Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 20:36   #121
BHPian

Hi Condor,

second set of FE numbers - 410 km in 41.4 lit of normal diesel IOC with 1 - 40 ml pouch of ADDON & 60 ml pouch of 2T oil.
Combination of highway driving 80/100 kmph 60% full ac full load and 40% in mumbai traffic.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:46   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

@Highnoon, I would say it looks good, but would like to hear from you. That's better than what I am getting with my lighter truck.

Btw, what is the ADDON ?
Old 8th June 2010, 21:41   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Highnoon, I would say it looks good, but would like to hear from you. That's better than what I am getting with my lighter truck.

Btw, what is the ADDON ?
ADDON D is a diesel additive marketed by IOC manufactured by TOTAL ,FRANCE. Unfortunately not available at all bunks, costs rs.17 per 40 ml pouch.
I would say this one is the best i have used to date ( from the past experience with 3 other diesels i owned - UNO , INDICA , INDIGO and now the TDI safari.
I have also used IFTEX SYSTEM D, STP and abro diesel additive.
its a little premature joy , but i feel this time i have hit the best combination.
BTW it really does not feel underpowered. Feels quite smooth now. with 82670km on the odo , this engine seems to have a whole lot left in it.
well it seems to have hell of a lot more finesse than a 3 legged frog for sure.
The engine seems like quite a workhorse.
now with some proactive preventive maintainance the motor ought to serve me for some time.
For your much lighter vehicle this motor ought to be much quicker and more fuel efficient unless the gearing is different.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 8th June 2010 at 21:42.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:52   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HIGHNOON : ADDON D is a diesel additive marketed by IOC manufactured by TOTAL ,FRANCE.
That looks like a re-packaged diesel additive from Elf ! I was quite happy with the one from Elf, but of late it has not been available. Elf is now Total.

Now let me see if I can find some here ..

Check my earlier post here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ter-mp6ty.html

Quote:
condor : Check out ELF's EMDFA 200. This product apparantly is the Elf Desol 243, which increases the cetane rating of diesel, and has the usual detergent properties to clean the injectors.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:04   #125
AVR
BHPian

While on this topic some products worth trying are:
1) Valvoline Injector Cleaner: My Safari travels rural Rajasthan and the fuel quality there is really bad so tried this. Has made a world of a difference
2) Wynn's Fuel Additive - American firm sold through Hyundai dealers - Pretty good too
3) Bardahl Fuel Additive - Best so far

(1) is less frequent affair and one way to gauge it is that your car starts taking longer to start i.e. 3-4 "cells". Now its back to single cell!
Out of (2) and (3), try looking for Bardahl though Wynn's is as good.

Haven't tried 2T oil in the fuel tank yet but how does it help? Increases black smoke for sure right?

Cheers,
Adi
Old 9th June 2010, 00:33   #126
Senior - BHPian

@AVR, Condor, Highnoon:
Donot use these additives frequently otherwise get the PUMP ready for it's service. Our car runs better on 'Natural Drinks'. I am not saying to avoid them completely, but, use them only when you think that the car needs it.

@ACM: The price of that SPARE is the main concern. The TASC guy told me the price between 1000-1500Rs(approx. quite a few services back). Can you tell the aftermarket price.
Old 9th June 2010, 07:51   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mercedised, while I have used the additives consistently in the TCIC engine, I am now doing it intermittently. Since these additives (unlike 2T oil) are meant for use with diesel, it should not be as much a problem.

Incidentally, my best FE was with Reliance diesel and Elf's additive. 14kmpl on the highway. Was never able to achieve that again - neither that combination, not with any other additive/diesel.

But this is going OT .. let's get back to the Safari.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:42   #128
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercidised - it was replaced too long back for me to remember. So suggest you get it checked with a local mechanic who could get you the righ price, or call up the numbers that I had given and ask on the phone discribing the part. Sorry am not sure what i paid for it, as it was along with other stuff required for suspension work.
Old 12th June 2010, 22:15   #129
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ACM.
I was looking for fitting Scorpio power windows in the front and rear glasses. Have you asked that to any mechanic? I asked my mechanic and he said can be done with some mods. Also are DICOR 2.2 power windows fittable, they are damn cheap only 2600Rs and the model that I have it has 4500 Rs per machine.
Old 13th June 2010, 07:57   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@AVR, Condor, Highnoon:
Donot use these additives frequently otherwise get the PUMP ready for it's service. Our car runs better on 'Natural Drinks'. I am not saying to avoid them completely, but, use them only when you think that the car needs it.

@ACM: The price of that SPARE is the main concern. The TASC guy told me the price between 1000-1500Rs(approx. quite a few services back). Can you tell the aftermarket price.
I agree. I had to service my pump at approximately 80k and I was on constant premium fuel since 50k.

Looks like my wiper is not working. Let me know if you are aware of any good workshop near J.P. Nagar as Concorde or K.H.T. would be too far.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:16   #131

Request for more

Dear mercedised,

Its being long since your first post (Nov 2009), I am sure your vehicle would be ageing gracefully and giving you a trouble free performance (and should keep doing so).

It is still with you? How is it doing? Basically a recap or a rewrite of your ownership review (rewritten now)

Looking forward to the same (for the obvious learning within)

Thanks and Regards
Anshul Kwatra

Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX 2002 ~93 K kms
Maruti Wagon R 2005 ~ 23 K kms
Safari 2.2 2009 ~5 K kms

Old 24th June 2010, 00:10   #132

New kid on the block

Dear All,
I was always passionate of acquiring a safari and now I have seen a used 2000 model Safari top model 4x4, done only 70000KM for 2.75L. Let me know what you guys think as you are all safari users.

Thanks,
Vimal
Old 27th June 2010, 14:46   #133
BHPian

First up, congrats on your buy!

Vimal ... its a 10-year-old car ... expect some moderate to heavy spending on maintenance, etc.

Hope the car keeps you grinning...
Old 27th June 2010, 15:20   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
WRooom : ... and now I have seen a used 2000 model Safari top model 4x4, done only 70000KM for 2.75L.
Try for atleast a 3.0L Dicor - may be a 2005 model. The additional 1.5 - 2L will be worth it.
Old 27th June 2010, 15:35   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshulkwatra View Post
Dear mercedised,
Its being long since your first post (Nov 2009), I am sure your vehicle would be ageing gracefully and giving you a trouble free performance (and should keep doing so).
It is still with you? How is it doing? Basically a recap or a rewrite of your ownership review (rewritten now)
Looking forward to the same (for the obvious learning within)
Thanks and Regards
Anshul Kwatra
Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX 2002 ~93 K kms
Maruti Wagon R 2005 ~ 23 K kms
Safari 2.2 2009 ~5 K kms
Thanks, A rewrite. Nothing has changed in the recent years the car is troublefree and will try and write some latest stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRooom View Post
Dear All,
I was always passionate of acquiring a safari and now I have seen a used 2000 model Safari top model 4x4, done only 70000KM for 2.75L. Let me know what you guys think as you are all safari users.

Thanks,
Vimal
2.75 for a 2000 4x4 is tad high. A 2000 model, no matter the odo has whatever readings did'nt deserves that. A price tag of 1.5L is absolutely ok for a 1999 or 2000 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Try for atleast a 3.0L Dicor - may be a 2005 model. The additional 1.5 - 2L will be worth it.
A DICOR should be easily reachable for 3.5L, that too 2007 2.2 VTT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks