Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 20:24   #211
BHPian

re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Got the rear coil springs of the car changed, one of them broke while I hit a speed breaker at 80kmph with 7 adults in the car. Both the springs costed some 3600 Rs. Now, the car runs like a Volvo.

Maybe i can have the same thing done because my struts are like new but the lurching and awkward jiggle is still there on potholes. The front setup is in good shape now..
So i must be having weakened rear springs.

Note from Team-BHP : Its noted you regularly post back to back posts and you quote other posts improperly. Please ensure its corrected in future posting. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th February 2011 at 12:22.
Old 18th February 2011, 20:33   #212
BHPian

This shows that Safari is not that difficult and expensive a car to maintain. I always had this notion that such a big car would be very expensive to maintain. Looking forward to many more miles from your car.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:51   #213
Senior - BHPian

Got the oil\oil filter\diesel filter changed today at TASC. Total cost was 2500 Rs. Apart also got the wheel alignment done for 250 Rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Maybe i can have the same thing done because my struts are like new but the lurching and awkward jiggle is still there on potholes. The front setup is in good shape now..
So i must be having weakened rear springs.
Yes indeed. My car too behaved the same even when I changed the rear shocks. But, it was only after the springs change that I realized how good is the suspension of this car.

Last edited by mercedised : 18th February 2011 at 22:53.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:09   #214
BHPian

I actually drove friends 3 yr. old 2.2 just to check the difference between the ride quality. Safari ride QUALITY is quite amazing. ( MINE IS NOT ). inspite of having new bushes , struts etc.
i SHALL SURELY GO FOR THE NEW SPRINGS NOW.

Any idea about the tappets clatter / valve clearance / bent valve / stuck piston noise ? Makes noise as bad as say a DI bolero.

I think I noticed in one of your posts that you did some work with steering column. The TASS said that the bearings are sealed, so the entire assembly needs to be replaced. But 8k is a huge amount.[/quote]

Is the setup on 2.2 is different ? It does fell better weighted.
Mine has 2 cross bearings quite like those on sumo/407 / and exactly like the ones on bolero. Quite inexpensive in open market - Rs.550 & 450.
It doesnt have a rack and pinion type.

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th February 2011 at 12:21. Reason: back to back posts. Wait for 20 minutes before making next post or use EDIT button
Old 19th February 2011, 13:35   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have got a third line of front facing seats some time back.
Hey, that sounds interesting. Could you please provide some more details (approximate cost, some pics).
Old 19th February 2011, 15:44   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hey, that sounds interesting. Could you please provide some more details (approximate cost, some pics).
Retained the left side jump seat. Got a simple front folding type seat for 2 made installed front facing on the left side. Fitted with nut and bolt to the floor. can be removed easily if need the loading bay. or backrest can be folded down on the seat.
With the left jump closed , one can easily climb up to access the seat , what with the left side handle for support and leg rest.
Also with the jump seat opened can easily make a bed for my 4 year old kid.
shall upload pics of the contraption later.
never done that, shall have to figure out how to upload.
expense - Rs.1750/- got it made from on shakeel seatwala at cst rd. kurla , mumbai.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 19th February 2011 at 15:46.
Old 19th February 2011, 19:48   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the left jump closed , one can easily climb up to access the seat , what with the left side handle for support and leg rest.
Also with the jump seat opened can easily make a bed for my 4 year old kid.
Very innovative, I must say

Requesting again, please do post the pics, will help others a lot !
Old 21st February 2011, 18:23   #218
BHPian

third row front facing

Name:  last seat 1.jpg
Views: 5754
Size:  32.4 KB

Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!-last-seat-2.jpg

Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!-laste-seat-4.jpg

the seat back rest can fold face down. Its got enough clear space below for some amount of luggage directly from behind. Fitted by 2 long bolts with locking nuts below.. Its a derivative of the side jump seat of sumo/ tavera etc. only they fold seat up.
Its 31 " in length. the head room is devised to fit easily a 5 ft and half tall person. Leg space is also ok. The inclination is kept so that your back of head doesnt touch the slanting rear hatch glass.
I bought a matting pvc roll installed on the carpet before fitting it so the rear bay is quite clean.
The catch is since the back rest folds downward , in case of a fronton impact, its difficult to have rear seat belts on the seat.
I am going to try to get them fitted to the d pillar and left hip joint of the seat.

The whole end result is a whole lot better than the jump seats. The vehicle now seats 7.5 with reasonable comfort.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 21st February 2011 at 18:28.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2011, 19:11   #219
Senior - BHPian

Great job Highnoon. This is the most neat seat job I have seen on a Safari 3rd row. Please post some tips on how your car interiors look so clean. Mine are in pathetic condition. Get the rear coil springs changed and you will enjoy your ride as never before. How much the struts and bushes change costed to you?

P.S: Looking forward to more interior pictures (front and middle row seats, door pads, dashboard) of your Car.

Last edited by mercedised : 21st February 2011 at 19:13.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:48   #220
Senior - BHPian

@Highnoon, I second Mercedised, a brilliant job on the 3rd row seating, one of the best seating mods that I have seen
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:15   #221
Senior - BHPian

Great JOb highnoon, I think you should start your own thread and post some close up pictures.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:07   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Great job Highnoon. This is the most neat seat job I have seen on a Safari 3rd row. Please post some tips on how your car interiors look so clean. Mine are in pathetic condition. Get the rear coil springs changed and you will enjoy your ride as never before. How much the struts and bushes change costed to you?

P.S: Looking forward to more interior pictures (front and middle row seats, door pads, dashboard) of your Car.
Hi buddy,

bushes are inexpensive. the lower arm bushes ( upper ) are about 350 for a set of 4. struts were new when i bought the vehicle. total cost with labour was 2500/- i think. plus alignment.
If my vehicle runs without expensive trouble http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
about 75% of what ur mileage today. i wouldnt mind scruffed up interiors.
anyway mine look clean more because of the reduced pixels in the foto.
2.0 lac plus is great buddy.
The real paisa vasool deal is this.
My family in the states
1) sister had toyota corolla 2002-2009 - 4 lac miles ( without engine work ) sold and bought a accord
2) my nephew- nissan pathfinder- 2004 bought with 145000 miles on the odo now running 550000 th mile. keeps this and bought a second car bmw convertible.

we in india rarely use the vehicles to their full potential or service life.
only if we do some preventive maintenance , go by the manufacturer's manual for severe driving condition maintenance ( our conditions are exteremely severe )our vehicles can also last a decade easily and save us some money which we lose on premature sale.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 22nd February 2011 at 13:08.
Old 23rd February 2011, 22:03   #223
Senior - BHPian

Got the diesel filler pipe changed as the last one has developed leak, the TASC have fitted a 'Sumo' one as short-term cure, will fit the original one as it reaches the TASC.

@highnoon:

Thanks for the information on bushes. I have yet to get them changed, what difference does they make? Yes, you're correct about the mileage on foreign cars (on stock engines) greater than Indians. My 2cents reason is our cars have to do a lot of more 'LABOURER' work. Most of the cars in India are built taking in prospective the 'cheap yet reliable' which is difficult to attain. No matter how much you abuse your vehicle just ensure it gets oil changes at right time (engine oil, differential oil...) nothing else. This is the prime reason (Servicing @7500-8000kms, including general check-up, oil, oil filter, diesel filter change and other things as per periodic maintenance chart) that I am able to achieve such mileage figures without any problem.

Last edited by mercedised : 23rd February 2011 at 22:05.
Old 21st April 2011, 00:11   #224
Senior - BHPian

At last the brake booster gave away, it's a coincidence only that both the vehicles (Safari and Scorpio) developed the brakes problem at the same time, while the Scorpio escaped the problem with just brakes bleeding, the Safari needed the Brake booster change that's a different issue as Scorpio has just 80K on ODO while the Safari is nearing 2.4L mark, brake booster cost a whopping 7500 Rs at TASC. I opted instead for repairing it and costed 1200 Rs. Will get it fitted tomorrow and then post the update. Apart no problems.
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:13   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Got the diesel filler pipe changed as the last one has developed leak, the TASC have fitted a 'Sumo' one as short-term cure, will fit the original one as it reaches the TASC.

This is the prime reason (Servicing @7500-8000kms, including general check-up, oil, oil filter, diesel filter change and other things as per periodic maintenance chart) that I am able to achieve such mileage figures without any problem.
Hi buddy.

Remember i had mentioned the knock slap tappet like noise that is bugging me.
Well it could be a wrist pin play ( connecting rod and piston gudgeon pin ).
It could also be due to a once seized piston during a blown head gasket episode some 20000km back.
wondering whether to open up head. Just change the pins and rings and gasket and reassemble.
in case its a seized piston scene then rebore .http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif
Is it all worth it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks