Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 13:59   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed

Hey Manish, good to see the Ikon is keeping you happy.
I came back after being away for 2 months and was dreading going back to the car as i had forgotten to disconnect the battery :P
Went to the car, one crank and started , cant tell you how happy it made me.
Its 6.5 years old now and on its 2nd battery, done 60K kms and I still cant think of a replacement. Somethings which need to be changed are:
The windshield washer motor
The reverse light motor (no rear lights when i put it in reverse)
The diverter valve (started facing the hot air issue again)

Rest all is well (touchwood)
Old 16th January 2012, 14:48   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hey Manish, good to see the Ikon is keeping you happy.
Hey good too see you back Sam!!
Yeah, I dream that someday Ford will relaunch the Ikon with modern Eco-boost engine and spruced up interiors while retaining the outer design.
Though the car is dated, it still looks good and has a charm of its own.

The divertor valve issue hasn't come to haunt me yet luckily in these three years. Let's see how it goes from here on. But recently I noticed that my right front fog lamps is not working.
Touchwood, no serious mechanical failure till now other than the shocks going kaput.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:00   #153
Senior - BHPian

Manish, what was the symptom of the shock going kaput? Was it more bumpy, or were there some creaks and groans over bumps?
Old 16th January 2012, 15:29   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Manish, what was the symptom of the shock going kaput? Was it more bumpy, or were there some creaks and groans over bumps?
No Venu Sir, I don't recall any major creaks and groans from the shocks over potholes or hump. Infact , by going slow on humps or potholes, i didn't feel anything wrong in them.
I got the feeling that shocks have gone by the way steering was behaving.
The steering was wobbling. After turns when I used to straighten the steering , it used to wobble a bit. I could feel that the wheels are not where the steering is pointing and it would take a little effort to maneouver the steering and keep it straight. The steering also felt heavy.

Plus as I mentioned before in my post, when I went for WA & WB, the mechanic there checked for it. The wheels are not supposed to tilt sideways, if that happens its time to get your shock assemby checked.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 16th January 2012 at 15:30.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:47   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I don't recall any major creaks and groans from the shocks over potholes or hump. Infact , by going slow on humps or potholes, i didn't feel anything wrong in them.
I got the feeling that shocks have gone by the way steering was behaving.
The steering was wobbling. After turns when I used to straighten the steering , it used to wobble a bit. I could feel that the wheels are not where the steering is pointing and it would take a little effort to maneouver the steering and keep it straight. The steering also felt heavy.
Maybe because it was the front shock obs which was replaced, hence no noise or creaks heard. In my Fiesta case the rear noise was heard distinct and every bump was felt. I never found the steering to be wobbly whenever I heard the rear noise.

BTW what was the reason on failure and when was it detected?
Old 18th January 2012, 14:47   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
BTW what was the reason on failure and when was it detected?
Can't say what was the reason for failure. As I read on the forum, there are many who have got their shock absorbers replaced in their Fiesta too.
So my bet is on the poor quality of shock absorbers.
But then during my trip to Tirupati last april, i jumped over quite a few speed humps enroute and believe me, there were too many. So may be it can partially also be wear & tear.

FE UPDATE : Refilled the car today in the morning after 370kms on the Odo, and the car took 29.20 litres on the first Auto Cut off.
That works out to FE of 12.67kmpl.

But the attender filled another litre where 2nd auto cut off was triggered. That's when I stopped him to fill any further. so the final refill was 30.19 litres for 370kms, completely in city.

Works out to 12.26kmpl

A good 25% jump in FE in 2 months since we shifted to our new office building which is good 11.5kms one side. Looks like winter is really good for your pocket.

Will shortly post lasy one years fuel consumption and FE details.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:24   #157
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know about your latest experience with Ikon. Yes, I too noticed that winters are good for my ikon.
I changed all the shockers after 90K on the odo (first time). That included the complete assembly inc of tierods and all rubber. Was slightly miffed with the work at Ford because somehow visually, the front wheels didn't look properly aligned. Suspected something wrong with camber.
But 3700 kms of driving hence that, I see no undue wear and tear on my michelins (that are now 11K old). Also checked the alignment for camber readings at a trusted place and he said it looks ok too.
Apart from that I did for some good make over getting the leatherette seat covers, Hella Micro GE projector fog lamps with 55 W H3 bulbs, that is set for spread. Did the complete concealed wiring for the LCD 7" screen that I procured separately (which is detatchable). Mounted a central arm rest console to help during long drives. Now I mount the LCD screen on trips and remove it and take it home so that no one smashes my window again (as it happened almost 8 months back). The car stereo (sony xplod) plays dvds of all regions and formats and the av cable just goes in to the input here, along with the power input wiring with the male part specially done to connect with the power supply parallelly to the car stereo!

Over the last 1 month, I was getting 12 kmpl at an average in Mumbai traffic. Lesser than the 13 I used to get in Pune, but above the 11 I was getting earlier when I used to go during peak hours.

The Ikon has kept me damn happy! I can relate to what you are feeling with your ikon!
Old 18th January 2012, 15:55   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So my bet is on the poor quality of shock absorbers.
A good 25% jump in FE in 2 months since we shifted to our new office building which is good 11.5kms one side. Looks like winter is really good for your pocket.
I had written to Ford regarding the suspicion of bad quality shockobs, strangely yet to get a reply from them regarding the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Over the last 1 month, I was getting 12 kmpl at an average in Mumbai traffic. Lesser than the 13 I used to get in Pune, but above the 11 I was getting earlier when I used to go during peak hours.
Fordmanchau, MX6 - By any chance do you use the System G to achieve this super mileage. I had stopped using it a year back but looking at the way Fiesta FE has dropped, thinking to start using the additive again.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:14   #159
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fordmanchau, MX6 - By any chance do you use the System G to achieve this super mileage. I had stopped using it a year back but looking at the way Fiesta FE has dropped, thinking to start using the additive again.
Mileage for me is the measure by which I gauge the engine condition as well as my driving!
Yes I've used System G for 55K kms of the last 60K! Only 5K I couldn't use because I was searching for system G in Mumbai when I relocated.

There's another thread on System G here in T-BHP. Also at 84K kms, I did Engine Decarbonisation.

Apart from this, at 67K kms on odo, I've changed the complete clutch assembly as well. Most importantly, I restrict myself to just one petrol pump while in Mumbai, and try to tank up mostly at COCOs or other trusted pumps while on trips outside.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:39   #160
Senior - BHPian

MX6, good to see you are happy too with the Ikon. The way you have been driving the Ikon all over India, has only further cemented the durability of the car. The car is certainly for keeps.
Quote:
Apart from that I did for some good make over getting the leatherette seat covers, Hella Micro GE projector fog lamps with 55 W H3 bulbs, that is set for spread.
My seats cover are due for replacement.
Also please can you throw in some more light about the fog lamps, w.r.t cost, fitting, etc. and may be also a picture of the light.
My RHS fog lamps has gone bust, have to get it checked.
Might as well go for this Hella fog lamps.

Quote:
Did the complete concealed wiring for the LCD 7" screen that I procured separately (which is detatchable). Mounted a central arm rest console to help during long drives.
How much did the complete wiring cost you for the LCD ?was it a DIY ?
Wouldn't putting a 7" tablet with USB charging from the 12V power socket be easier ?
And about that centre arm rest, again more details and pics please.
Please post a detailed interior pics, if you get time.

Quote:
Ghodlur, I don't use System G as often as MX6 mentioned, infact in all of 24K kms, I have used System G for max 5 times may be. .I only use it when I am going for a long drive outside the city.
I use to get a poor FE of 8.5/9/9.8 kmpl in city when my office was just around 5 kms from my place. As now my office has shifted, my car gets to stretch itself on some open roads, plus there are many slopes on way , where I let go of the A-pedal.
These days I quickly shift to 3rd gear and above, previously I didn't used to get any opportunity to move to 3rd and above.
Now I even put my car on 5th gear and drive at 50km/h.
Moreover, I feel the cold air in winter is also doing its bit to increase the FE.
Last 3 times, I was getting a FE of 11.8kmpl. After a long time I have achieved a FE of 12kmpl in city.
May be you need to adjust your driving style a bit, or check the fuel quality, spark plug , injectors, etc. I also refill from a same IOC pump always in city or from Shell.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 18th January 2012 at 16:41.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:42   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Hella Micro GE projector fog lamps with 55 W H3 bulbs, that is set for spread.
Dang! How it pains to know this car was standing next to mine at Oye Punjabi and I missed seeing these lights!

Pray tell us where did you get the lights from and for how much. I have a lights upgrade for my Ikon on cards, including clear lens headlights.

The ordinary foglight prices quoted at local accessory stores are like 1K or thereabouts for a pair, while for clear lens headlamps the prices are in the range of 3k to 4k (for a pair). So I am trying to budget a total of about 5k for the lights upgrade. Depending on the quality of your fogs, I may want to up my budget to accomodate them.

Are there any better headlights available for the Ikon, maybe projectors, from Hella or other reputed brands?

Last edited by honeybee : 18th January 2012 at 17:50.
Old 19th January 2012, 07:45   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only 5K I couldn't use because I was searching for system G in Mumbai when I relocated.

I restrict myself to just one petrol pump while in Mumbai, and try to tank up mostly at COCOs or other trusted pumps while on trips outside.
Mani Sir, You should be able to source the System G at any BPCL petrol bunks. It is trait which is commonly found in most BHPians to refuel at a trusted pump, we all do have our favourites.

Quote:
How much did the complete wiring cost you for the LCD ?was it a DIY ?
Wouldn't putting a 7" tablet with USB charging from the 12V power socket be easier ?
And about that centre arm rest, again more details and pics please.
Please post a detailed interior pics, if you get time.

check the fuel quality, spark plug , injectors, etc. I also refill from a same IOC pump always in city or from Shell.
@Fordmanchau, I had got the spark plugs replaced in my Fiesta during the recent servicing, although the mileage increase in not that noticeable but will keep a track on it. Even I do fill at one IOC petrol bunk regularly.

@Mani - Do post the LCD mods details with pics in a seperate thread if possible.
Old 19th January 2012, 10:11   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mounted a central arm rest console to help during long drives.
This i have to see. I was looking around for a similar setup for a long time, but was unable to come across one for the Ikon. Please include detailed pics, of how it has been attached as well.

Quote:
The Ikon has kept me damn happy! I can relate to what you are feeling with your ikon!
I totally relate. This is the major reason why we still continue to retain the Ikon, despite getting the Scorp.
Old 30th January 2012, 15:08   #164
Senior - BHPian

3 yr/60,000kms service Report - at 24,524kms

My car will complete 3 yr on 2nd Feb 2012. But gave it for servicing a little ahead of schedule on 28th Jan 2012,as it was a saturday. The odo then was at 24,524 kms.

Had few issues to report that I wrote on a piece of paper and gave it to the driver who had come to pick up the car. These were
1. General servicing including wash and vaccum
2. Right side fog lamps not working- had to replace the bulb.
3. Check all the shocks absorber, and replace if bad
4. Brake pads and disc cleaning
5. Check the steering- the steering was not coming back on it's own after right U-turns and I had to pull it back.
6. Replace roof lamp assembly
7. Check Autocop remote locking- lights were not blinking during locking/unlocking.
6. Place tissue boxes

Gave the car and came to office on bike. Was in touch with the pick up driver. He generally keeps updating me about the progress of the work being done on the car.

The service advisor then called me detailing the list of works to be done and added few more things to be done.
1. The LHS front shock was found weak and needed replacement - I asked them to replace it under extended warranty , which was done.

2. Power steering fluid needed refilling - 100 bucks for this.

3. RHS headlight bulb was found fused- I refused to accept it as it was working before I gave the car. The driver who picked the car , confirmed that, so they replaced it FOC. I asked them sepcifically for 90/100 bulbs as my headlights are running on those since last 2.5 years.

After office at around 1:30p.m, I visited the Tolichowki Service centre and appraised over what has been done and what is pending.
By that time, they had replaced the LHS front shocks and the roof lamp assembly.
The original roof lamp assembly in my car is beige colored and they replaced it with grey colored one. I specifically told them to remove the grey colored assembly and replace it beige one. They didn't had it in stock at tolichowki, so arranged for it from their other branch.

And I was surprised to know that the grey colored was priced at 900/- while the beige color was of Rs. 300/- only. . I mean how can this be!!

I also checked the headlight and LHS was not working. The driver called the mechanic and he checked the headlights again and surprisingly, there was no bulb inside the headlight. They put it back and it was fine.

I came back after reminding them to take good care of the works.
The car was delivered to me at 7:15p.m in the evening. Everything is fine. And yes the driver arranged for two tissue boxes for me. He said they are now giving it only for the new cars.

My biggest grouse : I was denied the 4th year extended warranty.
They have stopped giving it for all the Ikon's. So now I am on my own now. Gotta find a FNG now for the servicing and all mechanical repairs.

Have to renew the insurance in two days!
Old 30th January 2012, 15:26   #165
Senior - BHPian

Shocks going bust at 24k?? Do you drive motocross?

The catch here is if you are to replace a shock absorber this late, ideally you should replace both, as a pair. If it were within a few thousand kilometres, it would be good to replace just one, but at nearly half their working life, replacing one will probably create an imbalance in the handling.

Did you notice any problems with the front suspension or was it just an item included in the check list? How do you know the left shock absorber was so weak that it warranted a replacement?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks