Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2014, 23:25   #2896
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks Archat ji - The leakage is NOT from any of the three :|

I have been to two different MASS both of whom have agreed on the timing chain (case ?) being the culprit. At the second place, I got them to speak to a senior service advisor from Gurgaon, who seemed satisfied with their diagnosis.
OK.
But I still feel it hard to believe oil leak associated with timing chain. The timing chain in the Swift is installed in the pretty much similar way as shown in the photo below. It is an external part and does not comes in contact with engine oil. The timing shown in the photo is covered with a timing chain cover and some sort of gasket to prevent it to come in contact with dust, mud, grimes etc.

In case you change the timing chain in future try to be present at that time and you can see the timing chain assembly.
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=sw...l%3B768%3B1024

BTW you don't need to worry about a minor oil leakage. However, even a minor leakage if that is continues for some time should be taken care of as it is not normal.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 12:14   #2897
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
May be the clutch is taking toll on performance by the lag in response. It is just a suspicion though.

What are the Upshift and Downshift points (RPM wise) for every gear that you follow?

Anurag.
In the city driving, the upshift is around 2500rpm & downshift around 1500rpm while on the highway upshift around 3500-4000rpm & downshift 2000rpm.
Old 29th November 2014, 18:15   #2898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes to what archat has said.

How much has your car done?

a) Yes if the oil level is fine

b) Again if there is no drop in oil level why not

c) If chain is making noise, do replace. If not don't take it as priority. Oil leak if it's minor should not cause any issues on the trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
There is no relation to timing chain and oil leakage. Timing chain needs to be replaced in case there is noise from the same. The oil leakage may be from oil sump, drain nut, faulty turbo.
Get the car to another MASS.

In case of minute leakage you can check the oil level after 7 weeks to see if it is in the admissible levels. If required you can top up the oil and drive to MASS. However in case large level of oil loss do not attempt this, get the car towed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey my timing chain cover has a tiny winy leak too on the top part. Although no oil drops fall outside but the area on top where there is a leak, there is a slight film of oil. This has been there since almost 20 thousand kilometers now. As long as the chain is not making any noise and the leak is minute, ignore it. My Swift D is at 1 lakh 4 thousand km now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Jaggu da,

This is just to get your attention - my swift had a very minute leakage from the timing chain about four months back. The issue was observed because there was a handful of drops of oil on the skid plate.

The service advisor claimed to have tightened it - told me to observe oil levels and continue driving for the remaining 7000km till the next service is due. I have done about 4000km in this period, and went back to MASS (MSM and Khivraj), but they refused to do it citing unavailability of some gaskets. The oil levels have been consistent and the leakage is minute. They claimed its a 4 hour job costing 5k when the part becomes available.

I am soon leaving for a seven week international stint and will be back in Chennai only Dec 20th or so. Car will be idle in this period. My doubts are:
a. Can I come back and take the car for a 2000-2500km drive? The oil is still fine.
b. What is the worst that can happen on that drive, considering the leakage has been very minimal in these 4000km?
c. If I delay my vacation by a couple of days and get the timing chain set replaced, is there any chance of any problems? I'm worried whether they will be able to replace this important factory fit part (which doesnt normally get changed in most parts) properly. I don't even get the car serviced right before a major trip just to avoid any post-service niggles.

Thanks in advance if you made it thus far!
Hi Friends, I have been facing the same problem in my maruti 800. The head gasket seems to be leaking. Some nuts are loose too. Simple job just change the head gasket. 98% of the time the head gasket leaks. It is evident from the oil traces near the car battery and other places. Even though oil levels do not dip much the leakage problem must be addressed immediately. 2000-2500 kms trip in this condition is not at all advisable.
Old 17th December 2014, 14:43   #2899
BHPian

re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!

I own a Swift VDI+ABS which has run 1,20,000/- kilometers as of now.

Before I take the vehicle for 120K service which is scheduled for this Saturday, I'd like to know what all needs to be addressed. During last service, SA had asked me to change the Timing Chain though he could not find any sounds or symptoms (he said some circular had come whereby its mentioned to change TC@1,00,000/- kilometers). But a known person who used to work for Maruti dealer suggested not to do so as this is not applicable for old cars (mine is 2008 April Make). The current condition seems to be fine as there is not much difference in pickup or turbo and getting 20+KMPL on highways.

Lately noticed that there is White/Grey Smoke while cold starting (during mornings only).
Old 17th December 2014, 15:09   #2900
Team-BHP Support

re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!

Maybe you can write to maruti and see what they have to recommend regarding the timing chain, if your car is part of the circular or not. Then take a call.

White smoke at start might be oil in turbo circuit, when was the last you cleaned the intercooler etc?
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 16:16   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Maybe you can write to maruti and see what they have to recommend regarding the timing chain, if your car is part of the circular or not. Then take a call.

White smoke at start might be oil in turbo circuit, when was the last you cleaned the intercooler etc?
Thanks Jaggu.

Intercooler was cleaned @1,06,000/-KMS (as per the bill).
Sure I'll write to Maruti and wait for their feedback.
Old 17th December 2014, 16:34   #2902
Team-BHP Support

Please do update us on the reply you get from Maruti.

Also, what was the the estimated cost of chain replacement ?
Old 17th December 2014, 19:04   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Please do update us on the reply you get from Maruti.

Also, what was the the estimated cost of chain replacement ?
Around 8K if remember correctly.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 21:35   #2904
BHPian

I have changed my Swift VDI 2007 model timing chain based on SA's advise during my last service (150K). I have took him for a test drive before handing over as I have noticed suspension issue, rattles etc. During that based on his observation he has recommended to change and I have agreed to as earlier at 120K also they asked me which I did not do at that time. However post the timing chain replacement I can sense the cluttering has reduced. I started observing the cluttering post 100K in my car. It costed around 6K and I thought it is ok.

I have set of things to do next and planning to do these in next 3 service - suspension overhauling, clutch overhauling and brake drum change.
Old 24th December 2014, 12:01   #2905
BHPian

I have Swift dZire ZDI and cloaked vehicle at 190k.kms. I am facing some issue with timing chain noise since car has reached 150k. My advisor suggested me that we need to change the TC and that too on 2L kms. He also mentioned that when we are changing TC we will also clean (or replace if any) the injectors, cause there were some cluttering noise in one of the injector since long I think it started coming from 105k. But let me mention here that neither FE nor pick has been decreased. I am getting 15-16kmpl in city that too bumper to bumper traffic in peak mumbai traffic and on highway it goes upto 19-20kmpl with 100-130 kmph. My advisor quoted 25 k expenses to change TC and cleaning injector’s alongwith some parts (which has to be replace once we open the engine bay) replacements in the engine. My question here is
1. Do I really need to change TC though the sound is significant? Cause Maruti mentioned that we need not replace the TC and it has same life as ENGINE.
2. What can be the repercussions if I do not change the TC.
2. Do I need to clean or replace the injectors?
3. If I change TC will my car perform same, as it is performing now.
4. I heard once the engine is down we lose its charm. Meaning it will not be the same engine as it is before. People have also mentioned that engine starts rattling in few months’ time.
5. Also the life of engine is at stake because company calibration cannot be matched with the MASS.
6. Does the expense is mentioned above is ok.

@blorebuddy 6k to replace TC is good but does it include labour charges as well? How is your experience post changing TC.
Old 24th December 2014, 12:45   #2906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
I have Swift dZire ZDI and cloaked vehicle at 190k.kms. I am facing some issue with timing chain noise since car has reached 150k. My advisor suggested me that we need to change the TC and that too on 2L kms. He also mentioned that when we are changing TC we will also clean (or replace if any) the injectors, cause there were some cluttering noise in one of the injector since long I think it started coming from 105k. But let me mention here that neither FE nor pick has been decreased. I am getting 15-16kmpl in city that too bumper to bumper traffic in peak mumbai traffic and on highway it goes upto 19-20kmpl with 100-130 kmph. My advisor quoted 25 k expenses to change TC and cleaning injector’s alongwith some parts (which has to be replace once we open the engine bay) replacements in the engine. My question here is
1. Do I really need to change TC though the sound is significant? Cause Maruti mentioned that we need not replace the TC and it has same life as ENGINE.
2. What can be the repercussions if I do not change the TC.
2. Do I need to clean or replace the injectors?
3. If I change TC will my car perform same, as it is performing now.
4. I heard once the engine is down we lose its charm. Meaning it will not be the same engine as it is before. People have also mentioned that engine starts rattling in few months’ time.
5. Also the life of engine is at stake because company calibration cannot be matched with the MASS.
6. Does the expense is mentioned above is ok.

@blorebuddy 6k to replace TC is good but does it include labour charges as well? How is your experience post changing TC.
Changing the timing change does not involve 'downing' the engine like you mentioned, if you mean downing as in taking it off the body, yes it involves that, but that's all right, except the timing chain cover and its peripherals, they won't open anything.

If the timing chain is making a noise, it should be changed ASAP as diesel engines are interference engines, if the timing chain breaks, its an expensive engine rebuild.

You can clean the injectors, its fine no problem, but don't allow them in any condition to de carbonize your engine, NEVER EVER at this mileage and age.

Replacing the timing chain should be 6 to 8 K at max, what is the additional charge ? If they have added the cost of a single injector too in the quotation which is 13 thousand a pop, then the estimate seems fine. Service stations always over quote so that the customer does not angry if in case of eventualities the bill rises up.

Get all this done and enjoy your DDIS. That's a very good mileage you have run your car. Keep her fit and fine and she ll run forever and ever.

Last edited by humyum : 24th December 2014 at 12:48.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 14:55   #2907
BHPian

Gave car for service. As per the SA the vehicle still does not show any signs of Timing Chain failure and said that its not needed to change. Upon enquiring about the notification he had mentioned, he said that he can't remember if its for all Swift or for specific batch. Till today Maruti has not answered to my query regarding the same.

As per SA TC change costs about 8K and can go upto 25K (in case some wheels needs to be changed - I don't know what he meant).

When asked him what will happen if TC breaks, he said the costs will be same and engine won't seize. Now I'm really confused.

Total Cost for 1,20,000/KMS Service: Rs.5000/- + Oil (Rs.1500 for 5Ltr Pack) + Cabin Filter (Bosch Rs.1200/-)

Total Hit: Rs.7,700/-
Old 24th December 2014, 15:40   #2908
BHPian

Quote:
Changing the timing change does not involve 'downing' the engine like you mentioned, if you mean downing as in taking it off the body, yes it involves that, but that's all right, except the timing chain cover and its peripherals, they won't open anything

Yes SM told me that but he said if we are opening for cleaning the Injectors in that case we will open head. I dont know what he meant,

Quote:
You can clean the injectors, its fine no problem, but don't allow them in any condition to de carbonize your engine, NEVER EVER at this mileage and age

What can be the repercussions?
Old 24th December 2014, 17:19   #2909
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Gave car for service. As per the SA the vehicle still does not show any signs of Timing Chain failure and said that its not needed to change. Upon enquiring about the notification he had mentioned, he said that he can't remember if its for all Swift or for specific batch. Till today Maruti has not answered to my query regarding the same.
Ask him to go check and find out? Isn't he supposed to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post

Yes SM told me that but he said if we are opening for cleaning the Injectors in that case we will open head. I dont know what he meant,
Injectors can be changed by just removing the plastic cover on top of the engine. Engine head they might be removing to decarb, which actually can be done along with engine overhaul if mileage and pick up are aok.

Quote:
What can be the repercussions?
Can result in valve and ring leakage "IF" things go wrong, hence may not be worth it. Unless there are some other serious issues with the engine.
Old 24th December 2014, 17:45   #2910
BHPian

Guys, I'm facing a very strange problem in my Swift since yesterday. Mine is VDi run ~98K till now. Yesterday while taking a turn at very slow speed the steering became very heavy. I stopped to check, found nothing wrong restarted the car & still the steering was heavy & wasn't coming to centre position once released after taking turn. Now as the car gained speed it became normal as usual and I parked the car at my destination.

On the return journey, again on starting the car it became heavy & not coming to centre position by itself but became normal once the car started moving. Now after sometime while I was overtaking around ~70kmph, the steering suddenly became super light and felt like car will go out of control even on slightly moving the steering, but became normal on reducing the speed.

This again happened today morning while coming to office when I stopped at office gate to swipe my card, the steering became heavy & then normal after car gained momentum.

Now it's really weird, steering should be light at low speeds & heavy at high speeds but in my case it's going ulta! It's getting heavy at parking speeds & lighter at higher speeds. Any idea what's going wrong?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks