Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 12:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

40,000 km service done

An update - just completed the 40k service. Cost me around 4200 rupees. Major items were

1. Gear oil change
2. Brake oil change
3. Air filter replace
4. Diesel filter replace
5. Coolant change
6. Brake overhaul
7. Paid service - general checkup

I had changed the oil prior to that - have posted a DIY oil change at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1457722.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 12th September 2009, 10:25   #32
BHPian

Will Maruti not come with new Swift Diesel as it needs to upgrade its engine? I would assume if engine is upgraded to Euro 4 then they will make some cosmetic changes as well.
Old 13th September 2009, 13:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Will Maruti not come with new Swift Diesel as it needs to upgrade its engine? I would assume if engine is upgraded to Euro 4 then they will make some cosmetic changes as well.
1.3 Multijet Diesel engine is already Euro 4 compliant
Old 26th December 2009, 12:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

50,000k service due - oil change completed

Hey!!

My Swift has just about completed 50k and has been pretty fine for the last 10k since the 40k service. A couple of updates

Tyres

My 2nd set Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs have done 10k. So it was time to flip them on the rims, balancing and alignment. After my experiences with the studs and nuts at the 40k point(described earlier on this thread) I was frankly very very nervous. At 5k I did the tire rotation by myself. I am very very skeptical about the way these guys use the pneumatic guns to screw and unscrew the tires. So I followed the certain precautions:
- Asked them to unscrew the nuts by hand using the tire rod. If they had a problem I was prepared to do it myself. But they complied with my request.
- While fitting the tires back I asked them to seat the tire rim firmly against the hub and screw the nuts on by hand before tightening them with the rod. This way it is very easy to sense whether any nuts are going in cross ways. Sometimes these folks just put the nuts into the pneumatic gun and screw them onto the bolt on the hub. This way even if the threads are crossed the power of the gun just forces the nuts in wrecking the threads of the nut and bolt.
- The nuts were tightened using the tire rod
- On inspection I feel that couple of lug nuts need to be replaced as preventive maintenance.

Having my fingers crossed I daresay these precautions have ensured no messy nut bolt situations this time.

Oil Change
Completed an oil change. Used about 2.9l of Mobil Delvac MX this time. Cost me 700 bucks for 3 litres. The oil filter cost me 376 bucks. A total of 1076 rupees.

TLC Update
I was very unhappy about the way dirt especially grease and tar used to stick to the car. Was not very happy after a wash and applying diesel every time was getting pretty time consuming. So I just went ahead one day and applied not one but two coats of Formula 1 wax on the car after a diesel + shampoo wash. I have been very pleased with the results - it is so much more easy to clean the car with a simple shampoo wash and the dush just washed off, not sticking as before. Tar does not have the tendency to stick so much. Even using water along produces good results. I usually apply 1 quick wax coat every 2 -3 weeks too.

Tyre Pressure
I ran for around 120 kms with 33psi in front and 36 psi at the back due to a mix up. I found I loved the 33psi at the front which made the car more planted and improve the braking as well. The 36 psi at the back were another story though making the rear end skittish and causing the fronts to lock up easily under quick braking. Currently running 34psi at front and 33psi at the back. This feels pretty good reducing the bumpiness especially while braking on bumpy corners.

Well that's about it. Will provide an update on the 50k service that the car will be having next week. No expecting much else other than the regular brake service, engine tuning and nut tightening. Perhaps some fluids as well. Lets see.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 26th December 2009 at 12:45. Reason: stupid me!! typos
Old 6th January 2010, 10:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

50k service report

Completed the 50000 service. No major complaints to report - except for the usual krr krr sound at times that seems to be a common staple of diesel cars. Not much impact on the performance and I don't want to make a big noise about it and having factory sealed pieces of equipment opened up and inspected. Just made a passing mention and the service advisor promised to take a look.

Enquired about EGR valve cleaning and he said that it involves around 3 - 4 hrs of labor as the valve is located under the steering box...perhaps a visit later just to get that done. Didn't want to include that in the list of things this time.

What cost me a bomb was brake pads - 3000/- odd. One pad had completely faded and the other would last at the most 5k. Pads available only as a set. Pretty good life though - lasted around 50k kilometers.

The total service cost me around 4300/-. Don't have the bill right now...From memory I believe this was the breakup..

Brake overhaul Labor F & R - 500
Paid Service - 650
Brake Pads - 3000

Total including tax comes around to 4300/-

Cross my fingers and all set for the next 10k kilometers I hope...

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 6th January 2010 at 10:40.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:56   #36
Team-BHP Support

Thats a hell lot of running Anyways good to know that the car is doing well. Yes swift pads are slightly on the expensive side, this is same for petrol swift also.

EGR cleaning is it part of recommended job at 50k kms?
Old 7th January 2010, 17:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu,

Not sure whether the EGR cleaning is part of the 50k service. I need to look at the manual for that. I had a doubt whether the engine noise was because of a dirty EGR valve because I am pretty sure that the engine oil level was not closely looked at by the service center till 40k.

A friend of mine did get it cleaned and reported a big difference in driveability, so i thought I'll give it a shot.

I always get question from folks about the miles on the car. The old mobil ad comes to mind..."Cars love to run." The addition here is that I love to drive

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:10   #38
Team-BHP Support

So how is it after EGR cleaning any major difference felt?
Old 8th January 2010, 11:24   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
What cost me a bomb was brake pads - 3000/- odd. One pad had completely faded and the other would last at the most 5k. Pads available only as a set. Pretty good life though - lasted around 50k kilometers.

The total service cost me around 4300/-. Don't have the bill right now...From memory I believe this was the breakup..

Brake overhaul Labor F & R - 500
Paid Service - 650
Brake Pads - 3000
I had the brake pads on my Ikon replaced at the 40,000kms service, and they cost Rs. 1442.52 a pair, which is much cheaper than those for the Swift. The labour charges came to Rs. 213.92 which seems to be a fair price when comparing against Maruti, which is generally known for their cheaper spares.

Just comparing because i felt Ford costs were on the higher side, and so it came as a surprise to me.
Old 8th January 2010, 12:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu,

checked the service manual today and the EGR valve is supposed to be cleaned at 30k and tehn at 60k. I don't think it was done at 30k for my car. The SA told me that it would involve 3 - 4 hrs of labor; this means around 400 bucks in labor costs...for me the time taken means it qualifies for a separate visit.

Saw your query after i posted...nope i elected to get it cleaned later. Will let you know once I get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I had the brake pads on my Ikon replaced at the 40,000kms service, and they cost Rs. 1442.52 a pair, which is much cheaper than those for the Swift. The labour charges came to Rs. 213.92 which seems to be a fair price when comparing against Maruti, which is generally known for their cheaper spares.

Just comparing because i felt Ford costs were on the higher side, and so it came as a surprise to me.
@benbsb
Actually Ford has reduced the prices of their spare parts with the result that the Ford Ikon now has a very competitive spare parts basket. Also for the Swift the brake pads come in sets of 4. If Ford gives you 4 brake pads for 1400 bucks thats a bargain I think.

The age of the model might also be a factor in being able to price the spares.

Drive on!!
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 8th January 2010 at 12:44.
Old 8th January 2010, 13:43   #41
BHPian

Shibu - probably you should have the title of thread changed to like 60K review now...
Old 29th January 2010, 19:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Service coupons in lieu of shoddy wash

As is normal in MASS customer care I've had a followup call from the service center asking about the post-service health of the car.

I was satisfied with the mechanical service but the wash left a lot to be desired. It was frankly disappointing and smears on the inside of the windscreen made night driving pretty dicey. Other than that there were grease stains on the rear bumper...and that on a white car. So I tell the person that I am not satisfied and that the wash quality was horrible!!

Pat comes the reply - "Sir, if you bring it to the service station we'll give you a free wash". I mentioned that I wash my car twice a week and have no use for a free wash. I gave them a suggestion to issue me a coupon for the cost of the wash that I can redeem for labor charges the next time I go in for service. Well they've promised to get the service manager talk to me.

What do you guys feel? Do you know of any service center that gives a similar option.

Drive on!!
Shibu.
Old 29th January 2010, 22:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Emm, the second Swift VDi to cross 50k at TBHP? The other one is http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-km-later.html but it Pete'd !

They seem to charge you tad more for the air filter.

Three close friends of mine has Swift VDi; all had issue bt 20-230k , one had a blown turbo, one very noisy engine noise, one had bad engine noise.

Don't fix until its broken for the VDi ! None at TRV knows anything about the engine-wengine.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

They seem to charge you tad more for the air filter.
You mean oil filter? I buy it from the MGP shop at Uloor.

Quote:

Three close friends of mine has Swift VDi; all had issue bt 20-230k , one had a blown turbo, one very noisy engine noise, one had bad engine noise.

Don't fix until its broken for the VDi ! None at TRV knows anything about the engine-wengine.
Heh..heh..rt - I think these problems are due to simple issues or their reluctance to pay attention while servicing the car. For instance - the performance of the car has been much more consistent since I've started paying attention to the oil level. The EGR is supposed to be cleaned at 30k and 60k as per the manual - they don't do that. Basically I also think it is an issue of trust - the SAs are wary of unscrewing something that isn't a real problem in the fear that the mechs might create more problems. Frankly you dig deep you find the same resourcing and management problems that are rife in IT!! Also the EGR cleaning is a thing that takes 3 - 4 hrs which means around 500 bucks in labor. Many customers don't want to pay that much which may also be one factor in this.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Peeking under the engine cover - PICS

A month back I unscrewed the engine cover and was amazed at the amount of dust, dead insects and such collected there. This prompted me to execute a spring cleaning drive aided by a little cotton waste, a couple of rags, diesel and a couple of ears bugs for those hard to reach areas.

Here are the before and after pictures. I was happy at the results but I think the next time a small paint brush would help me do a better job. Dunno whether it was because of this but the engine was on a song afterwards.

Drive on!!
Shibu
Attached Thumbnails
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-after_cleaning.jpg  

Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks