Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 09:17   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyres Changed at 45,197 Kms(Michelin Energy XM2)

Its 2014 already and on 2nd of Feb, this year my humble car would complete 5 year with me. So far so good, is all I can say. There has been no thermostat failure, all original parts are working as it is supposed to be and I am still running on original brake pads and original clutch. The clutch is still smooth after 45000 kms. Or may be, its just that I am a very good driver.

So, the preparation for my car's 5th year anniversary celebrations has already started in earnest from yesterday. A day prior to sankranti, car reaped itself a good harvest. A new set of tyres for itself. Well, I feel it was long overdue, I was just pushing the inevitable but this time, a puncture caused by a thick screw in one of the old tyres left a hole in the tyre. Also the tyre I'd kept for stepney already had a sidewall collapsed. Moreover, felt the tyres had become quite hard and the noise have been too high due to them.

So yesterday, was the day!! Left office at 5:40 p.m, got petrol filled and headed to the tyre shop , 360 Degrees, near Gachibowli Flyover. Hyderabadi BHPians would easily locate it, if i say, it's next to Over the Flames.

After dilly dallying with various options and prices, spoke to Ravveendra and settled for Michelin Energy XM2 for stock size of 175/70 R13. Tried and negotiated hard for the price, kept them waiting for my decision, and then another try at lowering the prices.

So finally, for a set of 4 Michelin XM2, paid Rs. 19,600/- all inclusive.
All inclusive here would be, tyre cost, wheel balancing , alignment,valves for tubeless tyres, Nitrogen,100 bucks each for the old tyres and 2% charge on credit/debit card transaction.
Retained one of the old better tyres as a stepney.
All tyres are manufactured in 2013, probably in 1st/2nd week of July.

My short experience with the Michelin
Well after fitting, drove back home, via my usual, route of ORR-Narsingi-Langar Houz and Attapur. To tell you the truth, all the sounds from the car disappeared. No noise from anywhere. It all felt so silent. Can't believe, tyres can make such a difference, but it's true. I literally felt, I was floating in the car( may sound like a exaggeration, but then the old Goodyear GPS2, tube type had run for 45197 Kms, and were 5.5 years old, manufactured in Jul/Aug 2008).

Tyre noise was there but very subtle. As far as grip is concerned, frankly I never had a issue with the old GPS2. So have to see how the XM2 behaves. I am a little skeptical about the wet grip as of now compared to the GPS2, but that could be just me. Other thing is the soft side walls of the tyres, which I am worried of, but lets see how it goes.

Happy as of now. Totally!!

Other things to get done, is to change the mounting bushes for the front shock absorbers, then regular servicing by this month end.

Happy Sankranthi to everybody!! My car is already celebrating.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 14th January 2014 at 09:39.
Old 14th January 2014, 09:32   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tyres Changed at 45,197 Kms(Michelin Energy XM2)

Congrats ! Wishing you many more miles of happy driving. Come to think of it, my Ikon would have completed 5 years too, but I gave it up last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
.. all the sounds from the car disappeared. No noise from anywhere. It all felt so silent. Can't believe, tyres can make such a difference, but it's true.
That's the power of better tyres ! Watch the road grip jump up a couple of levels. This is the reason that many of us upgrade to better tyres immediately on purchase of the car. I had done the same as soon as I had got my Ikon TDCi, and have experienced the difference. (I got Yoko A-drives)
Old 16th August 2015, 03:15   #198
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,
The Ikon is doing good till now. It continues to be a good workhorse. Makes me smile every time I look at it and makes me proud of the decision we took of buying it. The car still runs on the original brake pads and disc. No clutch work still and its still smooth as butter.
The service cost has been maintained at around 2.8k to 3.5k maximum.
Took the car again to a 2200 km road trip last month to Bangalore- Ooty- Coorg- Mysore- Bangalore and then back to Hyderabad. Touch wood, climbed the ghats without fuss and threw no tantrums at all. Haven't done any engine work yet too.
Well the odo is now at 65,500Kms.
Sharing few pics.
Also the Michelin tyres need a mention here. It's been awesome til now for the 20000 kms it has done after the tyre change. No punctures and absolutely trouble free.
Attached Thumbnails
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-1439674967752.jpg  

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-1439675015056.jpg  

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-1439675053627.jpg  

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 16th August 2015 at 03:19.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 07:30   #199
BHPian

re: This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed

Happy to see that you are happy with the Ikon . The pics look nice with the cherry blossoms in the background.

I also had an Ikon 1.6 nxt, and even though it was bought used in bad condition, and I spent a fortune keeping it running, I don't regret it. The rocam is a gem, the low end torque is amazing. And the steering and chassis as well.

I bet that for the price you paid for it, (5L) you couldnt have had more fun in any other car. Reading your first post, you were going to walk away from this and get an Indigo CS, now that would have been a shame!

Hope that Ford launches something like the Ikon / Fiesta (classic) with reasonable pricing in the near future. The aspire seems to be a great car, but then it is a class below.

Enjoy your drive
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 01:51   #200
Senior - BHPian

Crossed 67676 Km on the odo

Don't have much to say. Don't have any complaints. The car is a workhorse. Have been driving it daily without an issue, though it looks like the car needs some attention. FE has dropped in last two fill ups and engine noise has increased along with increasing revvs.
Also the new horn has been a delight till now.
Attached Thumbnails
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-1446927693489.jpg  

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 8th November 2015 at 01:58.
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:54   #201
Senior - BHPian

8 years 80,000 Kms old now.

Can't believe been more than a year since I updated last.
Car just completed 8 years on 2nd February, yesterday!
2016 went little bad for the car.
Two accidents. First in March and then another in July, both with the bikers.
Even after accident, car has not given up on me. Continued to delight with its true work horse efficiency.
No complaints with it yet. On the contrary I think the car could speak, it would complain that I don't care for it like the way I used to .
Been servicing it only once a year now. Got it serviced on 26Jan for Rs.5014/- at Castrol pitstop.
Have been happy with the car to say the least.:thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails
This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-1486138611488.jpg  

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 3rd February 2017 at 21:56.
Fordmanchau is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:05   #202
Senior - BHPian

Re: 8 years 80,000 Kms old now.

Quote:
2016 went little bad for the car.
Congrats Manish! 8 years and the car looks great even now. Wish you many happy miles on it. Incidentally, your Ford is 2 years younger than mine, and yet 20000 kms ahead!

By the way, why are you visiting Castrol pit stop? Is it closer to your house?
Old 4th February 2017, 08:41   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Manish. Glad to hear the relationship is going strong. Incidentally, my car is at 1.7 lacs kms and the running has reduced drastically. Now only around 20kms a week.
Everything going fine with the car. Except for the front suspension and the lambda sensor.
Old 5th February 2017, 23:15   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Congrats Manish! 8 years and the car looks great even now. Wish you many happy miles on it. Incidentally, your Ford is 2 years younger than mine, and yet 20000 kms ahead!

By the way, why are you visiting Castrol pit stop? Is it closer to your house?
Thank you Venu sir! Except for the some dents due to accidents, car was held up pretty well indeed. No rattling or any noises from the car.
Wanted to give the car o Ford service centre itself, however for a week their pick up drivers were all booked. This Castrol pitstop is where I got the car serviced and repaired last time, hence went and gave it for servicing on 26th January. Was getting restless ,as coolant had dried up and car always had 6 monthly servicing before.
This place is also close by.
Old 9th February 2017, 18:34   #205
Senior - BHPian

Its a lovely car. I had mine for 11 years and drove ~70000 kms before i sold it. Ikon had the best balance of ride quality yet handling was outstanding. In comparion Figo felt harsh and dont even get me started on XUV . Ikon was also the first new car I bought after i started working and holds a special spot in my heart. Enjoy your ride for many more years.
Old 9th February 2017, 23:34   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Congratulations Manish. Glad to hear the relationship is going strong. Incidentally, my car is at 1.7 lacs kms and the running has reduced drastically. Now only around 20kms a week.
Everything going fine with the car. Except for the front suspension and the lambda sensor.
Amazing to hear that kind of mileage for the Ikon. Hope no engine trouble at all for you. I have changed my front shocks twice till now though. Once at around 45K Kms and second time at 71k kms.
Brake pads changed at 70K kms.
No clutch work till now. Touch wood. Going for another tomorrow morning.
Old 9th February 2017, 23:50   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amazing to hear that kind of mileage for the Ikon. Hope no engine trouble at all for you.
Nope. None.

Quote:
I have changed my front shocks twice till now though. Once at around 45K Kms and second time at 71k kms.
My shocks are really weak now, and need changing. But since the usage is very very less, I'm keeping it. Wondering what prompted you to change shocks? My weak points were lower arms, and ball joints.
Old 12th July 2017, 18:47   #208
BHPian

Re: 8 years 80,000 Kms old now.

Quote:
2016 went little bad for the car.........
:
Congratulations Fordmanchau. Happened to bump into the thread since my Ikon is going to complete 80k soon. Though it is almost 12 years old now (it was not driven much when it was an adolescent).

It was great looking up the thread right from start to finish. God bless the Ikon
Old 6th August 2017, 17:36   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
Congratulations Fordmanchau. Happened to bump into the thread since my Ikon is going to complete 80k soon. Though it is almost 12 years old now (it was not driven much when it was an adolescent).

It was great looking up the thread right from start to finish. God bless the Ikon
Thanks Navsjab!! My Ikon is now at 85,600 KM's. Thought to get the wheel alignment and balancing done, however returned without it.
The WA guy checked the tyre and took a drive, then after inspection mentioned that the lower arm is gone . The inside walls of both the from tyres has worn out.
The tyre are already 40,200Kms old and anyways was thinking of tyre change. Anyhow this came as a surprise, as had got the lower arm replaced just last year.

So big expense coming up.
Other thing troubling is that upon starting the engine, in neutral, acceleration is high and it keeps fluctuating. The mechanic said it needs to be opened and cleaned.
Need suggestions!!
Old 6th August 2017, 22:36   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The mechanic said it needs to be opened and cleaned.
What need to be opened?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks