Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 21:45   #2866
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Are multigrade engine oils suitable for older swifts? Do they harm the engine in the long run? Some people tell me that diesel cars have become rough after 1st engine oil change. I feel that multigrade engine oils must be avoided in modern diesel engines. The best engine oil available for Swift Diesels is Castrol Magnatec 15w40. It makes the car very smooth after oil change but after 5000 kms the engine sound increases slightly. But multigrade engine oils are a travesty.
Old 26th October 2014, 10:00   #2867
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Really sorry to hear that Ankush. Don't worry these things happen and you are safe, vehicle will come back as good as new
Sir,
Please help me.
I have just serviced the ritz diesel. They have put 80w90 gear oil in the gear box. During cold starts there is a rattling sound that disappears as soon as the clutch is depressed. I am very worried about the car. I have stopped using the vehicle. The sound vanishes after the engine warms up. There is a whirring sound followed by a rattling in the morning. The rattling and whirring sounds disappear after pressing the clutch pedal. Is it due to the thicker gear oil? Or should I change the Engine oil? The sound appears to be coming from the left side of the car. Is it serious? I checked with MASS. They said that it is normal because the gear oil is thicker in the morning and takes some time to flow freely. But still I am not convinced.
Old 26th October 2014, 11:51   #2868
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Sir,
Please help me.
I have just serviced the ritz diesel.
====I checked with MASS. They said that it is normal because the gear oil is thicker in the morning and takes some time to flow freely. But still I am not convinced.
Definitely not normal, this sounds more like clutch release bearing sound. Gear oil would not cause any such news, esp in neutral and while stationary. Suggest you get it checked with another workshop.
Old 26th October 2014, 13:38   #2869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Hi, I had a similar situation. In my case it was the circlip in the gear box. The gears had come loose. This is a serious issue and could damage your car bad.
Circlip is a clip that holds the gears together on the shaft.

Please have your car checked at the earliest.

It could also be just a stone lodged between the calipers, try coasting a few meters with the clutch pressed and if there is no variation in the sound then it's the brakes.

Hope this helps
Hi All,

Update on the issue reported above.

There is a bush near the inter-cooler which was broken and it was replaced . The noise has subsided but I think there is a faint noise still present.

Anshu Rao,

Can you please PM me your swift's registration number so that the local mass can look up the work done on your car thru DMS ?
Old 26th October 2014, 14:17   #2870
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel - Engine sound

The knocking is definitely not due to lube oil and in my opinion you need to clean the injectors and see. the knock is only a result of tuning for a better fuel efficiency. There are good engine mounts that can help in reducing the audible component of knocking.
Old 26th October 2014, 16:56   #2871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please Help,

I have just serviced the ritz diesel. They have put 80w90 gear oil in the gear box. During cold starts there is a rattling sound that disappears as soon as the clutch is depressed. I am very worried about the car. I have stopped using the vehicle. The sound is there only on cold starts. After the engine warms up there is no sound.

Without hearing the actual sound its always very difficult to tell. Check if that oil is per the recommendations in your owners manaul. If not, get the. To replace immediately. But assuming they put the correct oil in, here a thought on what could be happening. it could be purely due to the oil being cold. Gearboxes tend to be more noisy whilst the oil is still cold. You get a sort of slushy, slightly squeaky sound. It happened to me years ago on one of my cars and when I investigated I found that some of the rubbers isolating the gearbox from the cabin had perished. Normally they provide a degree of sound insulation. As they had torn, the sound made it into the cabin. Replaced the rubbers and the noise was gone. Well, it was still there, but you couldn't hear it anymore.

I think you do need to get it checked out by a competent mechanic.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 18:39   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely not normal, this sounds more like clutch release bearing sound. Gear oil would not cause any such news, esp in neutral and while stationary. Suggest you get it checked with another workshop.
But Sir, the sound is very odd. There is a slight increase in rattling sound on releasing the clutch, that disappears as soon as I depress the clutch. By the time I reach the service center the sound is gone. It sounds normal. I have to keep the car overnight at the service center to make them listen to the whirring sound. I am very disappointed. It is my first new car. I am planning to change all the fluids again at the best MASS. I stand to lose around 4000 because I had just done all the fluid changes at my native place. advice me.
Old 26th October 2014, 21:09   #2873
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!! .... When the sound goes by pressing the clutch, it has nothing to do with release bearing. Circulation of gear oil (or the lack of it!) is the cause and this is a very common issue!

Quote:
But Sir, the sound is very odd. There is a slight increase in rattling sound on releasing the clutch, that disappears as soon as I depress the clutch. By the time I reach the service center the sound is gone. It sounds normal. I have to keep the car overnight at the service center to make them listen to the whirring sound. I am very disappointed. It is my first new car. I am planning to change all the fluids again at the best MASS. I stand to lose around 4000 because I had just done all the fluid changes at my native place. advice me.
This sound is known (i don't remember where this was discussed before) to be a lack of circulation of oil to the 5th gear. Once the gear box comes in use and the oil circulates, the sound goes.

I think, more than one of my cars has had this sound, but I never did anything about it and the cars never had an issue. If the noise is too much you might consider changing the gear oil, otherwise don't bother.

In my experience, many (but not all) Marutis make this noise, but how many people actually wait more than 1sec before driving off!
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 07:36   #2874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Hi!! .... When the sound goes by pressing the clutch, it has nothing to do with release bearing. Circulation of gear oil (or the lack of it!) is the cause and this is a very common issue!

This sound is known (i don't remember where this was discussed before) to be a lack of circulation of oil to the 5th gear. Once the gear box comes in use and the oil circulates, the sound goes.

I think, more than one of my cars has had this sound, but I never did anything about it and the cars never had an issue. If the noise is too much you might consider changing the gear oil, otherwise don't bother.

In my experience, many (but not all) Marutis make this noise, but how many people actually wait more than 1sec before driving off!
Exactly Sir, You have just relieved me. I am going to change the gear oil soon. Maybe it will not create any problems but in my mind there is still some turbulence. I will change to Total 75w90 this week.
Old 27th October 2014, 10:40   #2875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is the sound coming while stationary or when moving? If it is latter definitely not oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I have asked for clarification, if it is while stationary or not?

Quote:
Exactly Sir, You have just relieved me. I am going to change the gear oil soon. Maybe it will not create any problems but in my mind there is still some turbulence. I will change to Total 75w90 this week.
Again is it while vehicle is moving or while stationary?
Old 27th October 2014, 13:18   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Is the sound coming while stationary or when moving? If it is latter definitely not oil.

I have asked for clarification, if it is while stationary or not?

Again is it while vehicle is moving or while stationary?
The sound is clearly audible when the vehicle is stationary and only when the engine is cold. When I press the clutch the sound goes away. I missed your quote yesterday, so I could not clarify the details. The sound is audible in a very quiet place in the morning only. After driving the car for 10 minutes the sound goes away.
Old 27th October 2014, 14:02   #2877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The sound is clearly audible when the vehicle is stationary and only when the engine is cold. When I press the clutch the sound goes away. I missed your quote yesterday, so I could not clarify the details. The sound is audible in a very quiet place in the morning only. After driving the car for 10 minutes the sound goes away.
Clutch or associated parts it is then. While stationary how would any other parts like gear wheels move inside the box? I feel its release bearing or associated parts. Quite common in many maruti cars
Old 27th October 2014, 21:08   #2878
BHPian

Quote:
Clutch or associated parts it is then. While stationary how would any other parts like gear wheels move inside the box? I feel its release bearing or associated parts. Quite common in many maruti cars
I have removed the stereo, so the noise was audible. But still do you think 80w90 gear oil will not cause any harm to the vehicle? I am concerned because 75w90 gear oil is recommended by maruti. I feel that the Reliance brand of gear oil is not trustworthy. I am planning to change it this weekend. I have already booked a bay this weekend and I am changing over to Total 75w90. I do not want to stress myself much over the car.
Old 27th October 2014, 21:24   #2879
Team-BHP Support

Change it if it is wrong grade, but a 80w90 is thicker oil so it would muffle more any gearbox noise, yes in cold climate it would take lil longer to circulate.

In short change oil for peace of mind, but the sound i strongly doubt is something else. So get it inspected by another mech. If its minor release bearing type sound, ignore it.
Old 27th October 2014, 22:13   #2880
BHPian

Try this- Rest your leg on the clutch pedal (or depress it slightly- about 5 cms), if the noise vanishes then it is the release bearing.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks