Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2017, 00:04   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Other thing troubling is that upon starting the engine, in neutral, acceleration is high and it keeps fluctuating. The mechanic said it needs to be opened and cleaned.
Need suggestions!!
Glad to see your 1.6! I sold mine about 7 years ago. It was a brilliant car but a white elephant for me. Last I know about it, it was used as a parts car.

There are numerous things that cause these fluctuations, i think there is an o2 sensor, i forgot. Usually, cleaning the o2 sensor or the sensor near the intake manifold fixes the fluctuations. But I will let seasoned ex 1.6 owners to reply.
Old 13th August 2017, 23:34   #212
BHPian

Quote:

So big expense coming up.
Other thing troubling is that upon starting the engine, in neutral, acceleration is high and it keeps fluctuating. The mechanic said it needs to be opened and cleaned.
Need suggestions!!
The lower arms are not too expensive if I remember correctly. I had got them replaced around a year back because of the worn out bush.

Regarding the acceleration, do you mean to say that the idling is higher than usual? Check for any leaks in the hose that connects to the PCV valve. This is the one just above the engine cover.

Last edited by navsjab : 13th August 2017 at 23:36.
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:49   #213
Senior - BHPian

So now my Ikon got company. Ecosport Platinum model arrived home on 23rd December 2017.
Ikon is doing okay. Presently at 88630 Kms. Would complete 9 years on Feb 2nd this year.

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-1515003478855-rotated.jpg

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-1515003491973.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 4th January 2018 at 02:11. Reason: Image rotated.
Fordmanchau is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 13:05   #214
BHPian

Quote:
So now my Ikon got company. Ecosport Platinum model arrived home on 23rd December 2017.
Ikon is doing okay. Presently at 88630 Kms. Would complete 9 years on Feb 2nd this year.
Congrats on the Ecosport, eagerly waiting for the review. I hope that the Ikon is retained. Does the platinum edition come with 3 headrests at the rear?
Old 4th January 2018, 13:13   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Buddy, great choice

I still have my Ikon too (with dad now) 13 years now, the Odo stopped at 80K odd kms about 4 years ago so its probably well in its 90s and still going strong. Dad's Ikon is also going on strong with 10-11 years under the belt but probably about 30 K kms still, he takes care of both the Ikons. Still drive like a dream, both the Ikons, great cars.
Old 5th January 2018, 21:28   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Congrats on the Ecosport, eagerly waiting for the review. I hope that the Ikon is retained. Does the platinum edition come with 3 headrests at the rear?
Thanks a lot Chiranjit.
Yes, Ikon would stay with us. Would start a review thread after munching decent kms.
Yes, Platinum edition comes with 3 headrest at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Congratulations Buddy, great choice

I still have my Ikon too (with dad now) 13 years now, the Odo stopped at 80K odd kms about 4 years ago so its probably well in its 90s and still going strong. Dad's Ikon is also going on strong with 10-11 years under the belt but probably about 30 K kms still, he takes care of both the Ikons. Still drive like a dream, both the Ikons, great cars.
Hello there!! Long time.!! Hope you doing good. Glad to know that both the Ikon's are still there. My Ikon has been my daily run. No complaints from engine and body except that I need to take better care of it. Its service time. Been 9K kms since last service.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 00:06   #217
BHPian

The Ikon is indeed iconic. We had one Ikon Flair in our family about 10-11 years back and I can tell you that the 1.5 L Rocam Petrol Engine was phenomenal. The stability of the car at high speeds was simply brilliant and pick up was addictive. I don't think any other car in that price bracket even came close to it in these two aspects. The only drawbacks were head room for tall and healthy persons and spare parts were expensive. I remember in those days a pair of headlamp set costed around ₹ 4500.00. I was also considering to buy one when I was considering to buy a car in 2010 but as it was almost obsolete ultimately went ahead with a Ritz VDi. But I still believe the Ikon was truly an enthusiasts car and fun to drive.
Old 5th February 2018, 15:59   #218
Senior - BHPian

Now at 89000 Kms

So this Feb 2nd, Ikon completed 9 years with us. Got the 90K kms service done, this time at the Ford A.S.S .
Nicely done. Car comes back feeling fresh and rejuvenated. Feels tight and taut. All nice and clean after the wash.
Total bill came to INR 4721. Would post the bill pic soon

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th February 2018 at 08:51. Reason: Corrected typo - 'post'.
Fordmanchau is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 08:40   #219
Team-BHP Support

Good to see long term fellow Ikon owners on here. It's been ages since i've interacted with some of you guys!

True to the theme, we also still have our Ikon Flair, which is now doing duties at my in-laws place as we have emigrated. I drove it around the last time i visited India, and even drove it down from KL to Bangalore last year. It's beginning to show its age a bit, more so owing to reduced use rather than neglect. It's been over 11 years since i drove it out of the showroom in Bangalore as a brand new car! It still brings joy when tackling corners, and that initial thrust despite its meagre 1.3L engine brings a smile. Comfort wise i have moved on, but the josh machine still holds a place in my heart.

I did have some pics i had clicked of it last time, need to find them and will post later.

EDIT:
Found one.

This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed-e8ce457f3d5d435ba48ad4981fc50243.jpeg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th February 2018 at 08:49. Reason: Merged posts.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 09:32   #220
Senior - BHPian

Now nearing 91000 Kms.
Finally changed the tyres at 90703 Kms around a week back to Yokohama Earth 1. Cost me 4100 a piece . Changed all four. Cost me total of 17220/- including balancing and alignment.
The tyres are good but definitely not as quiet the Michelin XM2 that i had before. But the Michelin's gave up early, though probably i won't blame the tyres for it.
Earth 1 seems to be good till now. Grip level and comfort is good. Have done only 100 kms till now so not much to comment here.
Meanwhile got the car checked for front shock absorbers and a noise from the steering rack. Also had the car checked for battery drain issue. Few bushes were adjusted and replaced and wiring corrected. Cost me a total of 1000/- bucks at the new garage. 😊
Old 17th June 2019, 13:27   #221
Senior - BHPian

Hello after a long time. Haven't updated the thread for long. Since the Ecosport joined the garage, Ikon has not run much. As of today it is at 94380 kms. Been passing through a little troubles here and there.
Battery trouble : As its not run much, battery is getting discharged in 3-4 days time. Have Amaron battery and their service is not very quick. Finally after 4 times, where they took the battery, checked it, charged it and returned it saying there is no defect, it was finally replaced by a new battery under warranty. They have been insisting to get the wiring checked for error in earthing of the car. Got it checked twice but still no resolution. Lets see how the new battery works.
Front shock absorbers trouble: the weakest link of the car. Have replaced these parts thrice now. It fails quite regularly. Got the front shock absorbers,lower arms and mounting bush replaced completely
Total damage 14200, plus miscellaneous works like headlight adjustments. Just took a test drive and its driving like new again. Would post the bill pic.All done at a local garage near my place.
Fordmanchau is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 06:17   #222
Team-BHP Support

Re: This Ford is my IKON - 89,000 km and 9 years completed

Quote:
Hello after a long time. Haven't updated the thread for long. Since the Ecosport joined the garage, Ikon has not run much. As of today it is at 94380 kms. Been passing through a little troubles here and there.

Front shock absorbers trouble: the weakest link of the car. Have replaced these parts thrice now. It fails quite regularly. Got the front shock absorbers,lower arms and mounting bush replaced completely
Total damage 14200, plus miscellaneous works like headlight adjustments.
Good to see an update on this thread. Our Ikon has been laid to rest having served us faithfully for 13 years. Will be posting an update on my thread soon.

As for the issues you've reported, the front shocks were replaced on our car as well. Was being maintained by my FIL, so i dont have all the details.

How about some pics of your car?
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks