Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 13:42   #181
BHPian

re: White Toyota Fortuner TRD- Trotting along past 55,000 Kms.

I have written a reply to Navanshu asking him for some more details, the email is reproduced below in bold:

Ive also written to Toyota asking for clarity on the issue. Will let u know as soon as i know anything. A number of other Fortuner owners are keenly following this by the way. I have even posted on the wall of the Facebook Toyota Fortuner page and customer care also asking for an explanation.

It would be a great help if you would shed some clarity on the circumstances of the incident also. (speed of car, condition of road..tarmac/slush etc, transmission ..4H, 4HL etc, present mileage, last serviced?)

Also an accurate description of the whole incident will be helpful.
What did the steering feel like, were the brakes locked?

By the way have you taken the vehicle offroad into water and slush? and if yes did u get the propeller shaft (rear and front) bearings greasing done afterwards?

All the best!

The reason i am deviating from the original purpose of my thread is because this is a very serious issue for ALL Fortuner owners. I dont want this story to die out till we have some clarity on why and how this happened.

I hope the Moderators will not mind.
Old 14th August 2011, 23:29   #182
Senior - BHPian

Great thread Manuuj; And to think of it that I bumped into it only AFTER purchasing the Falcon (My T-Fort) is a crime. Should have got here earlier. Anyways better late than never. Keep it coming mate...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 13:56   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Great thread Manuuj; And to think of it that I bumped into it only AFTER purchasing the Falcon (My T-Fort) is a crime. Should have got here earlier. Anyways better late than never. Keep it coming mate...
Hi there dkaile!! great too see you here finally! You are right..better late than never! I will keep the updates coming on the Fortuner and the issue mentioned earlier as and when there i have any new information.

How are you enjoying Falcon? Any special trips during the long weekend break? I dont know if u got a fender mirror installed on it..do get it its a great help in tight situations.

All the best!
Old 16th August 2011, 14:04   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
How are you enjoying Falcon? Any special trips during the long weekend break? I dont know if u got a fender mirror installed on it..do get it its a great help in tight situations.

All the best!
Thank you Manuuj. It's an absolute delight of a vehicle as with all Toyotas. Trouble-free and efficient. Though I would have liked to see a high end ICE plugged into it, but for now I am keeping it absolute stock. No trips planned in next few days but it is asking me to cruise soon... Will keep you updated.
Old 16th August 2011, 16:42   #185
BHPian

With regard to the Fortuner Wheels Jamming Breakdown:

A reply i have received from Toyota Fortuner on facebook is given below:

Quote:
Hi Manuj, please provide the correct link on our wall. We will certainly look into it and get back to you. We assure you that all of our cars go through teh most stringent quality tests before they are rolled out to dealerships. You can also get in touch with us at http://bit.ly/ToyotaContac​t for a speedy response.
My response:

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/fo​rum...203;ation.html

This is the link as requested. Sorry for the incorrect link provided before.
As i said i have a lot of faith in Toyota products and over the last few years have only bought Toyotas I just want to know what the reason for this "freak" mishap was. It may have been owner error and if so just want to know what it was so i do not make the same mistake..i have written to the customer care at Toyota also but have had no response. As this is a safety issue, and i have 2 Fortuners in my family, I request for an urgent resolution to this matter.
Shall keep everyone updated on any developments
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 19:08   #186
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manuuj,

Few queries I wanted to ask you -

1. How is your Bosch Aquatak 100 working? Any issues? Could you give me the name of some Ajmeri Gate dealer that you know of where I can pick it up for 5~7K, if you know someone? Someone even mentioned that he picked it up for 5.5K directly from some Bosch dealer in Coimbatore.
2. My 1st service is on the anvil. Did you get your engine oil changed at 1st service or before 10k km mark? Any other things to keep in mind for 1st service?
3. If you could PM me your no./email so that we can remain in touch.
4. Also you had mentioned that Fortuner ICE of Kaska type quality is available in grey market for around 20K. Any references for that in Karol Bagh/Lajpat Nagar? I am thinking of procuring Kaska/MMI type ICE from a friend who goes regularly to China and he showed me the system he fitted in his Polo in which MMI maps worked perfectly (on sd card) and which he procured for just 15K from there, and looked and felt just like the Kaska/MMI system which they retail for around 40K.

Thanks in advance...
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:27   #187
BHPian

The Fortuner completed 40,000 kms on the 29th of September 2011 about 2 months shy of it 2nd birthday.

What a pleasure this car has been.

Not a single niggle or breakdown in two years! The brakes were an issue earlier but since TKM replaced the Brake assembly with uprated Discs and Pads stopping is not a problem at all.

The 40k service was carried out as usual at Galaxy Toyota, Motinagar which in my view is one of the best Toyota dealerships in the country.

The total cost of service was Rs. 5825/-.

These are the jobs carried out:

1.The Engine Oil and Engine Oil Filter was changed.

2.The Differential Oil was changed in front and rear differentials.

3.The Brake fluid was drained and replaced

4. Window Washer fluid added

5.The propeller shaft greasing was done in all 6 points (as mentioned by Guderian)

6. The Wheel alignment and Balancing was carried out on my request

7. AC filter and Air Filter cleaned

8. Front and Rear Brake Discs/Drums and Pads checked for wear and cleaned.

9.Nuts and Bolts checked and tightened if necessary.

10.Double underbody wash (on my request)

11.Interior and exterior washed and cleaned by the "Vanar Sena"

As a matter of curiosity before the service had started i asked one of the junior technicians if there is any greasing carried out on the propeller shaft and if so why and at what interval?

His answer was concise "Haan ji , Har Dus Hazaar pe shuft greejing karte hain" - "Yes the propeller shaft greasing is done every 10,000 kilometers"

Boy was i relieved! I had this nasty doubt in my mind that this had never been carried out on my vehicle. I was happy to note that even a junior tech was aware of when and where the greasing was to be carried out.

The why of it was left unanswered by him and i did not bother him with those details either.

But just to be sure i have asked them to pull out the service records of my Fortuner and show me where the technician has noted on each 10k service job card that the propeller shaft greasing has been carried out.

I have given them a week to produce these papers.

I also filed an informal verbal complaint with the Service Head about the condition of the Grease Gun Equipment which seems to not be functioning very well.

Rest all was very satisfactory. The vehicle is performing very well in all respects.

The brake pads were half worn and good for another 20,000 kms atleast as are the tyres.

The only department that I am unhappy with on my Fortuner is the Paint Quality. That is my one big grouse.

The paint chips and scratches way to easily.

I am attaching some pics for illustrative purposes and other general pics of my Fortuner at 40,000 kms and (almost) 2 years of ownership.

A front view of the Fortuner:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-fortuner-front-view.jpg

A rear View of the Fortuner:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-fortuner-rear-view.jpg

A view of the interiors from the back seat:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-full-interior-front.jpg

The meters at 40,094 kms:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-meters.jpg

Object in the rear view: mine is the batch of Fortuners with the incorrect grammar!

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-object-rear.jpg

Music System was upgraded to the Pioneer P4250 DVD a while ago

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-music-sysytem.jpg

Rear Camera View was the main reason for this. A real boon while reversing in any situation.. Highly recommended!

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-rear-camera-view.jpg

A view of the powerplant, noisy but powerful and ultra reliable!

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-engine-bay.jpg

The Fortuner has more cleaning aids than i have in my shower cabinet!

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-cleaning-aids.jpg

My Alma Mater: Bishop Cotton School, Simla.

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-bcs.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:45   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
The Fortuner completed 40,000 kms on the 29th of September 2011 about 2 months shy of it 2nd birthday.
Fantastic 40K Report Manuuj!

May I ask -
1. The source and cost of the 2 extra chrome rings on the Instrument Panel? Their quality and finish?
2. Cost of the Pioneer? Its sound quality? Any changes to the stock speakers? What about the Steering Controls? Do they work with the Pioneer or have become redundant? How many cm's is the Pioneer sticking out? A side profile photo please.
3. I see some peeling paint near the lower boot lid. The cause is luggage stowage or something else?

That sure is a collection of some cleaning aids btw!!
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:23   #189
BHPian

Re: White Toyota Fortuner TRD - 40,000 kms Update

In my earlier post i mentioned that the only grouse i have with the Fortuner is the paint quality.

It chips and scratches way to easily even though i use only chamois leather and Microfibre cloths to keep it clean and shiny.

These scratches are hard to see from far but upon closer inspection are quite plain to see and a real eyesore.

Fender Cladding scuff marks from far:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-scuff-marks-cladding.jpg

Fender Cladding scuff marks from near:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-scuff-marks-clad-close.jpg

Bonnet chip caused by a flying pebble:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-bonnrt-paint-chip.jpg

Another chip same reason and result:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-bonnet-paint-chip-2.jpg

Scuff marks on front fenders:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-scuff-marks-fender.jpg

Alloy wheels have some battle scars also:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-wheel-scratches.jpg

Front door came back with this small but deep scratch from Valet parking at some party i attended at a friends farm. I only noticed it the next morning much to my chagrin.

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-front-door-deep-scratch.jpg

Tyre tread at 40,000 kms:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-tyre-treadat-40k.jpg

Can easily do another 25,000 kms on these. Not bad for a vehicle of this weight:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-tyre-tread-2.jpg

Emblems can gather dust and can be hard to clean. Use a ear bud for best results..just make sure no on is looking. :-P

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-rear-door-emblem.jpg

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-full-time-4wd.jpg

The weak "peep peep" horn of the Fortuner has been replaced by a quite powerful Roots set that has a Benz like "PAARRRPP" sound.

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-roots-horn-1.jpg

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-roots-horn-2.jpg

Some scrathches have been caused by minor bumps and shunts which is a normal reality of driving in Delhi.This rear shunt happened when the camera in the bumper had not been installed as the Music System upgrade had not yet taken place and the switch for the sensors was off.

I think the sensors should be designed in such a way that they come on automatically when the vehicle is put in reverse, much like the reversing lights.

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-rear-bumper-scratches.jpg

The front Shunt was due to an overzealous chap on a motorbike trying to cut across on a red light just as i engaged first gear and the car had started moving ahead! What his maddening hurry was to risk life and limb in such a way I'll never know!!

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-front-overider-dent.jpg

This one has been caused by some jealous idiot with a key in his hand:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-bonnet-key-scratch.jpg

The ever smiling grill of the Fortuner:

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-smiling-grill.jpg

Service with a smile the Toyota motto!

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-service-smile.jpg

I look forward to a million happy miles with this Fortuner and even though my Avatar photo might have changed to our latest acquisition, the Bentley GT, the Fortuner will always have a special place in my heart!

Last edited by Manuuj : 2nd October 2011 at 19:34.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:46   #190
Senior - BHPian

^
Bring it down to Meerut and I will get the bumpers and fenders painted by my expert painter for less than 5K. People will not be even be able to tell it's not original. Trust me, he did my 7 year old Corolla's both bumpers for 3K and no one could tell it's not original paint along with clear et al.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:54   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manuuj,

Few queries I wanted to ask you -

1. How is your Bosch Aquatak 100 working? Any issues? Could you give me the name of some Ajmeri Gate dealer that you know of where I can pick it up for 5~7K, if you know someone? Someone even mentioned that he picked it up for 5.5K directly from some Bosch dealer in Coimbatore.

2. My 1st service is on the anvil. Did you get your engine oil changed at 1st service or before 10k km mark? Any other things to keep in mind for 1st service?
3. If you could PM me your no./email so that we can remain in touch.
4. Also you had mentioned that Fortuner ICE of Kaska type quality is available in grey market for around 20K. Any references for that in Karol Bagh/Lajpat Nagar? I am thinking of procuring Kaska/MMI type ICE from a friend who goes regularly to China and he showed me the system he fitted in his Polo in which MMI maps worked perfectly (on sd card) and which he procured for just 15K from there, and looked and felt just like the Kaska/MMI system which they retail for around 40K.

Thanks in advance...
Quote:
Fantastic 40K Report Manuuj!

May I ask -
1. The source and cost of the 2 extra chrome rings on the Instrument Panel? Their quality and finish?
2. Cost of the Pioneer? Its sound quality? Any changes to the stock speakers? What about the Steering Controls? Do they work with the Pioneer or have become redundant? How many cm's is the Pioneer sticking out? A side profile photo please.
3. I see some peeling paint near the lower boot lid. The cause is luggage stowage or something else?

That sure is a collection of some cleaning aids btw!!
1. I do not have the name of the Chawri Bazaar dealer anymore Dkaile but its very easy to find. As soon as you enter Chawri Bazaar from the metro station you will find yourself opposite a Mosque.
Turn left and walk towards the entrance to Chawri Bazaar and you will see this Board that says BOSCH on your right hand side after you have walked about about 50 meters.

2. Its a good idea to get the Oil and Oil filter changed at the first service.

3. I shall PM you my details.

4. The ICE i upgraded to was the pioneer P4250 DVD and i am very happy with it. The whole cost including the camera and steering control jack was 25 K approximately. Details are available in my earlier posts.

The system is pretty flush with the dash and looks very natural there. Even the illumination options allow for the backlighting to be matched to the green lighting of the MID and AC of the Fortuner. This makes it look like a factory fitted piece rather than an aftermarket option.

The system does not stick out much, maybe half a cm and is very easy to operate.

5.The Steering controls work perfectly as before.

No changes to stock speakers was required at all. Their sound output and quality has improved considerably over the stock system.

The added feature of the Rear View Camera is a real boon and reason enough to upgrade to this system

6. I got it from a company called Expert in Karol Bagh and he is the main distributor in Delhi for these kind of things. Infact most other shopkeepers buy from him only. This is where the helper of the shop is sent to when they say "We have it in stock..he will just go and get it from the Godown"
;-)

Expert Trading Company
2281, Abdul Aziz Road, 69, Naiwala, Karol Bagh, Karol Bagh, New Delhi, Delhi 110005
011-2586 0251

7. The rear bumper scratches would not have occoured if i had this system installed as soon as i had bought the vehicle. My above post explains the same. I had reversed into a low wall that i could not see and the switch for the reverse sensors was off. The camera would have prevented that.

8. The chrome rings cost under a 1000 rupees and are available at Toyota dealerships. This came pre-fitted in my car.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Manuuj : 2nd October 2011 at 20:09.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:07   #192
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manuuj,
As ever a delightful report !
Of course I have yet to get over the mental tumult caused by your change of the avatar snap.

About the touch/patch up on all those scratches - just come down to Mumbai - I have the Toyota white (exact match) paint pen and I'll do it for free.
Sorry dkaile to have burst your bubble.

All the snaps are also delightful.

For a moment after I saw the scratches on the rear bumper I thought dkaile's Labby boy (Chewbacca) had paid you a visit.

Have a zillion fun filled miles ahead with utter peace of mind. Which I, sir, am quite sure no Bentley-Shently of the world can give you...
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:31   #193
BHPian

Hey Manuuj bhai!
Congratulations..! And Celebrations..!

40K is one major Landmark for the Fortuner.
If I'm not wrong, your car is the only one on this Forum, that has achieved this milestone!

To confess here on your thread, your (and Nilanjan Ray's) ownership experiences of this amazing car has been a stepping stone towards realizing my dream of owning one. Thanks for sharing!

cheers
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:36   #194
BHPian

Quote:
^
Bring it down to Meerut and I will get the bumpers and fenders painted by my expert painter for less than 5K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Manuuj,
As ever a delightful report !
About the touch/patch up on all those scratches - just come down to Mumbai - I have the Toyota white (exact match) paint pen and I'll do it for free.
Have a zillion fun filled miles ahead with utter peace of mind. Which I, sir, am quite sure no Bentley-Shently of the world can give you...
Thank you dkaile and Herr General for the gracious invitations!!

I saw how well you touched up Admiral after its unfortunate incident with the "BEST" of Mumbai! I must say it was a very commendable job!!

dkaile the Falcon seems to be recuperating well also. Must say Chewbacca sure has some expensive chew toys! Most pets have to be content with rubber balls and ducks!

General Saab peace of mind is one thing the Bentley was never designed to provide but makes up for it with the way it can get a man's (or woman's) heart racing..just standing still. Hahaha!

As i said earlier the Fortuner will always have a special place in my heart.
Old 12th January 2012, 17:30   #195
BHPian

My last post on the Fortuner was in October 2011 when it had completed 40,000 kms. Since then it has covered another 9000 kms and has had a pretty eventful 3 months.

The wing mirrors were stolen ..again! These were duly replaced. The brake discs in front had some uneven wear so were sent for buffing and the brakes are now performing upto par.

November was a very busy work month and December saw a very tired Fortuner owner aching for a break. This came in form of the test drive of the Bentley GT that had been planned in Rajasthan for so long materializing.

I left Delhi just before 4 am and reached the hotel in Jaisalmer around 4 pm after covering 860 odd kilometers.

The roads of Rajasthan are something else! I will let the pics do the talking..

Early morning start from delhi..it was pretty cold.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1679.jpg

Dawn breaks on the highway
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1700.jpg

Flat and wide Jaipur Kishangarh road
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1704.jpg

A while to go yet..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1719.jpg

Traffic jam in Rajasthan is very different from Delhi jams..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1728.jpg

Flat endless stretches..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1741.jpg

..and as straight as an arrow
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1746.jpg
allow for good cruisin speeds..the Fortuner was very stable at these speeds and it felt like it could do this all day long
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1747.jpg

No traffic in sight
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1752.jpg

Parked up after 860 odd kilometers of non stop driving..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1759.jpg

The Taj Rawalkot Hotel Jaisalmer
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1778.jpg

Next day saw us on the roads again..headed toward the dunes.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1807.jpg

Sam Sand dunes outside Jaisalmer..Pakistan is 40 odd kms from here.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1810.jpg

The Skoda could not cope with the sand once it went on it..
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1813.jpg

Fortuner to the rescue
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1814.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1815.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1816.jpg

We came across a Desert Rally
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1819.jpg

..and saw this beauty!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1820.jpg

The Fortuner felt right at home with the other offroaders!!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_1822.jpg

To be continued..
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks