Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 10:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

MODS, I am new to this forum, please move this topic to correct location if i have posted it in wrong section.
Hi friends,
I am glad to write about my pleased experience with my SUV.My affair started in some 2004 middies, When one of my cousin brother brought a Safari White.
At that time i was just learning my buissness skills and henceforth, I was not the one who can afford the SUV. But, i was lucky-charm that my cousin brother got a joining from USA company. and suddenly he realised that he needs to sell his Bull for that. As soon as i came to knew that, I contacted him and gave a cheque of 50K to book the vehicle and after that i had to hear alot from my relatives and friends that i have purchased an elephant heavy on maintenance, and instead i must have gone for SCORPIO, but i never cared what people say(as it was my first love),I said my cousin that i would pay in installements(rest of the money).he agreed and the real story starts now:

When i bought her she was just 2000kms old and the money i had to spent was some 6+lacs. I was running low on cash at that time, and safari was drinking fuel like a Mad bull(giving just 9-10kmpl).and even though i wanted to take it for long drives I was unable to because of the low pocket.
so, it took more thas 2 years to make the Bull cross 40000km+.
Finally, in 2006 My buissness was running exceedingly well and i had enough cash to maintain such a mad drinker.
Till 2006(2005 dec):
40,000kms completed
Work done:
It needed only regular servicing as it hardly crossed the city limits.

During and post 2006:
After, that my bull and me too came to know about its limits.I remembered that during that span of time my bull was taken through every hard and soft exercise of mountain runs, pathetic roads, excessive runs..
I had to do more frequent buissness trips at those times and i decided to take my vehicle for that instead of Train,bus,other means of transports.I had to travel to Mumbai,Goa,Delhi,Raipur,Kolkata regularly. There were some days for which I never shutted off the bull(except for eating which hardly takes 15mins when you are alone), and constantly for 2 days and I liked travelling through night's. Now, situation those days were not good and there were plenty of trips when i got to travell at Naxalite prone zones.But, my passion of travelling alone through steady darkness was so much, that i did them without any second thought of what might happen. and the beast was happy to travell with me too, at speeds of excessive 100-110kmph on those roads(due to naxalites). these all kept on happening and my bull was able to take every type of abuse that was thrown on the road without giving me hefty bills (maintenance).

So, far my journey is going good and my brother has just purchased A Toyota Fortuner, I took that vehicle for a couple of long drives, but felt something missing. and that was the pleasure of hearing the engine turbo growling hard indicating the true RAW nature of the Safari, so after that never drove any other vehicle for long drive i am happy with mine TCIC.
and recently i also test ride the DICOR but then i was not much happy. so, decided not to drain my bank balance.
Apart form all those things, I would like to mention that most of the time i drive it going out of the city over speeds of 110-120kmph(or 90kmph depending on two lane road) and still there are no signs of engine giving excessive smoke and all those bad symptoms.I can surely say that it will go uptill 2,50000kms without an engine work done(that's my target for its 1st engine overhaul).I have mentioned this because, i had heared a lot of people telling about the unreliability of a TCIC Safari.
Works so far i had carried out on my Safari are as below:

Post 40000kms
Replacements:
Clutch plates(+pressure plates) 73,000kms
Timing chain 90,000kms
Suspension overhauled 1,10000kms
Rear shockup's 1,10000kms
Two front tyre changed 1,20000kms.
All power window switches 1,34000kms
Tappet cover gasket changed 1,40000kms
that's all no further issues at all apart from the above mentioned it only needs regular servicing.

Oil used till now : Castrol GTX
Fuel additive : Cyclo diesel additive(every
5000kms 160rs(per bottle))

Regular servicing costs me(every 7500kms at TASS): 2000rs for oil,160rs oil filter,165 rs fuel filter and labour.

Thanks for giving time to my review.
Regards.
ABHI.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th March 2010 at 22:48.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:09   #2
BHPian

Good review! Its good to read somebody speaking in terms of facts rather than rumours.

Perhaps you wanna ask the moderator to move it to the correct location.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice review !!
So much of mile munching & no pics....?? Come on.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:24   #4
SMK
BHPian

Short and Crisp, 'Type what you want to say' type review. Even i have a liking towards the Safari, never mustered the courage of owning one. Would think of it when i return.
Photos would add more grunt to the review
Old 30th November 2009, 10:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Man you are eating kms/mile like having breakfast by any other person. Very nce to know that you have covered almost 1.5lac kms. Too good to read/hear this. By the way everything was good in this review but WHERE ARE THE PIC of your BEAST
Old 30th November 2009, 10:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Good review! Its good to read somebody speaking in terms of facts rather than rumours.

Perhaps you wanna ask the moderator to move it to the correct location.
thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Nice review !!
So much of mile munching & no pics....?? Come on.
OK some pictures (extremely sorry for poor pictures):

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Man you are eating kms/mile like having breakfast by any other person. Very nce to know that you have covered almost 1.5lac kms. Too good to read/hear this. By the way everything was good in this review but WHERE ARE THE PIC of your BEAST

Pictures added on next post.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd December 2009 at 09:20. Reason: See note in post.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:33   #7
BHPian

Dear, it seems you really had a better time with your bull err, Safari.
actualy its realy a very nice vehicle, especialy those who keeps a proper eye on service part and do not compromises on it.
i suggest you ( what instantly came to mind )few parts to just check out for..
1 ) front brake disc and rear drum for wear
2 ) fr & rr coil srings
3 ) wheel bearings
4 ) Fuel and Brake hose lines
5 ) Complete wiring check up
6 ) propelor shaft joints
7 ) rear differential Vent plug
8 ) replace clutch Kit and Brake Kit ( includes sleeve cylinder, hydrulics seals, rubber replacement parts, etc )
this and with your regular service i don't find your Safari giving any hiccups to you.
happy motoring.....
Old 30th November 2009, 10:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh_evo75 View Post
Dear, it seems you really had a better time with your bull err, Safari.
actualy its realy a very nice vehicle, especialy those who keeps a proper eye on service part and do not compromises on it.
i suggest you ( what instantly came to mind )few parts to just check out for..
1 ) front brake disc and rear drum for wear
2 ) fr & rr coil srings
3 ) wheel bearings
4 ) Fuel and Brake hose lines
5 ) Complete wiring check up
6 ) propelor shaft joints
7 ) rear differential Vent plug
8 ) replace clutch Kit and Brake Kit ( includes sleeve cylinder, hydrulics seals, rubber replacement parts, etc )
this and with your regular service i don't find your Safari giving any hiccups to you.
happy motoring.....
Thanks for your most valuable suggestions but my points are:
1) Brakes are intact and with one press the vehicle stops strictly.
2) They are OK OK! and can go 20,000kms more(suggested by SC)
3) Always greased at 20,000kms and TASS told me they are too OK!
4) Will get them checked.
5) Checked at each service
6) Will get them checked
7) and 8) thanks i didnot knew about them will get them checked at next service.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:43   #9
BHPian

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. I own a TCIC Safari and based on my past experience, I found it to be reliable if serviced regularly. However, I went out of country and did not use the car for close to 4 years. I did have to spend some money to change the relays, clutch, suspension etc. after I was back. The condenser was also changed and the AC is now 'ice cool'. My vehicle is about 9 years old.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:41   #10
AVR
BHPian

One more TCIC!!

Great to go through your review! Interestingly I noticed you dont seem to have had any nagging electrical issues which is what I have faced the most with my TCIC - engine being perfect@97K

Also would love to see the pictures of the interiors given that its been the sore point of Tata vehicles from that times.

Keep it going!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 30th November 2009, 15:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys i forgot to add 2 more things that i do regularly:
1)Gear oil change 40,000kms(each)
2)Differential oil change 40,000kms(each)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Nice review. Thanks for sharing. I own a TCIC Safari and based on my past experience, I found it to be reliable if serviced regularly. However, I went out of country and did not use the car for close to 4 years. I did have to spend some money to change the relays, clutch, suspension etc. after I was back. The condenser was also changed and the AC is now 'ice cool'. My vehicle is about 9 years old.
Do you own it now too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
One more TCIC!!

Great to go through your review! Interestingly I noticed you dont seem to have had any nagging electrical issues which is what I have faced the most with my TCIC - engine being perfect@97K

Also would love to see the pictures of the interiors given that its been the sore point of Tata vehicles from that times.

Keep it going!

Cheers,
Adi
I didnot have any electrical issues so far. and as most of the Tata safari's have rattling noises i donot have them too.
I will post the pictures of interiors too, Post your's pictures too.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:31   #12
AVR
BHPian

I posted a similar review on 90000km

Here's a link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-review.html

Cheers,
Adi
Old 1st December 2009, 08:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

Do you own it now too!
Yes, I do own the vehicle now. Considering the service I got from the vehicle, including trouble free travels across South India with full load, I would like to keep the vehicle as long as possible / feasible.
Old 1st December 2009, 09:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Yes, I do own the vehicle now. Considering the service I got from the vehicle, including trouble free travels across South India with full load, I would like to keep the vehicle as long as possible / feasible.
Then post the review and pictures.
BTW:
can anybody tell me the engine oil capacity of Safari, My TASS always filled 8ltrs of engine oil at every service but this time they filled just 7.5ltrs.
Old 1st December 2009, 19:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Then post the review and pictures.
BTW:
can anybody tell me the engine oil capacity of Safari, My TASS always filled 8ltrs of engine oil at every service but this time they filled just 7.5ltrs.
Sure, will do that.

I think the engine oil capacity is 7.5 ltrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks