Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 09:26   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

@c10:

The special edition 2003 Safari came with a Fridge, Play station 2, other goodies. I am in search of such a vehicle, if you come across any them contact me Please!

Is the engine rebuilt? There is a possibility as the kms on odo were tampered the vehicle might also be having some problems in the past. And do post some pictures of your BEAST.

1.7L is a good mileage the car has done check all the belts, replace diffretial and gear box fluids, bleed clutch, change wheel bearings, tighten engine mounts.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:46   #242
BHPian

Update after new rings !

The vehicle finally on road. Drove her for about 100km yest. The knock is gone.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Clapping.gif

In fact the engine noise is so greatly reduced , the gear lash sound was suddenly prominent. So got the gear oil changed to a thicker, 85w-140 differential oil. Most of the lash is gone.
the motor now sounds great now just the way it was meant to be. A speeding diesel sounds like waterfall.
Driving carefully now keeping her close to 1000 rpm most times. No sudden jerks, no revvs. Feels lot smooth now, though the real fun 'll start after the rings set in a couple of more hundred kms. A bit of carbon shall also help. nozzles were also cleaned and set up for higher pressure, that after a while shall also settle down.
So @ 95000 km begins the second innings.
The rear bushing has improved her behavior quite a bit. now the alignment and balancing ought to help further.
Spent Rs. 16715/- totally which included
1) Half engine job - one new piston , new rings , new gudgeon pins , bushes
2) Rear suspension bushing
3) all four belts changed
4) engine oil , gear oil and coolant change
5) front left winder motor , guides changed.
6) fuel lid cable changed ( it was crimped when the new front facing third row seat was bolted to the floor )

Now only thing is the rear hatch making some noise owing to rusted bottom patti. And the odd sideways juggle on broken roads at slow speeds is irritating.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 7th May 2011 at 10:57.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 11:03   #243
Senior - BHPian

@highnooon: Thanks for sharing and that's nice to know that everything is right now. Also, what is "left winder motor"?
Old 7th May 2011, 11:15   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@c10:
Nice to find another Safari owner. How much does the car has on its ODO and which model (EX or LX or the special edition) it is?

Could you mention which oil seals are you talking about? I change Diff. oil, Gear oil at every 35-40K kms.
Oil seal situated below the head and above the chamber ,, also oil seals at the cam shaft ends. Once the rubber gets hard these start leaking a bit of oil, messing up the area around. And the fourth one i do not know where is goes.
Old 7th May 2011, 11:18   #245
BHPian

Quote:
@highnooon: Thanks for sharing and that's nice to know that everything is right now. Also, what is "left winder motor"?
left power window motor. Had to procure it from CST rd, kurla. Cost Rs.500/- labour Rs.200/-
Old 7th May 2011, 11:29   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
left power window motor. Had to procure it from CST rd, kurla. Cost Rs.500/- labour Rs.200/-
The motor is rewindable, costs 150 Rs. I have done that for 2 of the motors. Although one has to replace the whole machine (rachet) if the glass has misalignment issues while the window closes..
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 12:04   #247
BHPian

winder motors & clutch cylinder kit

Quote:
The motor is rewindable, costs 150 Rs. I have done that for 2 of the motors. Although one has to replace the whole machine (rachet) if the glass has misalignment issues while the window closes..
My remaining 3 motors are also in need of service. maybe i'll go for the option. But i got the whole contraption changed in this case.
BTW i may have to replace the clutch master cylinder kit.
Morning time since getting the car back , having great difficulty slotting gears.
Can slot them from neutral without starting the vehicle.
Was briefly scared that the new thicker oil was the culprit till i checked the same without starting.
. Available in tvs & kbx. C H E A P
which one to go for any clue ?
Old 8th May 2011, 15:07   #248
Senior - BHPian

Re: winder motors & clutch cylinder kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
BTW i may have to replace the clutch master cylinder kit.
Morning time since getting the car back , having great difficulty slotting gears.
Can slot them from neutral without starting the vehicle.
Was briefly scared that the new thicker oil was the culprit till i checked the same without starting.
. Available in tvs & kbx. C H E A P
which one to go for any clue ?
Why you want to change the master cylinder kit? Some of the signs that represent that master cylinder kit is gone are:

1) The clutch pedal remains pressed and does'nt come back.

2) Leakage of oil through master or slave cylinders.

3) Clutch pedal is hard.

The harder gears are most probably due to the wrong clutch setting. Otherwise, first try and bleed the clutch and then see if it makes any difference. TVS is good. I think TASC uses TVS. The recommended clutch oil is DOT 4 I think for Safari.

Last edited by mercedised : 8th May 2011 at 15:08.
Old 9th May 2011, 02:19   #249
c10
BHPian

Quote:
@c10:

The special edition 2003 Safari came with a Fridge, Play station 2, other goodies. I am in search of such a vehicle, if you come across any them contact me Please!

Is the engine rebuilt? There is a possibility as the kms on odo were tampered the vehicle might also be having some problems in the past. And do post some pictures of your BEAST.

1.7L is a good mileage the car has done check all the belts, replace diffretial and gear box fluids, bleed clutch, change wheel bearings, tighten engine mounts.

Hi mercedised, will surely let u know if i come across the Spl Edition in BLR.

I checked with the mech again if the engine was rebuilt, he said no.. I asked if half engine has been worked upon, he said thats a possibility.

Pics will follow soon. Mech checked all Belts & said they are in very good shape, GB & diff Oils need to be replaced.

Cheers!!
Old 9th May 2011, 07:14   #250
Senior - BHPian

mercidised I think time to change the thread title from 200,000 to 2.4 L :-)
C10 you have wonderful machine why don't you start another ownership thread.

This thread will be useful to many 2.2 VTT owners as well because power windows , clutch cylinder etc are same I think.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:11   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10 View Post
Hi mercedised, will surely let u know if i come across the Spl Edition in BLR.
I checked with the mech again if the engine was rebuilt, he said no.. I asked if half engine has been worked upon, he said thats a possibility.
Thanks, half engine work could mean gasket failure. But, anyway that's very impressive, at 1.7L on the odo the engine is still stock, as most of the TCIC Safari's have problem of crankshaft noise. As amit said so start a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
mercidised I think time to change the thread title from 200,000 to 2.4 L :-)
This thread will be useful to many 2.2 VTT owners as well because power windows , clutch cylinder etc are same I think.
The power window machines are different for DICOR and TCIC. The DICOR ones cost 2500 Rs at TASC and the TCIC cost 4500 Rs (due to discontinued model). But, the best thing is that all the items of the power window machine are replacable individually, so if anything goes wrong one does'nt has to replace the whole machine. For e.g the motor of power window is rewindable, the mechanical machine has some parts like raaft which are replacable in case failure occurs. I have rewinded my powerwindows as the motors failed and each one costed only 150 Rs. Also, the Raaft (it is a vertical column on which the glass goes up and down) was changed that costed some 700 Rs each. so I don;t have to pay 4500 Rs for each machine instead I got away with three of them with just 450 Rs and last one costed 700+150 Rs.

The clutch master cylinder is too repairable, although the efiiciency will not be the same but it will do the job with 80% efficiency and I have seen some Sumos, Scorpios, taxi cars and Safaris running on repaired master\slave cylinders and running absolutely fine, cost of repairing varies from 500-1000 Rs.

Car has not been doing kms as it used to, all credit goes to the 2.2 DICOR which my brther drives, and I have been using that from some months. The Safari is resting for now. Th odo is 2,27,386 kms nearing 2.4L mark.

For the DICOR owners a good news recently when I was servicing at TASC I came across a 2.2 DICOR, it was used by some Neta and has more than what I expected... guess... guess..... it had 1.9L on the odo and when I asked the driver about the engine, he said its still stock. But, on the negative side, the car was at TASC due to some gearbox problem.

Last edited by mercedised : 9th May 2011 at 08:15.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:26   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Clutch MC - repair or replace ?

Quote:
The clutch master cylinder is too repairable, ... cost of repairing varies from 500-1000 Rs.
If the cost is 1000/-, then I will suggest getting a new one. If 500/-, then get it repaired.

But what are the effects of 80% efficiency ? How do you explain the efficiency here ?
Old 9th May 2011, 10:25   #253
Senior - BHPian

Re: Clutch MC - repair or replace ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If the cost is 1000/-, then I will suggest getting a new one. If 500/-, then get it repaired.

But what are the effects of 80% efficiency ? How do you explain the efficiency here ?
The slave clutch cylinder costs only 1100 Rs so no point of repairing it. Although I have to confirm the price of Master cylinder.

By 80% efficiency I meant that the repaired is almost as good as 80% of the new. Here, no compromise in working, it will work flawlessly but the smoothness, life, feel will be 80%..Lol....
Old 10th May 2011, 16:32   #254
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Have gone through the route of repairing the slave cylinder, the alternator, the turbo, the window winder motors, the window channels, the door latch etc, and though I did save a fine packet a that point of time on the TCIC, my long term view is that in most cases if we can afford it or if one plans to keep the car for atleast a year more then it is best to just replace the part with a new one. It saves time, effort, hearburn and money in the long run, plus the vehicle stays more reliable.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 21:04   #255
BHPian

thicker gear oil ?

Quote:
Why you want to change the master cylinder kit? Some of the signs that represent that master cylinder kit is gone are:

1) The clutch pedal remains pressed and does'nt come back.

2) Leakage of oil through master or slave cylinders.

3) Clutch pedal is hard.

The harder gears are most probably due to the wrong clutch setting. Otherwise, first try and bleed the clutch and then see if it makes any difference. TVS is good. I think TASC uses TVS. The recommended clutch oil is DOT 4 I think for Safari.
You are right. The thicker gear oil ( 85w-140 differntial oil http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...0stupid.gifwas used to get rid of the lash noise) used was the culprit. the clutch cylinder kits are ok.Simply Drained the oil and replaced with EP 90. Immediate change.
can slot gears easily now.
Besides topic , but the same thing occured in my logan as well . Had drained the gear oil and changed to 80w-90. Gears immediately became hard. correlated only after the safari fiasco. Now replaced to Mobil ATF 220. Gears immediately better if not as good as the original.
Vehicle is ok now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks