Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 00:04   #436
Senior - BHPian

re: Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!

Hey no update here! What is happening with Obelix?

How are your Yokos holding up? I will be going for a tyre change soon, narrowed down on Pirelli and Conti A/T tyres. Apprehensive about the Yokos.

Btw, I have been travelling to NCR pretty often. If you are near Gurgaon someday, we can catch up.
Old 15th July 2014, 02:21   #437
BHPian

Hi just heard you veterans give so much info on the true SUV Fortuner, thanks. It has been so helpful and the nitty grittis really help. Well regarding the paint i spoke to a toyota dealership guy, he told me since the company Toyota are so environment friendly they prefer to use water based paints on there cars, thus the coatings are not so great. Well this seemed an end game, i spoke to the 3M people about it. They handed me a great wax polish that can be applied after each service and it looks great. I bought mine and gave it to the dealer to be applied after the wash. The results were better than most polishes i have used so far. This is not like the coating that you get at the dealership but a regular polish. Hope it maintains the impeccable look of the tank.
Old 15th July 2014, 04:32   #438
BHPian

Re: Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 3 years & 100,000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
After a really long delay in posting i shall be giving a detailed write up on Obelix very soon. This will include its 85,000-90,000-95,000 and 100,000 kms service reports as well as a report on Obelix's adventure in Leh. I am pleased to report that Obelix reached the 100,000 kms mark in the Spiti Valley on it way to Leh. There could be no better place to ring in this Milestone.

Reports coming up soon..watch this space!

Oh and a teaser..
Congrats on the 100,000 mark with your Obelix. You have teased us enough, can we have the complete trip report?
Bring it on Sir.
Old 15th July 2014, 14:25   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Congrats on the 100,000 mark with your Obelix. You have teased us enough, can we have the complete trip report?
Bring it on Sir.
It's already there in travelogue sections. Here is the link
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 23:37   #440
BHPian

Quote:
After a really long delay in posting i shall be giving a detailed write up on Obelix very soon. This will include its 85,000-90,000-95,000 and 100,000 kms service reports as well as a report on Obelix's adventure in Leh. I am pleased to report that Obelix reached the 100,000 kms mark in the Spiti Valley on it way to Leh. There could be no better place to ring in this Milestone.

Reports coming up soon..watch this space!

Oh and a teaser..
Hi Manuuj,
Congratulations on completing 100,000 Km. I was going through your ownership report and I was amazed by the low cost of ownership of Fortuner. Could you please share the cost details of 80,000 to 100,000 Km services. I am looking for a pre-owned Fortuner and found some 2010 manufactured vehicles which have covered almost 100,000 Km. I would like to know your opinion about spending money on a pre-owned Fortuner with odo reading of 100,000 KM. Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:05   #441
BHPian

re: Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!

First things first..sorry for the long long delay in posting any updates on Obelix. Obelix is at the 1,25,000 kms mark now almost and doing very well indeed! I shall put up some pics and service details soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Hey no update here! What is happening with Obelix?

How are your Yokos holding up? I will be going for a tyre change soon, narrowed down on Pirelli and Conti A/T tyres. Apprehensive about the Yokos.

Btw, I have been travelling to NCR pretty often. If you are near Gurgaon someday, we can catch up.
Hi Nilanjan! The yokos are doing very well indeed!..will easily do 80,000 kms in them. So far have done about 50,000 kms and there is loads of tread left. Will continue with Yokos only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameeracer View Post
Hi just heard you veterans give so much info on the true SUV Fortuner, thanks. It has been so helpful and the nitty grittis really help. Well regarding the paint i spoke to a toyota dealership guy, he told me since the company Toyota are so environment friendly they prefer to use water based paints on there cars, thus the coatings are not so great. Well this seemed an end game, i spoke to the 3M people about it. They handed me a great wax polish that can be applied after each service and it looks great. I bought mine and gave it to the dealer to be applied after the wash. The results were better than most polishes i have used so far. This is not like the coating that you get at the dealership but a regular polish. Hope it maintains the impeccable look of the tank.
Thanks for the info Sameer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Bring it on Sir.
I beleive Dean has answered this for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
It's already there in travelogue sections. Here is the link
Thank you Dean!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
Hi Manuuj,
Congratulations on completing 100,000 Km. I was going through your ownership report and I was amazed by the low cost of ownership of Fortuner. Could you please share the cost details of 80,000 to 100,000 Km services. I am looking for a pre-owned Fortuner and found some 2010 manufactured vehicles which have covered almost 100,000 Km. I would like to know your opinion about spending money on a pre-owned Fortuner with odo reading of 100,000 KM. Thanks in advance.
Hi Lal! Thanks for your wishes!

The service costs are detailed below:

80,000 kms- 6865/-
85,000 kms- 1809/-
90,000 kms- 7819/-
95,000 kms- 820/-
100,000 kms- 5336/-
105,000 kms- 1197/-
110,000 kms- 6810/-
115,000 kms- 4735/-
120,000 kms- 10,547/-

I shall put up a detailed report soon on all the services i have not covered so far in detail.

I absolutely think you should go in for a 100,000 kms run Fortuner. Do check the service history at any Toyota Dealership. Check and make sure it has not been in any major accidents. The quality of the interiors will tell you a lot about how this car was cared for also.

Lastly do shop around and compare prices for similar models.

The Vehicle is good for 500,000 kms EASY (as long as its properly maintained with timely services)

All the best!!
Manuuj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:10   #442
BHPian

There is something for Obelix that i am excited about. A relative of mine recently had the Ironman Lift kit installed on his Fortuner.

I was there to see the installation an take a test drive afterwards. I was happy to notice a great improvement in ride quality and naturally ride height too.

The bumps were being soaked up very well and the car felt more stable at high speeds also.

This is surely an upgrade Obelix deserves.

Here are some pics from the installation and comparison with Obelix.

The installation was a pretty straightforward bolt on job:
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-f1.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-f2.jpg

Installed and ready to roll!!
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-f3.jpg

Some comparison pics. The raised Fortuner seems to be staring down at Obelix
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-f4.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-f5.jpg
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-f6.jpg

I cant wait for this upgrade to be installed on Obelix now!

Last edited by Manuuj : 22nd August 2014 at 16:13.
Manuuj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:02   #443
BHPian

Quote:
There is something for Obelix that i am excited about. A relative of mine recently had the Ironman Lift kit installed on his Fortuner.
Hey
Obelix truly deserves such an upgrade. But please have a look at the other options too. Follow 4x4 India page. There is a particular Fortuner with a lift kit and 33inch tyres. He used iron man first but was happy with the Old Man Emu lift kit much more.

Here are a few photos:
Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-481.jpg

Obelix, the Invincible Toyota Fortuner! 2,00,000 km and going strong! EDIT: Sold!-508.jpg

PM me for the guy's name.

Might I suggest a Front bumper something like this:http://vpr4x4.com/site/
Attachment 1276928
Hope you like it.

Last edited by dean5545 : 22nd August 2014 at 18:08.
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:39   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was happy to notice a great improvement in ride quality and naturally ride height too.

The bumps were being soaked up very well and the car felt more stable at high speeds also.
That looks nice , I have been looking for something to improve ride quality for long , can you share costs and part number that your relative used , on scale of 1 -10 with 10 as best and present ride as 4 -5 how will you rate the revised ride quality .
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:17   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Lal! Thanks for your wishes!

The service costs are detailed below:

80,000 kms- 6865/-
85,000 kms- 1809/-
90,000 kms- 7819/-
95,000 kms- 820/-
100,000 kms- 5336/-
105,000 kms- 1197/-
110,000 kms- 6810/-
115,000 kms- 4735/-
120,000 kms- 10,547/-

I shall put up a detailed report soon on all the services i have not covered so far in detail.

I absolutely think you should go in for a 100,000 kms run Fortuner. Do check the service history at any Toyota Dealership. Check and make sure it has not been in any major accidents. The quality of the interiors will tell you a lot about how this car was cared for also.

Lastly do shop around and compare prices for similar models.

The Vehicle is good for 500,000 kms EASY (as long as its properly maintained with timely services)

All the best!!
Thanks a lot for the update. I am closely following Fortuner ownership threads here and totally amazed by the low ownership cost and the reliability of this vehicle. That is the reason for thinking about a pre-owned Fortuner which I will be able to afford. During my Fortuner hunt, I will keep in mind the points you mentioned. Will update you once I find one.
Old 23rd August 2014, 12:20   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey
Obelix truly deserves such an upgrade. But please have a look at the other options too. Follow 4x4 India page. There is a particular Fortuner with a lift kit and 33inch tyres. He used iron man first but was happy with the Old Man Emu lift kit much more.
PM me for the guy's name.Hope you like it.
Thanks for the heads up Dean. i do know who you are talking about. I do know about his problem. The front bumper pic did not load but i think you may have been telling me about the ARB metal bumper.

That would be the third upgrade after the lift kit and snorkel. The suspension i will use for now is the comfort one.

The one i will need with the heavy front bumper is the performance one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That looks nice , I have been looking for something to improve ride quality for long , can you share costs and part number that your relative used , on scale of 1 -10 with 10 as best and present ride as 4 -5 how will you rate the revised ride quality .
It set him back approx 80,000/-

He chose the Ironman Comfort 2" lift kit.

On a scale of 1-10 if the original ride quality is 5 then this is 8 to 8.5 easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
Thanks a lot for the update. I am closely following Fortuner ownership threads here and totally amazed by the low ownership cost and the reliability of this vehicle. That is the reason for thinking about a pre-owned Fortuner which I will be able to afford. During my Fortuner hunt, I will keep in mind the points you mentioned. Will update you once I find one.
Great! i look forward to your report on the process and vehicle. Trust me you will not regret it. Just make sure the vehicle has not been abused.

All the best!
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 10:21   #447
BHPian

Hi Manuuj,

Wonderful to see you back and write on your thread as I could not write anything about it while reading each & every line of yours.
Can't think of any Fortuner in Delhi NCR, when it comes to exploiting full potential of it.

Wish you many more miles ahead.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 21:13   #448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was going through your detailed ownership experience. Curious as to how the Fortuner is performing since its last update and how many kilometers have been logged in. Am sure, it is munching miles without any fuss.

Did you go for any suspension upgrade or any body kits?

Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 13:49   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Was going through your detailed ownership experience. Curious as to how the Fortuner is performing since its last update and how many kilometers have been logged in. Am sure, it is munching miles without any fuss.

Did you go for any suspension upgrade or any body kits?

Thanks
Obelix has indeed been munching the miles. There have been a few lovely road trips taken. It has now completed almost 1.40 lac kms.
I had the battery replaced to an Amaron one a few weeks ago. The original one from Exide lasted over 5 years.
I also had the fuel filter that was choked replaced recently.
Obelix is indeed performing faultlessly and munching away at the miles happily.
I shall post a detailed review with pics soon.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 14:36   #450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Obelix has indeed been munching the miles. There have been a few lovely road trips taken. It has now completed almost 1.40 lac kms.
I had the battery replaced to an Amaron one a few weeks ago. The original one from Exide lasted over 5 years.
I also had the fuel filter that was choked replaced recently.
Obelix is indeed performing faultlessly and munching away at the miles happily.
I shall post a detailed review with pics soon.
Manuuj, do you keep records of service and replacement costs. If so, can you share the entire amount of money you spent on this vehicle for servicing and repairs(excluding accessories?)

Also, was there any thing that failed(eg sensor, component, belt etc.,)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks