Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2012, 17:09   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safari 2.2L EX ; now 1 lac kms plus; Reclaiming continues without Extended Warran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Hi Jkdas. Congrats on crossing 1 lac km. You seem to have a descent monthly run. If possible please share your local mechanic info if he is in EKM. Would like to give a visit.
How much did your OE tyres last?
I goto a Tvm guy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...rivandrum.html

Why not try the independent one there?

Tyres last 45-50k.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 17:17   #662

Re: Safari 2.2L EX ; now 1 lac kms plus; Reclaiming continues without Extended Warran

How is the Clutch in the 2.2L Dicor? Is it easy to use? What about the comfort of using it through the different stages of the 1lac kms. Planning on picking up the Tata Xenon. Im guessing they have the same mechanicals, ie same engine,gearbox,clutch.
Anil Rajani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 17:57   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I goto a Tvm guy.

Tyres last 45-50k.
Thanks JK. 50K on kerala roads are good. I still haven't researched the local guys in BLR. Don't know how they fiddle with Dicors..
Old 2nd September 2012, 23:00   #664
BHPian

Quote:
I goto a Tvm guy.

Tyres last 45-50k.
Hi JK, what interval did you replace the rear brake liner. I have replaced my front brake pads at 40K, i still haven't changed the rear set yet. From your experience please let me know how long the liners last.. thanks.
Old 17th January 2013, 14:36   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Rajani View Post
How is the Clutch in the 2.2L Dicor? Is it easy to use? What about the comfort of using it through the different stages of the 1lac kms. Planning on picking up the Tata Xenon. Im guessing they have the same mechanicals, ie same engine,gearbox,clutch.

Its easy unless there's a fault. I changed it at 60k ( which I think was unnecessary). Odo now at 1.10lac and the clutch is still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Hi JK, what interval did you replace the rear brake liner. I have replaced my front brake pads at 40K, i still haven't changed the rear set yet. From your experience please let me know how long the liners last.. thanks.
At 90kish I changed the rear.

Ask the mechanic to check the pads. They will suggest if it needs a change (which is based on your usage).

For your reference, check the thread @

Quote:
The bill and update

Odo @ 91,000km almost.

The clutch issue was back ( was expecting). Got master cylinder changed at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...rivandrum.html.

I was charged 2k for the cylinder, 400rs for labour. I am happy.

Also, they got the fog lamps fixed for 120Rs!!! ( 60Rs for bulb holder and 60Rs for a bulb!) .

Mohandas Motors wanted to replace BOTH fog lamp units to fix it!

Last edited by jkdas : 17th January 2013 at 14:39.
Old 17th January 2013, 14:51   #666
Senior - BHPian

Hi JK,

My 4th year servicing is due next month after which extd warranty expires too. My truck has done only ~22k kms, mostly highway runs and very little 4x4 use. Based on your experience do you recommend timing belt change in next service? Manual says 100k kms for belt replacement,but, doesn't say anything about time limit.

tia,
-BJ
Old 17th January 2013, 16:39   #667
Senior - BHPian

JK, have you changed the Shock absorbers and springs or are they still factory fitted ones ?

Trying to understand when they will need replacement. I know it will be based on the usage etc.,
Old 17th January 2013, 20:22   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Hi JK,

My 4th year servicing is due next month after which extd warranty expires too. My truck has done only ~22k kms, mostly highway runs and very little 4x4 use. Based on your experience do you recommend timing belt change in next service? Manual says 100k kms for belt replacement,but, doesn't say anything about time limit.

tia,
-BJ
BJ, My beast is due for 3 year service [45K] in a month's time with my ODO reading 40K. So far, my service engineers havent recommended to change the Timing belt change. So, I wouldnt expect yours too at half the ODO reading !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 20:30   #669
BHPian

Assuming your truck is 2009 made, and given it has done only 22k since then, you do not really need to change the timing belt.
Typically timing belt is changed at 90-100k or if vehicle is 7-8 years old with no timing belt change so far. Rubber belts (timing belt, alternator belt, power steering belt, etc) become brittle with age hence need replacement.

Quote:
Hi JK,

tia,
-BJ
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 17:30   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
JK, have you changed the Shock absorbers and springs or are they still factory fitted ones ?

Trying to understand when they will need replacement. I know it will be based on the usage etc.,
All OE ones till date! Not bad eh? Who was complaining about quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
BJ, My beast is due for 3 year service [45K] in a month's time with my ODO reading 40K. So far, my service engineers havent recommended to change the Timing belt change. So, I wouldnt expect yours too at half the ODO reading !

Prem.
It has to be changed only at 1lac odo. This info was posted by someone else also in another thread.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:01   #671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Jk the service manual clear tells as mentioned below on Page 147 -

Change Clutch & Brake Fluid (Or 2 years whichever is earlier) 30,000 km

Better get this checked at the service station.
If you do not get oil changed at 30K service, somewhere down the line, you will be denied extended warranty if your clutch master or slave cylinder fails. I have faced this. Had to pay for the cylinders, because Automobile Sterling in Noida did not change clutch oil at 30K

Quote:
Hi JK,

tia,
-BJ
Was your timing belt ever changed? If not, I suggest you get it looked at. Older safaris had a defective design where timing belt would break within 30K kms, and then you would be looking at a huge expense.
I suggest you get the retro done under extended warranty. Ask the service center to open timing kit and water pump. If any problems are found, push for entire retro kit under extended warranty.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th February 2013 at 14:04.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 22:35   #672
Senior - BHPian

Odo @ 1.13 lac, 5yrs

Completed 5years two days ago. Odo at 1.13lac if I remember correctly.
  • Have to find how I can block the air is not to sucked when its in recirculation mode.
  • Have to get 2 new tyres. Thinking of something different this time; other than yokos.
  • Also have to get suspension checked; will be done along with new tyres.
  • Fogs have to be fixed. Guess fuse are blown.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-wdsc_0883a.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 12:41   #673
BANNED

Re: Odo @ 1.13 lac, 5yrs

Quote:
  • Have to find how I can block the air is not to sucked when its in recirculation mode.
  • Have to get 2 new tyres. Thinking of something different this time; other than yokos.
1. Some air will always come into the cabin even in re circulation mode. This is a known feature/glitch.

2. Try Michelins. Suresh and Hari have it on their steeds and are very happy with them.
Old 18th March 2013, 12:56   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have to get 2 new tyres. Thinking of something different this time; other than yokos.
How long more you keeping the truck ?
Old 18th March 2013, 13:17   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations JK. 5 years and 1.13 Lac KM - you are really Reclaiming your life. You and Tsk Saab have one of the longest running 2.2 DiCors in this community.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks