Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 15:15   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess I'll let it be .. Damping under the bonnet.

Tried to simulate the bonnet lining as seen on an Indica etc, but the difference isnt much. Actually, couldnt make out a difference. Unable to load the wav files here.

Idea was to use the Indica's bonnet lining fabric on the lower side of the bonnet if this had worked. That bonnet lining costs about 650/-. Used a decent size mat to cover most of the underside of the bonnet, but the engine sound levels when heard from the front wheels were the same before & after.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-temp-mat-damping.jpg

So guess I'll let things be. The noise is not an irritant, esp after the engine warms up.

Meanwhile, I will still see if the Verna's bonnet damping material will be suitable before trying it. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 27th March 2009, 15:20   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

First Service : 2265km

On a separate topic, and hence the back to back posts :

First service done at Lathangi yesterday. It's been 3 months since I got the baby home. 2265km so far. Fair amount of running in between all the trucking I do.

Cost : 0 for servicing.
No oil change / rotation / top-ups

Guess it was a general check up.Cleaned, esp outside. Rear seat clips were put in (had been broken becuase of the seat cover installation activity). Cost of clips : 28/-
Old 27th March 2009, 16:02   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Should not be due to this : have often switched on the wiper & switched it off before the first cycle completes. (Caused by switching between the truck & the Ikon).

Where is the resting position now - normal, or mid-way ?

Meanwhile, a long shot: A reset may work. Disconnect the batter a while, to erase the wiper's memory settings. (remember - it has a programmable intermittent speed)
That's a good one Condor, will try it out today. Currently have put them forcibily back to normal position.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:59   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tried to simulate the bonnet lining as seen on an Indica etc, but the difference isnt much. Actually, couldnt make out a difference. Unable to load the wav files here.

Idea was to use the Indica's bonnet lining fabric on the lower side of the bonnet if this had worked. That bonnet lining costs about 650/-. Used a decent size mat to cover most of the underside of the bonnet, but the engine sound levels when heard from the front wheels were the same before & after.
What exactly is that green stuff? You need to use the actual lining and then cut and fit to size.

Many luxury cars also use rubber beading around the perimeter of the hood opening to cut NVH. Its cheap and worth a try.
Old 27th March 2009, 19:38   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mpower, it is a carpet. Didnt want to buy the bonnet lining in case it didnot help. The whites are the string I used to tie it upto the bonnet.

Any specific models that have the rubber beading ? will help to search for that better.
Old 27th March 2009, 19:43   #126
BHPian

Condor, I guess we have to damp the INSIDES of the car. The metal between the engine bay and the passenger space to reduce noise inside the car. What you have done will reduce noise outside the car and through that reduce noise inside the car a little bit.

Just my thoughts.
Old 28th March 2009, 21:39   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Condor, I guess we have to damp the INSIDES of the car. The metal between the engine bay and the passenger space to reduce noise inside the car. What you have done will reduce noise outside the car and through that reduce noise inside the car a little bit.

Just my thoughts.
I think Proxima is right here. Wat you have done is definitely gonna reduce the noise but not as much on the inside of the car as outside. v need to put some damping from inside which separates the dashboard from the engine bay.

BTW, I might just buy a black color for my Ikon TDCi. I already own a black alto, which has given me an idea of how nasty things can get while maintaining a black car. But its all worth it. And i just saw a black colored Ikon which looks really nice.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th March 2009 at 23:29.
Old 28th March 2009, 21:48   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2theMax : That's a good one Condor, will try it out today. Currently have put them forcibily back to normal position.
@2theMax, any luck ?

Quote:
Proxima : Condor, I guess we have to damp the INSIDES of the car. The metal between the engine bay and the passenger space to reduce noise inside the car. What you have done will reduce noise outside the car and through that reduce noise inside the car a little bit.
@Proxima : that will be beefing up the fire-wall with damping material. That may be a better try than the bonnet lining thingy I did. You will need to open the dashboard, and see how to add the damping material on the cabin-side of the fire-wall.

The bonnet lining material doesnt seem to help reduce even outside.

Any one find Reverse Gears notchy / rubbery ?
Meanwhile, a question regarding the reverse gear : any one finding it notch? Unless I push the gear lever well into the slot (with some push), I often find the reverse does not engage.

A first service update : Looks like they dis-adjusted the head-lights. The two beams focus at different points, and suddenly I find the head-lights are bad !
Old 28th March 2009, 22:13   #129
rippergeo

Quote:
Meanwhile, a question regarding the reverse gear : any one finding it notch? Unless I push the gear lever well into the slot (with some push), I often find the reverse does not engage.
You find that happening in the swift too. Did you try shifting into a forward gear while at a standstill(without actually moving the car), then going straight back to reverse?

Old 28th March 2009, 22:44   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ripper, the reverse gear engages when I try again with a litle more force. Dont need to engage another gear to make the reverse gear engage.

But when the problem happens, it's like the gear lever feels quite free. Compared to how it is when the gear engages.
Old 28th March 2009, 23:37   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Proxima : that will be beefing up the fire-wall with damping material. That may be a better try than the bonnet lining thingy I did. You will need to open the dashboard, and see how to add the damping material on the cabin-side of the fire-wall.

The bonnet lining material doesnt seem to help reduce even outside.

A first service update : Looks like they dis-adjusted the head-lights. The two beams focus at different points, and suddenly I find the head-lights are bad !
Quote:
@Ripper, the reverse gear engages when I try again with a litle more force. Dont need to engage another gear to make the reverse gear engage.

But when the problem happens, it's like the gear lever feels quite free. Compared to how it is when the gear engages.
Firewall damping is done inside the engine bay and ford used to have good quality lining covered with plastic/rubber stuff on the fire wall, the inside would be damped already is my guess. The boot lid damping will reduce the overall engine sound by canceling out the frequency and give you a slightly cooler bonnet thats all.

Reverse gear, try de-clutching when/if the rear gear gets notchy, should ease out or slotting in first gear and releasing clutch should also help. Thing will improve once the car runs for some 10k kms.
Old 29th March 2009, 04:21   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Mpower, it is a carpet. Didnt want to buy the bonnet lining in case it didnot help. The whites are the string I used to tie it upto the bonnet.

Any specific models that have the rubber beading ? will help to search for that better.
Automotive hood liner should help, otherwise it would't be used. You can try getting it from Gujri.
The firewall one will be most effective.

here is a picture of the beading. Used in most upmarket cars, you can use door beading..its similar. Make sure its compressed when the hood is shut.
Attached Thumbnails
Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-beading.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 30th March 2009 at 17:37.
Old 29th March 2009, 05:44   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey condor,

beautiful review! Very well written.
About the reverse gear, at times I find the reverse gear on the fiesta getting stuck as well.
I generally de-clutch and then try slotting the car in reverse and it works.
Old 29th March 2009, 07:51   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
izzy : BTW, I might just buy a black color for my Ikon TDCi.
@Izzy, Go for it ! And since you know what to expect from a black color baby, you are definitely prepared.

Quote:
Jaggu : Thing will improve once the car runs for some 10k kms.
@Jaggu, this, along with the other inputs about similar behaviour in Fiesta's means that I dont really have a problematic shift.

After seeing Benny's reverse gear issue & costs involved even under wty, was wondering if I should have brought it to Ford's notice earlier.

Quote:
Mpower : Automotive hood liner should help, otherwise it would't be used.
@MPower, thanks. Will search for this.

Quote:
lamborghini : About the reverse gear, at times I find the reverse gear on the fiesta getting stuck as well.
I generally de-clutch and then try slotting the car in reverse and it works.
@Lambo, thanks .. & that's what I'm doing right now. Atleast I now know that this is quite common.
Old 30th March 2009, 18:27   #135
BHPian

Quote:
@2theMax, any luck ?
The Screws were the culprit. it took 1.5 mts to tighten the screws and Voila.. wipers look OK now, though have to wait for couple of days more as I quite often switch on the wipers instead of the blinkers.

Another one.. the Odometer/Trip meter stays illuminated even after I switch off the ignition and lock from outside. I tried waiting for more than 4-5 minutes to see if it goes off and it did not, after which I lose patience and leave.

Has anybody noted this ?, Is this normal ? .

@Izzy : I have a Black, and it definitely makes heads turn atleast for now.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th March 2009 at 23:43. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks