to impact my driving, there's no clutch slip or unusual high revs. The only difference is at some places where earlier the car used to climb without any acceleration now does need some accelerator input.

So does this condition explain 3-4 kmpl drop in mileage?

Last edited by asethi : 10th November 2014 at 12:48.
Old 10th November 2014, 14:47   #2888
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Hi guys! My Swift-D has recently been quite a drunkard, with city mileage drop to 12-13 kmpl & highway mileage 15-16 kmpl with 4 adults on board.

My car has run ~95k kms, and MASS says it's because of the clutch which is nearing its end.

So does this condition explain 3-4 kmpl drop in mileage?
Hopefully the following are in good condition and clean:

1) Air filter,
2) EGR
3) fuel quality
4) Tyre condition and pressures maintained.

Anurag.
Old 10th November 2014, 14:54   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hopefully the following are in good condition and clean:

1) Air filter,
2) EGR
3) fuel quality
4) Tyre condition and pressures maintained.

Anurag.
Yes everything is in order, the car just got serviced 10 days back and the figures are after last weekend 1800 km highway drive. Detailed status of your queries as below:

1) Air filter, --> Changed during service
2) EGR --> Cleaned in previous service
3) fuel quality --> Always fill from trusted company owned pump
4) Tyre condition and pressures maintained. --> New tyres & pressure maintained
Old 10th November 2014, 15:58   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the sound coming while stationary or when moving? If it is latter definitely not oil.

I have asked for clarification, if it is while stationary or not?

Again is it while vehicle is moving or while stationary?
Jaggu da,

This is just to get your attention - my swift had a very minute leakage from the timing chain about four months back. The issue was observed because there was a handful of drops of oil on the skid plate.

The service advisor claimed to have tightened it - told me to observe oil levels and continue driving for the remaining 7000km till the next service is due. I have done about 4000km in this period, and went back to MASS (MSM and Khivraj), but they refused to do it citing unavailability of some gaskets. The oil levels have been consistent and the leakage is minute. They claimed its a 4 hour job costing 5k when the part becomes available.

I am soon leaving for a seven week international stint and will be back in Chennai only Dec 20th or so. Car will be idle in this period. My doubts are:
a. Can I come back and take the car for a 2000-2500km drive? The oil is still fine.
b. What is the worst that can happen on that drive, considering the leakage has been very minimal in these 4000km?
c. If I delay my vacation by a couple of days and get the timing chain set replaced, is there any chance of any problems? I'm worried whether they will be able to replace this important factory fit part (which doesnt normally get changed in most parts) properly. I don't even get the car serviced right before a major trip just to avoid any post-service niggles.

Thanks in advance if you made it thus far!
Old 10th November 2014, 16:56   #2891
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Yes everything is in order, the car just got serviced 10 days back and the figures are after last weekend 1800 km highway drive.
May be the clutch is taking toll on performance by the lag in response. It is just a suspicion though.

What are the Upshift and Downshift points (RPM wise) for every gear that you follow?

Anurag.
Old 10th November 2014, 17:07   #2892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Jaggu da,

This is just to get your attention - my swift had a very minute leakage from the timing chain about four months back. The issue was observed because there was a handful of drops of oil on the skid plate.

The service advisor claimed to have tightened it - told me to observe oil levels and continue driving for the remaining 7000km till the next service is due. I have done about 4000km in this period, and went back to MASS (MSM and Khivraj), but they refused to do it citing unavailability of some gaskets. The oil levels have been consistent and the leakage is minute. They claimed its a 4 hour job costing 5k when the part becomes available.

I am soon leaving for a seven week international stint and will be back in Chennai only Dec 20th or so. Car will be idle in this period. My doubts are:
a. Can I come back and take the car for a 2000-2500km drive? The oil is still fine.
b. What is the worst that can happen on that drive, considering the leakage has been very minimal in these 4000km?
c. If I delay my vacation by a couple of days and get the timing chain set replaced, is there any chance of any problems? I'm worried whether they will be able to replace this important factory fit part (which doesnt normally get changed in most parts) properly. I don't even get the car serviced right before a major trip just to avoid any post-service niggles.

Hey my timing chain cover has a tiny winy leak too on the top part. Although no oil drops fall outside but the area on top where there is a leak, there is a slight film of oil. This has been there since almost 20 thousand kilometers now. As long as the chain is not making any noise and the leak is minute, ignore it. My Swift D is at 1 lakh 4 thousand km now.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 17:10   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu da,

There is no relation to timing chain and oil leakage. Timing chain needs to be replaced in case there is noise from the same. The oil leakage may be from oil sump, drain nut, faulty turbo.
Get the car to another MASS.

In case of minute leakage you can check the oil level after 7 weeks to see if it is in the admissible levels. If required you can top up the oil and drive to MASS. However in case large level of oil loss do not attempt this, get the car towed.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 19:11   #2894
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
There is no relation to timing chain and oil leakage. Timing chain needs to be replaced in case there is noise from the same. The oil leakage may be from oil sump, drain nut, faulty turbo.

In case of minute leakage you can check the oil level after 7 weeks to see if it is in the admissible levels. If required you can top up the oil and drive to MASS. However in case large level of oil loss do not attempt this, get the car towed.
Yes to what archat has said.

How much has your car done?

a) Yes if the oil level is fine

b) Again if there is no drop in oil level why not

c) If chain is making noise, do replace. If not don't take it as priority. Oil leak if it's minor should not cause any issues on the trip.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 22:42   #2895
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Archat ji - The leakage is NOT from any of the three :|

I have been to two different MASS both of whom have agreed on the timing chain (case ?) being the culprit. At the second place, I got them to speak to a senior service advisor from Gurgaon, who seemed satisfied with their diagnosis.

Agree on your logical appro- the car doesn't have significant oil loss at all. The loss is imperceptible at the dipstick level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post

Quote:
Yes to what archat has said.

How much has your car done?

a) Yes if the oil level is fine

b) Again if there is no drop in oil level why not

c) If chain is making noise, do replace. If not don't take it as priority. Oil leak if it's minor should not cause any issues on the trip.
Okay great. In that case, I will keep driving on as humyum said (its at 117k) and get things touched during the regular 120k service only! This is a relief!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks