Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 16:24   #166
BHPian

re: My new Highway Star - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic ;UPDATE : 77,000kms completed !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congratulations on completeing >50000 km.
I have read great things about the engine.

Can you describe the AT box performance (including the details on how good the manual mode is) for our reading pleasure? I just admire this concept of automatic GBs with manual mode - best of both worlds really - shift when you want without hurting your left knee. I wanted to go for one but when I bought the TSi, Skoda did not offer DSG on petrol Laura...and Cruze would be better - same concept and convinience but with traditional reliability of torque convertor. Are the shifts slow/noticeable? DSG is a magic on those two fronts. Also, some RPM/speed data for every gear would be very interesting stuff if you can share.

Enjoy miles and miles...

Cheers!
At the outset let me state that the Cruze's auto tranny is designed to just convert the car into an effortless cruiser rather than an enthusiastic driving machine. I think its biggest accomplishment is in getting rid of the highly pronounced turbo-lag that the manual Cruze is (in)famous for.

I guess the ECU manages gear shifts somewhere between 1600 - 1800 rpm. The shifts are very smooth and almost seems like a CVT due to the very long gear ratios. The power delivery is extremely linear unlike the manual which goes berserk once the turbo kicks in. Though the DSG provides a far superior driving experience, in terms of in-gear acceleration figures you'll find the Cruze auto tranny is almost as competent as the DSG from VW or Ford. I've heard that GM uses the same auto tranny in several 6 cylinder cars in its stable and the performance is pretty decent.

I presume that you already know how the tiptronic manual mode works. It just holds onto a gear till you effect a change manually and thereby provides more control. In the city driving conditions it is pointless to resort to this mode since it defeats the purpose of owning an Automatic at a higher cost. It makes sense only when you are caught up in slush or while driving down deep slopes. Once I got used to the luxury of Auto tranny & Cruise control, I haven't been tempted to use it at all. However, the fact that I can resort to it whenever the situation demands gives a sense of security. Further, the manual mode isn't as much fun to use as the paddle shifts on the Civic or City since you need to take your hands off steering wheel.

From an economy standpoint, while most Cruze AT owners on the forum have reported single digit mileage figures, I've a completely different experience to share. I generally drive 60% on highways and 40% within city limits. During the first 30,000 kms, I got an average mileage of 13.3 kmpl (In this period, barring three occasions, I always stuck to two-digit speeds). Between 30,000 to 50,000 kms, I starting pushing the car up to 160 kmph and got an average mileage of 12.4 kmpl. After crossing 50 K kms mark, I've done another 2,250 kms (80% in the city) and got an average mileage of 11.6. Perhaps the P1 and P2 modes in the recently installed dual channel RD box is also to blame

I've uploaded a picture of the speedometer (on page 4 or 5 of this thread) where you'll notice the car doing 120 kmph at about 1300 rpm. Obviously it should be in the 6th gear. Even I'm curious to check the Speed versus RPM in different gears. Let me explore this weekend and revert with results.
narendra_urs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 17:08   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My new Highway Star - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic ;UPDATE : 77,000kms completed !!!

Thank you very much for an elaborate feedback.
Yes, generally my opinion on this is (from the brief TDs of DSG and occasional drives of AT cars in my friend circle, versus regular usage of my MT) :
The manual mode is generally not required in City traffic or even on the expressway/GQ when you are crusing. I feel it is useful on the undivided highways like the NH-17 where one has to move out of the lane and quickly pass another vehicle before meging back, which will need some planning and preparation on a normal AT. Manual mode feels more logical and in response to driver's input compared to AT specifically in case of downshifts, which on an AT appear artificial (derived from the A-pedal action) and delayed.

On the NH-17 and the ghat roads, I really enjoy my TSi MT: real-time command/response system, point and shoot, the Laura gearbox is super sleek, though I can not match shift-speeds of the DSG which is in milli-seconds :-)

BTW, 120kmph @1300 RPM is amazing. Super tall .
Yes, looking forward to the other ratios whenever you get time.

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 7th January 2013 at 17:12.
Old 10th January 2013, 17:20   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra_urs View Post
The most significant improvement that I've experienced is the ability to change lanes on our highways (where most of the time we encounter two trucks driving in two different lanes with a 50 - 100 m gap between them). It lets you do zig-zag driving all day long without any complain.
I didnt quite understand what you mean by zig zagging and changing lanes. What difference does a suspension bring to such a maneveor?

Quote:
I've uploaded a picture of the speedometer (on page 4 or 5 of this thread) where you'll notice the car doing 120 kmph at about 1300 rpm. Obviously it should be in the 6th gear
Are you sure its 1300RPM? I thought 120kmph comes up at 1800RPM in 5th gear in the manual cruze.

Now this has made me curious, will also check and revert back
Old 11th January 2013, 08:55   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I didnt quite understand what you mean by zig zagging and changing lanes. What difference does a suspension bring to such a maneveor?
It isn't the suspension. Bilstein B6 are the high performance Shock absorbers that induces confidence when one wants to swerve in and out between vehicles/across the lanes.

Quote:
Are you sure its 1300RPM? I thought 120kmph comes up at 1800RPM in 5th gear in the manual cruze.

Now this has made me curious, will also check and revert back
Absolutely, checkout the image # 5 on page 6 of this thread.
Old 11th January 2013, 14:55   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely, checkout the image # 5 on page 6 of this thread.
Oh yeah, saw the image and iam a bit taken aback. Then Auto and Manual have some serious difference in the gearing with auto being even taller

My assumption was also not wrong, while driving back home last evening checked the RPM which was hovering around 1800RPM at 120kmph with P1 mode of RD box.
Old 11th January 2013, 20:41   #171
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new Highway Star - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic!

Quote:
(c) The Bilstein suspension costed me Rs. 56,000 + Rs. 2000 (for installation). I got it from Hot Tracks, Bangalore who in turn sourced it from Petes. I upgraded my alloys, tyres and suspension all at once (@ 46 K kms) and the car started feeling a completely transformed after that. I was utterly disappointed with Cruze's handling right from day one (perhaps my Fiesta 1.6 Sxi which pampered me for 4 years is the culprit here). But the bilstein upgrade changed all that. It almost feels like a car on rails now. Cornering is an absolute bliss (may be the wider tyres is also playing its part). Further, I haven't scraped a single hump so far (even with full load on the unscientifically laid humps on Bangalore roads and our state highways). I'll be in HYD on 26-Jan. If you wish you can take my car for a spin to get a first-hand experience.
Does the package involve only shocks or springs too?
What is the resulting effect on ride quality. Usually it takes a hit when you go stiff like that?
Old 15th January 2013, 07:10   #172
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Does the package involve only shocks or springs too?
What is the resulting effect on ride quality. Usually it takes a hit when you go stiff like that?
Only shocks, no springs. Ride quality is much better than stock suspension
Old 17th May 2013, 10:30   #173
BHPian

how about the mileage on this?what is it you get in the city?i have the new cruze and it is giving only 8.5 in the city where the traffic is not like in metros.On highways i get 11.5-12,
Old 25th August 2013, 06:13   #174
BHPian

I've clocked 66K + kms and the average that I've got is 12.2 kmpl. In the city I generally get about 10 - 10.5 kmpl and on highways I generally get about 14.5 to 15 kmpl.
Old 28th August 2013, 15:01   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Naren for completing 66,000kms and hope all of it without any major trouble with the car?

I have edited the title of your thread accordingly. Hope your fine with it?
Old 28th August 2013, 20:25   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Naren for completing 66,000kms and hope all of it without any major trouble with the car?

I have edited the title of your thread accordingly. Hope your fine with it?
Thanks, Avinash! Touch wood, haven't faced any trouble (major or minor) till date. Cruze is my 6th car and this is the only time that I don't see any urge to upgrade even after 60 K kms. With Bilstein B6 and RD box the car drives like a brand new car.
narendra_urs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 15:48   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Avinash! Touch wood, haven't faced any trouble (major or minor) till date. Cruze is my 6th car and this is the only time that I don't see any urge to upgrade even after 60 K kms. With Bilstein B6 and RD box the car drives like a brand new car.
What a coincidence. Even my Cruze is 6th brand new car

Out of the bunch that I owned, this is the only car even at 45000kms feel like I will retain it till 1 lakh kms as I enjoy driving it so much.

Can you share some details on Bilstein?

Whats the cost?
Where did you procure it?
Some pictures of same?
Why choose B6 over B4 ? I think B4 is also there if iam not wrong
How much time it takes to install it and who did it for you
Whats the actual feeling after you change it?

Please share details/pictures of your new Michelin tyres too. Iam in market for tyres in the next couple of months

Sorry for so many questions, feel free to PM me if your not comfortable replying here
Old 29th August 2013, 16:48   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share some details on Bilstein?

Whats the cost?
Where did you procure it?
Some pictures of same?
Why choose B6 over B4 ? I think B4 is also there if iam not wrong
How much time it takes to install it and who did it for you
Whats the actual feeling after you change it?
If I may try to answer some of your queries....

1) Prices have gone up in the past 7~8 months. Falling INR will have made it even more expensive in Rupee terms. From Narendra's previous posts I gather he has paid about 56k. They should cost upwards of 70k if new set has to be imported now
2) ----
3) -----
4) B6 will give you greater damping force than the B4s. As a result you get much sportier handling. B4 is a popular as a replacement shock if your shocks need to be replaced. In fact many cars have B4s as OE. Check out this link from the Bilstein website http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/product...-service/faqs/. It'll answer lot of your questions.
5) Replacement should not take more than an hour as you get shocks which are model specific. You just need to unbolt the old shocks and bolt on the new ones.
6) I don't know how much of an improvement it makes to a Cruze. I've got them on my Laura (not sure if the OE were B4s) and the improvement in handling and damping is quite significant. The ride is bit on the firm side though. But body control is very tight and cornering ability is much improved.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 17:28   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Santosh for jumping in. 70K just for the shocks is steep. If it was 50K i might have considered them. Btw, is this price for the B4 or B6?

Iam sure the handling would improve considerably because just with a good set of tyres there is substantial improvement in the handling of the Cruze

Do you have the B4 or B6 on your Laura?

I may keep the Cruze for another 2 years, so iam still contemplating is it worth splurging this kind of money on it or not
Old 29th August 2013, 18:26   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Santosh for jumping in. 70K just for the shocks is steep. If it was 50K i might have considered them. Btw, is this price for the B4 or B6?

Iam sure the handling would improve considerably because just with a good set of tyres there is substantial improvement in the handling of the Cruze

Do you have the B4 or B6 on your Laura?

I may keep the Cruze for another 2 years, so iam still contemplating is it worth splurging this kind of money on it or not
I am talking about the B6's. As I understand Narendra also has got the B6's. With B4's you won't find any significant improvement as they are OE replacement shocks. They are much cheaper too.

The B6's (yellow in colour) are sporty dampers and will improve the handling. I changed the OE shocks to B6 recently and am loving it. My car had done about 38K kms when I went for the suspension upgrade. I wish I had done it earlier. I hope to hold on to my car till atleast 1 lac kms. If you are going to sell your car in the next two years its not worth the money, if you ask me. They used to cost 45k till a couple of years back.

The improvement in handling with better tyres is nothing when you compare it to the improvement with sporty dampers. Hope I am not confusing you even more

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 29th August 2013 at 18:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks