Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2011, 04:26   #226
BHPian

re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
At last the brake booster gave away, it's a coincidence only that both the vehicles (Safari and Scorpio) developed the brakes problem at the same time, while the Scorpio escaped the problem with just brakes bleeding, the Safari needed the Brake booster change that's a different issue as Scorpio has just 80K on ODO while the Safari is nearing 2.4L mark, brake booster cost a whopping 7500 Rs at TASC. I opted instead for repairing it and costed 1200 Rs. Will get it fitted tomorrow and then post the update. Apart no problems.
Hi mercedised, can you provide us with more details on where you got the brake booster repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi buddy,

bushes are inexpensive. the lower arm bushes ( upper ) are about 350 for a set of 4. struts were new when i bought the vehicle. total cost with labour was 2500/- i think. plus alignment.

Thanks for the update. I might also need to get the bushes replaced. The reason is age. Bushes are hard due to age (I got the suspension overhauled approximately 5 years back).
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:31   #227
Senior - BHPian

Problem: Brakes become tad hard when used frequently or sometimes on first press of pedal.

Problem Identified: Brake Booster and Master Cylinder.

Total cost of Brake repair:

1) Brake Booster repaired for 1200 Rs (cost of new is 7500-8000Rs with waiting of 10days, another ones from scrap for 500 Rs were also available but I thought that I better repair the current one). In repairing job a new brake booster kit (as the mechanic told me) and Diaphragm was used (the old one has developed a hole)

2) New Master cylinder (it is also repairable but I thought I should go for new, costed 2500 Rs).

Total cost 4000 Rs including labour and 500ml brake fluid.

Now:

The brakes feel much better although I will test it on a long run today.

@sumannandy: I repaired at a local brake systems repair shop. You could ask for brake booster repairing shop to any car mechanic he will guide you to the same.

Quote:
Hi buddy.

Remember i had mentioned the knock slap tappet like noise that is bugging me.
Well it could be a wrist pin play ( connecting rod and piston gudgeon pin ).
It could also be due to a once seized piston during a blown head gasket episode some 20000km back.
wondering whether to open up head. Just change the pins and rings and gasket and reassemble.
in case its a seized piston scene then rebore.
Is it all worth it ?
If you could bear the expense of another half engine job then do it, otherwise there are plenty of vehicles with that sound and running. If you donot want a bigger expense at this point of time then leave it as it is, learn to bear that and I don't think that will cause any major problem as my 11 years old Indica has the same sound (crank\connecting rod sound) I ignore it completely and the car runs fine, never has given any problem due to that.

Last edited by mercedised : 23rd April 2011 at 05:39.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 10:13   #228
BHPian

noise correction !

Opened the head yesterday. one piston ( first cylinder ) must have seized by the scuff marks. previous owner had told me he had encountered a blown head gasket due to coolant leakage.
The remaining are in proper shape. No real gudgeon pin play in the other 3, this one may be marginal if at all.
It must have been the seized piston which was making the racket.
Replacing following parts-
1) piston ( CST road Rs.700 / )
2) all pins ( just to be sure )
3) head gasket ( roots ) Rs.800/-
4) timing belt ( telco- gates ) - Rs. 700/-
5) fan belt (continental ) Rs. 240/-
6) water pump belt- ?
7) compressor belt -?
8) oil ( pennzoil long life turbo gold ) -Rs. 1100/- ( 7 lit. )
9) purolator oil filter -rS.180/-
10) Turner charges for head , tappet setting, piston pin setting- Rs.1000/-
11) rear bush set
12) Coolant golden cruiser - rs.225/-
13) kerosene - Rs.200/-
14) grease- Rs.105/-
15) alignment - rs. 450/-
16 ) labour - ?
Old 27th April 2011, 21:38   #229
Senior - BHPian

@highnoon:

I could'nt believe it that the gasket and some other parts are so cheap for a TCIC Safari, even it beats an Indica in head gasket price. I would like to know the labour because rest of the stuff are so affordable. Also how is the Penzoil oil that you have used bettre than Castrol GTX.
Old 27th April 2011, 22:22   #230
BHPian

Quote:
@highnoon:

I could'nt believe it that the gasket and some other parts are so cheap for a TCIC Safari, even it beats an Indica in head gasket price. I would like to know the labour because rest of the stuff are so affordable. Also how is the Penzoil oil that you have used bettre than Castrol GTX.
Castrol I believe is paying a lot of moolah to sachins and dravids of this world. And that money comes from our pockets. I personally dont think the products are that good or better put as good as advertised and presented.
I would not put that premium on oil which is widely promoted for obvious reasons.
I just try to match or better the grade / specifications specified by the manufacturer. And i change oil by 5000 km interval.
Coming to your query , pennzoil long life turbo is good so is servo pride TC , Valvoline all climate D, Elf oil specified for Chevy tavera is also cheap and reliable
. You can safely try it. All are 15 w-40 and all conform to API-CF4.
The servo Futura D @ Rs.800/ 4 lit conforms to API-CJ is great value.
Made for turbo charged engines fitted with EGR far exceeds requirements of a tc safari.

The parts are indeed reasonable considering the class and size of the vehicle.
i have attached a xl sheet of the expense incurred this time. pls.check

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1303922229
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx safari engine job.xlsx (9.9 KB, 992 views)
Old 28th April 2011, 08:31   #231
Senior - BHPian

@highnoon: That was very helpful. Some of the things that I failed to understood are:

1) What are rear balance rod bushes? and what's their work, I have never changed them till now and thus asking.

2) How much coolant was needed? (capacity is 7-8 ltrs but how much did you used and is the price mentioned for 1 ltr or overall)

How is the car behaving now?
Old 28th April 2011, 20:27   #232
BHPian

@mercedised,

Rear bush kit has got 10 bushes metal ring with rubber core. balance rod bushes are probly typical clamp type bushes ( with a cut ). Not bought these as yet as the vendor asked for samples.
These once changed will dramatically improve the rear end behavior. My vehicle used to get the sideways movement plus roll on speed on slightly broken surface.
with the front setup good , the rear setup would make the car wobble ( a bit like a camel ride, the rear always trying to move ahead of the front types .
The truck is yet in the garage.
Today the head , cam , bore cleaning is done. Start assembly tomorrow.
the rear suspension day after. should get it back by weekend after a ride to lonavala with mu mechanic and back.
After the sound is gone ( hoping ) then shall also get the nozzles cleaned.
If all is ok , then she 'll back on the road for a longer trip planned with family.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 21:11   #233
BHPian

@ mercedised,
Coolant price mentioned is net price is for 1 lit. only. I have a half lit. can already of the same brand. shall use water for the deficit. shall let u know tomorrow how much actually goes.
For example this time i shall know actually how much oil it takes. I have till now never filled more than 6.5 without crossing the max mark on the dip stick. now with engine totally drained off oil, we ll know.
any case i dont think it takes 7.75 lit.
In fact all prices mentioned are net after discount.
e.g. The 'ROOTS' gasket has a MRP 1090 INR. Got it for Rs.800/ cash. ( sept -2010 batch )
Had i taken the trouble to go to Opera House , could have got it for less. You get cheaper gaskets for the 4dl engine. about rs. 500- 675/-
Interestingly the roots gasket for indica is 1190MRP.
Safari TC is really nice , a few of parts are shared with mahindra vehicles like Bolero . I actually bought the piston pins and bushes for the mahindra 575 DI engine. Steering cross bearings shared with bolero. damn cheap. Quite a few parts shared with sumo victa , winger, even 407.
bottom line not too expensive.
Be ready to subsitute judicially. take a sample and ask for a part. If u go the vendor asking for safari u are asking for trouble.
As u said , as a used car, the maintenance is affordable.
Old 28th April 2011, 21:18   #234
BHPian

Quote:
@highnoon: That was very helpful. Some of the things that I failed to understood are:

1) What are rear balance rod bushes? and what's their work, I have never changed them till now and thus asking.

How is the car behaving now?
i think balance rod bushes 'll keep the drive feel tight and linear. braking 'll feel better. No sideways sway if your bushes are good. changing The rear bush kit shall improve the ride quality , shall mute the thuds on broken roads and may even affect the roll to little extent.
Old 5th May 2011, 10:03   #235
BHPian

rear balance rod bushes safari-

@mercedised,

The balance tod bushes - 8 in numbers- kit cost Rs.60/- ( shared with sumo ) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...smile.gifThese had become hard, two each on either end of the balance rod ( a ' s' type rod connected to chassis just in front and above the rear wheels. Can be seen from the tyre well.

Simple procedure of half an hour or less. get them changed if u like. Helps a great deal.

The bushes are small about 1-1/2" dia with a brass core ,thru which a a bolt is affixed to the balance rod end.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 5th May 2011 at 10:08.
Old 5th May 2011, 10:59   #236
Senior - BHPian

@highnoon: I think that these bushes must be included in the suspension job. I have changed the shocks and rear springs for now, the suspension overhaul does'nt seem tobe necessary at this time. As we are planning a Leh trip I am going to change all the rubber hoses and alternator, AC belts. (timing was changed recently) are there any other belts to change? and if possible anyone could quote the prices?
Old 5th May 2011, 11:52   #237
BHPian

@ mercedised-
Fan belt - Rs.180/-
power steering belt - Rs. 190/-
water pump belt - Rs.280/-
Timing belt - Rs. 800/-
while u are changing the belts , do check the oil seals too. were leaking in my truck. changed them too. CHEAP. 180 / ( 3 numbers )

Pls. check the differential oil, the gear oil. Everytime i would ask the mech , he would show me how clean it is on the finger , but if u actually drain it , it would be in terrible state with a lot of metal floating in it. Now i insist on changing it as per schedule . Physical evaluation ( visual ) may not be advisable as the oil plug is usually located highest level of the sump. and all metal which is heavier would settle at the bottom. am i right ?
In my accent , the mech. evrytime would refuse to change stating sahab bahut accha hai oil ekdum nayejaisa. At 60000km i said buddy change it . Its my money and the manufacturer is no fool to advise the change. On draining it the fool is nodding . Yes accha kiya badal diya
Old 6th May 2011, 05:34   #238
c10
BHPian

Hi,

I have just added a new member to our family stable - A BEAST as one can say - 2003 4X4 SAFARI - TCIC!!

I have been closely watching this thread since past 3 days to know more about the BEAST from owners like you guys and have been able to get a lot of knowledge about the technicalities, regular check up's & maintenace to keep the BEAST in good shape.. and for this i would like to thank mercedised, AVR, sumannandy, HIGHNOON for all the information you guys have been sharing since the day this thread started (30th Nov'2009)!!

The BEAST is replaced by her sister - SIERRA, she was a 1997 model, so i am not new to the TATA family.

The BEAST is at most times used by my brother who does a lot of highway trips - almost everyday covering like 150 - 200 kms a day..

I have just replaced the Engine oil (Shell), Oil / Diesel Filters immediately after we got the BEAST 2 weeks ago. Planning to check for more check & replace job this weekend.

Cheers!!
c10

Last edited by c10 : 6th May 2011 at 05:36.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:41   #239
Senior - BHPian

@c10:
Nice to find another Safari owner. How much does the car has on its ODO and which model (EX or LX or the special edition) it is?

Quote:
@ mercedised-
Fan belt - Rs.180/-
power steering belt - Rs. 190/-
water pump belt - Rs.280/-
Timing belt - Rs. 800/-
while u are changing the belts , do check the oil seals too. were leaking in my truck. changed them too. CHEAP. 180 / ( 3 numbers )
Could you mention which oil seals are you talking about? I change Diff. oil, Gear oil at every 35-40K kms.
Old 7th May 2011, 01:11   #240
c10
BHPian

Quote:
@c10:
Nice to find another Safari owner. How much does the car has on its ODO and which model (EX or LX or the special edition) it is?
Well, i suppose the BEAST has covered more than 1.7L on the ODO.
She's a EX version. I bought her from a used car consultant. The ODO was tampered. I found a Wheel Alignment receipt in the glove box, it was mentioned 166XXXKms as the ODO reading.. I got her inspected for back compression and engine condition from a reliable mechanic, he said the engine was in very good condition.

I know the difference btwn EX & LX but what did the Special Edition come with??
She is currently giving @ 8.5 - 9.5 FE, i am trying to tame her in all the ways possible and get a better FE.. My aim is 10 & 12 + city & highway.. I know its a task to get 10 in Bengaluru City conditions.

Its a Royal feeling to drive the BEAST!! I just love the road presence she has..

P.S. : Safari owners from Bengaluru, kindly pm me ur contact numbers. Would like to catch up with you guys sometime.

Cheers!!

Last edited by c10 : 7th May 2011 at 01:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks