Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:01   #106
Team-BHP Support

Does this mean that if I want to overtake quickly (without kickdown) i can opt for turning O/D off since it will allow me to maintain higher engine revs? Does it give an instant whoosh (or something close) like in the old CRV which had a O/D button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats on your latest acquisition sachin.
The switch you are talking about is the 'overdrive control switch'.
Its a toggle switch to engage/disengage the overdrive , i.e the 4th gear.
If you feel that you are in a congested road and shall be driving in 55-65 kmph zone (which results in multiple 3->4 and 4->3 gear shift, you can toggle the switch to turn 'O/D off'. With this, the car is effectively running with only 3 gears to be engaged, and saves fuel by not having to shift between 3 to4 and back umpteen number of times. When you hit the open roads again, just toggle the switch again to turn O/D on, and enjoy the 4th overdrive gear. Be aware that in O/D off, the rpm at the same speed shall be greater than with O/D on, especially at speeds over 60.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:50   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Ok need your advice quickly!

I have to leave country as police is after me (Ok I'm kidding - I have to go for a client site assignment in USA this sunday - for 3 months minimum).

My car would be left in a covered parking (my house's portico), and may be driven once a week for 2-3 kms by my dad.

Any suggestions on maintenance of a 99% inactive car over a long term period?
@blackasta,

This has to be best soure of info:

Laying up your car : Not using your car for a long time - how to prepare your car for storage - The AA
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:58   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does this mean that if I want to overtake quickly (without kickdown) i can opt for turning O/D off since it will allow me to maintain higher engine revs? Does it give an instant whoosh (or something close) like in the old CRV which had a O/D button?
never tried that actually - always went the kickdown way!

@ para_7k

thanks for the link. I guess I shall ask my dad to drive it once a week, run the front and rear wipers with windshield spray, and park it with the handbrake disengaged - with a brick/wooden wedge behind the rear wheels (the handbrake sometimes creates problems when parked for extended amount of time - seen it last monsoon). Guess that should do it.

Last edited by blackasta : 2nd April 2010 at 16:05.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:55   #109
Senior - BHPian

People - need a suggestion from you. I am getting a drop in K&N air filter for around $67. Should i get it from here in US?
33-2960 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

AutoZone.com | | Air Filter - Performance | REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER
Old 25th July 2010, 20:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Almost 10000 kms on the odo - and found out a real interesting thing today.
The passenger side windshield cleaner fluid spray nozzle had one of its 3 outlets bolcked, so I decided to clean every nozzle (all 6 - DR and PA side) with a pin.
Now after that, when I tested spraying - it was spraying all over.
Then I realized - each of the 6 nozzles can individually be rotated to target any area on the windshield.
Just tuck in a pin in the nozzle (it should just fit - don't try to push it in) and move the pin slowly (like a joystick) in the desired direction/height.
I played with this for a while, and now my windshield spray fluid sprays in a weired fashion on the windshield now (5 nozzles spraying in drivers side!) But with a little patience I hope to correct it to a sane fashion tomorrow.

Last edited by blackasta : 25th July 2010 at 20:57.
Old 30th July 2010, 20:44   #111
Senior - BHPian

10000 kms up for the dark knight!

Today the odometer reading crossed 10000 km and currently stands on 10002 kms driven in 11 months. It should have come up way earlier, but I had to leave India for a period of 3 months and the machine was hardly driven 30 kms in that time.

So before going in for my 3rd free service sometime next month, here are my observations:
  • That smooth shock absorbing feeling of a new car has diminished (or is it my imagination?). Potholes makes me know better that they are there.
  • FE is now around 13.5 - 14 kmpl with 50% AC.
  • Minor rattles in 2 rear door panels. But the sunfilm installers are to blame here.
  • Obligatory rattle in steering as with all i10s.
  • A minute dent in my hatch and some peeled paint from my front bumper left side (courtesy my dad!). I have decided to live with that.

Any suggestions/tips on service/oil/tire/lube before I go for 3rd free service shall be much appreciated.

Mods: can you kindly add '10000 kms up' to the thread title?

Last edited by blackasta : 30th July 2010 at 20:45.
Old 21st August 2010, 20:57   #112
Senior - BHPian

A few recent pics of the Black Asta along with my latest collection of car care accessories are posted here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post2036912

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post2037139
Old 2nd September 2010, 20:48   #113
Senior - BHPian

1 Year up!

Its been exactly an year since I drove down the spanking new beauty down from the showroom to my house. Funny how time flies!
The odo stands at 11472 kms today.
Planning for 3rd free service sometime next week.
Since I started maintaining a felt efficiency log from October 2009 (barring the 3 months I was out of station), the average FE stands at 12.54 kmpl (with 100% AC when required in summer).

Now my average usage is at around 1275 kms per month. Does this much running warrant a diesel car? We shall then plan the next buy accordingly (and maybe pass over BlackAsta to my dad) - which is in pipeline after my dad returns from out of state transfer. Please voice your opinion.
Old 4th September 2010, 14:45   #114
Senior - BHPian

3rd Free Service done

Quote:
Planning for 3rd free service sometime next week.
Got the 3rd free service done today from Mukesh Hyundai.

Changed: Egnine oil, oil filter, air filter
Others: Tire rotation, rear door rattle fixed, wash/vacuum.

Total cost : 988/-
Old 4th September 2010, 19:34   #115
Senior - BHPian

I am impressed with the FE, given the fact it is not used for long distances.

3rd service was quite cheap.
Old 6th September 2010, 00:10   #116
BHPian

Black asta,

Congrats on completing one year and wish you many more miles of safe driving.
I completed 3rd service for my car too couple of months ago with the same service tasks done. The FE dropped suddently after 3rd service to 6 kmpl in city.

When I complained to them, they checked the car connecting to some device/instrument and told me that all is well and blamed my driving style.

I was not satisfied with that. I opened the hood of my i10 for the first time after one year and checked the all fluids. I used to do this so called 3rd service my self for my Honda Accord and Odyssey including tranny flush in the US.

I found that engine oil was below min mark. I took the vehicle once again to service center and told him about my findings. Service center head tried to argue saying that nothing will happen if the engine oil is less and AT will always give less mileage. When I told him about my AT experince and raised my voice they promptly did engine oil change free of cost.

I don't know how it helped technically but the FE has improved now to 9.2 kmpl /14.3 kmpl city/highway with 50-80% AC.

Now, questions to you. Is your reported FE a combined mileage or just the City mileage?

Has your car's FE dropped with the tyre/wheel upgrade? I guess you have changed them to 175R14??

I have a desire to change to Alloy Wheels with wider tyres but only because of FE fears I have desisted from that.
Old 6th September 2010, 00:45   #117
BHPian

Black asta,

I completed 3rd service for my car too couple of months ago with the same service tasks done. The FE dropped suddently after 3rd service to 6 kmpl in city.

When I complained to them, they checked the car connecting to some device/instrument and told me that all is well and blamed my driving style.

I was not satisfied with that. I opened the hood of my i10 for the first time after one year and checked the all fluids. I used to do this so called 3rd service my self for my Honda Accord and Odyssey including tranny flush in the US.

I found that engine oil was below min mark. I took the vehicle once again to service center and told him about my findings. Service center head tried to argue saying that nothing will happen if the engine oil is less and AT will always give less mileage. When I told him about my AT experince and raised my voice they promptly did engine oil change free of cost.

I don't know how it helped technically but the FE has improved now to 9.2 kmpl /14.3 kmpl city/highway with 50-80% AC.

Now, questions to you. Is your reported FE a combined mileage or just the City mileage?

Has your car's FE dropped with the tyre/wheel upgrade? I guess you have changed them to 175R14??

I have a desire to change to Alloy Wheels with wider tyres but only because of FE fears I have desisted from that.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan View Post
Black asta,

Thanks automaticfan!

Well its been only 2 days since my 3rd FS so I really cannot comment on FE, but by the fuel needle it should be same as before.

Low oil is VERY bad for your engine - I wonder how could they do such a mistake!
This is the only reason why I always remain personally present when they do the services (lucky that they allow me on the shop floor!). Also - the service guy fills oil upto a point, and then dips the needle to check the reading, and then fills some more until the cold minimum level has been reached.

The FE I report is a combined mileage of the following driving conditions (in a perfect day):

Distance: 22 kms
time taken : 45 minutes

0 - 1.5 km (normal link road) - 20 kmph
1.5 - 8 km (state highway) - 30-50 kmph
8 - 10 km (wide but congested road) - 10kmph in stop n go traffic
10 - 22 km (wide and fast moving) - 80-100 kmph

Just the reverse while I return.

On bad days - this stretch sometimes takes 2 hrs 45 minutes to cross (especially the state highway part).
Also, local traffic jams are frequent.

My car runs on 185/60R14 tires from day 1, so do not really know how much FE I traded with my stock tires!
But going by the feedback of other i10 users, I face no handling issues and I guess I could trade 1 kmpl for that.

P.S: Received my tbhp stickers and couple of pack chamois leather today!

Last edited by blackasta : 6th September 2010 at 21:12.
Old 16th September 2010, 21:52   #119
Senior - BHPian

Bad lucK strikes!

Bad new guys.
Today while commuting to office, the air bag warning light came on and stayed on ( the car was in motion at that time)!
After that, whenever I switch the engine off and turn it back on - the aribag warning light comes on for 6 seconds (normal), disappears for a second, again comes on and stays on.
I called up Mukesh Hyundai (Jessore rd workshop - as it falls in my way) while returning from office at 6.30 (had a busy day in office) and informed them of the situation. They said that they are closed for the day, and even if they were open they could not have helped, as the scanner is not available at their location, but in the Mukesh Hyundai main showroom/workshop on VIP rd.

The following comes to my mind:
  • False tripping of the sensor due to voltage fluctuation (read this on internet) - it was heavy stop n go traffic today.
  • blown fuse
  • sensor malfunction

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I shall take the car to workshop on Saturday as tomorrow it is 'Vishwakarma Puja' and all workshops are closed.

Also please let know of any previous information you might have on this line.
Old 17th September 2010, 10:23   #120
BHPian

Strange behavior of the engine

Wish that everything is fine Blackasta.

Today morning when i was driving i felt the engine was behaving strangely!
I had put the AC on, and had set the knob almost near vertical position(very moderate cool) This position was so for quite a few days. Suddenly the engine sounded as though it is running at high rpms, though the rpms was maintained below 2-2.5 krpms. The sound was a bit harsh and it was vibrating a bit more than usual(usually very low NVH) Then, automatically it stopped on it own, and used to start sporadically.

I then drove by turning off the AC.

Furtherdown, without AC too this started happening. The Temperature gauge pointer was nearing half way mark. This was after some 10 km driving after a overnight usual rest. So i don't think it was heating.

Strange behavior. Then again gave it a half ans hour rest and while coming to office, i kept the AC and the coolest, this time the engine was OK.

Car has just completed 15000 kms, plan to give it for fourth service soon before the 2nd year warranty expires on 3rd november.

Have you observed such sporadic behaviors?? Put forth your opinion guys!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks