Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 18:25   #196
BHPian

Your front got saved due to the bullbar looks like. On a similar crash in a safari, the expense was close to 45k.
Old 18th October 2010, 21:07   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Your front got saved due to the bullbar looks like. On a similar crash in a safari, the expense was close to 45k.
Yes, you're right. But the bull bar is now touching the front mudguard and now a tension of how to remove bull bar has raised in my mind.
Old 6th November 2010, 19:51   #198
Senior - BHPian

The first tobe called as any type of breakdown faced. the clutch oil was leaking and me in the middle of trip (business, and just 30kms till I started from my home town). The clutch was fully de-pressurized and pressed inside and has no affect of pressing and depressing, no matter how many times we do it. And as being Diwali all the shops were closed, no luck to get clutch oil. Found a petrol bunk and got 'Brake fluid' filled it in place of clutch oil and then on topping it up every 5-10 kms, reached home safely.

Tomorrow being Sunday, all mechanics and TASS are closed. Will go to TASS on Monday. Could anybody suspect the cause?
Old 6th November 2010, 21:53   #199
BHPian

You might want to change the master cylinder and slave cylinder. It would cost around 4k.

I would be interested to know the cost for steering column change. I think I might need to do the same, but TASS has quoted 8k and a lead time. There is some sound when I turn the steering.
Old 6th November 2010, 22:18   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might want to change the master cylinder and slave cylinder. It would cost around 4k.

I would be interested to know the cost for steering column change. I think I might need to do the same, but TASS has quoted 8k and a lead time. There is some sound when I turn the steering.
Are those the cylinders which are leaking oil? 4K looks tobe a BIG BANG on my pocket. The steering column of my bike is absolutely right, no problems with it, no shaking nothing at all. Better visit a local mechanic and ask him about any adjustments.
Old 6th November 2010, 22:28   #201
BHPian

I think you need to change these cylinders if it is leaking oil, unless there is some leakage in the channel. I replaced both the cylinders. It is hard to find these outside, so it would be better to get it replaced at TASS.

I think I noticed in one of your posts that you did some work with steering column. The TASS said that the bearings are sealed, so the entire assembly needs to be replaced. But 8k is a huge amount.
Old 6th November 2010, 22:37   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you need to change these cylinders if it is leaking oil, unless there is some leakage in the channel. I replaced both the cylinders. It is hard to find these outside, so it would be better to get it replaced at TASS.

I think I noticed in one of your posts that you did some work with steering column. The TASS said that the bearings are sealed, so the entire assembly needs to be replaced. But 8k is a huge amount.
For now everything is secret. Nothing known, as the TASS is closed for today and tomorrow. So, fingers crossed till Monday. Thanks for the information anyway.

Yes, the 'central link' of the steering was changed for me. It costed 3000 Rs. BTW, why you want to change the steering column? I mean any particular reason? If necessary try and find a DICOR steering column at scrap shop. Some in my city have done adjustments and have fitted DICOR steering column purchased from scrap shop in replacement for some 2-4K Rs.
Old 7th November 2010, 10:54   #203
BHPian

There is some noise when I turn the steering. Otherwise it is absolutely tight and no other issues. TASS said it was an issue with one of the sealed bearings. What could be the potential problem? I was wondering what problem did you have so that you had to replace the central link.

What is the advantage of fitting a dicor steering column?
Old 7th November 2010, 11:27   #204
Senior - BHPian

Update on clutch issue:

I had a look underneath the car, the oil was leaking from somewhere near the front gearbox or can say clutch case. It is clutch oil, infact. Any guesses?

Quote:
There is some noise when I turn the steering. Otherwise it is absolutely tight and no other issues. TASS said it was an issue with one of the sealed bearings. What could be the potential problem? I was wondering what problem did you have so that you had to replace the central link.

What is the advantage of fitting a dicor steering column?
The steering has alot of looseness especially at high speeds it was damn difficult to control the car. So the central link changed, whereas I asked them to change tie-rod ends.

Which type of sound are you talking about, my car makes a hissing sound. and a Klank sound while full turn.

I donot know the advantage but as it is newer there might be additions to make the steering feel much better.
Old 12th November 2010, 21:40   #205
Senior - BHPian

Update on clutch issue:

Master cylinder changed, cost 1100 Rs including labour.

A new problem occurred:

The self slips sometimes, I mean the self works but sometimes the engine doesnot rotate with the self. I have to give a 2nd try to start engine, this happens only sometimes.

Thanks.
Old 12th January 2011, 16:44   #206
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Timing Belt, Gear oil, Differential oil, Propeller shaft cross, other minor things replaced today at TASC, the car was with SC for 2 days. Cost of bill 5400 Rs.
Old 16th January 2011, 21:26   #207
Senior - BHPian

Finished front doors DAMPING of my Safari today. Materials used were:

1) Fevicol SR998 (140 INR for 1\2 liter)

2) -100 grit Sandpaper (2 Rs each, 5 of them)

3) Yogamat (one used, specs are 5x2.5 feet, costed 350 Rs)

4) Paint Brush

5) Cloth washing brush (for washing the door pads).

6) Door clips

The result is good I must say that the front is almost noise and rattle less. There are some squeaks which would be taken care of. I did'nt do the rear as the time taken for front door pads (with fitement) was some 5-6 hrs and I was damn tired. Would have done the rear and doors tomorrow but I have to go out of station. Will finish the rest work as I come.

Pictures are as below in sequential order:

1) After removing, see how dirty is it:

2) Essentials like door light and speaker removed for washing the door pad:

3) Door pad washed and than allowed to dry in sun:

4) After damping:

Thanks.
Old 14th February 2011, 21:40   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi Condor,

second set of FE numbers - 410 km in 41.4 lit of normal diesel IOC with 1 - 40 ml pouch of ADDON & 60 ml pouch of 2T oil.
Combination of highway driving 80/100 kmph 60% full ac full load and 40% in mumbai traffic.
Latest FE numbers - shade over 10 kmpl in city ( atleast 60 km daily commute - 30 km in serious to moderate traffic and 30 km for the ideal speed run from the stretch between priyadarshini and vashi. )

Last trip to Goa got 12.5 kmpl including express highway run till belgaum and the horrendous slow grind thru bad roads after that including the anmod ghat for the last 2 / 3 hrs.
Barring that i think she ought to give upto 15 kmpl on the express way alone.
Old 14th February 2011, 23:49   #209
Senior - BHPian

Got the rear coil springs of the car changed, one of them broke while I hit a speed breaker at 80kmph with 7 adults in the car. Both the springs costed some 3600 Rs. Now, the car runs like a Volvo.

On the recent Rameshwaram trip of 6000kms the car returned 13.5 kmpl over all average. With 14-15kmpl extracted 2 times on FULL to FULL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Latest FE numbers - shade over 10 kmpl in city ( atleast 60 km daily commute - 30 km in serious to moderate traffic and 30 km for the ideal speed run from the stretch between priyadarshini and vashi. )

Last trip to Goa got 12.5 kmpl including express highway run till belgaum and the horrendous slow grind thru bad roads after that including the anmod ghat for the last 2 / 3 hrs.
Barring that i think she ought to give upto 15 kmpl on the express way alone.
I am expecting a thorough review of your car. I am waiting.
Old 18th February 2011, 20:22   #210
BHPian

sHALL post it asap.. been busy last year.
Have got a third line of front facing seats some time back.
Happy with FE numbers. Small niggles here and there. Basically suspension related. Very cheap to fix. Biggest expense after the FIP overhaul has been front suspension bushes changed and 2 steering cross bearings changed , way cheaper than even my accent.
Spares are like cheaper than a sedan in most cases.
Vehicle pickup is excellent even under load, no sign of loss of compression , starts in half start even in last relatively colder dec.
Latest odo reading is 93790 km.
On the problem front-
irritating tappet like noise. ( got tappet clearance checked no issue there, nozzles also ruled out)
the noise seems to have increased lately. Some well known jeep guy suggested a stuck piston .
I may just have the head opened to check.
Lately driving the logan primarily so the safari issue is not priority, but i cant stand the noise.
I added a cyclo premium engine oil treatment a week back just as last resort before the head work. And it seems to have made the thing feel noticeably smoother and quieter too.
The sound earlier used to quieten after long drives, now seems to have e reversed. or does not dampen after warming up if not outright increase.
Any ideas if the usual suspects are ruled out for this type of noise ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks