Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2010, 20:07   #166
BHPian

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for the reply. I think the problem is with your battery. I recently changed to Exide and there is no problem since then.

The dealer did not mention of any wiring kit while talking about the 100W bulb. I should get that installed while changing the headlights.

The headlight assembly was changed recently. But I think the problem started after I installed the bullbar. The throw of the light is blocked by the bullbar. Coupled with low intensity of the headlight it is almost impossible to drive the car at night if there are oncoming vehicles.

Thanks,
Suman
Old 14th August 2010, 20:19   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for the reply. I think the problem is with your battery. I recently changed to Exide and there is no problem since then.

The dealer did not mention of any wiring kit while talking about the 100W bulb. I should get that installed while changing the headlights.

The headlight assembly was changed recently. But I think the problem started after I installed the bullbar. The throw of the light is blocked by the bullbar. Coupled with low intensity of the headlight it is almost impossible to drive the car at night if there are oncoming vehicles.

Thanks,
Suman
Yes, I would replace the battery in a few days time, BTW are exide providing any 2+2 years warranty like Amaron.

Could you please post the pictures with bull-bar. No there is no need of a wiring kit. You just need:

1) 2 Chini bulb holders.

2) Headlight relay kit (just ask the dealer or automotive shop about the headlight relay kit or headlight cut-out kit.) or you can go to a local electrician and tell him to install a cut-out with 100W bulbs and chini holders. Any local electrician would know that and will do it happily.

Best of Luck.
Old 15th August 2010, 09:41   #168
BHPian

I will post the picture of the bull bar soon.

Today being independence day, all the shops are closed. I will get it installed tomorrow. Thanks for the information.

I noticed that the oil level is between min and max towards max after 6k. Is that normal? I never topped up till last oil change. In fact I don't think I ever top up, I always leave it to the service guys during interim checkup, and looks like they did not bother to do it 2-3 weeks back during the checkup (but they charged money for standard checkup, isn't it covered?).

I think the shops are closed today and I was planning for a drive today for 200-300 kms. I was wondering if it is okay to drive it with the reduced oil level without affecting anything.
Old 15th August 2010, 17:35   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I noticed that the oil level is between min and max towards max after 6k. Is that normal? I never topped up till last oil change. In fact I don't think I ever top up, I always leave it to the service guys during interim checkup, and looks like they did not bother to do it 2-3 weeks back during the checkup (but they charged money for standard checkup, isn't it covered?).
Even my car behaves the same way as you have experienced. Oil level is always alittle below the maximum mark. I never bothered about that, and the car has not given me a single problem, and I have done 2-3K trips with that oil marking and engine neither heats up nor possess any signs of abnormality. This time I had half a litre of Castrol GTX left from my last change so I topped it up and the level was at maximum. But, I donot think that it was required.

Last edited by mercedised : 15th August 2010 at 17:37.
Old 18th August 2010, 16:17   #170
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercidised you are quite safe if the oil level is between min and max. And infact it is quite ok even it the oil level drops close to the min, but it should not go below min.

I do a 1 ltr top up post every 3-4K run for prior to a full oil change at about 7K.

The Oil level between max and min is about 1.75ltrs from the max of 7.5L that the TCIC takes.

By the way Mobil delvac now has an exact 7.5 lltrs pack for 15W 40 that the Safari uses.
Old 18th August 2010, 18:01   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

The Oil level between max and min is about 1.75ltrs from the max of 7.5L that the TCIC takes.

By the way Mobil delvac now has an exact 7.5 lltrs pack for 15W 40 that the Safari uses.
Thanks for that part. I was always in a tension if the oil level drops below by a 1-2mm also. I thought it might be 1-2 ltrs of oil. But, now from here, I know that nothing is wrong with the engine.

We donot have Mobil Delvac oil available here in Indore.

P.S: At what kms do you change the oil? I change at every 7,500kms. But, as the new 2.2 VTT oil intervals are 15K kms, I am in thinking that whether it is due to increase in oil quality or engine works stress-free in 2.2. If the oil quality is increased then why should'nt be we changing the oil at 15K kms in TCIC? I have lost the manual, could you tell me what's the company recommended oil change interval.

Thanks.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:26   #172
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

for the TCIC the recommended interval is 5K,
7.5K that you do currently is fine.
I replace at 7K roughly.
The quality of oil is roughly the same, it is the engines that have gotten better, so we cannot shift to 15K kms for the TCIC
Old 19th August 2010, 22:25   #173
Senior - BHPian

@ACM: Thanks.

A few latest pictures of the beast, probably 15 days old:

Thanks,
- Abhishek.
Old 19th August 2010, 22:29   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mercedised : At what kms do you change the oil? I change at every 7,500kms.
ACM : for the TCIC the recommended interval is 5K,
@Mercedised, you are correct - Oil change interval for TCIC safari is at 7500km, though service interval is at 5000km.

The newer TCIC's need oil change at 10,000 km. Service interval remains at 5000km.
Old 26th August 2010, 20:37   #175
BHPian

The oil change interval as printed in my TCIC is 8k. Although I change it around 6k.

I recently changed to Castrol Magnatec 10W40 semi-synthetic. There is no API rating for the oil and seems like the same oil may be used in petrol and diesel engines. Is it okay to keep using this oil or should I change to something else (a loss of 2400)?

Also, I am having constant problems with the headlight, it is hardly useful. I changed to OSRAM nightbreaker at close to 900 per piece recently and re-focused the headlights, but it is not at all helpful. I think the bull bar might be the problem. Any suggestions? Don't want to spend on Hella.
Old 26th August 2010, 20:51   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

@Suman, why do you think the bull-bar can interfere with the h/l ? Get the wiring checked once.

Incidentally, I'm facing a similar problem. I have 90/100's, and I have tried Philips & Bosch bulbs (both regular). But often I find the lighting hardly there. Especially if there is some lighting on the roads (normal street lights). Truck's at servicing, so have asked for it to be checked.

Reg oil, I am getting Mobil Delvac this time. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:37   #177
BHPian

I checked the wiring and it is good. I also replaced one bulb holder with a ceramic one.

I have a wide "end-to-end" bull bar that also protects the headlight. There are three thin bars in front of the headlight. Ideally this should not be a problem since there are a number of cars with bull bars installed.

If not bull bar, it might be a problem with focusing. It did help when I got it adjusted last week. Today I again went to the same shop for adjusting, but the result is worse than earlier, hardly anything is visible. I will go there tomorrow again.

I tried Mobil something at 78k. The engine is super smooth if you have mobil. Not sure of the exact brand as the oil was changed at authorized workshop.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:47   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a similar bull-bar : two thin bars across the head-lamps. Ceramic holders, 200w relay. I'm wondering if I should go for a higher capacity relay.

Focussing looks ok since I get a decently formed cut-off beam : something like \__..\__ - though the incline of the slanting part is much less than I can show it here.
Old 26th August 2010, 22:11   #179
Senior - BHPian

@suman:

IMO the focusing of your H\L is the culprit here. Firstly, get the High beam (the pencil beam) light set for long distant vision and then get the low beam H\L set for closer vision.

P.S.: If you want then I can post pictures of my car's light at night this way you will understand what's the culprit more easily but you will have to wait for tomorrow for that.

@condor: You own a Sumo AFAIK. So, just get the H\L focused properly, there is no second opinion to that.

Last edited by mercedised : 26th August 2010 at 22:14.
Old 26th August 2010, 22:15   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedised, it's a H4 - single bulb. How can you focus them seperately ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks