Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2011, 12:35   #316
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The front wiper motors are available for Rs. 3700ish plus labor. But availability is an issue, so I got it exchanged at a road side shop. You would not believe teh amount of debris that gets collected near the wiper motor, the only way to clean it I guess would be to remove the panel which is never done. The debris collect water and eventually create issues with the motor. In my case the motor was not even repairable.

I am using Michelin A/T tires for quite some time now. The tires are great, and provides with great traction over sand, stone, loose big stone and debris, mud etc.

Where do we get tire protector?
michelin latitude cross -225/70/r15 . Very wide shoulder but very shallow tread. can this be used in the tcic instead of 235/75/r15 ?
By the way MRF Wanderer 215/75/r15 also have a very wide track, can they not be used instead of stock size. Vehicle doesnt get any younger and from here on i dont expect great use or mileage out of it. Seems a waste putting more money. when the tyre seems good enough and the load index is 100t instead of 105. Will it make earth shattering diff. in real world sedate road driving ?
About the wiper motor assembly , unreal amount of debris inside the plastic hood. plastics have become so brittle. its difficult to put anything back in one piece. I serviced it at my road side electricians shop. Cleaned greased etc. But after windshield washer spray , it doesnt come back to parking position on its own.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:27   #317
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
michelin latitude cross -225/70/r15 . Very wide shoulder but very shallow tread. can this be used in the tcic instead of 235/75/r15 ?
By the way MRF Wanderer 215/75/r15 also have a very wide track, can they not be used instead of stock size. Vehicle doesnt get any younger and from here on i dont expect great use or mileage out of it. Seems a waste putting more money. when the tyre seems good enough and the load index is 100t instead of 105. Will it make earth shattering diff. in real world sedate road driving ?
Stick to stock! 235/75R15 is optimal. a 225/70 or 215/75 will be a smaller tyre resulting in reduced ground clearance, lower top speed, unsure handling and reduced mileage as there will be more revolutions of the engine to cover the same distance. In any case a 215 or a 225 cannot have a wider track then a 235. Am quite sure you'll have economical options available in the stock size too.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 19:11   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Stick to stock! 235/75R15 is optimal. a 225/70 or 215/75 will be a smaller tyre resulting in reduced ground clearance, lower top speed, unsure handling and reduced mileage as there will be more revolutions of the engine to cover the same distance. In any case a 215 or a 225 cannot have a wider track then a 235. Am quite sure you'll have economical options available in the stock size too.
Hi Adi,
I was hoping that i would manage to lower the ht. of vehicle , also save some money upfront and FE would increase rather than other way round.
Narrower track means less traction less rolling resistence , maybe reduced grip levels, also lower tyre weight. thought that ought to up the efficiency.
It would mean speedo error but i drive quite lightly for max. fuel efficiency anyway. If one is to compensate for the 4% odd error. for example if i strive too drive at 60/70 on the fifth , i simply drive at 55/65 on the fifth.

I would have to spend 25 k on all fours after discount for old tyres using stock size.
The smaller 215/75/r15 costs a mere 5000/- after salvage for each tyre.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 12th September 2011 at 19:12.
Old 12th September 2011, 20:40   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
In any case a 215 or a 225 cannot have a wider track then a 235. .
Not quite. The difference in actual footprint width between the 235's and 215's is only 12 mm or so, and not 20mm (as the numbers would otherwise indicate).

Also, the 215/75 R15 MRF Wanderers are actually as wide as the 235's from other brands.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 21:45   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not quite. The difference in actual footprint width between the 235's and 215's is only 12 mm or so, and not 20mm (as the numbers would otherwise indicate).

Also, the 215/75 R15 MRF Wanderers are actually as wide as the 235's from other brands.
+exactly what my observation was. It ( MRF WANDERER ) is wide shouldered a bit squarish. Tyre looks robust and good enough for 2/3 years if not more.

215 MM shoulder width
75% of 215 as the height = 161.25 mm ht ( so overall outer dia would be smaller than the 235 one )
r-15
.Thats exactly what i thought when i was having look at different tyres.
that this 215 wanderer looks a credible option to the stock size.
i actually held the tyres side by side to check the diffference.
I may be wrong here , but i feel in real world it would be quite ok to use this tyre.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:33   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I may be wrong here , but i feel in real world it would be quite ok to use this tyre.
It gives a wider footprint width without increasing the section height. But have not been able to drive & check the advantages / dis-advantages
Old 12th September 2011, 22:35   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+exactly what my observation was. It ( MRF WANDERER ) is wide shouldered a bit squarish. Tyre looks robust and good enough for 2/3 years if not more.

215 MM shoulder width
75% of 215 as the height = 161.25 mm ht ( so overall outer dia would be smaller than the 235 one )
r-15
.Thats exactly what i thought when i was having look at different tyres.
that this 215 wanderer looks a credible option to the stock size.
i actually held the tyres side by side to check the diffference.
It also depends alot on load, the manufacturers decide the recommended tyres on the basis of load sharing, suspension and other tid-bits. It will have tobe taken into consideration while deciding a smaller tyre as the length of the sidewall might have adhere affect on the ride characteristics (shorter it is bumpier will the ride gets).
Old 12th September 2011, 22:57   #323
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
I would have to spend 25 k on all fours after discount for old tyres using stock size.
The smaller 215/75/r15 costs a mere 5000/- after salvage for each tyre.
While I see the economics for doing it, the price difference in exchange for existing tyres will not be so significant even for 235s. You might just get a good set of 5 tyres at the used-tyre dealer too. The speedo error is the least of your worries. With such a behemoth you don't want to reduce the contact patch width or clearance and end up with higher revs for same speeds. If you want to clearly save money check out some good options in 7.00x15 (a jeep option). This will be much cheaper and atleast maintain the same height. In 235s the JK Brute 4x4 tyres are pretty decent for the price you'll get them. Look them up.

Quote:
Perceptibly maybe. I think I have seen the Wanderers in that size on a Bolero and they seem to be visually smaller than the 235s from all angles.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 23:54   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Not perceptibly. Do measure it. The Wanderers have a wider width. Here's the schematic comparing the section of these tyres:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...wanderers.html
Old 14th September 2011, 21:10   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
It also depends alot on load, the manufacturers decide the recommended tyres on the basis of load sharing, suspension and other tid-bits. It will have tobe taken into consideration while deciding a smaller tyre as the length of the sidewall might have adhere affect on the ride characteristics (shorter it is bumpier will the ride gets).
the weight quotient is 105t for the stock tyre and 100 for the 215/75/r15. Does it make that much difference ?
see things cancel each other out and ultimately economy ( upfront cost ) remains.
following factors-
1) as condor pointed out , tyre has very wide track. so grip levels oughtt to be decent.
2) lowering height of the vehicle, may improve / reduce the rolling / sideways movement on the tread.
3) shorter new tyre with softer sides means softer ride and not bumpier.
4) The characterstic of this tyre to its full effect for the first 2 years most probly be better than say 3/4 th year on the stock tyre. When i definietly would not keep vehicle that long. Dont need to spend a few thousands more for the future buyer., do i ?
5) the lesser traction / rolling resistence and lower weight of the smaller tyres may nullify the the so called more tyre revolutions needed to travel the same distance theory.
I am personally not very convinced about this anyway , anyway, by that logic- using 16 " instead of 15" tyres would increase the fuel economy? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
I just got a feeling it would increase the FE and not otherwise. I also suspect the tyre may not last as much as the stock one , but going ahead the vehicle is not going to see big numbers aor be retained that long where it could be an issue anyway.
Its only because of i dont want to risk highway on a high perched vehicle shod with 4 yr old tyres with tread depth very good but has become hard and is cracking a bit.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 14th September 2011 at 21:14.
Old 14th September 2011, 21:18   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Not perceptibly. Do measure it. The Wanderers have a wider width. Here's the schematic comparing the section of these tyres:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...wanderers.html
I have seen 4 of them - jk , wanderers , ceat , bridgestone next to each other. wanderer 'looked' tougher wider. In fact i actually checked the 215/75/r15 wanderer with jk & bridgestone 235/75/r15. Looks smaller in diameter but nothing else much.
Only problem seems like there is more compound in the larger one , which could be a factor for longevity.....
Old 14th September 2011, 23:15   #327
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
4) The characterstic of this tyre to its full effect for the first 2 years most probly be better than say 3/4 th year on the stock tyre. When i definietly would not keep vehicle that long. Dont need to spend a few thousands more for the future buyer., do i ?
5) the lesser traction / rolling resistence and lower weight of the smaller tyres may nullify the the so called more tyre revolutions needed to travel the same distance theory.
I am personally not very convinced about this anyway , anyway, by that logic- using 16 " instead of 15" tyres would increase the fuel economy?
I just got a feeling it would increase the FE and not otherwise. I also suspect the tyre may not last as much as the stock one , but going ahead the vehicle is not going to see big numbers aor be retained that long where it could be an issue anyway.
Its only because of i dont want to risk highway on a high perched vehicle shod with 4 yr old tyres with tread depth very good but has become hard and is cracking a bit.
Few things:
1) If you put smaller tyres, the next buyer is going to negotiate that out of you and will pay lesser than for a vehicle with newer/stock tyres and you may lose more than what you save today
2) Lesser resistance and lower weight may not compensate for the ~4% drop in distance covered per revolution in a 215 v/s 235
3) A 16" rim size at no time ensures a better fuel economy than 15" rims unless you take the tyre profile into account also.

While I feel you've made up your mind about the 215s I'd suggest you reconsider!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 15th September 2011, 16:21   #328
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari 3.0 DICOR (burnt) Spare-parts needed!

Hello bhpians,

Due to a short circuit in the engine bay, the vehicle Tata Safari DICOR 3.0 caught fire and whole of the engine bay has burnt. Now I have sourced most of the parts except these two:

Bosch MAF (mass air flow) Sensor Part Number: 269915409949

Engine bay wiring loom Part Number: 269954629950

Both the parts in TASS are costing 18-20K INR.

I need immediate help in finding these parts from outside (whether used or new). Any of the bhpian if know a shop in their respective cities from where I would be able to find these two parts, kindly give me the contact details Please!!

@mods: Please bear if a existing threads about spare parts already exist, I really need immediate help and thus created a separate thread.

NOTE: Anyone with a Safari DICOR 3.0 if could confirm the part numbers are correct or not?

Last edited by mercedised : 15th September 2011 at 16:22.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:50   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari 3.0 DICOR (burnt) Spare-parts needed!

meerut, perhaps?
you can get anything at the auto-mandi, so to speak.
slight distance issue from indore, and cost is also not quite that much to warrant a trip.
anyway, back of mind perhaps.

nocontact details as such, though a few people have listed their business in gooogle.
you could look it up and call.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:55   #330
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari 3.0 DICOR (burnt) Spare-parts needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
meerut, perhaps?
you can get anything at the auto-mandi, so to speak.
slight distance issue from indore, and cost is also not quite that much to warrant a trip.
anyway, back of mind perhaps.

nocontact details as such, though a few people have listed their business in gooogle.
you could look it up and call.
Meerut, Thanks for that. What is this auto-mandi? All the parts that I have sourced till now are from Delhi Mayapuri. All hopes towards MEERUT, now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks