Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2010, 10:22   #91
Team-BHP Support

I got my brake pads changed for the first time recently at 80,000 kms. However, the clutch needed replacement at 55k, not because it was worn out but one of the springs on the plate broke.
Old 30th August 2010, 00:00   #92
BHPian

That's reassuring for me. So I shall continue driving my Swift as long as it does not give up the stock clutch and brake pads.

Thanks
Eddy
Old 5th September 2010, 11:56   #93
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ranendra,

Congrats and touchwood!!

My car's currently done around 68k and the clutch is fine. Generally when the clutch starts wearing out you would notice excessive juddering when you start off.

I had to change the brake pads at 50k. One of the pads was worn out. The others could have done another 5 -10k perhaps but they come in sets of four and it is advised to changed the pads together.

If your tyres still have more than 4mm of tread, they are good. Brakes and tyre life have a lot to do with the driving style so I think you've got a good thing going.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 13th September 2010, 21:27   #94
BHPian

My Swift VDI - Sep 2007 model has done 55K kms.
No issues with clutch so far. Haven't replaced the brake pads yet.

First set of tyres lasted 46,500 kms (had changed original to Michelin Energy XM1 - 185/70 R14) the day I got delivery of the car.

Changed to Michelin Energy XM1+ now.
Old 11th October 2010, 00:15   #95
Senior - BHPian

70,000 kms Service

Well the Swift has done 70k now and I got the following done:

1. Oil change
2. Tyre rotation

I have decided not to do anything further for 70k. Not much else seems to need attention so I decided to visit the service station after another 10k making it a total of 20k between service station visits. Oil change I carry out myself every 10k kms.

Details of the oil change below.

I did an oil flush along with the oil change and the car seems to have gained a bit of responsiveness and a willingness to rev more easily.

1. Oil change
Usually Mobil Delvac MX, this time I decided to try out a different one. Mobil Super 1000. Recommended by Maruti for Swifts. Comes in a 3.5 litre can.

I also asked for a can of oil flush, and the lube shop provided me with a brand called Cyclo made by Pidilite (makers of Fevicol). As per the instructions :
- I poured the entire can around 400ml into the engine oil before changing the old oil.
- started the engine and idled for around 3 - 4 minutes. Do not rev.
- unscrewed the sump bolt and drained the oil.

I also replaced the oil filter. As usual oil service was a DIY job.

Cost:
Oil - 800/-
oil flush - 200/-
oil filter - 376/-
Total - 1376/-

Pics of the oil flush and oil below.

2. Tyre rotation
The tyres (Bridgestone Potenzas 205/60 R14 ) have done around 30k and seem to be good for another 10k. Touchwood, I hope to get them give me another 15 - 20k as they look to be in much better shape than the previous 195s at 30k. lets see.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Attached Thumbnails
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-photo-0235.jpg  

Last edited by shibujp : 11th October 2010 at 00:16.
Old 11th October 2010, 00:25   #96
Team-BHP Support

Why did you decide to downshift to a lower grade oil ? Delvac is API CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF while Super 1000 is API CG-4/CF-4/CF
Old 11th October 2010, 12:12   #97
Senior - BHPian

I think I did compare the specs by looking at the description on the cans before I bought it. Will recheck and get back to you on this.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 13th October 2010, 22:36   #98
Senior - BHPian

@Eddy

Yep. The oil is a grade lower. But it is Maruti approved. Frankly since I went for the oil flush I needed more than the usual 3 litres I buy. So went for the Super 1000 that comes in a 3.5 litre can.

I plan to shift back to Delvac MX next change.
Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 1st November 2010, 19:58   #99
BHPian

Mobile 1 vs Castrol Edge? Which one of the two is a better oil for Swift Diesel?

My MASS suggested Castrol Edge and says that is Grade IV oil while Mobil 1 is Grade III.

I am confused.

Ranendra
Old 4th November 2010, 16:36   #100
Senior - BHPian

Mobil 1 v/s Castrol Edge

Based on the product datasheet both Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge do not meet the CI-4 standard.

Here are the data sheets :
mobil 1 5W - 30 : Mobil 1 5W-30
Castrol Edge - http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...strol_EDGE.pdf

Mobil Delvac 1 is a synthetic engine oil for diesel engines that meets the CI-4 standards. Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40. I would suggest this if you are going for a synthetic engine oil.

On a side note - I switched to Mobil Super 1000 from Delvac MX last service. The engine while a bit more easier to rev, is more clattery compared to when I was running with Delvax MX.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 20th November 2010, 13:43   #101
BHPian

Service at 66K KMS

Dear All,

I finally did a service for my vehicle at 66K KMS from my MASS.

Based on inputs from Shibu I had specifically asked the Service Advisor to use Mobil Delvac 1 ESP in my car at this 15K oil change.

But to my surprise when the billing was generated I found that it said "Mobil 1 0W-40".

I was surprised and immediately caught hold of the SA. He said that they might have written the part number wrong. But I doubt that is the case.

In any case I have written to their Workshop Manager today and am waiting for a proper explanation from them. If they are not getting back then I am planning to write to Maruti about this.

Here is what I wrote to the Workshop Manager.

Quote:
To
Workshop Manager
Mohan Motors Udyog Workshop
Arupota, Kolkata

Dear Sir,

I am Ranendra Narayan Dutta the owner of a Maruti Swift VDi December 2007.

Since 2005 I had been religiously visiting your Workshop for my Maruit Alto and then from 2007 december I have always serviced my Maruti Swift from your workshop.

I am very satisfied with your service till date. However, I need a clarification from you regarding my last service.

Since 50,000 km service I was advised by your service advisor to switch to full synthetic engine oil since that would extend engine life and auger a smooth driving experience, and I had agreed to it.
The interval for engine oil change was also suggested at 15,000 km.

Although my service engineer assured me that they use synthetic engine oil specially for diesel engines, but in the bill I found that the engine oil is Mobil 1 0w-40 which is primarily suited for GASOLINE/PETROL engines.

I found Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 to be a more appropriate oil for diesel engines. Since both cost about Rs 3100 for the 3.1 litre, would it not make sense to use the Mobil Delvac 1 in place of just Mobil 1 in the diesel engines?

Mobil 1 0w-40 meets the bare minimum requirement for diesel engines API CF and ACAE B3, where as Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 meets the highest diesel engine requirements line API CH-4, CI-4 and CJ-4.

I would request you to make the billing method more specific and also ensure that maximum benefit is passed to the customers for the expenditure made.
If indeed Mobil 1 0w-40 is better than Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 then can you please explain me why you have used Mobil 1 in a diesel vehicle?

I referred to the specs from Mobil’s website and found the following information.

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of:0W-40 (Engine oil used by your workshop)
API SM/SL/SJ/CF
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP meets or exceeds the requirements of: 5W-40 (Engine oil that is more suited for diesel DDIS engines)
API CJ-4/CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/SM/S
ACEA E

Please refer to http://www.api.org/certifications/en..._March2010.pdf for more details on the API guidelines.

I look forward to your kind feedback and technical inputs in this matter.

Regards

Ranendra Narayan Dutta
Any suggestions to fight this kind of a cheating?

Ranendra
Old 21st November 2010, 15:04   #102
Senior - BHPian

It would have been better to buy the oil and hand it over to them for replacement.

Anyway, wait for the response of the works manager. if you have had a good relationship (i.e satisfied with their service) with them so far, I would suggest to change over at the next service rather than bring things to a state where you would have to look at other options.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 21st November 2010 at 15:05.
Old 28th February 2011, 00:18   #103
Senior - BHPian

re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update

Okie the 70k - 80k life of the Swift was eventful to say the least. To top it off the car is dead as a bat now. The battery just died. It had a bit of a starting trouble a couple of days before. I had to leave it and go out of town for a couple of days. I come back - turn the key and dead silence.

I am infuriated to say the least. The car just had it's 80k service last week. Doesn't a battery checkup figure as a basic checkup? I got a Maruti on call guy to take a look at it and he confirmed the death of the battery.

Two questions :
- any battery recommendations? i remember reading a thread on Swift diesel batteries but can't seems to find it. Bosch and Amaron are my preferred brands.
- do batteries die suddenly? Would a battery checkup a week earlier have pointed to the fact that all was not well?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 28th February 2011, 06:57   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Okie the 70k - 80k life of the Swift was eventful to say the least. To top it off the car is dead as a bat now. The battery just died. It had a bit of a starting trouble a couple of days before. I had to leave it and go out of town for a couple of days. I come back - turn the key and dead silence.

I am infuriated to say the least. The car just had it's 80k service last week. Doesn't a battery checkup figure as a basic checkup? I got a Maruti on call guy to take a look at it and he confirmed the death of the battery.

Two questions :
- any battery recommendations? i remember reading a thread on Swift diesel batteries but can't seems to find it. Bosch and Amaron are my preferred brands.
- do batteries die suddenly? Would a battery checkup a week earlier have pointed to the fact that all was not well?

Drive on,
Shibu.
I was told battery in a Swift diesel dont have a long life. I also think its a bit costly (7k-8k). Most here would vote for Amaron. A colleague of mine got Bosch (he got 750Rs for the old battery).
Old 1st March 2011, 23:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

I got a Bosch DIN74. Cost me 7.9k. I got 700 bucks for the old battery. Now I need to fit it into the car.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks