Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 13:14   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Th repaired Brake Booster has given up. The brakes gets LOCKED... and one has to press pedal several times to unbrake them.. Will take the car to SC tomorrow.
Old 15th May 2011, 09:31   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Th repaired Brake Booster has given up. The brakes gets LOCKED... and one has to press pedal several times to unbrake them.. Will take the car to SC tomorrow.
This is real sad to hear. Hope you get it fixed nice and proper this time. I've never had a braking issue on mine, the brake oil also gets topped only during general services - was wondering if this is a TCIC issue or is a one-off. I guess once you get it sorted out, then you will have trouble free braking for a long long time - does not seem like a design flaw to me
Old 15th May 2011, 10:41   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
This is real sad to hear. Hope you get it fixed nice and proper this time. I've never had a braking issue on mine, the brake oil also gets topped only during general services - was wondering if this is a TCIC issue or is a one-off. I guess once you get it sorted out, then you will have trouble free braking for a long long time - does not seem like a design flaw to me
Actually, the brake booster went kaput a few days ago @2.26L kms. Instead of getting it replaced I got it repaired, as the cost of new was 7500 Rs and repairing cost came out tobe only 1200 Rs.

Now, The TASC is insisting on changing the booster, I thought that I should first follow the booster guy to recheck the fault in booster. Last time the Diaphragm was tore-off. Now, didn't have time for such long work. The car is resting for now. No luck for next 1 month, the car will be in the same state as I have a DICOR as back-up vehicle.

P.S: This is not a specific TCIC issue, infact there is nothing such as design flaw in after 2003 Safaris they are the most reliable Safaris produced till now comparing with both the DICOR versions and 1998-2002 TCIC versions.

Last edited by mercedised : 15th May 2011 at 10:44.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 18:51   #259
BHPian

@ mercedised !
Buddy u need to change it. Dont try repairing it. My mech says its not reliable. Repair the turbo , pump a couple of times , open the engine too if need be but brakes you cant take the risk. The vehicle with so much curbweight and its age too.
Is it costly ?. try getting it from a oe vendor instead of tata. You may save upto 30 %.
Old 16th May 2011, 03:00   #260
c10
BHPian

Hi, i have posted the pics of My Beast!!

Check it at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-please.html

Cheers!!
Old 16th May 2011, 08:19   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@ mercedised !
Buddy u need to change it. Dont try repairing it. My mech says its not reliable. Repair the turbo , pump a couple of times , open the engine too if need be but brakes you cant take the risk. The vehicle with so much curbweight and its age too.
Is it costly ?. try getting it from a oe vendor instead of tata. You may save upto 30 %.
Will have to order, as no one has it in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10 View Post
Hi, i have posted the pics of My Beast!!

Check it at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-please.html

Cheers!!
Nice photos, the car looks neat but is it repainted? How much did that woofer cost to you?
Old 19th May 2011, 18:10   #262
BHPian

[quote=mercedised;2352708]Will have to order, as no one has it in stock.

Hi mercedised,
There is a vendor at Opera House. He specializes in Telco spares. Usually has evrything in stock even stuff like pistons ( tcic safari ) which usually are not in stock with even big spare parts shops. His tel. number is 022-23886808. Check out the price at this guy .Usually if they have a part which is say a year or half old , you would get good price ( older MRP too plus discounts ). Last year and half spares have risen dramatically, so if u need to order anything , it 'll usually ship with a newer tag.
BTW is the part same as one in sumo victa ? I have found that sometimes if u go to a dealer with requirement of a part for safari he acts pricey.
some of parts may even be shared with bolero
so its not a bad option to take a sample and try at a mahindra dealer. mahindra prices of muvs may be a little on lower side .

@ mercedised !

Have you by any chance kept a tab of all expenses incurred on you safari after you bought it other than service , insurance ? @ 2.26 lac km , it shall be interesting study to know the stuff that goes wrong periodically and how much does it cost to fix in safari tcic.
It may help interested buyers of safari take an informed decision on buying a used safari or even a new one at that.
At the end of the day , assuming resale to be zero or negligible on the decade old suv , actual cost of ownership per km can be computed.

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2011 at 13:13. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 19th May 2011, 18:26   #263
Senior - BHPian

I have talked to the dealer that you have given the number, He does'nt have in stock, the brake booster.

Quote:
@ mercedised !
Have you by any chance kept a tab of all expenses incurred on you safari after you bought it other than service , insurance ? @ 2.26 lac km , it shall be interesting study to know the stuff that goes wrong periodically and how much does it cost to fix in safari tcic.
It may help interested buyers of safari take an informed decision on buying a used safari or even a new one at that.
At the end of the day , assuming resale to be zero or negligible on the decade old suv , actual cost of ownership per km can be computed.
Thanks for the number.

Yes, I do have all the bills, for now deduct the tyres and diesel, talking only about TASC maintenance it has nearly costed me 1 Rs per km (approx.) (only), this includes all the regular services and parts change till now.

Sumo do shares its parts with TCIC.

Last edited by mercedised : 19th May 2011 at 18:35.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 21:38   #264
BHPian

Thats impressive for a vehicle known for its ' white elephant' tag.
I have had following repairs in the 16000 od km i have owned the vehicle ( some of them preventive maintenance really )
Have had to spend
!) rear cooling coil work - 5200/-
2) ac servicing due to front vend leakage on windshield - 2500/-
3) Fuel pump lekage - Rs.5400/-
4) Engine half job ( piston noise- couldnt bear it anymore but many avoid it ) Rs.14721/- including all belt, oil seal change, .
5) Lube change- 9490/-
6) door lock, actuator , winder work - 1650/-
7) suspension bushes , ball joints etc. - 2450/-
8) steering - 2111/-
----------------------- Total -Rs.35332/-
Vehicle is now in quite excellent condition. Engine very smooth and superb, noise gone,clutch is quite soft ( infact much softer than couple of 2.2 safari's i recently drove ).
Suspension could have been better but there is really nothing more to check / replace. maybe its only the rear coils that u suggested.
But the vehice looks now good for a long haul without any niggles.
I believe the expenses are surprisingly low for a vehicle of its size and age.
Just got back from a lonavala trip today, Gave 13.5kmpl keeping her a shade below 2000 rpm and about 80 kmph on the return trip.
Had dosed the diesel with about 150 ml of servo 2t oil. Made the engine feel unstressed and i feel the new rings are nicely set in.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 00:10   #265
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Had dosed the diesel with about 150 ml of servo 2t oil. Made the engine feel unstressed and i feel the new rings are nicely set in.
2t Oil works like a charm on the TCIC. Have been using it for a while now. The smoothness of the engine is remarkably better. Best combination so far has been HP ordinary diesel and their Racer 2T oil. for about 24 liters of diesel I put the 40 ml pouch costing 8.50 INR. Continue for a while and it will work wonders.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 14:12   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
2t Oil works like a charm on the TCIC. Have been using it for a while now. The smoothness of the engine is remarkably better. Best combination so far has been HP ordinary diesel and their Racer 2T oil. for about 24 liters of diesel I put the 40 ml pouch costing 8.50 INR. Continue for a while and it will work wonders.
What's the use of 2T oil in cars? Please explain if its worth then I would also like to go for this upgrade...
Old 20th May 2011, 15:58   #267
BHPian

2T oil in diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I am adding a 40 ml sache of Total D a additive for diesel sold at some IOC bunks along with the 2t.
Most mumbai pumps have a lot of water in the diesel. Last year ,i Have had to change the fuel filter element twice in between service.
Ever since i started dosing the ordinary diesel with 2t , have noticed substantial improvement even in firing , pump noise, vehicles feels peppy and smooth .
And guess what , when i removed the pistons recently, i found the top to be resonably clean. @ 95000 km , i feel the 2t may have had something to do with the engine cleanliness.
Also noted no additional smoke if not outright reduction in the smoke with the 2t.
The vehicles passes the puc easily.
Old 20th May 2011, 16:05   #268
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
What's the use of 2T oil in cars? Please explain if its worth then I would also like to go for this upgrade...
If you want me to explain it technically , IIRC, 2T oil has chemical properties that support complete combustion in diesel engines. Engines usually don't burn all the fuel injected and hence with addition of 2T more complete combustion happens. Well, I am going more by the actual experience I have had and would strongly recommend it.

Quote:
I am adding a 40 ml sache of Total D a additive for diesel sold at some IOC bunks along with the 2t.
I think you can just use the 2T oil + diesel combo and don't need to add additives over and above that. I haven't used any additives at all since i started the 2T thing. And yes, all the improvements you mention are also experienced by me. Of course, this is an old-school approach and should not be experimented in a common-rail engine.

Strongly recommend the HP diesel + Racer 2 2T oil combo. I have seen drastic improvement in smoothness when shifting from IOC to HP. Now I avoid IOC diesels.

Last edited by AVR : 20th May 2011 at 16:07.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 18:48   #269
BHPian

I find it better with IOC .

I used Mobil Delvac MX in the last fill. the vehicle is super smooth, and I feel that the it is easier to reach higher speed or climb steep inclines with full load. And definitely the engine is silent enough, but that may be due to the pump head change as well.

I am open for suggestions as it is time for another oil change now. This time the vehicle is running smooth even after close to 6.75k kms.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 19:04   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

How about Total ?

@Sumannandy, one brand of oil I want to try out next is Total Quartz 5000 or higher. Total is OE for Volvo's, as per info on Total's website.

Have not been able to located a dealer for this, though I have contacted the distributor who is based in Kanakapura Road (he sells only 210 lit barrels). I did see one shop in the lane next to Sagar (the Maruti dealer) on Bannerghatta Road - this is the road that leads towards Christ school.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks