Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:50   #166
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Good to know that you will be getting a new engine in a couple of days. Hope you have many happy miles in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
ADC - what's the latest on your new engine?

Sorry for posting late, was just holding on until I get the news of the new engine landing out here.

So received news yesterday night that the complete new engine, wood encased and whatever, came through the courier company direct to the TASC. It took more time than required but thats is being put on the courier company and the TM fellows have apologized for that.

Called the TASC and they say that the work is on full flow and I am all invited to watch the process. Well work curtailed, I am heading off right now to check on the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Meanwhile can you post some pictures of the exploded view of the engine.
Can help laymen understand what are the various parts.
Regards
Amit
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
"ADC" a small trequest. Wherever you gotot TASS to see your beast take some snaps and post them so that everyone can seee what/how things are going on and even the interiors of an engine also

Yes in fact thought of that before itself, but just gave this TASC a little space - already they are on their feet/nerves because of the mail and the gravity of the work involved [whole engine replacement] - carrying on clicking would have made them more nervous like - as if a sting operation.

But today I am taking the camera - the engine has come and all are relaxed - let me see if I can get some good photos.

Last edited by adc : 2nd December 2009 at 13:52.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:00   #167
Senior - BHPian

crossing the fingers that the TMT will be back on track as before. So how many days more will it take to assemble the whole engine and to be back on track??
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:48   #168
adc
Senior - BHPian

No photos, but work progressing well..

Quote:
crossing the fingers that the TMT will be back on track as before. So how many days more will it take to assemble the whole engine and to be back on track??

Thanks shishir, sure it should be back to its original self in a week's time max.

The service manager was a little pensive if I would take photos of the opened engine and I dropped it there and then - let them concentrate on their work than be diverted on this.

As I reached over there, the engine block has been taken out of the wooden crate and the manifold and the turbo were being attached. It will take a couple of more days to get the VTT running and they will then give me back a report and I will test drive extensively the VTT on a Monday [since that day completely work free].

Since the clutch plate was scratched and somewhat burnt [due to quite a few forest slides and rides], they were apprehensive that with a new engine if the clutch will hold up or not, but said it was working fine and not to change anything now - will test drive and see how things are and whether a clutch slips and a change is needed or not.

Other than that I have asked them to give a estimate in next 2 days about the cost involved for me - the engine and turbo costs something 2.5 lakhs around and that along with labour is being paid by TM. For me the cost will be the engine oil [7.5L], recharging of the AC, gaskets, and etc.

Quote:
If the cost involved from your side is minor then it is ok. Or else you have to again take up the issue and first it out again i guess
My estimate is around 5k for me along with the towing charges. Lets see..

Last edited by adc : 3rd December 2009 at 12:04.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:53   #169
Senior - BHPian

If the cost involved from your side is minor then it is ok. Or else you have to again take up the issue and first it out again i guess
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:27   #170
BHPian

Good to know that your vehicle will be ready this week.

Off Topic: I have also recently started servicing my car in this TASC. I think their rates are lower compared to K.B. Motors or R.D. Motors in Kolkata. Also, they seem to have all parts in their stock always.
Old 6th December 2009, 23:18   #171
Senior - BHPian

What's news?

ADC - Is TMT back on the road again?
Old 8th December 2009, 10:05   #172
BHPian

All the engine, turbo and misc. parts has landed in the TASC and being fitted. But the problem is ADC is given a bill of Rs. 15K approx for consumables like hose, oils and stuff. This is certainly not agreeable as all this fiasco has happened not because of any of his faults. Lets wait and see how things turn up!
Old 8th December 2009, 10:42   #173
Team-BHP Support

This is pretty normal. Even in your normal warranty, many rubber parts are not covered. For example when the bearings failed at 17K kms, they were under warranty, but the rubber seals were not, so I had to pay 900 out of my own pocket.
Ditto for other things like washers/anabond etc., Thankfully they cost 5/6 rs so the bills are like 70rs or so.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:05   #174
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ADC - Is TMT back on the road again?
Last Friday the engine and turbo was all fixed up and running - the complete TM technical people were out there and they supervised and gave the okay after going through the whole engine/turbo/ECU setup. I wasnt there that day, with work being there, and went yesterday [Monday] for the test drive.

Oh boy, it was good to be back on the Safari VTT after a month. Went for a big 80 km highway [NH2] test drive with a technician.

The sound of the new engine was perfect, no bad noise coming out from the hood, only the new turbo spooling sound was quite less this time - must be an imagination!

Checked each and every way with variable speeds, very short bursts of high speed, and it was perfect. The VTT pulled in each and every gear as it is supposed to do, no unusual noise, no funny feeling transferring to the bum from the seat, no hiccups or jerks in that 80 km test drive.

So all in all, as said it was good to be back on the high seat again, good to be back on the sofa style tilt-steering cruising ride again, and good to be see our Safari VTT doing its thing as it had been doing for the past 2 years.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
All the engine, turbo and misc. parts has landed in the TASC and being fitted. But the problem is ADC is given a bill of Rs. 15K approx for consumables like hose, oils and stuff. This is certainly not agreeable as all this fiasco has happened not because of any of his faults. Lets wait and see how things turn up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is pretty normal. Even in your normal warranty, many rubber parts are not covered. For example when the bearings failed at 17K kms, they were under warranty, but the rubber seals were not, so I had to pay 900 out of my own pocket.
Ditto for other things like washers/anabond etc., Thankfully they cost 5/6 rs so the bills are like 70rs or so.
The unofficial bill break up per the TASC here is like this

Engine oil= Rs 1900

oil filter= Rs 277

hi pressure line 610*4= Rs 2440

pump to gallery high pressure line= Rs 1477

AC gas charging =Rs 1500

gasket kit - [head pump and oil sump gasket] 10500-X= Rs 5400

Total = Rs 13000 and will be Rs 15000 around with the towing charges.

These are supposedly legitimate consumable costs that a customer has to bear taking into account in case there is engine change. Now the interesting thing is that the bill will be vetted by the TM contact person here before it is passed to me. So TM may/may not pick up a part of this bill even. In summary, this unofficial TASC bill has not been passed to me yet, so wont comment.

Plus since this TASC work quality is what I believe now, I have told them to check each and every work done at KB Motors before I take delivery of the vehicle. So they are checking the brake system and the right rear suspension and bush [brake pads were replaced at KB and KB supposedly checked and found ok the rear suspension and bush, and was charged labour for that]

Another interesting thing came to know while talking with a few technicians out here, is that a very senior technical person [a senior citizen like age guy] made a mighty important report - basis of which TM agreed to change engine and turbo completely. That senior guy was impressed by the service schedule and the way the engine was maintained when it was opened [absolutely clean with no sludge or dirt] and the air filter quality. The service manager himself said, since I maintained the VTT well enough, they made the decision there and then itself - the senior guy himself like commented to him that this is one very well maintained Safari

For me it was good to hear this tale, really still remember that old engine - flawless it was before it was maimed! Also it reaffirms the belief that a engine oil change at 6-7 k with a simple mineral oil and a twice air filter change in a 15k service schedule interval, is enough to keep have an engine be running as long as possible.

However, my Arunachal trip is still in big jeopardy, already with less freelance work, I am barely holding on to my EMIs.

With a legit service bill of around say 16K, EMI of 20K, at least 2 new rear tyres of around 12 K [the condition of 2 rear tyres are very bad with all the rough riding and it is gut wrenching to have puncture [tubed tyres] at 4-5 am after a 20-hour continuous drive]. - I have bill of around Rs 50,000 right now.

Quote:
PS: As per my read out here, it is okay to mix tubed and tubeless tyres. I am planning to have the front 2 tubed tyres and new 2 rear tubeless of the same tread pattern and brand. The front 2 will be the old Bridgestone tubed HT tyres and the rear two will AT tubeless tyres. Any big issues with this kind of khichidi setup - definitely cant afford all 4 new tyres - changing only if the Tawang tour is done. Do all let me know the issues I will be facing if I go for this bizarre set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Off Topic: I have also recently started servicing my car in this TASC. I think their rates are lower compared to K.B. Motors or R.D. Motors in Kolkata. Also, they seem to have all parts in their stock always.

Absolutely, its like these queer turn of events that has led me to recommend now to each and every one, find out a TASC in our city/town - they are much less crowded, had each and every parts plus the laptop - ie they are self sufficient and there you are dealing with a single person - the works manager. The dealer workshops are overcrowded, too many service person and managers hierarchy, too many people coming behind with forms to be filled up! I have got the best service, technical wise, in the small single shed workshops like that in Siliguri, Solan, and Patna. And now, as it looks till now, here at this TASC, Just Services.

Also take into account that I do not have personal rapport with any workshop [like they know you by face kind of thing] - if you have it is better to go there. For me all servicings have been done at different places and different states while on tour journeys.

Also take into account that if you have a 4wd VTT, it is better to go to a TASC/TASS who has the best experience on handling a 4wd vehicle.

Last edited by adc : 8th December 2009 at 14:18.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:53   #175
Senior - BHPian

Good news!!

ADC - good to hear that the TMT is all set to conquer the road/no-road again Hope you are able to take up the AP trip!!
Old 8th December 2009, 15:50   #176
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Anirban to know that TMT is back. Have you taken delivery already? Little sad to hear the amount of that you'll have to shell out on the TMT, most of it for no fault of yours. But I guess this is Life.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:57   #177
Senior - BHPian

ADC still not gheard about the final assembly news. Did it happen or still they are fitting it up or are they doing any TD and reporting things and checking??
Old 8th December 2009, 23:08   #178
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ADC - good to hear that the TMT is all set to conquer the road/no-road again Hope you are able to take up the AP trip!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats Anirban to know that TMT is back. Have you taken delivery already? Little sad to hear the amount of that you'll have to shell out on the TMT, most of it for no fault of yours. But I guess this is Life.
Definitely it is good to see and feel [drive] the VTT-TMT back to its former self. The main engine work is already done and if needed I can take the delivery of the vehicle now itself. However, kept the Safari still at the TASC since I have asked to them to check for the other work done at the previous TASS meticulously - the rear suspension and bush and the brake system particularly.

MC, all in all I do take this more like I had a road accident and my bill for that is like 14K.

And all said and done, I do acknowledge the support the TM people and the TASC service people had given and the sincerity with which they followed the issue to its closure.

And to top it off, as per my last talk with the direct TM representative today evening, is that TM is even taking a part of that 14k cost and have told me to discuss with him [The TM person] before I pay the final bill - so right now I am looking out for a less payment than 14k even.

So lets see, let me have the final report and bill and then will sit across with him. TM is going even that extra mile and you have to give them credit for that though still it would have been infinitely better this incident had not happened at all. But then, as said, this is Life.

Quote:
ADC still not gheard about the final assembly news. Did it happen or still they are fitting it up or are they doing any TD and reporting things and checking??
Shisir all assembly was done last week and tested by themselves on Friday and I myself went this Monday [yesterday] for my own 80-km test drive.

Last edited by adc : 8th December 2009 at 23:16.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:18   #179
BHPian

@adc : Good that your TMT is ready to come back home now.As discussed on phone keep in touch with the TM person handling your case.Every OEM Service personnel have some budget in their hand to help customers in situations like yours.I am sure your share of the bill would be considerably reduced than 14K.

Enjoy your TMT with a new heart.

Cheers!!!!
Shantanu
Old 9th December 2009, 15:19   #180
BHPian

Good news

ADC, good to know that VTT is finally back to the condition it should be. Really, it is a great relief to several of those enthusiastic safari owners who stretched their budget to a segment higher, to put their hands behind that wonderful wheel. With all your "off the track' kind of trips to less traveled places, you have been an inspiration for all of us 2wd owners. Hope everything will be back to normal very soon.
Wishing you many miles of same passionate driving ahead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks