Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 09:02   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
More like it used to be... spare prices have been corrected since and is on par with the competition these days. There was an ACI article comparing spares across various cars, you could take a look at that.
@BensB: Okie, thank you for clarifying.
Old 10th July 2009, 23:35   #197
BHPian

Hi Condor,

YOur thread has been an inspiration for me to look at Ikon. Today when I enquired with a dealer in coimbatore I was told that the music system has to be Ford's and any other system will hamper the warranty. I have never heard this before and can you tell me if other Ford dealers say the same?

I will be checking with dealers in bangalore tomorrow.

Thiyags
Old 11th July 2009, 18:05   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

@Thiyags, typical dealer talk. (Possible with any dealer - not just Ford).

Suggest you just ignore that, but make sure you go to a competent accessories dealer to fit in the system of your choice. And when speaking to the dealers for the car, you can focus on the car instead of the accessories.

There are wires that supply power to the HU, and this is customised to fit the Ford supplied HU's. If you are going to use a different system than what Ford provides, then the connector on that HU may not match the connector that comes with the car. In such cases, the person fitting the HU may skin the wires to allow power supply to the HU, and the dealer will then use this as an excuse to say warranty is void. Instead, make sure that the power supply to your HU is done with minimal opening of the insulation of the original HU power supply wires.
For my car, Satya has done the fitting. THe car has done 2 services & the dealer has not complained.
Old 13th July 2009, 16:41   #199
BHPian

Thanks Condor, would you recommend this car which will be used as an allrounder (600 kms of city and 700 kms of highway usage including some bad roads like kanakapura road per month)?

I know I am asking it in a very simple way

Thiyags
Old 13th July 2009, 16:50   #200
BHPian

Made a trip to Yelagiri this weekend. The car is very good on the highways. Touched 145 without much effort. Could have done more. Kept up with an Optra.

120 was a breeze. Overtaking was also very easy. Climbing the hill was no problem with 4 people and luggage.

I installed a KnN stock replacement air filter 2 weeks back and it made the car much more punchy and gives a nice hissing sound. Condor - try it out if you drive yourself.

So far (6k kms), no major complaints.
Old 13th July 2009, 16:59   #201
BANNED

Fuel consumption please....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Made a trip to Yelagiri this weekend.

So far (6k kms), no major complaints.

Could you please tell me the mileage you got on the highway and the figures you are getting in Chennai, Thanks
Old 13th July 2009, 17:08   #202
BHPian

City:
Sedate driving: 17-18 kmpl
Pedal to the metal driving: 15-16 kmpl

Highway:
Pedal to the metal driving: 16.5 kmpl
Sedate driving: Dont know. But if driven around 100 should return 20-22 kmpl. (Per other bhpians)
Old 13th July 2009, 21:17   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
Thanks Condor, would you recommend this car which will be used as an allrounder (600 kms of city and 700 kms of highway usage including some bad roads like kanakapura road per month)?
Most certainly. In city you'd realize that though a sedan, the compactness of the Ikon makes taking it around town a breeze. On the highway, the value provided by the boot will make those long trips with luggage much easier and convenient. The good highway manners are a bonus as well.

The Ikon has good build quality which ensures a rattle free drive.
Old 14th July 2009, 09:27   #204
BANNED

Thank you, just one more question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
City:
Sedate driving: 17-18 kmpl
Pedal to the metal driving: 15-16 kmpl

Highway:
Pedal to the metal driving: 16.5 kmpl
Sedate driving: Dont know. But if driven around 100 should return 20-22 kmpl. (Per other bhpians)
That is really good mileage Proxima, Also did you face any ground clearance issues with the car so far? I intend to buy a sturdy car for use on all sorts of roads with 2-3 people in it. As per your review, this car is well built, is a good performer and is pretty frugal as well.
I was planning a used Octavia but this seems to be an equally good choice if it can be bought new.
Old 14th July 2009, 09:59   #205
BHPian

Have not scraped the underside yet. It's definitely better than most other sedans in this respect. It is sturdy, no doubt.
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:22   #206
BHPian

I recently test drove the ritz vdi, and now have to make up my mind b/w the ikon TDCi and the Ritz. The only thing holding me back from the TDCi is the vibration talk at higher speeds. Am I making a lot of fuss over it?
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:18   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That is really good mileage Proxima, Also did you face any ground clearance issues with the car so far? I intend to buy a sturdy car for use on all sorts of roads with 2-3 people in it. As per your review, this car is well built, is a good performer and is pretty frugal as well.
Devdath, this car should satisfy your requirements from it.

As for the ground clearance, it is reasonably good, but with a loaded boot, or full load of passengers, the Ikon does squat at the rear. Considering the mountains which pass as speedbreakers here in Bangalore, there could be an occassional scraping. However, i guess that would be the same for most sedans on the roads here in Bangalore.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:47   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athalaga View Post
I recently test drove the ritz vdi, and now have to make up my mind b/w the ikon TDCi and the Ritz. The only thing holding me back from the TDCi is the vibration talk at higher speeds. Am I making a lot of fuss over it?
Drive them at higher speeds. That's the best way to find out.

Do you want a hatch or a sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Devdath, this car should satisfy your requirements from it.

As for the ground clearance, it is reasonably good, but with a loaded boot, or full load of passengers, the Ikon does squat at the rear. Considering the mountains which pass as speedbreakers here in Bangalore, there could be an occassional scraping. However, i guess that would be the same for most sedans on the roads here in Bangalore.
The GC is better than cars like the NHC and Baleno for sure. I would rate the GC (much) better than average for a sedan. More than adequate for Chennai roads.

Last edited by Proxima : 23rd July 2009 at 10:50.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:50   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
athalaga : The only thing holding me back from the TDCi is the vibration talk at higher speeds. Am I making a lot of fuss over it?
What kind of vibration, and at what speeds ?

IMHO, the car is absolutely fine over daily-life usage speeds. But if you convert the road into a track, then it will scream like a F1 at those higher speeds : 100/110 kmph onwards. And this too is not vibration, but just engine noise entering the cabin. I have done 130 in the car, and she's composed.

Let us know what exactly is the concern, so we can respond accordingly.

But yes, if you want ABS & stuff, then the Ikon doesnt have it. But FTD, ride & drive comfort, a good engine & a pretty good Boot : Ikon it is.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:56   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I have done 130 in the car, and she's composed.
I did 145 last week, no problemo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks