Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 17:01   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: White Toyota Fortuner TRD- Trotting along past 55,000 Kms.

Mannuj! Great Pictures after a long time. How did you manage to get the bookings inside the Park? It's mostly booked all the time as its dirt cheap as far as my knowledge goes. Do let us in the secret/contacts as I plan to visit Corbett very very soon on Falcon's 1st trip there.
Old 13th January 2012, 17:11   #212
BHPian

Ramganga Resorts and Marchula

Corbett had been fun and we left after a hearty breakfast for our next destination..Marchula.

There is a hotel there called Ramganga Resorts which is an old favorite of mine and anyone going there will enjoy the spectacular location, superb hospitality and sumptuousness of the buffet.

The picturesque road to Marchula.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2394.jpg
..has beautiful vistas.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2395.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2396.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2397.jpg
Parked up at Ramganga Resorts
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2416.jpg
Fortuners first visit..my 5th.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2422.jpg
View from the tent.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2424.jpg
This Bamboo was very small when i first visited years ago.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2425.jpg
Our Tents and the Fortuner parked next to them
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2426.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2427.jpg
View of the Ramganga River from the hotel lawns. This River is teeming with fish and even the odd crocodile.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2437.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 17:24   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Mannuj! Great Pictures after a long time. How did you manage to get the bookings inside the Park? It's mostly booked all the time as its dirt cheap as far as my knowledge goes. Do let us in the secret/contacts as I plan to visit Corbett very very soon on Falcon's 1st trip there.
hi dkaile! I'm glad you liked the pics! Did not have bookings as when i had called the Ramnagar reservation office (05947-251489) earlier they said they were booked up and did not have rooms available. But past experience has taught me that getting there around 8 am and being first in line gives you a good chance of getting atleast one room , or in this case two.

The Touts and tour operators book the rooms and create this artificial shortage. Infact the two rooms in the New Forest Rest House adjacent to the one we stayed in remained unoccupied even though there were people in line begging for rooms outside!!

I would suggest getting there early and trying your luck. We were also prepared to just go on to Ramganga Resorts for our stay and just have a day visit into the park through the Tour operators (at inflated rates), in case we would not have been able to secure the two rooms we required for the five of us.

Corbett used to be cheap..not anymore. Car entry has gone up from Rs.100-to Rs.250 to Rs.500 now (per day). Rooms at Bijrani, Jhirna etc which were available for 300 are now 1000 per day. Lunch and dinner has gone up from Rs.100 to 200 per person per meal. It all adds up.

But to be fair the facilities inside have improved also. There are new modern toilets for one thing and the food at the Jhirna Canteen was very clean and tasty. I would still suggest you carry extra sheets to spread on the beds and under the blankets that they provide.

Hope this helps :-)

Last edited by Manuuj : 13th January 2012 at 17:27.
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 17:30   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
We were also prepared to just go on to Ramganga Resorts for our stay
Thanks Mannuj. Last time I stayed at Corbett Riverview Resort and its rates have also gone up considerably. Do also share the Contact Details/Rates at Ramganga Resorts and other nearby places that you have stayed at. Also the Distance from Corbett Gate to Ramganga Resort? Its always better to quote known contacts like you to these hotel wallahs to get best rates/deals.
Old 13th January 2012, 17:38   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Manuuj,
What can I say ? Let me attempt.
- Firstly a big shabaash/taaliyan on having got the right profile picture/ avatar - of the Fortuner in the desert. Took a long time - but come it did.
- Extremely sorry to have read about the pilferage of the OVMs. It send a shiver down my spine as well. But tell me with your vehicle being parked in such a secure location (residence) how did lightning strike twice ? Want to bet it's the same guy/guys - knowing you and your habits pretty well ?

- A wonderful report and a fabulous set of snaps in all the installments of your report/s. Delighted to note that despite all the loading (albeit with fiery liquids mostly !) and fairly aggressive speeds you got a healthy FE returns of 10+. Looks good !

- Glad to note your steadfast loyalty to the classic Fortuner !

- Congratulations on touching the 45K klicks. May you have many, many more multiples of this figure in the most delightful, safe manner.

Q - Did you claim insurance for the replacement of the OVMs. How much did they cost you totally this time ? Last time I recollect you saying it was 17K for the pair.

Good Luck. Keep those reports coming in !

PS: From your next set of Corbett snaps which just came in mail:

What did you do for the elephant to insult you with the traditional Maori insult - of showing its bare bottom ?!! Whackapoo !
Hahaha! Guderian your displeasure at my Profile pic change had been noted and corrective action taken as soon as a suitable picture had been taken. Glad to note that it meets with your approval!

As far as the ORVM's go the thieves climbed over a locked gate, removed the cover of the Fortuner, very neatly cut of the Wing Mirrors and then after politely re-covering the car made off with their booty.

The wing mirrors cost 14,000 plus taxes and not 17,000 for the pair. This means a cool 30,000 down the drain if u do not claim insurance. If u do claim insurance you pay 17,000 and lose your NCB to boot.

I went to Jama Masjid and bought mine this time. No righteous heroics this time thank you.These costed 4,000 for the pair.

The Fortuner is just Shy of the 50K mark now and doing well. Hope you enjoy the next set of pics also.

Last edited by Manuuj : 13th January 2012 at 17:42.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 23:29   #216
Senior - BHPian

Wow Manuuj fantastic back to back trips!

Your Corbett trip made me envious. I had almost finalized plans for driving down just around that time, but decided against it at the last moment.

I have always wanted to take the Fortuner on a proper safari within the jungle, but not done it because I can't really drive and take decent photos at the same time. Maybe I should try it once.

I do have plans to come down to Corbett and Kaladunghi. Will give you a buzz before I do to check whether you are planning any more trips.

Edit: really liked your pictures. Seems you have taken some more care than usual this time :-)

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th January 2012 at 23:58.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:00   #217
BHPian

Quote:
hi dkaile! I'm glad you liked the pics! Did not have bookings as when i had called the Ramnagar reservation office (05947-251489) earlier they said they were booked up and did not have rooms available. But past experience has taught me that getting there around 8 am and being first in line gives you a good chance of getting atleast one room , or in this case two.

Manuuj

Excellent piece of advise and great info about corbet. Congrats on the 45K mark. Your fort is munching miles for breakfast lunch and dinner .
Does that Ramganga resort has a website ?

Sad to hear about the mirrors. I always thought the thieves don't stike twice at the same place. But obviously i am wrong. It really hurts and hurts more when you have that frustrating feeling of not able to do anything about it . On a lighter note do put in some kind of marking on the mirrors. You might endup getting the same ones in when you go shopping .

Wanted to know what exactly is included in the service charges for without oil change service. Like your 45K service cost was only Rs 600 which included service, both under and top wash, tyre rotation.
Here in Bhopal the dealer charges extra for top wash, tyre rotation apart from the Rs 600. Whats cooking here...??
Old 14th January 2012, 12:49   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Wow Manuuj fantastic back to back trips!

Your Corbett trip made me envious. I had almost finalized plans for driving down just around that time, but decided against it at the last moment.

I have always wanted to take the Fortuner on a proper safari within the jungle, but not done it because I can't really drive and take decent photos at the same time. Maybe I should try it once.

I do have plans to come down to Corbett and Kaladunghi. Will give you a buzz before I do to check whether you are planning any more trips.

Edit: really liked your pictures. Seems you have taken some more care than usual this time :-)
Thank you Nilanjan for the kind words! It means a lot that you liked my pcs as everyone who is on tbhp knows what an accomplished photographer you are. Maybe the Pics look better coz i used a real Camera (a palm sized Canon Ixus) rather than my cellphone this time.

When u feel like going to Corbett do let me know. If i can take time of the Bison and Fortuner can do it together. In any case will be happy to help you with any info u need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Manuuj

Excellent piece of advise and great info about corbet. Congrats on the 45K mark. Your fort is munching miles for breakfast lunch and dinner .
Does that Ramganga resort has a website ?

Sad to hear about the mirrors. I always thought the thieves don't stike twice at the same place. But obviously i am wrong. It really hurts and hurts more when you have that frustrating feeling of not able to do anything about it . On a lighter note do put in some kind of marking on the mirrors. You might endup getting the same ones in when you go shopping .

Wanted to know what exactly is included in the service charges for without oil change service. Like your 45K service cost was only Rs 600 which included service, both under and top wash, tyre rotation.
Here in Bhopal the dealer charges extra for top wash, tyre rotation apart from the Rs 600. Whats cooking here...??
The website for Ramganga Resorts is: Corbett Ramganga Resort

It has all the info u need.

The tyre rotation and balancing was done for free as i had been charged at my last service but had made a complaint on the follow up call from them that i wasn't satisfied.

The full wash and cleaning is included. Galaxy Toyota is really a fantastic dealership..i daresay the best Toyota dealer in the country (besides being the largest).

Its sad about the Wing Mirrors buddy..i have just resigned myself to it being a result of Karma or Kismet. If it has to happen again.. it will. I choose not to fret about it now. (Maybe coz i can get a pair for under 4000 now as opposed to 30,000++ ..hahaha!)

Last edited by Manuuj : 14th January 2012 at 12:54.
Old 14th January 2012, 15:21   #219
BHPian

Marchula-Manila-Marchula

We all were up early the next day and after a hearty breakfast decided to take the advice of the Hotel GM Mr. Surendar Pal (What a Gentleman!!) and go visit the beautiful village of Manila and have a picnic somewhere.

The hotel packed a nice lunch for us, with plates and cutlery and gave us Mats to spread so we may lie on them in the sun. They even gave us a large plastic bag to collect any waste that we might have, when i asked them for it.

Will lets the pics do the talking:

A Natural Pool..can u see all the fish!!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2470.jpg

Note from Team-Bhp Support: Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving and any mention of alcohol. Hence posts containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly) are not allowed.
Group shot..thats me in the centre.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2472.jpg
My friend graciously holds up the bridge.
Attachment 871375
The Bridge Across the River Ramganga..the fortuner is the white spec in the left corner
Attachment 871376
Sat by the river for a while..Can you hear it??
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2491.jpg
View from Manila
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2498.jpg
Went of the road to find a place with a view to sit and eat our Picnic at.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2501.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2502.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2503.jpg
Parked up and had a nice relaxed lunch
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2505.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2510.jpg
Lay in the grass in the soft sun and took in the views
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2513.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2515.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2524.jpg
A friendly hill dog came a vistin'
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2534.jpg
All aboard!!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2537.jpg
A high peak came into view as the clouds parted.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2540.jpg
The road back down after a day well spent.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2541.jpg
Sunset..this one took took my breath away.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2544.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2552.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2557.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2560.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2563.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2566.jpg
Moon and Venus
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2562.jpg
Back at the hotel we sat by the fire staring into it..reflecting upon the day.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2570.jpg

to be contd..

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th January 2012 at 14:29.
Manuuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 00:06   #220
BHPian

Hi Manuuj,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your account of recent journeys into the woods..
Nicely illustrated too.

Great Accomplishment achieved - this time with the Fortuner galloping in the meadows of Corbett National Park!
I must say you did work your way around talking the 'Forest Dept.' guys into letting them take your beast in the territory..
Guess they are relaxing the "no Diesel vehicles' in protected forests in that area.

Re: engaging the Low differential locks, did you need to engage them quite often? How did the car perform in the Rajasthan sand dunes?
Old 15th January 2012, 02:35   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi Manuuj,

I must say you did work your way around talking the 'Forest Dept.' guys into letting them take your beast in the territory..
Guess they are relaxing the "no Diesel vehicles' in protected forests in that area.

Re: engaging the Low differential locks, did you need to engage them quite often? How did the car perform in the Rajasthan sand dunes?
Glad you liked the pics Monaro.

The fact is that there is NO WAY i would have been allowed to take my vehicle into the park if it was expressly forbidden.

There is no chance the officials would have risked their jobs by allowing me to take the Fortuner in no matter how tempting the inducement, of which i can assure you, there was none.

I suspect that there is no rule that states that Visitors staying INSIDE the park overnight may not take their vehicles inside. It is only DAY VISITORS who are not allowed (which i feel is right and in the interest of the animals)

I think that is how things stand at Corbett for the moment.

For when i had hired the gypsy, thus fulfilling their basic requirement i was allowed to take my vehicle inside and given a receipt with my vehicle number on it for the sum of Rs.500 entry fee that i was charged.

No government official or department goes out handing Official Receipts for special favors or illegal activities. If they had taken the money under the table or for that matter any money under the table, for allowing me to take the Fortuner in, i would have thought differently.

The Fortuner behaved very well both on the desert sand and jungle terrain which to be fair any softroader would have managed also. The LL was engaged only once on the steep descent, and that was mainly to keep the revs and speed as low as possible.

Trust me buddy, we Fortuner owners own absolute gems.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 18:31   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"Trust me buddy, we Fortuner owners own absolute gems....
...And are ourselves true gems ?!!"

Once again delightful snaps. Overall loved the look of the Fortuner in the 'rough' sorroundings !
The only thing I thought I looked at with askance was the 'Sport' kitted front and back bumpers. Gives it a very matronly look those additional inches of plastic. And also a bit out of place in the sorroundings. The 'standard look' would have been great, to my eye.
Tell me, those additional inches on the bumper - doesn't it scrape and grate around when you go to such places ?
Too late or can you do something about it ? A chop/tuck of the offending couple of inches in the front and back ? A little circumcision if you may call it that !

Last edited by Guderian : 15th January 2012 at 18:40.
Old 15th January 2012, 21:51   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
...And are ourselves true gems ?!!"

Tell me, those additional inches on the bumper - doesn't it scrape and grate around when you go to such places ?
!
The add on kit has been designed by Toyota and does not affect the ground clearance at all. The rear one for example neatly covers the spare wheel and kind of wraps under it, with no room to spare so the the clearance and departure angles remain identical to that of the regular bumpers. I measured the distance from the ground of the front bumpers to a Fortuner without the kit and there wasnt any difference there either.

Its more a visual thing. I like the look personally, even though it wasnt by choice. My Fortuner came pre-kitted from the showroom as my first few posts explain. :-)
Old 15th January 2012, 22:48   #224
BHPian

Hi manuuj its nice to find a fellow cottonian on t bhp i am very happy and which year did you pass out in and your house curzon,ibbetsion,rivaz or lefroy
Old 15th January 2012, 22:55   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajwasingh View Post
Hi manuuj its nice to find a fellow cottonian on t bhp i am very happy and which year did you pass out in and your house curzon,ibbetsion,rivaz or lefroy
Lefroy!!! and I was there from 1980-1985. Brig.S.J Mukand was my headmaster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks