Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 10:26   #76
BHPian

even I came across a purolator filter for around the same amount as lumax's.
Took it to my mass along with the delvac mx and they refused to use this filter saying that they can only accept mgp branded parts.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:57   #77
Senior - BHPian

@Jaggu
Thanks - there was a customer service number listed on the carton. I think I'll give them a call.

@sonirohit
I am sure MASS will not accept it.

I actually put in the filter already. The original filter is UFI. The container into which the filter goes into is also UFI. The LUMAX filter construction is a bit different from the UFI OEM one. For one it has a metal crimp that the UFI does not have. Let me see how this holds out for the next 10k..

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 1st June 2010, 22:42   #78
Senior - BHPian

60,000 service update

60k service update
==================

Okay, so the Swift was up for the 60k service. I had already carried out the oil change as described in the post below. The major stuff completed in this service was as follows:

Fluid Replacement
- Gear oil
- Coolant
- Brake fluid

Filters
- Air Filter
- Diesel Filter

The standard stuff was the brake overhaul, and the usual engine checkup and tuning. Something that I asked them to look at was my front suspension as I was getting some rumbling noises when cornering a bit hard. So a suspension overhaul was done resulting in the replacement of the stabiliser bar (anti roll bar) bushes which cleaned up the handling quite a bit.

I had reported a clatter at low rpm and it seems the engine tuning has lessened it. Engine tuning is basically setting the ECU with the Tech 2 scanner. Well it seems to work.

Got a chance to talk about the oil level circular sent out by Maruti with the technical in charge at the service center. I asked him that if in a normal oil change around 200 or so ml of oil remain in the engine innards, how much oil should be actually poured into the engine? He clarified that the engine oil capacity of the Swift is around 3.6 litres so at each oil change with oil filter replacement, Maruti has asked them to pour exactly 3.1 litres and 2.9 litres when the filter was not replaced. Went home and poured back the 200ml I has left over from the 3 litres of oil i bought.

The service cost me around 5000 rupees.

The car is doing good. 16.5 kmpl with 100% AC. Around 100 kilometers every week done at an average of 20 - 30 kmph due to traffic conditions. Car does around 500 km every week which includes around 250 km of highway drives.

Costs

Parts
=====
Air Cleaner - 222
Fuel filter - 1069
Stabiliser bar bushes - 33 for a pair
Gear oil - 732
Coolant - 417
Brake Fluid - 266

Labour
======
Paid service - 635
Brakes overhaul (F & R) - 500
Suspension overhaul - 550/-

The stabiliser bar bush replacement got me thinking about Polyurethane Bushes. And definitely a stock replacement performance filter is been seriously considered - K&N or more recently Cosworth - any suggestions??

Drive on!!
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 1st June 2010 at 22:45.
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:40   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
==================

The standard stuff was the brake overhaul, and the usual engine checkup and tuning. Something that I asked them to look at was my front suspension as I was getting some rumbling noises when cornering a bit hard. So a suspension overhaul was done resulting in the replacement of the stabiliser bar (anti roll bar) bushes which cleaned up the handling quite a bit.
When I do fast cornering, can hear kind of breaking noise from back wheels. Also cornering on uneven surface(patched road) make the car skid and quite a bit unstable on road.

Car has done 18.5K kms.

This has anything to do with suspension? Your thoughts guys..
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:33   #80
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to first get your wheel bearings checked. Usually bearing complaints also result in a kind of humming noise when travelling at speed on straight roads as well. One of the rear wheel bearings of my car was replaced at 17k under warranty.

The Swift handles good but this means that it doesn't like bumpy surfaces. Braking on bumpy surfaces does unsettle the car. You have to be smooth and gentle on such surfaces. I generally avoid braking hard on such surfaces by slowing in advance.

Rear suspension setups in hatches tend to be pretty straight forward and complaint free so I would not really point a finger at the suspension. If you do not have much problems on a straight line I doubt it would be a rear suspension problem. However since you are still under warranty you can get things checked out if the problem is excessive.

Drive on!!
Shibu
Old 10th June 2010, 15:38   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I would suggest to first get your wheel bearings checked.
==========
However since you are still under warranty you can get things checked out if the problem is excessive.

Drive on!!
Shibu
Great going Shibu. Happy to know that you are a happy customer after these much time. Hoping to do the same on my Swift also.
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

The Swift - K&Ned!!

Okay the Swift has been K&N-ed!! After the M800 the Swift now sports a stock replacement K&N filter.

Here is a 1500km review.

One word - Recommended.Here is why..

Performance
Don't expect a instant miracles. The electronics take a bit of time to adjust to the air flow. At first the difference is noticeable only at high rpms when you floor the throttle. By and by the effects start appearing. Slowly I noticed how the car became much more smoother at low rpms. The performance became much more linear. In gear acceleration has improved noticeably. The engine revs up more willingly now and flat out throttles are now more enjoyable.

Mileage has increased. I used to get an average of 16.5 to 17 kmpl which has now gone up to 18kmpl for the last 3 fillups.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 25th July 2010, 09:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

It is a good report on long time ownership. It seems that at 60k service also the MASS charges are very reasonable. You are talking about the K&N. What is this K&N/ I see this in many threads. Can you tell what it is.
Old 25th July 2010, 23:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

Thanks navan49.

I just realised that nowhere in my post have I mentioned that it is an air filter!!

Yep K&N is a brand of air filters. These air filters provide increased air flow to the engine allowing the engine to breath better. They provide stock replacement filters as well as extreme air filters.

Stock replacement air filters are basically plug and play. They are in the same shape and size of the original air filter and it is just a matter of replacing the original with the K&N air filters.

Extreme air filters are generally conical or cylindrical in shape. Usually used in conjunction with remaps and/or free flow exhaust setups. They generally require some extra piping work to fit to the engine air intake.

Here are a couple of helpful threads on the topic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...html#post67281

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ht=air+filters

Drive on!!
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 26th July 2010 at 00:01.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

shibu; which one did you get; stock replacement? And how much?
Old 26th July 2010, 13:32   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajswiftvdi View Post
When I do fast cornering, can hear kind of breaking noise from back wheels. Also cornering on uneven surface(patched road) make the car skid and quite a bit unstable on road.

Car has done 18.5K kms.

overinflated tires? uneven wear?
wheel bearings dont have anything to do with it as far as i know
used to happen with a couple of our cars too. turned out to be overinflated tires.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:11   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajswiftvdi View Post

Car has done 18.5K kms.

What tires are you using ?
Old 26th July 2010, 15:31   #88
BHPian

Michelin 185/70 R 14
Old 27th July 2010, 00:10   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
shibu; which one did you get; stock replacement? And how much?
Yup stock replacement. Cost me 5300/- . Bought it from Emperor, Cochin.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 29th August 2010, 02:30   #90
BHPian

My evergreen Swift even after 60K

I have a strange issue. Most people have problems with their cars going haywire, but mine is doing too good for such a long time. That makes me little nervous.

I have a 2007 Dec Swift VDI. The car has done 61K KMs as on August 28, 2010. I do 80% city and 20% highway driving. Till this time I did not need a brake pad replacement. My original clutch is also going great. The MASS guys, after a Test Drive, assured me that the clutch plates would easily run for another 40K KM. I am still running JK Tornado stock tyres. The local tyre repair center thought that they have done 20K KM and assures me that they would last for another 20K. Whats going on?

My Swift still gives around 18kmpl with 100% AC in Kolkata city driving and around 22 kmpl with 100% AC in highway. I regularly get the car serviced every 10K kms from Mohan Motors MASS.

My concern is that my car would break down suddenly due to the worn out materials that still dont show age or performance drop. Stock tyres and clutch that has done 60K. Is this possible?

I go out for weekend tours once a month with around 400K round trip. Have plans of visiting Dooars (North Bengal) during November 2010. What precautions should I take with this 60k done baby that still has no complains?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks