Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 20:03   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: White Toyota Fortuner TRD- Trotting along past 55,000 Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
I was planning to book a AT fortuner,but after going through your travelogue,I have made up my mind to buy a 4x4 manual fortuner.
Besides the above mentioned benefits by Manuuj, you will in addition get the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) which comes 'exclusively' on the 4x4 version of the facelifted Fortuner. What then, if I may ask, will you do with the 5OO and why a sudden change from the XUV to the Fortuner?
Old 17th January 2012, 20:17   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
Besides the above mentioned benefits by Manuuj, you will in addition get the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) which comes 'exclusively' on the 4x4 version of the facelifted Fortuner. What then, if I may ask, will you do with the 5OO and why a sudden change from the XUV to the Fortuner?
Thanks dkaile.
Xuv will be used by my dad.
Xuv is a great vfm suv for its excellent price point.
However i am smitten by the face lifted fortuner.
Old 31st January 2012, 15:56   #243
BHPian

Mannuj

Envy you mate. You have a reliable SUV and the time to spare! I think the Safari tagline - 'Reclaim your life' fits you to the hilt and minus the niggles. I have been planning to own a SUV for quite sometime now but the pocket has not allowed that dream to come true till now.

Your thread brings a smile to my face every time I refresh or go back to the first page. Thank your stars and continue with your adventures! All the best and keep posting..

Anand
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:45   #244
BHPian

First milestone- 50,000 kms completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtalwar View Post
Mannuj

Envy you mate. You have a reliable SUV and the time to spare! I think the Safari tagline - 'Reclaim your life' fits you to the hilt and minus the niggles. I have been planning to own a SUV for quite sometime now but the pocket has not allowed that dream to come true till now.

Your thread brings a smile to my face every time I refresh or go back to the first page. Thank your stars and continue with your adventures! All the best and keep posting..

Anand
Thank you very much for the kind words Anand. The Fortuner truly is a very reliable and accomplished vehicle. It has had a very positive impact on my life. Some of the last two years best moments have been with me behind the wheel of the Fortuner.

Well the news is that the Fortuner crossed the 50K Kms mark today 2 years 2 months and 12 days from the day it was acquired.

It has been an entirely trouble free and wonderful 2 years 2 months and 12 days.

It was taken for its 50,000 kms service on 15th of Feb 2012 with 49,585 kms on the clock.

The work carried out was
1) Wheel Balancing
2) Wheel Alignment
3) Engine Oil Filter replaced
4) Engine oil replaced
5) Propeller Shaft greasing (Thank you Herr General once again!)
6) Washer Fluid top up.
7) General inspection of Brakes, Fluid levels, Nuts and bolts, Cleaning of Air filter and HVAC filter etc.
8) Underbody Wash
9) Top wash and Shampoo
10) Interior dry clean and Vaccum.

The total expense was Rs 4,291/- which in my opinion is eminently reasonable.

Cant wait to hit the open road again!

Last edited by Manuuj : 23rd February 2012 at 15:49.
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:53   #245
BHPian

That is really an awesome expense figure. If you look at it from a percentage analysis, Fortuner cost of ownership may be less than a 5 lakh cheaper option over a period of time.

When is the next trip planned?

Anand
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:12   #246
BANNED

Re: First milestone- 50,000 kms completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
The news is that the Fortuner crossed the 50K Kms mark today 2 years 2 months and 12 days from the day it was acquired.

It has been an entirely trouble free and wonderful 2 years 2 months and 12 days.

It was taken for its 50,000 kms service on 15th of Feb 2012 with 49,585 kms on the clock.

The work carried out was
1) Wheel Balancing
2) Wheel Alignment
3) Engine Oil Filter replaced
4) Engine oil replaced
5) Propeller Shaft greasing (Thank you Herr General once again!)
6) Washer Fluid top up.
7) General inspection of Brakes, Fluid levels, Nuts and bolts, Cleaning of Air filter and HVAC filter etc.
8) Underbody Wash
9) Top wash and Shampoo
10) Interior dry clean and Vaccum.

The total expense was Rs 4,291/- which in my opinion is eminently reasonable.
Very very reasonable for a vehicle costing INR 2500000. In fact, my Scorpio's average service costs INR 8000-10,000.00 for its routine 10 k kms service.

Also, there has been no major replacement or repair till date which is commendable for the vehicle. Scorpios usually have their suspension bushes, a few rubber parts, and most of all, a few rattles and squeaks would generally begin to crop up.

The Fortuner seems to be holding pretty well. On a different note, how many of these 50k kms have been on rural/broken/bad roads?
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:56   #247
BHPian

Hey manuuj,
Hearty Congrats for achieving a major landmark !

Your thread has truly been an inspiration for many fortuner aspirants & owners alike.

@n.dev - as far as I know / read manuuj's thread, his roads have been mostly through the foothills of the himalayas, kumaon and the likes.
What's noteworthy is that the Fortuner has withstood the abuse thrown by such surfaces.
Old 24th February 2012, 05:31   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the news is that the Fortuner crossed the 50K Kms mark today 2 years 2 months and 12 days from the day it was acquired.
Hi Manuuj,
That is a fabulous run ! 50K KMs in a jiffy eh ? Some good amount of running there.
Congratulations on crossing the milestone.

And also heart warming to note the service report and costs.
Just a quick Q here - in the 30K service the ASC would have changed the AC and air filter elements. How much did those elements cost specifically ? If you could be kind enough to flip back the bills please !

Drive on and good luck !

Last edited by Guderian : 24th February 2012 at 05:44.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:46   #249
Senior - BHPian

Great going Manuuj!

I would like to know a little more about the Interior dry-cleaning. As I see little dirt settling on the leather seats. How much does that cost separately and what all is done?
Old 24th February 2012, 09:55   #250
BHPian

Manuuj thank you for a wonderful narrative.

I too may book the 2012 AWD by next week. In a dilemma about the color as of now. Saw a picture of the white on the 2012 and was floored. Is there a difference in the older white and the white on the 2012? The new grill and subtle changes make the 2012 in white look majestic. Earlier yesterday, I went to a Toyota road show and compared the Grey and the Silver side by side and had decided to get the Grey. However, one look at the white (in pictures) is making me reconsider.

Also, does anyone know if the new touchscreen HU can be hooked to a GPS receiver? If not, what are my options?

Edit:
Also, I am not too comfortable with the idea of having the iPod out in the open. Would prefer it to be sitting somewhere where it is not visible. What are the options for achieving this?

Last edited by SumitB : 24th February 2012 at 09:59.
Old 25th February 2012, 13:56   #251
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Gee thanks for making some of us go green with envy . In 50,000 kms, my C220 had about 3.xx lakh rupees dumped in her, along with two air-con compressors, ESP modules and what not. IIRC, the total number of days off the road was near 90.

On a similar note, my Honda City Vtec experience was just like yours. The Civic also has not had a single issue in 28,000 kms. She's a keeper.

Japanese cars ROCK
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 14:34   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtalwar View Post
That is really an awesome expense figure. If you look at it from a percentage analysis, Fortuner cost of ownership may be less than a 5 lakh cheaper option over a period of time.

When is the next trip planned?
I remember checking the service cost and service parts cost of the Fortuner when before i even booked one. They had a chart which listed the costs for the Qualis, Innova and Fortuner. I was delighted to note that the costs were pretty much the same. My Qualis that has now done over 200,000 kms is still going strong and has been very easy on the pocket to maintain.

I think besides the quality and reliability of Toyota vehicles the low cost of maintenance is a very important advantage over other manufacturers.

Another reason to smile.

No trips planned yet. Wanted to go around Holi but have a friends wedding to attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Very very reasonable for a vehicle costing INR 2500000. In fact, my Scorpio's average service costs INR 8000-10,000.00 for its routine 10 k kms service.The Fortuner seems to be holding pretty well. On a different note, how many of these 50k kms have been on rural/broken/bad roads?
The Fortuner has been on a real mix of roads. It has mostly done city and highway cruising, I'd say about 80% of its 50,000 kms. Its been on Jungle tracks and broken hill roads for about 19% of its life and proper offroad about 1%.

The quality of rubber parts, bushes and suspension components really is very good and none has been replaced so far. My brake pads have not been touched either.

As far as any major replacement or repair is concerned even my 8 year old Qualis with over 200,000 kms has not had any so i am fairly confident that the Fortuner shall behave the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hey manuuj,
Hearty Congrats for achieving a major landmark !
Your thread has truly been an inspiration for many fortuner aspirants & owners alike.What's noteworthy is that the Fortuner has withstood the abuse thrown by such surfaces.
Thank you so much for the kind words Monaro. The Fortuner like the Pajero can take ample abuse in Offroad conditions and once you hit the tarmac once again drives as it just came from a routine servicing.

By the way we are still eagerly waiting for the ownership thread from you on your Fortuner. Dont keep us waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Manuuj,
That is a fabulous run ! 50K KMs in a jiffy eh ? Some good amount of running there.
Congratulations on crossing the milestone.

And also heart warming to note the service report and costs.
Just a quick Q here - in the 30K service the ASC would have changed the AC and air filter elements. How much did those elements cost specifically ? If you could be kind enough to flip back the bills please !

Drive on and good luck !
Thank you Herr General. The total 30,000 kms service cost was Rs. 6420/- and was the largest bill so far.

The Air Filter and HVAC filter were 1257/- and 1105/- (inclusive of taxes) and were changed as part of the routine maintenance.

I had noted then also that the Fortuner felt much more sprightly right after replacement of the Air Filter Element.

Look forward to some new info on the Togo Channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Great going Manuuj!

I would like to know a little more about the Interior dry-cleaning. As I see little dirt settling on the leather seats. How much does that cost separately and what all is done?
The interior dry cleaning that i am referring to is the regular cleaning with shampoo and other products that the TASS carries out as part of the service every 5000 kms. They thoroughly clean all the interiors with shampoo and other assorted products which is why they look so clean and new even today.
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2188.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img_2190.jpg

For the Leather seats i use a separate Liquid Polish by Formula one that is sprayed on and cleans and protects the Leather.

Also i never..NEVER drive with windows down unless i'm in the hills or in a dust free environment. Iv'e seen the interiors of peoples cars who drive with their windows down regularly and noticed the dust and grime in places like switches, seats, headlining etc which are very tough to clean thereafter.

Driving with AC on and windows up has actually been proven to render better fuel mileage than driving with windows down that increases drag thereby reducing mileage figures and making the interiors like that of a sleeper class bogie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Manuuj thank you for a wonderful narrative.

I too may book the 2012 AWD by next week. In a dilemma about the color as of now. Saw a picture of the white on the 2012 and was floored. Is there a difference in the older white and the white on the 2012? The new grill and subtle changes make the 2012 in white look majestic. Earlier yesterday, I went to a Toyota road show and compared the Grey and the Silver side by side and had decided to get the Grey. However, one look at the white (in pictures) is making me reconsider.

Also, does anyone know if the new touchscreen HU can be hooked to a GPS receiver? If not, what are my options?

Edit:
Also, I am not too comfortable with the idea of having the iPod out in the open. Would prefer it to be sitting somewhere where it is not visible. What are the options for achieving this?
I can only help you with the color here buddy. My choice is White for looks but i must warn you that on of the failings of the Fortuner is Quality of Paint. The White is way too soft and scratches far too easily. I really am careful about using Chamois and Microfibre cloths when the car is cleaned but after two years of use i can see a lot of swirl marks etc as you may have read in my earlier posts also. The Grey or Silver which are Metallic are harder and therefore do not wear that easily.

The "Mica super white" paint on the Classic Fortuner and the 2O-twelve is the same.

I have a touchscreen HU from Pioneer P4250DVD and my accessory guy has told me he can attach a GPS device to it where i would use the touchscreen of the Music System for about 12k. That will be my next expense.

I dont really know much about the ipod query you have as i have actually yet to go see the new Fortuner.

I leave you with these pics..

Almost there...
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img2012022500157-1.jpg

Yayy!! First Milestone achieved!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-img2012022500159-1.jpg

Last edited by Manuuj : 25th February 2012 at 14:54.
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 16:21   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Herr General. The total 30,000 kms service cost was Rs. 6420/- and was the largest bill so far.

The Air Filter and HVAC filter were 1257/- and 1105/- (inclusive of taxes) and were changed as part of the routine maintenance.

I had noted then also that the Fortuner felt much more sprightly right after replacement of the Air Filter Element.

Look forward to some new info on the Togo Channel.
Hi Manuuj,
Thanks for the information. Yes the normal service costs are fairly OK and doesn't give you a scare. Even the filter/s charges now I see are not jaw dropping, though I was fearing a kicker. Thank God.
Togo Channel - What do I say ? Like a typical Toyota product it keeps chugging along with nothing to report ! Boring if I may dare say.
But then what a delightful boredom - what more can one ask for ? There are, though, a few sparkling points in the drive dynamics that keeps one enthralled and makes up for the lack of minor trinkets !

Last edited by Guderian : 25th February 2012 at 16:25.
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:54   #254
BHPian

Its been a very satisfying two years with the Fortuner. Everything works as it has done from the first day and it feels and looks great.

I have been thinking of a few mods that i can carry out on the Fortuner. These are all mostly Cosmetic and not mechanical as i dont want to mess with the Toyota's reliability.

1) A Matte Military green paint maybe even "Jungle Leaf Camouflage".
2) Safari Snorkel Matched to paint or Matte Black finish.
3) Warne Winches in Rear and Front
4) ARB bumpers Matched to Paint
5) Raised suspension kit.
6) Matching tyre upgrade.
7) Will get the Engine "Peted" and the obligatory K&N Filter upgrade also.
8) All the interior carpeting will be removed and a waterproof easy to clean substitute installed over lots of Dynamat
9) All the chrome except for the Front Grill and Rear Door Strip is gonna go.
10) A strong searchlight installed to Right side A pillar that can be operated from the inside.
11) Lightforce Auxillary Lights installed on the ARB bumper.

I can picture it in my mind..but if there is anyone reading with decent Photoshop Skills i would love to see a rendition of it if you can.

That would really motivate me a lot. Also some suggestions where these Mods can be carried out within the NCR,with a high degree of Quality and finish would be much appreciated. Awaiting your inputs friends.

For now its just wishful thinking...Sighhhh..

Last edited by Manuuj : 2nd March 2012 at 14:06.
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:07   #255
Team-BHP Support

You cannot change color of your car according to RTO rules. You have to take permission from RTO, and get the color change notified on the RC etc.,
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks